[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the best type of jobs in tech industry? Can we rank

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 15

What are the best type of jobs in tech industry? Can we rank them? Like

1. Programmer
2. Web developer
3. Network engineer
4. System administrator
etc.
>>
File: 1493581502678.png (577KB, 744x1000px)
1493581502678.png
577KB, 744x1000px
1. asic/hdl dev
2. test engineer
3. firmware engineer

>>60172492
>3dpd
kys
>>
>>60172492
1. Web developer
2. Programmer
3. System Administrator
4. Network engineer

honestly, there's nothing as comfy as a chill web dev job
>>
>>60172523
Network Engineers work the hardest and get treated the worst. We are truly the niggers of the tech field.
>>
>>60172555
I get cancer already from opening host file in the terminal
>>
Not to steal the thread, but is sysadmin a good tech career? Ive always wanted to be a programmer and i know programmers get treated differently because their job is much harder, but is sysadmin with various certifications a respectable/well paid career worth investing time in?
>>
>>60172576
You should know there's absolutely no fun in editing network related scripts
>>
>>60172576
Systems Admins are fine. System Admin is also a manager role so you'll have a few people you can delegate the shit tasks you don't want to do so you can focus on what you feel like doing. You'll also be the guy everyone looks to when mission critical systems go down etc.
>>
>>60172576
You may also end up writing the standard operating procedure for your companies help desk. ie the how-to's and walkthroughs of how to fix shit
>>
>>60172594
why would you say that
>>
>>60172716
do not try to understand a faggot's way, lest thee become a faggot too.
>>
>>60172492
1.Company Maneger
2. Project Maneger
3. Electrecal engineer
99. The rest
I mean wtf is good in sitting on front of a screen all day looking for that missing semi colon, or typing tens of lines for a simple thing that everyone will take forgranted that if they notice it in the first fucking place
>>
>>60172837
This dude has a point
>>
>>60172837
Technical Management isn't really a tech job to be fair.
>>
None because they are not hiring entry positions. So unless you have 5 years of professional experience, you are not getting hired. Don't fall for the trap. They are just saying there is a job shortage to get more workers from overseas. Tech industry is screwing us over.
>>
>>60173140
>he can't compete with Indians
HAHAHAHAHA fucking failure
>>
>>60173140
I literally only have basic technical skills, professionally, along with all my hobby shit like running my home lab and servers and I was able to get a sysadmin job with no problem

If I can get a well paying job with my last professional experience being Geek Squad, and a totally unrelated degree, you must just suck my dude
>>
>>60172837
> Maneger
>>
>>60173140
> stop complaining
> git gud
> get a job

See how easy that is? I got a web dev job right out of school. Not even a fucking degree. Got paid minimum wage but I worked my ass off and ten years later I own my own software business. Three employees so not huge by any stretch but I make buckets of money.

If I'd spent all my effort complaining on an anime image board instead, I'd be right where you are.
>>
1. Backend dev
2. Front end dev
3. Automation engineer
4. Devops
5. QA tester
6. Cloud engineer
7. Scrum master
>>
>>60173778
Do scrum masters actually fucking do any real work
>>
>>60174102
>>60173778
I really really hate that meme position.

Know too many retards that are scrum masters, even knew one kind of asshole that was a 'scrum master of scrum masters'.

Doesn't really help that it's parroted by the most obnoxious people.

I'm all in for agile but some of the evangelists are the worst. Guess it happens for all things that have some asshole selling it like it's the best thing in the world.
>>
>>60172519
>test engineer
DELET (。>﹏<。)
>>
>>60174206
You've never known true glory until you've worked with a god tier test designer.
>>
>>60174206
>no
(>﹏<,).
>>
>>60172492
>pic related
that bitch needs to eat some bread
>>
>>60172492
>He thinks programmer is the best type of job in the tech industry
Enjoy being a code monkey while I write the specs you have to follow you plebeian.
>>
>>60174102
Yes, they hold people accountable and force them to track their hours and actually do work. Then they usually have to generate all kinds of reports and communicate with management. Additionally, they often have to unblock people when they are unable to proceed with their stories.

