[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

wtf i dont understand free software anymore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: sry.png (76KB, 1446x649px) Image search: [Google]
sry.png
76KB, 1446x649px
wtf i dont understand free software anymore
>>
File: 1492190023855.jpg (21KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
1492190023855.jpg
21KB, 384x384px
>>60191857
wtf i love stallman now
>>
This changes everything. I'm switching back to Windows.
>>
It's unjust because it doesn't respect the user's 4 freedoms. Even if the user makes or gets a program that allows it to modify or study the code, the program still doesn't respect the user's freedom because it doesn't allow, legally, to be modified and redistributed. (Not to mention, just modifying or studying the code with third party tools may be illegal by itself, according to some licenses.)

Just seeing the code does not make a program Libre. It only means it's open source, and that's another can of worms.

On the other hand, media with DRM is not a problem as long as the DRM can be removed. That's because DRM is the unjust part of the media, not the media itself. By removing the unjust part you regain your freedom to share, copy and reuse the media you already bought for your own personal use.
>>
>>60192240
yeah but is the media libre? checkmate
>>
>>60191857
kys mehmet
>>
>>60191857
are you retarded? do you even know what "free" means when used in software? it's literally the abc even the newest newfriend knows about, lurk moar or just go back to plebbit, probably better.
>>
>>60191857
you want him to repeat the same stuff he's been saying for decades

stuff that you can read in full on the FSF website as well as Stallman's own page
>>
>>60192249
>yeah but is the media libre? checkmate
Media is the expression of it's author, not a tool. Copying for archival purposes, sharing it and being able to reproduce it as much as you want, whenever you want are the freedoms you should have with it.

Reselling it, modifying it and redistributing it is not illegal either, under certain circumstances.

Media and software aren't the same, so the same freedom rules can vary.
>>
He's saying that you shouldn't be forbidden to run nonfree software.
If that's how you wanna live your life, so be it.
What he is saying that it isn't just to release nonfree software.

Think of it like slavery (in an exaggerated example).
It isn't unethical to be a slave.
It is however to keep slaves.

Stallman is a lot more reasonable than people make him out to be.
>>
>>60193084
wtf i love stallman now
>>
He's probably busy advocating to lower the age of consent to 8 or raging at mexicans.
Poor guy is always busy
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.