[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

For the non-minimalists, what is your reason for using GNOME

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 19

File: Screenshot_20170503_130410.png (521KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170503_130410.png
521KB, 1366x768px
For the non-minimalists,

what is your reason for using GNOME or Unity over KDE5? Have you tried sitting down and configure it to your liking before rejecting it?
>>
I just like how it is.
>>
>>60190243
I tried KDE 5 a couple of times with a different approach. I like its built in features such as kde connect and how you can customize it but I still finds myself going back to GNOME. I don't know, I seems to prefer how GNOME behave and works. Still, Plasma would be my choice if I had to ditch my crurent DE away.
>>
>>60190243
>Looks like trash
>No unique features
>Doesnt support audio balance which even the supposedly dumbed down GNOME does
>>
File: daffy.jpg (70KB, 640x598px) Image search: [Google]
daffy.jpg
70KB, 640x598px
Kde is cluttery and buggy.

I like its features and speed. I just think its needlessly messy and glitchy.
>>
>>60190243
I don't want to have to configure it to my liking. I want something that will work out-of-the-box.
>>
File: apple indians.png (299KB, 1378x1008px) Image search: [Google]
apple indians.png
299KB, 1378x1008px
I don't want to have to configure every aspect of a DE that is supposed to work out of the box. I suffered through both KDE and Gnome for years and now I just use a Mac. Fuck it. Memes aside, I get my Unix-like system without the bullshit. Yeah, $0.02 has been deposited into my account.
>>
>>60190566
Just because something is highly configurable doesn't mean it can't work out of the box.
>>
>>60190575
>Just because something is highly configurable doesn't mean it can't work out of the box.
Apparently it does when it comes to Linux. I'm not here to troll or shit on your favorite toy, but I've been a Linux nerd for years. Ets just not werf it.
>>
>>60190592
So, what is it about KDE5 that makes it unusable for you out of the box?
>>
>>60190643
Personally, I hate the clash between GTK and QT apps. That alone is enough. But there are plenty of little bugs and quirks and design flaws I just don't like very much. It might be better than gnome on some level but it's still the bad little brother that doesn't really live up.
>>
>>60190243
>configure it to your liking before rejecting it?

No thanks, pic related. My autismo is not so strong to micromanage hundreds of slide bars with decimal increments between absolutely nonsensical ends for days until it "feels right". Protip:
>it never does
>>
>>60190243
but I use KDE5
>>
>>60190554
Good thing that KDE is the DE that works the best out of the box then
>>
>>60190243
KDE is and always has been a buggy mess. GNOME has retarded design but at least it fucking works. That said, if you're not using Xfce you're doing it wrong.
>>
>>60191608
>KDE
>works [...] out of the box
No, see >>60190707
>>
>>60190243
1. Slower
2. BUggier (It automatically opens some apps like Dolphin or Qbittorrent at startup)
3. Kickoff menu has different menu entries with the same name
>>
>>60190655
>Personally, I hate the clash between GTK and QT apps. That alone is enough. But there are plenty of little bugs and quirks and design flaws I just don't like very much. It might be better than gnome on some level but it's still the bad little brother that doesn't really live up.
Yeah no, since the early kde4 days the kde devs always provided their qt themes with gtk versions. The only clash you have now is that qt5 apps don't use your gtk2 theme anymore because it got deprecated. Have fun using functional programs that don't integrate in your gnomeew desktop. I at least have every program look the same in plasma.
>>
>>60191660
Okay? What does that post have to do with what I said? KDE works the best out of the box because every other DE requires more ricing than it does to be usable. All Linux DE's suck ass in one way or the other, you just have to pick the least shitty one, which is KDE if you have a PC built in this decade and XFCE if you don't.
>>
>>60191733
you post a bunch of bullshit I just don't care about anymore. Like it or not, using two different systems with allegedly the "same" theme results in fragmentation and inconsistencies by its very nature. I don't give a shit what nonsense you can autistically type out to defend your preferences. Enjoy your inferior system.
>>
>>60190243
>what is your reason for using GNOME or Unity over KDE5