Pretty easy gig, but it's definitely real work.
>>
>>60172576
Don't listen to them, you will end up in basement doing cable management, killing rats, and fighting with cockroaches, you will eventually level up to replace a broken hardware, and you will be suicidal when you realize marketing lady is payed more than you.
>>
>>60174642
>eating bread as a significant source of calories
>not eating fruit, legumes, and oats
>>
File: 647897.png (53KB, 200x200px)
647897.png
53KB, 200x200px
>work as Enterprise Architect
>already above all of you code monkeys
>>
>>60174779
>work as Enterprise Architect
I'm on that career path right now. Just working on my UML/diagramming/whiteboarding skills a bit while I'm in the position immediately below architect. Then that position will be mine if I haven't already become self sufficient (from my investments and business ideas) by then.
>>
>>60174807
My company sells a product for managing the EA of the company that bought it, and we have to deal with Archimate and other types of architectures models and map that into the system.
>>
>>60174746
That's not what a fucking sysadmin does you mong

That's what little babby helpdesk monkeys do

Don't get a skilled position confused with something a 13 year old can do
>>
File: 1493391608526.jpg (169KB, 1248x720px)
1493391608526.jpg
169KB, 1248x720px
>>60172492
who's that semen demon?
>>
>>60172555
nice trips. I realized that at the end of the day I'd always be seen as another layer of "support" as a network engineer so last year I decided to say fuck it and studied till I got a job as a web dev. I'd much rather be the guy building the product than the guy who has to fix shit when it all goes fucky
>>
>>60172837
project manager is a bitch role where you spend more time sucking the customer's/management's dick than anything. Swap it out with 'product manager'
>>
>>60175521
I mean project managers in my field make fucking bank and work maybe 30 hours a week.
>>
>>60175565
weird, in mine (cloud unified communications) they work 50+ hours/week and are on the line for just about any aspect of the project that could go wrong. Are your project managers customer facing at all?
>>
File: diary.jpg (9KB, 300x250px)
diary.jpg
9KB, 300x250px
>>60172837
>Maneger
>Electrecal

Aww, poor baby was too dumb for a CS degree so he went with EE. So sad.
>>
>>60175503
this is pretty much how i made my decision to go into programming rather than networking.

theres no way id want to be the guy it all falls on when shit hits the fan
>>
Will soon be applying for college, looking for computer engineering boys will I be fine?
>>
>>60175765
Enjoy being outsourced
>>
>>60173778
>Cloud engineer
What the fuck is that? Wouldn't that be a type of backend engineer?
>>
>>60175792
Why tho?
>>
>>60175629
English is not my mother language you cunt
>>
>>60172492
Where's "game developer"?
>>
>>60176029
Calm down, pajeet. Your poo degree will get you far. You may even someday own a loo
>>
File: 1oa2i6.jpg (15KB, 222x225px)
1oa2i6.jpg
15KB, 222x225px
>>60172837
>>
>>60175900
Diff anon but I'm not quite sure if I'm right but:

I think it's cos someones gonna take yer jerb when your still in college and not working in a related field and they'd get a 3-4 year head start than you after you graduate
I think...
>>
>>60175565
>he values jobs by how little he has to work
Found the nigger.
>>
>>60176114
I can already tell this is going to be underrated.
>>
>>60176114
>TFW Hitler was the country manegar
>>
>>60172492
collecting welfare
>jerking off all day
>sending viruses to gooks
> roleplaying mr robot
> taking a shit on the jews
>>
>>60176155
>Doesn't value hours worked:money earned ratio

Just go clean toilets for 80 hours a week so you can get that overtime, you fucking subhuman
>>
>>60175804
Think of it as a data center admin.
>>
>>60173140
U do realize no one expects u to have 5 year exp right

Thy just put tht there so retards with no confidence will apply

I got hired for a 7 year exp job with only one summer internship in my belt n i had sht grades but new how to code

Also assume u already have 4 years exp if u went to uni
>>
>>60176192
Shiiet mayne
UBI's for everybody!
>>
>>60176114
sensible chuckle

>>60172492
I do business intelligence. Data warehousing, ETL/ELT development, some programming to do API integrations.

I'm not sure where y'all think that ranks, but I'm making six figures at 25, and I do not live in a high cost of living area like SF or NYC.
>>
>>60172523
>>>60172492 (OP)
>1. Web developer
>2. Programmer
>3. System Administrator
>4. Network engineer
>honestly, there's nothing as comfy as a chill web dev job

Preach
-T.comfy
>>
>>60176205
I work however many hours I need to in order to improve my software so that my customers will be happy and I will sell more copies. Sometimes it's 5 hours a week, sometimes it's 100. But your attitude about how "work" should be is the reason why you will always be poor and always be working for somebody else.
>>
File: b7b.jpg (59KB, 460x345px)
b7b.jpg
59KB, 460x345px
1- Systems Engineer
2- Systems Tecnician
3- Networking Engineer
4- Networking Tecnician
5- Systems Administrator/Tecnician.
>>
>t. shitty app developer that can't hold a real job down
>>
>webdev
>comfy
maybe if you're in some startup
>>
>>60176289
I'm not the anon you're responding to, but work/life balance is important. Working less hours for more pay is a positive thing; I'm not sure why you think this is a wrong way of looking at it.

