[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mac G4

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Mac G4.jpg (13KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Mac G4.jpg
13KB, 300x300px
Hi, I am looking to get myself more retro pieces. At the moment I have an iBook G4 which is on OSX Tiger but I am looking for a Mac that runs Mac OS 9. Is it worth my while buying a Mac G4, if I can find one on Ebay for a reasonable price.

I am looking to use it for retrogaming.
>>
Yeah they are cheap at the moment, but prices will likely go up in the coming years.
>>
>>60181690
probably not, they're not retro enough and will probably never be really considered for collections, at least not in our lifetimes. the only people who really need/want these are those audio engineers who need a specific version of say, pro tools, to run a specific plug-in, on specific hardware.

i still have two rack mount conversions from marathon computing for these systems.
>>
>>60181812

OP here, I was looking to get one of the older Mac's from the last 80's/early 90's but I have read there is to many reliability problems with them.

So I was thinking perhaps a G4 would still be a good machine for running OS9 as it can still run alot of older software.
>>
File: rack.jpg (315KB, 797x1200px) Image search: [Google]
rack.jpg
315KB, 797x1200px
>>60183545
I have several, the only real issues I've ever come up with are with capacitors, which are easy to fix and even improve. So, if you're interested in getting into retro computing, invest in a good soldering/desoldering station, and a understand the hardware side, not just the software. OS9 is interesting and all, but most of the fun stuff is System 7.6 and generally 68k.

Jason Scott is currently collecting software from that era for Archive.org if you're interested... it'll all be on the browser soon, just like he did with DOS.
>>
Hey I have one of these. Gf's office was getting rid of a lot of old computers, so I got this for free. Came with OS 9 and X Jaguar, I belive. I just put debian on it though, because neither OS 9 or Jaguar were very useful
>>
>>60181812
>probably not, they're not retro enough and will probably never be really considered for collections, at least not in our lifetimes.
They are becoming collectors items though. They are already retro in the sense of being last non-winter consumer computers.
>>
>>60183545
If you are only interested in running older software and games a G4 with OS9 is perfect.

>>60184858
Only if he's interested in those things, if he only want's to play games a G4 with OS9 will do everything just fine, from 68k games for System 6 to PPC games for OS9.
>>
>>60180929
>I am looking to use it for retrogaming.
works well as a heater too.
>>
>>60185888
you're mixing it up with the Dual Processor dual core G5
>>
>>60185904
dp single core version works well too, keeps my room an extra 3ºF warmer
>>
>>60180929
I've got a loaded to shit 500 MHz Sawtooth I paid around $30 total for, it's a great system with a huge application base to fuck with.
>>60183545
I have shit experience with 68030-based systems in particular, Quadras are generally good though.
>>
>>60186033
>I have shit experience with 68030-based systems in particular, Quadras are generally good though.
Quadras where always '040
>>
Get a space heater G5 for the aesthetics
>>
>>60186083
Dosen't run OS9 natively
>>
File: pdp8e_simulator_20_screenshot.jpg (490KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
pdp8e_simulator_20_screenshot.jpg
490KB, 1920x1200px
>>60186061
Yeah, I'm just saying that despite being roughly a similar era they're still pretty good.
I've got a whole shelf of IIcis that need to be recapped but my shitty little 700 doesn't give a fuck.
>>60186094
10.4 can still be pretty kickass though, I run a G5 just for this piece of refined autism
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.