1. more stability
2. faster
3. less buggy
4. less gay
>>
>>60191686
>It automatically opens some apps like Dolphin or Qbittorrent at startup

Wow, the level of ignorance out there is just astounding.
>>
I use MATE. It's far superior to GNOME3 and KDE
>>
>>60191751
>and XFCE if you don't.
LXDE is better when it comes to that.
>>
>>60192519
I never understood people who use LXDE, just use openbox then
>>
>>60192538
>just use openbox then
That's the great thing about LXDE though.
Say, for example, you have raw openbox.
Okay, what am I going to install as panel? Uhm, tint2 is pretty popular, but fuck both python and gtk3. I'll just go with lxde-panel.
Easy power management (lid actions, battery stuff, lock screen, etc)? If I don't feel like figuring out how to set all this shit up manually, my only choices are daemons from other DEs. xfce4-power-manager is good, but requires libxfcewhatever, and so do others. I'll just use LXDE's.
Uhm, I feel like I'll get bored of browsing my files through the terminal, let's check out file managers. Nautilus is shit, Dolphin, nemo and whatever mate's is called are great, but they depend too much on their respective desktops. Both pcmanfm and thunar are pretty equal in terms of features. pcmanfm is lighter, let's go with that.

And so on and so forth.
LXDE (and now LXQt) are simple applications that help you get all the basics your desktop needs. A raw Window Manager lacks a lot, and trying to configure everything manually, while avoiding DEs can get quite tedious. LXDE gives you all the power of a lightweight Window Manager with all you need from a DE. It's a match made in heaven for the avid tinkerer.
>>
>>60190449
>Kde is cluttery and buggy.

↑ This.

KDE Plasma works like it's a lego castle built from thousands of different colours and shapes which don't fit together all that perfectly. It just doesn't feel good. KWin is also fucking disgusting and all the default effects make me want to excavate my eyes out of my head. What does it say about the Plasma when KDE 1, 2 and 3 look and feel better than what came after them?

Gnome has more unified look and feel to it. Applications in Gnome generally tend to behave similarly with each other. Most GUI software out there is written using GTK+ which ensures that in Gnome things visually look usually good. In another words, Gnome leaves more "professional" impression in many ways.
>>
KDE fucking sucks, so many bugs and so little quality control.

Meanwhile GNOME offers a slick smooth and even wayland experience. I'm not even going to try KDE Plasma/5 ever again since doing so is just a waste of bandwidth.
>>
>>60193027
Not just a stable Wayland experience. If you want you can already have an experimental desktop acceleration based on Vulkan instead of OpenGL and H-O-L-Y-S-H-I-T it is a smooth ride. Plasma's OpenGL acceleration just cannot compare.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FHmyrV1CXM
>>
I just have one question:
Is it possible to get transparent window borders in gnome?
>>
>>60193315

Short answer: Yes. For example the popular Arc theme uses partial client-side transparencies in a manner you probably want the transparent window decorations to be shown.

https://github.com/horst3180/arc-theme

Long answer: Yes and no. There is no simple switch like in Plasma which you can just flip and every window decoration becomes translucent. If you see a theme which doesn't look the way you want, you might have to get your hands down and dirty with CSS code.