Technically, I have a 40-hour work week, but I'm rarely in the office every day of the week, and I show up and leave basically whenever I want to. This is valuable to me, so I am willing to make a little less money with these conditions, rather than have more work hours that I am held to.

Basically, working fewer hours is absolutely one aspect in considering the value of a job.
>>
>>60172492
who is this semen vacuum
>>
>>60175629
Cs degree is for smarter people than ee degree?
You just went a hell of a retard
>>
>>60175629
>cs degree
>for smart people
kek
>>
>>60177132
>>60177298
I don't know what shitty Java mill you went to for college, but at a top 10 CS school the CS major is 10x more competitive than the EE major.

t. Guy that went to top 10 school
>>
>>60177773
sure thing pajeet, do your schools atleast have toilets?
>>
>>60177773
>>60178069

>job rating thread
>turns into major circlejerking

youre both faggots
>>
>>60172492
The "tech industry" is a bubble that is rapidly getting read to burst with 9,000+ bay area layoffs so far this year and growing.

The parade of junk IPOs like Snapchat and Groupon ect has sponged up all the fools. There's no more idiots left to give these startups money anymore.

If you want to survive the fallout, get into finance tech. Not only are they the easiest jobs to get into but they pay the highest too and have been around for 30+ years. By easy I mean a) Are you a good generalist developer? b) Can you learn? c) Can you sit beside a mathematician and implement a specification? No knowledge of finance is needed they will teach you.

Meanwhile in the "tech industry", they want unicorn developers who know everything and are willing to work for peanuts, with businesses run by complete jokers who are essentially running a toy business with somebody else's money. These kinds of bosses do not exist in Finance, nobody is thrown money in Finance who doesn't know what they are doing because they're likely to get arrested by regulators. There's no "flat hierarchy" or silly management schemes. There's no silly development cargocults like "agile". You also wear a suit, not a manchild shirt with anime characters on it and you never, ever take vacations with your boss.

tl;dr get into finance
>>
>>60177773
Where the fuck do you live?
>>
>>60173140
You're just a fucking retard.

At the very least, you can cert your way into a decent job.

I have a friend who got an embedded development job with no prior experience before he even graduated college.

Make some moves and shower occasionally. It'll take you places.
>>
1. ML researcher
2. Other AI researcher
99. CRUD code monkeys
>>
>>60178231
what languages and other things do you have to learn to get into finance?
>>
>>60178668
Visual basic. Just invest all your time into that for a year straight and start applying
>>
>>60173140
That's odd, I just got a software engineer position fresh out of college with one summer's worth of internship experience. Maybe you just suck.
>>
>>60178205
>i don't know what circlejerking means but i'll use it anyways
>>
>>60178685
im almost offended by this reply
>>
>>60178720
youre still both faggots
>>
>>60178724
Almost is the key
>>
>>60178668
C/C++ is helpful but nothing really, their recruiters say they don't care about knowing any specific languages they more care about being a good developer, so you know algorithms, you know how to optimize things, you can write code from a spec ect ect.

Most of the hedge funds and Quant trading is all done in functional languages these days, with HFT done in C++ but they don't care if you don't know it they'll teach you
>>
File: 60346981.jpg (116KB, 488x471px)
60346981.jpg
116KB, 488x471px
Why is everyone listing network engineer at the bottom?

Studying for my CCENT right now. Kinda demoralizing.
>>
>>60179132
To be more precise this is usually what they look for:

>Perl/Python/Shell scripting skills
We even use AWK sometimes. This is just general operating system shell scripting anybody should know (Read the book, The Unix Programming Environment). A basic dev knows this already though knowing Perl would be helpful.

>Knowledge of C++
This will be taught to you if you don't know it already. You should at least get familiar with pointers and shit though, and types. It's less important you know C++ and more important you know basic algorithm design and analysis

>Experience with R/SAS/Matlab
The mathematicians you work with use Matlab and Sagemath and sometimes R to write out specs and you have to translate it. Again you learn this in any CompSci undergrad or they will teach you.

