[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey anon, would unplugging a power supply after shutting off

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: unplug.jpg (129KB, 481x356px) Image search: [Google]
unplug.jpg
129KB, 481x356px
Hey anon, would unplugging a power supply after shutting off a computer improve its lifespan? (assuming you pressed power button again to totally drain power afterwards)
>>
Unless if you plan on owning that power supply for 50 years, it doesn't fucking matter.
>>
Yes you should do it. Trust me, I'm an electrician.
>>
>Hey anon, would unplugging a power supply after shutting off a computer improve its lifespan?
No.
>>
>>60198438
Only if you press the power button after unplugging it to fully discharge the capacitors.
>>
I also recommend sucking the plug to get the electricity left out.
>>
Maybe you'll save a bit of lifetime of the capacitors, but the additional wear on the socket probably counters this.
In real life, it's not worth it.
>>
>>60198450
This.
Don't even bother with it
>>
>>60198438
It does the opposite. Frequent power ups/downs generally shortens the lifespan of electronics.
>>
>>60198473
>In real life
You're assuming OP has a real life, while the safe bet is definitely on him not having one.
>>
>>60198438
It will keep you capacitors in top condition, which will make your PC faster and keep the quality of your computing OP.
Its worth unless you're a pleb who doesn't care about computing quality. You should also get a transformer so you're not directly connected to the grid. The grid has a lot of noise and voltage spikes that destroys your computing quality and your capacitors.
>>
>>60198438
No. I do use a surge protector and power that off after shutting down though.
>>
File: 1378359385389.gif (2MB, 294x203px) Image search: [Google]
1378359385389.gif
2MB, 294x203px
>>60198618
>>
I just don't turn my computer off, problem solved
>>
>>60198673
>and power that off
Why?
>>
>>60198438
Yes, but make sure you stick a screwdriver in the vent afterwards to ensure the capacitors are fully discharged.
>>
>>60198722
Parasitic drain. I have ambient lighting and home audio equip with a powered sub for sounds, and my older mobo lights stay on unless ulp on. fast startup off.
>>
I found good way to improve lifespan of electrical things, a surge protector.
>>
you should do it while the computer is on to save some additional seconds
>>
>>60198472
this
>>
>>60198438
You would certainly have to change your CMOS battery more frequently.
>>
>>60198450
power supplies die in like 5 years or less anon, trying to come up with ways to prolong their life isn't the most absurd thing
>>
>he doesn't yank the power cord out every time he wants to shut down his computer

you people need to leave
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.