In Gnome 3 everything and I mean everything is styled using regular CSS and can be adjusted whatever way you want... as long as you work within certain clearly documented rules.
>>
>>60192003
This. GNOME3 was a mistake
>>
>>60193662
Perhaps. But it's still a smaller mistake than the Unity and Ubuntu Convergence. kek
>>
>>60190243
But I am using KDE.
>>
>>60191752
I use Spectacle and Corebird in i3 with no problem, what unstable OS are you using?
>>
>>60194703
>>60191752
(I'm not talking about macOS)
>>
>>60190243
Gnome, with the right tweaks, is pretty comfy and just flows well. Can't complain.
>>
>>60190243
usually crashes while getting configured (earliest one was switching theme to dark right after install) so i just change to gnome or xfce. Still i checked KDE on fedora and ubuntu and both were really buggy.
>>
File: laughing_scientolologist.gif (3MB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
laughing_scientolologist.gif
3MB, 267x200px
>vertical tabs
>>
>>60190243
Gnome, Unity and even KDE are all bloated as fuck

I use xfce with dolphin as file manager
>>
>>60190243
Personal I not a minimalist but prefer mate but agree KDE5 and QT are superior to GTK3 and GNOME (but the fallback make this fine)
>>
>>60190255
I wish it were that simple anon
>>
>>60190243
it's not a matter of minimalism, it's on the verge of autism
>>
>>60190243
I want to just use my fucking computer not sit and adjust it to make it usable. Gnome is fine because it works.
>>
I want to try Gnome but I don't want to use Systemd.
>>
File: retard_on_my_g.png (30KB, 862x614px) Image search: [Google]
retard_on_my_g.png
30KB, 862x614px
>>60191686
>being this retarded
>>
File: 07088f3a8c500fc3.jpg (471KB, 874x898px) Image search: [Google]
07088f3a8c500fc3.jpg
471KB, 874x898px
>>60190243
i like gnome. been using cinnamon before. gnome may not be as transparent and easily modifyable, as cinnamon but i got it where im reasonable happy with its usability within a day or so too. interestingly enough it runs quite a bit better than cinnamon too.
>>
>>60193192
>GTK4

Is it going to break things again?
>>
I tried getting into KDE back when it was KDE 3 and I didn't really care much for it. Honestly, Gnome just works. My experience with KDE has always been a buggy clusterfuck prone to crashing.
>>
The UI is cluttered and inconsistent. The devs are too proud to admit this.
>>
gnome is minimalist
>>
>>60190655
>Personally, I hate the clash between GTK and QT apps. That alone is enough
What are you talking about? On my machine, it came with breeze-gtk which causes gtk applications to blend in just fine. This is an old meme created by retards who don't understand that qt and gtk use different themes. there have been matching themes to choose from for many years.
>>
>>60190243
KDE plasma is very unpolished, chaotic and a little buggy. Just the more important things to be able to use in a "professional" product.
>>
>ITT
>>60209347
>>60209347
>>60209347
>>
I use KDE for it's customisation and 4K support
But its definitely lacking polish
>>
>>60190243
Your screenshot shows the ugliest color scheme I've seen in my entire life. Wtf is wrong with you anon?
>>
>>60190243
Im using Kde5 now and its still clunky and laggy even on double 4 core xeon and r9 285, if only XFCE fixed that fucking hdmi-off bug , but it will take literally ages.
>>
>>60209401
Breeze dark is the best thing I ever seen, especially it blends so good at night.

You probably like normie white themes.
>>
>>60209429
Not only the color scheme is ugly, but icons, proportions and all this stuff. Wtf is this shit?
>>
>>60209451
not theme's fault
OP made it to look like shit, you can customize everything to look smaller,elegant and proportional

literally who the fuck keeps those folders so big in fm, two columns of huge folders, kys OP
>>
File: Untitled drawing.jpg (104KB, 1880x610px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled drawing.jpg
104KB, 1880x610px
>>
>>60204551
it won't break gtk3 software, no
>>
>>60193027
I just wish they would
>add fucking thumbnails to the filepicker
>restore typeahead in the filepicker
>restore typeahead in the file manager
everything else you can fix with extensions
>>
File: new.png (194KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [Google]
new.png
194KB, 1280x800px
>>60209624
>>
>>60209624
True, dolphin has a lot more features and is a lot more customizable.
>>
Do filepicker thumbnails work yet?
>>
>>60209481