>Experience with Kdb/q a plus
They all use the same in memory db http://www.timestored.com/kdb-guides/kdb-database-intro which you can learn from docs or some of the CMU lectures on in memory db http://15721.courses.cs.cmu.edu/spring2017/ (note free youtube lectures)

You work like 60hr weeks but the payoff is +5x what you would make in silicon valley. Most kids these days go straight into finance, make enough to retire by age 30 and then end up in their own startup, or go into management or training new hires, which is an easy M-F job 9 to 5 on Wallstreet that still pays enormous bonuses compared to slaving away 5 years in a valley startup for peanuts only to get laid off when the VC money dries up.
>>
I've been a network engineer for about 6 years now and it can be a pretty laid back job. If your with any large company most of time they won't want to make any major changes on the fly. Normally you have weeks or months to plain it out, since if you bring down the network everything falls over. Also when shit does go sideways most of the time it's not network related because again you shouldn't be making big changes during business hours on a live network.

Where a network administrator spends most of thier time is proving a issue is not network related a trying to get the team in charge of that system to own up to the problem. There are those rare events where there is a problem with the network and those are the real make or break times for a network engineers. During those times your stress levels will be at 10+ and you hope that whatever is happening it is not caused by something you did because there is no room for errors with networks.
>>
>>60179318
too bad finances make me want to kill myself
>>
>>60179268
Dont worry kid you will get it right in another life, hopefully
>>
>>60179268

they get paid the least, probably. it also doesn't take as much "skill" as a programmer.

i work with network engineers at work, and yeah, some of them are as dumb as a rock, while others i question why the fuck they are there and getting paid shit.
>>
>>60179439
If all fails always remember to use "the network is infected by a virus", thats how you pass 30 years in this bussiness
>>
>>60179525
Lol this man speaks the truth. I've used that line before.

The other good one is there was an unknown bug in the code of the net device and we happened to trip it. Although for me that last one has been true way too many times to count.
>>
>>60179472
>>60179268
I remember working with one network engineer. Had all the different cisco, vmware, and emc certificates you could think of and had been working on networking equipment for over 30 years. If there was anything that need to be done like setting up the networking stack for an entire remote replication site, he would be the man you would call.

But he didn't know a damn thing about linux/windows administration, programming, databases, etc.
>>
>>60179658
I think most network engineers are like that. I know I can't windows or Linux my way out of a wet paper bag.
>>
>>60179658
>expecting people to know everything and be a one man army
this is why the future sucks and things such as devops exist
>>
>>60172492

1. SysAdmin

>Everyone is nice to you, since you are the computer god. 90% of the time you can be lazy.

2. DB architect

>Unless you fuck up big time (i.e. no backups) you can't do anything wrong. All you have to do is fixing a slow query every now and chose between oracle and ms sql (based on what you know best).

3. Testing

>Not much reputation among others, also first jobs where money in a company is getting saved. But the job is dead simple and testers are always in demand. They come and go.

3. Backend developer

>With a little knowledge of MongoDB and SQL, one or two scripting languages and a couple of meme words you're basically just copy&pasting things between various "apps" in laravel, django, rails or node..

4. Tech support.

>"Did you plug in the mouse? Yeah? And the Screen is on? No? So glad I could help you.."

5. DevOps

>All you'll ever need is Docker and something like Puppet or Chef.

6. Scrum Master

>Basically you're a manager for hipsters that can't stand harsh criticism very well and need some motivation every now and then. Downside is the stupid stand up meeting every morning to make sure the code monkeys are all at work.

7. CodeMonkey

>You learn something like Java or C++ and code do what the Flow Chart tells you. If you don't ask any questions it's pretty comfy, just don't think your boss wants some "optimizations" or your opinion about what's reasonable and what's not.

8. FrontEnd

>1) Pick a fancy name like UX engineer, UI designer or whatever sounds cool to you.
>2) Be better with CSS than anybody else in your company.
>3) Ignore the customers, they don't know what they want and will always blame you, no matter what you do. So just ignore them, do your job and sell your product.

9) SoftwareEngineer

>You are a code monkey, but you also have to think for yourself and take the heat when your boss is pissed. Not comfy!

10) BigData / AI

>Messy, no jobs, a meme bubble that will burst soon, too much theory. Nope.
>>
>>60179621
Just go to youtube and watch "The website is down" you will get what this guy is talking about, 3rd episode I believe
>>
>>60172837
>2. Project Maneger
... is just a hostage to customer AND management. No thanks.

>>60173140
>So unless you have 5 years of professional experience, you are not getting hired.
And after you are 35 many will just ritually burn your CV rather than read it. Most tech jobs have a sell by date.

