[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Clearly the most advanced mainstream operating system. So why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 6

File: macos-sierra-siri-screenshot.jpg (283KB, 1200x750px) Image search: [Google]
macos-sierra-siri-screenshot.jpg
283KB, 1200x750px
Clearly the most advanced mainstream operating system.

So why aren't you using it?

>inb4 aplel memes
>inb4 lgbt memes
>>
Because it comes preinstalled on a gay lappy.
>>
>>60175646
Ever heard of Hackintoshing?

Or are you too afraid and too much of a pleb?
>>
I have it installed on a second hard drive, on my lenovo ideapad 700. Works like a fucking charm.
>>
>>60175630
>Using mainstream os
Are you trying to bait me?
>>
>>60177270
it's either mainstream (windows,osx,linux,freebsd) or doesn't fucking work (plan 9, openbsd)
>>
I'm not homosexual
>>
File: 1259106917173.jpg (24KB, 436x443px) Image search: [Google]
1259106917173.jpg
24KB, 436x443px
>>60175630
But i am and it's even more stable than Linux on this Thinkpad T420.
>>
>>60175630
I have it on s spare PC
Has better out-of-the-box graphics driver support than Linux atleast
>>
>>60175630
I'm a straight white geek, not a gay.
>>
>>60177332
It's more stable than your mental ability to configure and use Linux.
>>
>>60177403
It's almost always harder to set up a hackintosh pc than to install linux.
>>
>>60177403
>configure and use Linux
>needing to configure shit
>implying linux is even usable
kek
>>
But I am?

Besides it does have many issues. It's just that those issues are in my case far more bearable than what I have on Windows (which is a barrel of updates, terrible font rendering and looks and overall a really out of date file manager) and Linux (where I can't just get everything to work and I have to keep using alternatives for things which is shit).

I went linux for quite a while, with the popular distros like xubuntu, arch, debian, fedora, opensuse, mint. I couldn't fucking get into it as someone who's accustomed to using things like Google Drive without it displaying every file that has ever been shared with me or take 4 minutes to enter into a single folder. Or having to fix tearing every single time to learn that this Wayland only works with certain DEs I don't dig.
>>
>>60177403
>person doesn't want to spend hours configuring and installing there OS
>Lincucks: REEEEEEE your OS is shit!!
>>
>>60177466
It is if you weren't a liberal arts faggot.
>>
>>60177512
>when they criticize win 10 users for doing what they do
>>
>>60175665
Problem with hackintoshing is, this system is gesture rich and on laptops touchpad support is pretty shitty. It's sad because some of the keyboard shortcuts for OSX don't make just that much sense (like showing hidden files) and generally one of the things that make the trackpad on that macbook so decent is that unlike cheap garbage, with BTT it's capable of turning itself into a pretty decent tool for multitasking.

If I don't get a macbook next, I would pretty much hunt down a laptop which could support hackintosh -AND- specially those gestures, but I don't even know if that's possible.
>>
>>60177586
Yeah hackintoshs on laptops are very hit and miss on feature support, atleast on a desktop you can just get a magic trackpad and get all of those gestures.
In my experience I never had issues even with just a regular mouse and keyboard in macOS of course I just never bother with gestures
>>
>>60177520
Why do people like you get the impression that wasting a whole day at home trying to get something to work exactly the same as other person who just spent 5 minutes downloading and installing it makes you any more useful than a kid learning stupid liberal arts shit?
>>
>>60175630
>mfw I own a macbook
>mfw I only use webbrowser and terminal because every other software on macOS is shit
>>
>>60175630
When I went to my local coffee shop with my girlfriends macbook pro, I legitamtely had three twink dudes come up to me in the span of three hours, asking they could have my number. What the fuck man, they thought I was a butt lover too.
>>
>>60177669
As a CS student I use Linux (Ubuntu) because I don't like wasting my time.
I don't want to look for specific hardware and configure it to run hacknitosh and Windows is a joke if you use it for programming (inb4 le visual studio meme)
>>
Because gentoo exists.
>>
>>60177710
You might think you're a CS student, but youre actually a faggot, clearly salty about not being able to get Hackintosh to work on his laptop. Programming on Windows is just as productie as on any other OS. If you want an IDE, use any of Jetbrains IDEs. They have everything you could possibly ask for. If you're a hipster, use sublime.
>>
>>60177710
It really is down to specific hardware. On my build for instance with hackintosh I don't have to bother with anything other than using the installer and a tool that basically does the driver installation. On Ubuntu I have to always, without failure, deal with tearing and poor performance due to my AMD GPU being in that GCN 1.0 category that they want so hard to forget about. Along with things like trying to set up VNC or my PS3 gamepad not working over bluetooth.
>>
>>60177802
I don't take advice from code monkeys, who's big achievement is being able to run OSX on a chinkpad.
And to answer your non-argument.
1. You haven't disproven the statement that you need to get specific hardware to be able to run hacknitosh and/or use obscure configs to get a working system
2. If you think programming is dependent on an IDE you are clearly not knowledgeable in the field (hence the codemonkey).
>>
>>60177868
I've always stayed away from AMD hardware on laptops in general so I can't comment on that, most of my laptop hardware is intel/Nvidia based so it just werks for the most part.
>>
owo
>>
>>60175630
>So why aren't you using it?
Because Apple won't let me update my OS after a few years.
>>
>>60177904
I consider that before buying hardware these days, not only hackintosh but also linux support is still a thing to check. The just works thing is just a matter of different hardware configurations on both ends.
>>
>>60177921
macOS Sierra is still supported on any late 2009 machine and up and even after mainstream support ends you still get a few years of security updates. That's almost 10 years of official software support for those late 2009 machines and that's even assuming macOS sierra is the last update there going to get
>>
>>60175630
Because hackintosh is an agonizing struggle against inexplicable errors and lock ups that I really can't be bothered with right now.
>>
>>60178019
And even so, El Capitan still gets good support and lacks perhaps 2-3 features from Sierra anyways, you're not missing that much.
>>
>>60177979
The avoidance of AMD hardware from my part is because there isn't anything from AMD these days, everything comes with an intel CPU and iGPU/nVidia optimus.
Hope things change with Ryzen though, the current laptop market is stagnant as fuck.
>>
>>60177885
Whether you use a hackintosh or not doesn't matter. My real point is that your hardware is irrelevant. Whether you use linux, windows, mac doesn't matter. Hence, Windows is not "a joke". If you aren't a codemonkey, then you also understand this. That is not to say that you can't have a favorite, but you should be capable on any major system.
I never said that you need to use an IDE, just gave you an example of an IDE that you can use on Windows, since you were the one who mentioned Visual Basic, implying your obvious lack of knowledge of Windows development, since you so clearly believe it to be irrelevant. There are many capable text editors for small scripts on Windows.
>>
>>60175630
>aren't you using it?
that shit can't do half of the stuff I need
the other stuff that can do, I don't need
>>
>>60177466
>implying linux is even usable
it is
if
iq
>
>>
>>60175665
I am using hackintosh sierra right now and it's nothing special. windows is objectivly a better operating system.
>>
>>60175630
I'm too poor, and don't want to mess around with getting hackintosh to work.
>>
>>60177512
>there OS
rip ingles
>>
>>60178048
There's nothing these days.