Can't speak for OP, but some of us have shit eyes and we need bigger icons and text. Deal with it. Everything bright white is """"professional"""" these days, but it gives me a headache.
>>
>>60210342
This. My eyes have never been great, and now my 30th birthday is around the corner I've noticed I need bigger fonts and icons than before. I feel kinda embarrassed but then I remember nobody else sees my desktop, so fuck it.
>>
recently installed arch and tried out kde first. It was so buggy and I had to keep going back into the terminal
>killall plasmashell
>plasmashell > /dev/null 2>&1 & disown

so I threw gnome on it. So far, gnome's had 0 crashes. I can say that it just works for now.
>>
>>60210613
That's my experience with KDE, in a nutshell. I'm enjoying the last year or so of Unity's existence myself, then it's balls deep back into regular glorious GNOME.
>>
>>60210692
>>60210613
serious question, where the hell are all the settings in gnome.
every time I install gnome on my laptop the power options tab is basically barren, whereas on kde theres more options than id ever use.
>>
>>60190243
>300+mb wasted on graphical bloat and services you don't need

Thanks, but no thanks.
>>
>>60210784
Try installing gnome-tweak-tool
>>
>>60210784
yea, like >>60210810 mentioned, just get the gnome tweak tool, if you're using arch, it should be in the aur
>>
KDE has total garbage defaults.

No, I'm not going to sit for a single hour trying to make it functional for me when there's alternatives available. Fuck you.
>>
Unity is quick and works (out of the box) with Ubuntu,

And I'm not anal about aesthetics.

Also
>still using shitblows taskbar
>not glorious icons

Yeah, I'm good.
>>
>>60210810
>>60210943
Alright, fresh Antergos install with gnome, theres no option in settings or tweak tool for no action on lid close while on ac and hibernate on lid close while on battery.
In KDE these are 2 sections with their own options, how is this accomplished on gnome.
>>
>>60211331
tweak > power > options are right there m8
>>
>>60211454
just kidding, sage me boys
>>
>>60211229
It comes with an icon taskbar by default though.
>>
>>60190243
what does bunsen labs use?
that shit looks perfect out of the box
>>
>taskbar icons are hidden at the bottom left corner, instead on the top bar
>full screen windows don't integrate into the top bar, leading to lots of lost vertical screen waste

I'll never understand GNOME's design choices.
>>
>>60190243
>Have you tried sitting down and configure it to your liking before rejecting it?- 81 posts and 9 image replies shown.
yes and that's exactly why I rejected it
>>
>>60190243
Why are the folder icons so large? I can understand using a bigger font size, but are people really so imprecise with a mouse that they need such enormous clickable fields?
>>
File: gnomenosettings.png (98KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
gnomenosettings.png
98KB, 1366x768px
Just gonna leave this here.
>>
>>60190243
I moved on to GNOME from Openbox and the reason was because it is the one that everyone tries to support. I only set up gnome-shell though, I don't really like the whole bundle. gnome-shell with extensions look nice and I can make it work the way I like with a few extensions.

More importantly, once everything moves on to Wayland I won't have to look for a new setup, it'll be a change in my startup script.
>>
>>60211742
What is this image trying to convey?
>>
>kio & dolphin shit itself when my phone is connected
>the retardation about runing dolphin as root
>occasional screen tears with free drivers
dropped.
>>
>>60211933
KDE has a lot more options?
>>
>>60211953
I have no problem with kde personally, I think its good but I just can't handle the instability. I know that Gnome is more limited.
>>
>>60212198
What instability, the only problem I ever have with KDE is sometime dolphin loses my phone or disconnects from a samba share.
>>
Damn, just tried KDE on a VM and it looks really neat. I was about to install xubuntu but now I don't know what to do ;_;
>>
File: customization_converted.webm (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
customization_converted.webm
1MB, 1366x768px
Can KDE do this?
>>
>>60212863
Does it have thumbnails in the file picker?
>>
>>60212229
the shell crashes very often, it could be that I just had a shit install, but I don't have enough problems with gnome to be bothered to care desu