>>60174999
>That's what little babby helpdesk monkeys do
The help desk dudes site at, wait for it: their help desks. Rat killing is for sys admins.

>>60180126
>Not much reputation among others, also first jobs where money in a company is getting saved. But the job is dead simple and testers are always in demand. They come and go.
Test and also documentation are the first to be be through under the bus once /or rather when) the budget/time/whatever isn't on track.

Oh, and testing and reporting an error is simple. If you want to be a level up from that you document how to cause an error reproducibly.

No quality assurance auditing mentioned so far...
>>
File: 1420987906732.gif (1MB, 400x225px)
1420987906732.gif
1MB, 400x225px
>>60178231
I came to the exact same conclusion after working as full stack developer in big mulinational software company and then quiting it and stating my own software development business.
Programming is overrated as fuck. Its literally not that much better than laying bricks. Sure, working conditions are much better but it works you to the bone especially near release cycle and requires you to constantly spend extra hours on educating yourself every time new version of language, framework or completely new new paradigm comes out.
Finance looks like a much more rewarding industry to work in without having to constantly deal with bullshit scrum and sprint meetings where you just repeat the same crap every time and everybody knows it. Its more appealing if you have a highly analytical approach which is already very common for non retards from software industry anyway.
>>
Just got hired as a Junior Java Dev. I'm 19, first year @ uni. Pajeets won't get my job, if I become The Pajeet.
>>
>>60172492
End goal for me is a CISO, how does this rank?
>>
porn admin
>>
>>60172837
>there are pajeets who think this is what software development is on this board RIGHT NOW
>>
>>60179318
Will they pay me for Haskell?
>>
>>60181245
Except it is, not much to do with a cs degree
>>
>>60180126
>1. SysAdmin
replaced by Machine Learning
>2. DB architect
>3. Testing
>3. Backend developer
mostly replaced by Machine Learning, might still require a few really capable (i.e. not you) though
>4. Tech support.
>5. DevOps
>6. Scrum Master
what
>7. CodeMonkey
>8. FrontEnd
Might hold on for a while but as soon as there is enough statistical behavioral data about users, replaced by Machine Learning
>9) SoftwareEngineer
Unless you know Machine Learning, replaced by Machine Learning
>10) BigData / AI
Replaces jobs with Machine Learning
>>
>>60179318
if i know this but have no work experience am i hopeless at getting a job?
>>
>>60181942
>BigData shill
>the post
>>
>>60181942
>Unless you know Machine Learning, replaced by Machine Learning
Whew, that was close.
>>
File: 1490602361332.jpg (208KB, 750x1070px)
1490602361332.jpg
208KB, 750x1070px
>>60180537
underrated
>>
File: 1492657540231.jpg (83KB, 570x567px)
1492657540231.jpg
83KB, 570x567px
1. Unix admin

Easy money, easy life. Play retropie all day. Every now and then save the company.
>>
>>60182066
>>60182073
stop posting pictures of animal abuse, please
>>
>Network Engineer
>Spend more time proving that my network is fine more than I do actually building the network

I hate shitty developers with a passion. We have a ton of warehouses and for months management has been bugging me telling me that the network in them is so slow that the scan guns that people use to check if an item was already inventoried and add them to a database was taking 45-60 seconds per scan.
After months of pulling my hair out and chasing ghosts I finally got a chance to look at the back-end systems the scan guns use. The dumbass who wrote the thing had SQL queries running against the entire inventory database (consisting of millions of items spread across hundreds of warehouses) rather than the specific tables it needed to be run against. I told the developer who went "oops my bad" and fixed it, and suddenly he's the hero and I'm the schmuck that couldn't figure the problem out for months.
>>
I fell into a job as a tester years ago, no experience, no degree, no certs
The company has quadrupled in size since then (I'm now a senior on our team) and I still get by through sheer luck.
I don't even know what my job title is...
It's great though, often at the start of Dev cycles I'll have no work for a week or two
>>
>>60172492
1.) CIO
2.) CTO
3.) VP
4.) Director
5.) Manager
999) Any hands-on technical role
>>
Sort of unrelated - I've heard that the first development job out of college is often easier than college itself. Is this true?
>>
>>60181942
You don't know anything about machine learning.
>>
>>60181942
Not true. OP actually was a trick question, the entire tech industry will be replaced by machine learning. You don't need apps, gadgets, or search engines if you have machine learning to solve all of your problems, after all.
>>
I've worked in a ton of areas
Embedded systems development is GOAT
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 248x203px)
download.jpg
8KB, 248x203px
>>60181942
>tfw girlfriends will be replaced by machine learning
>>
>>60175804
I might be a cloud engineer, although I think I am too low down the chain to be one of those. In that case, it's a ballache because you are in charge of hundreds of things and have to teach your inept subordinates (like what I probably actually am) how to do rat-killing.