You have Apple putting out machines that are worse than previous models

You have Lenovo shitting out stuff that doesn't make anyone happy because they don't truly focus on anything

You have all these trashy $300 crappy laptops around like always, now with the added extra of not being able to swap the hard drive unless you fucking open the entire thing

Companies like ASUS trying too hard with gaymer shit

Fucking Chromebooks which are really a waste of potential with a general lack of application support, thank god there's distros for that

And now you have Microsoft trying to pull out some macbook clone with a shitty dumbed down version that doesn't allow you to install programs unless they're on the store

Laptops are effectively shit
>>
>>60177669
>wasting a whole day at home trying to get something to work exactly the same as other person who just spent 5 minutes downloading and installing
exactly.. I don't want to spend all day finding windows activators, find drivers that work, downloading software and finding cracks for every piece of software I have to use..
no, thank you
>>
>>60178133
>And now you have Microsoft trying to pull out some macbook clone with a shitty dumbed down version that doesn't allow you to install programs unless they're on the store
Seriously? I have a Surface 3 and it's just regular old Windows, I can download and install programs from the Internet and use the store (if I wanted to).
>>
>>60178167
I think hes talking about new Surface that is about to come out with Windows S, version of Windows that only let's you use apps from Store. Piece of shit imo.
>>
>>60178167
Yeah, I'm talking about the thing they announced today. I have a Surface Pro 3 right here, trying to update after 2 years of not being connected to internet.
>>
>>60178058
Learn the difference between visual basic and visual studio first.
My statement that Windows is a joke isn't because you can't turn it into a good programming platform, it's because the time and tweaking it requires outweigh it's benefits.
>>60178133
True, sadly there isn't a real alternative for laptops so we are fucked in that regard, I've looking for a replacement for my current laptop but all I can find is pure crap.
>>
>>60178193
>>60178206
Yeah I just looked it up, oh dear...
>>
>>60178133
what kind of a laptop do you want then? fucking hell some people just can't ever be satisfied. make your own diy laptop or some shit.
>>
>>60178219
My apologies, I meant to write Visual Studio. I do in fact know the difference. Please forgive me.
How much time do you think it takes? What languages are you talking about? Like I said, an extremely quick way to get any feature you need would be to use Jetbrains IDEs. If you want to configure everything yourself with a text editor it will take the same time as it does on linux.
>>
But I do...

>>60177915
post wallpaper
>>
mfw mbp 10hr battery life in Mavericks dropped to 4hrs on Sierra and Apple's latest solution is hiding the counter.
>>
>>60177710
>Windows is a joke if you use it for programming
This is how you detect people that'll never graduate.
>>
>>60178421
it's not even summer yet
>>
File: illya 17.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
illya 17.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>60178391
>>
>>60177682
>Having a girlfriend
>Posting on /g/

Pick one
>>
>>60177921
Nigga Apple has better support for older hardware than Microshit.

They literally add gay shit like DX12 to force you to update from Win7 to Winshit10.
>>
>>60177915
owo
>>
>>60177915
shit/100
>>
>>60179258
don't bully her
>>
>>60177586
Agreed man Im waiting on the latest release of the macbook pro coming in October this year, They said there going to fix a lot of the problems the prev one had n its pretty good looking but if its sht Ill have to settle for the 2015 version
>>
File: pepethefrog.jpg (28KB, 975x600px) Image search: [Google]
pepethefrog.jpg
28KB, 975x600px
>>60177885
>he thinks he knows programming
>this are statements to prove that
>>
>>60175630
The factories that make Apple products have been involved in human rights violations, illegal spying, embezzling money, corruption.

I will not support such a company.
>>
>>60179261
>her
>>
>>60177287
If FreeBSD's mainstream then OpenBSD should be too
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.