>>60212534
get kubuntu ;)
>>
>>60212863
Its amazing that they'll expose a CSS theming engine to you but wont let you pick the function of your power button because they think your too fucking stupid.
>>
So, what are Unityfags gonna do once unity drops dead? Migrate to Gnome and hope to reconfigure it or go to KDE.
I hate how Gnome handles multiple workspaces and generally looks, even with themes.
>>
>>60214710
Hopefully the Unity 8 fork called Yunit will take off. So far the outlook is grim.
>>
>>60214935
I think it would make much more sense to provide an addon-collection for GNOME to keep the look and feel of Unity with continued support by the GNOME team, rather than an additonal useless fucking fork run by contentious asswipes
>>
File: balance.png (2MB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
balance.png
2MB, 1680x1050px
>>60190434
>Doesnt support audio balance
what?
>>
>>60190243
They obviously haven't because they're using GNOME and unity. The two most unconfigurable desktop environments ever.
>>
>>60190243
As someone who's been using KDE neon for the past few months I can say that it's buggy trash. I just had Kontact completely break for no reason. It's also slow despite me having relatively good Hardware. I'm fed up with it, I want to move to another de. I'm not sure which one.
>>
>>60190243
KDE is god-tier now. When Unity completely loses support, the only choices for a truly productive DE will be KDE and Xfce.
>>
So I installed kde on my Ubuntu installation but it doesnt work properly: i have no applications. The applications menu is empty and searching yields no results either.
I can place widgets but nothing else.
>>
File: 1.jpg (14KB, 400x372px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
14KB, 400x372px
>dwarf fortress
Nice
>>
>>60190243
QT >>>>> GTK
>>
>>60190243
I'm about to install kubuntu, what should i expect or immediately do?
>>
>>60216892
slump into a corner and cry
>>
>>60216892
>>60216969
I've never used a/the linux would appreciate a serious (you).
>>
>install kubuntu
Everything's nice, comfy as fuck
>install nvidia proprietary
KDE starts shitting itself and bugging everywhere, broken scaling on gtk programs
>uninstall nvidia proprietary
Not that comfy anymore knowing I won't have good drivers for my shit laptop

I don't know what to do
>>
>>60217369
it could be worse. you could have to use [spoiler]AMD drivers[/spoiler]
>>
>>60216892
Turn off compositing
>>
File: 2bgkOZw.png (156KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
2bgkOZw.png
156KB, 1366x768px
>>60190434
This

>>60215456
I remeber you, using that wallpaper for a few years now, huh?

>>60216421
They are both shit . GTK is hard to develop for and has a shitty developer community that cares only about GNOME3 instead of making GTK useful and stable.

QT is ugly and has that shitty special compiler you have to use.

GNUstep is the GOAT.
>>
>>60217523
just looked it up, is it buggy?
>>
>>60190243
GNOME is consistent
GNOME works
GNOME is comparitively lighter and less cluttered
>>
>>60217791
GNOME usability is worse than a terminal
>>
>try to use Plasma
>it looks and handles like ass out of the box
>want to change theme and icons
>everything needs to be installed seperately
>can only be installed with root access by manually copying folders over
>some things wont work even if instructions are followed because braindead deviant-art users wrote instructions specific to their folder structure/distribution
>cant use console to install and use themes
>"BUT YOU CAN CUSTOMIZE IT"
This is why Linux is dying. Because this kind of shit is getting a free pass
Usability > all
everything else evolves from usability. If something isn't usable, it wont be used, if it isn't used, it wont be supported, if it isn't supported, it will die.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170504_232943.png (134KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170504_232943.png
134KB, 1920x1080px
>>60217873
Oh and I forgot: the shop/download interface is ass too.
Look at that maximized image. look how clearly you can see the important details of UI customization
>>
File: 233116.png (45KB, 570x486px) Image search: [Google]
233116.png
45KB, 570x486px
>>60217537
>QT is ugly

Where the fuck does that meme come from? Qt doesn't have an inherent look; its widgets can be styled just like gtk's. Plus -- because unlike gtk, Qt is actually cross-platform -- it can use Windows/Mac/Whatever native widgets.