>tfw I literally empty bins and sweep our data centre for a living
>>
>unironically wanting to be a wagecuck

Freelance networking gigs are where its at, plus its a great entry level skillset for security work which is versatile as fuck.

You can always find legit temp work that pays well and isn't too challenging, and when the bubble bursts you can take advantage of the chaos and go full blackhat if you're so inclined.

Either way you'll be doing better than the code monkeys who memed themselves into training Pajeets to replace them in an industry that has ~10 years left tops.
>>
>>60182732
>Freelance networking gigs

Enjoy installing wireless routers at vape shops for $20 an hour.
>>
>>60182732
>Freelance networking gigs
Do you mean in-person or remote network jobs? I looked at some tech freelance sites and I saw 90% of the people there were triple CCIEs from India willing to work for pennies.
>>
>>60182732
>freelance
Enjoy living in a rent control apartment when you're 70
>>
>>60174642
Depends how tall she is. Some tall chicks eat heaps and still stay skinny.
>>
Look don't listen to these idiots the list is like this

1. Indian tech support scammer
2. Best buy geek squad
3. Porn hub admin
>>
stats major cs minor here.

I'm thinking of going into software development but people keep jerking me off to be a data scientist.

Is it a real job or is it a meme?
>>
>>60172519

Those jobs are autistic af senpai.
>>
>>60182299

>/g/
>C-level exec work

lol....your jobs require 'enterprisey' corporations.

Enjoy your constant politics, annual 10% reduction in personnel and comforts, rat.
>>
>>60182938
that would legit be an upgrade for me, I'll take it
>>
>>60178231
I went from finance to tech. similar work conditions. place a bunch of analysts in a massive room. the difference is that tech has incredible upward mobility and takes little funding to get something off the ground. You can easily "go your own route" in tech.
>>
>>60181942
t.clueless
>>
pentester
>>
>>60183258
>data scientist

kek. if you want a job, go software dev. from there you can try to pivot to data scientist.
>>
>>60177773
I can second this.
>>
File: 1492421603805.png (487KB, 944x720px)
1492421603805.png
487KB, 944x720px
>>60181942

>He doesn't know that Machine Learning is just a meme to get/keep investors happy
>>
>>60172519
>low level shit

Don't fall for this meme. The work is a lot harder and the pay at best is the same as the average javascript artisan.
>>
>>60182990
That sounds about right if your going straight route/switch in networking freelancing doesn't really pay all that well. There's a little too much competition, but if you start to get into some the sub branches of networking things really pick up quick. Like if you know IPS/IDS, WAF, VOIP and especially load-balancers like the F5 you can really name your price. I have a couple of friends doing freelance stuff with just the f5 mainly and they are pull in 200k+ per year easily.
>>
>>60172492
1.Software Engineer
>>
>>60175691
>>60175503
>>60172555
I just passed my CCNA and teksystems is helping me get a job in networking. Passed their network admin aptitude test with 93/100 today. IDK I am truly addicted to cisco and networking in general.

Is this all just temporary? Will my life as a network admin and eventually network engineer become shit?

Is it reasonable to assume that I can earn 6 figure salary in a few years with a CCNP? I currently have zero real world/production experience.
>>
>>60184782
>Is it reasonable to assume that I can earn 6 figure salary in a few years with a CCNP?
Depends on where you live. If you're out in BFE, no. If you're in a major city, still probably no but maybe close.
>>
>>60184838
I heard it because most people are straight up beta and never pursue better jobs? Is this true? Most people I've met in the real world who are sysadmins and programmers are so very shy and seem very content with where they are. I never hear them bitch about their position.
>>
>>60184898
It's more that management is retarded in a lot of instances and would prefer to just outsource most of the job to an MSP. The MSP in turn hires a bunch of bottom of the barrel employees, if not just doing H1Bs. Really cheap all around because IT is usually considered a cost-center, even when it's absolutely critical to the function of the business.
>>
>>60172519
What is my password?
library ieee;
use ieee.std_logic_1164.all;

entity fsm is
port(
CLK : in std_logic;
RESET : in std_logic;

KEY : in std_logic_vector(15 downto 0);
CNT_OF : in std_logic;

FSM_CNT_CE : out std_logic;
FSM_MX_MEM : out std_logic;
FSM_MX_LCD : out std_logic;
FSM_LCD_WR : out std_logic;
FSM_LCD_CLR : out std_logic
);
end entity fsm;

architecture behavioral of fsm is
type t_state is ( TEST_KEY_1,
TEST_KEY_2,
TEST_KEY_3A, TEST_KEY_3B,
TEST_KEY_4A, TEST_KEY_4B,
TEST_KEY_5A, TEST_KEY_5B,
TEST_KEY_6A, TEST_KEY_6B,
TEST_KEY_7A, TEST_KEY_7B,
TEST_KEY_8A, TEST_KEY_8B,
TEST_KEY_9A, TEST_KEY_9B,
TEST_KEY_10A, TEST_KEY_10B,
TEST_KEY_ENTER,
PRINT_OK, PRINT_WRONG, INVALID, FINISH);
signal present_state, next_state : t_state;

begin
sync_logic : process(RESET, CLK)
begin
if (RESET = '1') then
present_state <= TEST_KEY_1;
elsif (CLK'event AND CLK = '1') then
present_state <= next_state;
end if;
end process sync_logic;
>>
>>60185021
How is Trump's new visa program going to affect this? Also you seem very pessimistic about this. Maybe one in 5 companies does this but the rest just hire actual IT guys to manage their stuff. IDK I haven't been in real world IT so I cannot say.
>>
>>60175629
other way round dumb CS shill
>>
>>60185153
>but the rest just hire actual IT guys to manage their stuff
Maybe you're just optimistic? Also, I'm not talking entirely about actual outsourcing overseas. MSPs usually employ people that live in the country. They're just overworked (they do break-fix for multiple clients) and not compensated well.

As for Trump's new H1B rules, they have no teeth and still have loopholes.
>>
>>60185235
Well I can't be pessimistic or I'll just end up killing myself lol. I need something to look forward to. I've met many people who are raking in the benjamins doing IT work and here I am with all my knowledge working for $12 an hour at a help desk, at least that was my previous job.

Been applying to govt jobs and some of them pay pretty well. Just sucks that so many people are braindumping the CCNA that it doesn't mean as much as it should.

Gotta keep my head up and keep applying and hopefully will land something around $40-60k soon with only 4 months of help desk experience.
>>
>>60180126
Can you do computer engineer because that's my undergrad degree and I was looking into machine learning in grad school
>>
>>60185037
>VHDL syntax highlighting doesn't work

Classic.
>>
>>60185037
What are you trying to ask?
>>
Network security
>>
File: 10920129309123.png (107KB, 500x441px)
10920129309123.png
107KB, 500x441px
1. trap programmers
2. all other programmers
>>
>>60173140
Because they don't offer apprenticeships, but they expect that you went to university or got your knowledge somewhere else
>>
>>60180126

Mostly correct.

Machine learning isn't a meme, though barriers to entry will go up to "mandatory pHD" because, as it turns out with the theory, the devil is in the details.

Machine learning is really good at answering yes/no questions and things you can come up with a measure for that you use to create a yes/no pile.

Creating that measure as a model is tricky though and is usually a research problem.
>>
>>60172523
goddamn bums in web development. THinking they are creative...
>>
bamp
>>
Anybody have experience being or working with a data analyst?I recently secured a data analyst at a great health company for 3 months as an intern, and they told me that if I "fit in" well enough, they'll offer it permanent.

What's it like bros? For this internship, I'll be working 40 hours and being paid 28 an hr which I think is decent for where I live in. However, I really don't know what to expect and I'm so nervous for when I start.
>>
>>60172492
1. CEO
2. Stock holder
3. Jew banker
>>
>>60186523
>>60187519

You see, theoretically there's nothing wrong with machine learning. It's a pretty interesting field and things are still developing there. It's not a conincidence that google has invested so much into that area.

But in practice there are some problems.

The biggest problem is, that (similar to that "Big Data" meme) there aren't just enough questions that need to get answerered by machine learning. Most problems require a little bit of good ol' software craftmanship.

There are indeed topics witth the complexitiy that would justify the low orbit hyper phasor that is called machine learning. But not endlessly.

So in reality machine learning has two major purposes:
-getting along with the investors (as this guy said before: >>60183756 )
-attracting young "high potentials" (read: work horses) that can be the future senior devs of your company

Very few mem learning companies actually so something that would require it. Of course if we are taking about scientific research, huge advertizing companies (google/alphabet), car industry or meterological stuff it's a differnt thing.