This is purely subjective, but IMO picrelated pwns any gtk style in terms of both aesthetics and usability.
>>
>>60217703
Nah just gives some performance boost. I find the fancy desktop animations and effects to be unneeded anyway.
>>
>>60217369
instal kde neon, it's way better than ubuntu.
>>
>>60217984
thanks anon.
>>
>>60217873
I use MATE on my desktop and Gnome on my laptop. Both are extremely usable for their target use.
>>
>>60190243
kde is shit. cinnamon is the best de
>>
>>60190243
>Have you tried sitting down and configure it to your liking before rejecting it?
crash on me all the freaking time, I spend 12h/day for 3 days last weekend and can't remember how many crashes I got.
gnome does not crash as much

I use debian testing with liquorix kernel
>>
>>60218091
I was always wondering whether I should try installing mate, cinnamon or Pantheon on my Ubuntu installation.
I also personally believe bare GNOME would have made a better Phone/Tablet interface than Unity
Unity is still kinda short on customizability, even if it has extensions
>>
I wish I could use gnome-shell. it looks really good but using that interface is hell and those fuckin titlebars I won't even mention
inb4 pixelsaver
>>
>>60218685
I've been using KDE on Debian Testing for a year now (on my main machine, used 8+ hours a day every day) and it *never* crashed on me once. Either I'm increadibly fucking lucky or you're doing something increadibly wrong.
>>
>>60217973
He's right, QT looks like shit. There's no good themes for it and the spacing and layout is shit.

As far as appearance, it's:
GTK2 > GTK3 > QT
>>
I use openSUSE Leap 42.2 with KDE

Best distro period, super stable and zero problems for me. YaST + KDE makes Linux as easy to manage as Windows.

I do web development and gaymes on it and it hasn't failed me.
>>
>>60217859
Only an actual retard would ever think that. GNOME is easy and if you make use of workspaces it's definitely the best DE out there.
>>
After Unity I'm moving to KDE.
Gnome only "advantage" is looks, nothing more.
>>
>>60219228
>Gnome only "advantage" is looks, nothing more.
Adwaita is hideous and looks dated. GNOME's advantage is its extensions and integration, no other DE matches it when it comes to that.
>>
>>60219482
So the only advantage of is third-party programs developed by the community to repair the lack of features and fix the fuck up mess made by the actual devs?
>>
>>60219085
>There's no good themes for it and the spacing and layout is shit.
These are exactly my thoughts on gtk; you wouldn't believe the amount of effort I put into making the very few gtk apps that I use not look like crap, and they still do.

But that's subjective. Objectively, on a technical level, gtk *is* shit, though. Its codebase consists of layers upon layers of cruft and dirty hacks nobody (including the 2 or 3 semi-active developers it has left) comprehends anymore. Its API is convoluted as fuck and the devs care more about Gnome than the toolkit itself. Fuck, even goddamn Linus Torvalds, a known C++ hater and a pretty competent C programmer, switched his Subsurface project from C/GTK to C++/Qt *solely* because of the pain in the ass working with GTK was.

Qt has clean API (for a project this size and complexity at least), great documentation, its development fluorishes, has better hidpi support *and* it's fucking cross-platform. Now that it's fully GPL-ed there's literally no reason for application developers to stick with gtk. Which is why most new projects are started in Qt these days and a bunch of old ones is getting ported, so hopefully we'll see the day gtk fucking dies already, and we finally get a unified UI experience on Linux.
>>
File: 1433992602440.jpg (20KB, 300x188px) Image search: [Google]
1433992602440.jpg
20KB, 300x188px
>>60190554
>I don't want to have to configure it to my liking. I want something that will work out-of-the-box.

>uses linux
>>
>>60219202
If you make use of workspaces you care about functionality and should be using a tiling wm
>>
>>60219904
Pretty much. I'm not going to use Cinnamon or KDE without third party extensions, either.

>>60220242
I tried it, but I didn't care for it. I like all the bells and whistles of a """modern""" desktop environment.
>>
>>60220506
What third-party extensions do you use on KDE?
>>
>>60220561
I can't remember. Whichever ones that made it look like Windows, same for Cinnamon.
>>
>>60190243
Care to post that wallpaper please?
>>
Everytime i try to use Krunner my CPU tries to jew itself to death
>>
>>60216421
This.
>>
>not using xfce
lel
>>
>>60220091
Excellently summarized man.

Never had anything against the available DEs. I just wish to see GNOME and every other GTK-based DE get a Qt port or clone, and let GTK die altogether.
>>
>>60216183
Ubuntu has always been buggy as fuck when it comes to installing a DE that wasn't already in the distro. On Arch you wouldn't have had any of these problems. If you want to try KDE quickly, just grab Kubuntu and boot it in a VM.
>>
>>60190243

KDE5 would be great if it wasn't so buggy still. I'm using unity now which is shit, but in my experience it's a lot more stable currently.
>>
>>60190243
>what is your reason for using GNOME or Unity over KDE5?

I don't use any of them. And the reason for that is my computer running Linux is a laptop. It has XFCE installed. And it does exactly what I need it to do and nothing more. Which is to be small, fast, and simple to configure.

If I were going to run Linux on my desktop PC full time I would give KDE a look.
>>
>>60220147
There are reason to use Linux that don't have to do with customization.
>>
Did not like the high install time. Doesn't do anything i want that my DE don't. KWallet creeps me out.
>>
xfce just works
fuck gnome and kde
>>
>>60225051
You can use KDE without KWallet.
>>
I came back to KDE after 3 years of not using it. It looks prettier but just as buggy as ever.
>>
>not using vim and i3wm

itt: shit tier
>>
>>60190243
Fuck you kde shill.
>>
>>60225869
Go chew on a brick.
>>
>>60225343
>xfce just works
>fuck gnome and kde

This
>>
>>60191608
>shift+print screen doesn't let you select which area of the screen you want to add to clipboard
>closing the screenshot window removes the shot from your clipboard
If I wanted something as shit as windows I'd use windows.
>>
>>60226284
>shift+print screen doesn't let you select which area of the screen you want to add to clipboard
You're right, it doesn't. meta+shift+printscr does. Also, you can set whatever custom shortcut you want to capture either all monitors, current monitor only, active window, or arbitrary rectangular region.

>closing the screenshot window removes the shot from your clipboard
That would really suck it it was true. Luckily, it isn't.
>>
>>60226455
>if it was true
But it is. I just tried it.
>>
>>60191651
Wasn't it last updated 2 years ago?
>>
>>60228832
No
>>
XFCE is the shit
>>
I use Ubuntu and just can't be fucked installing something else. That is only a problem because Kubuntu is just irritating in so many tiny ways: cursor theme inconsistent; Kwin and plasmashell and other shit at random uses the GTK2 (via the GTK theme for Qt) breeze theme; stuff crashes a lot but the crash handler itself (the Kubuntu one -- not konqi) appears like persistent germ basically negating the possibility of uninterrupted probability.

I used to use Arch. KDE was sometimes a joy there. But it's never been rock solid so long as I used it -- not since 3.5. But I got new hardware, installed Ubuntu on it. I lost the will to rice.
>>
>>60230734
>kubuntu
Why aren't you using KDE Neon? There's absolutely no reason to use Kubuntu unless you really need office installed ootb.
>>
>>60217537
can i live in the 90s with you
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.