Another problem is that there's just a huge competiton. Basically you're competing with some guys that got freaky in AI at the university and then realized, that reality is not about skynte so much, but more about meetings, anoying customers and painting by numbers with UML.

Don't get me wrong, I found AI very intersting myself, but it's just not what the vast majority of tech industry needs and this won't change anytime soon.
>>
>>60187466
Keep your trap shit in /b, you are fucking everywhere
>>
>>60172492
1. Elon
2. Terry
3. Everyone else
>>
>>60173635
You habe some experience (even though it's lmao Squad) and you have a degree. That makes a difference when applying, believe it or not.
>>
>>60176246
How does a recent grad get a job in BI
>>
what's /g/'s thoughts about moving from front end web dev work to a cyber security analyst post?

are certs like the CompTIA Security+ Certification worth the money?
>>
>>60189800

The question is how you want to prove your skills.

Either you have an employer who rote you that you did their security stuff. Or you have a lot of hobby projects you can show. Or you won some security challenge. Or you have a certification.

It doesn't matter HOW you prove it, but a mere "well, it sounds interesting!" is not enough.
>>
>>60190468
That's kind of where i'm at at the moment. I've found some of the overthewire.org war-games quite entertaining but haven't done anything worthy of putting in a portfolio.

What would constitute a hobby project?
>>
>>60189795
Good question.

I got lucky, because I just pushed into it from a junior sysadmin role. There's definitely a large business element to it, because you do have to understand an industry intimately to get the right data and make it into effective information. In this respect, I'm glad I did MIS, which is technically a business degree.

I'm not sure how you would go straight into it; look for junior data analyst positions, and go from there.
>>
>>60191237

Well, I'm not in security myself, but some rules that always apply are that employers want to know three things:

1) Can you get things done, understand tasks and so on?

2) Are you smart enough and capable?

3) Are you really interested in getting into a certain field?

If someone is fresh from university and has great grads in math related stuff, he is probably smart enough, but can he get shit done? And is he reall interested in the subject?

If someone has a lot of low level security projects and blogs about security news, he is interested, but is he smart and can archieve things?

If someone has experience as web developer he can get things done. But he still has to prove that he is interested in the subject.

So at your position doing a lot of hobby projects is. fine. Just make a new github account for all security related stuff and do some fun projects every now and then. Or even make a blog about it. It doesn't have to be super haxx0r 1337 kind of stuff. Maybe call it "My Experiment: Can you get decent in security in 90 days?". You know what I mean..

Or if you have to keep a low profile because of your current employer, do it on your seperate github account. For example: if you are really good at frontend you could make beautiful dashboards - just make it for a security-related topics. Just keep on doing things, wether they are important or not.

Also get to know the tools. Start with Kali, if you must. Get familiar with the workflow. Just look up job advertisements and learn whatever they require. When you get a job they dont want to teach you everything from the scratch. The more "standards" you know, the better.

Always imagine YOU would have to hire you:
Could you add value to a company?
Do you have any skills you could use?
Is there a certain sub-field of security where you have a good skillset for?

It might be a year until you have the basics you need. Just have fun, results will follow..
>>
>>60174102
Yes, insulate developers from meetings and other horse shit that distracts them.
>>
>software architect (usually a backend guy)
>Full stack dev that can deliver an end to end feature
>API mill dev
>UI mill dev
>A good manager
>Dev ops (good dev ops not lazy dev ops)
>tester (aka script fag)

Depending on your skill set you may be better or worse off.
>>
>>60173778
Backend is very satisfying
>>
You have to have passion for programming, if you force yourself into it you'll risk depression at a later age.

Web developing isn't programming, it's quite easy cash but you have to deal with hipsters.

Network engineering is like programming, chill if you're into networking but otherwise quite bs.

Sysadmin is like tech support but with responsibility. Nerve--wracking in most orgs. Also, windows AD is like Windows settings in steroids, endless submenus and features built on top of an seemingly endless pile legacy features.
>>
File: 1492292479602.jpg (49KB, 549x632px)
1492292479602.jpg
49KB, 549x632px
>>60181942
>Machine Learning
Replaced by Machine Learning

>Shitposting about not having a KGF on 4chan
Replaced by Machine Learning
>>
>>60172837
T. Controlled by ego
You should try being passionate about what you do faggot instead of letting fear and other people judgments rule you like a literally fuck toy slave
>>
>>60173728
Damn dude I wish I had done that instead of wasting a year going to school for (psychology), ah well at least I'm happy now
>>
>>60191537
Hey I was asking in /wdg/ how much scripting is in a dev job, I love developement but devops is the only position open in my area
>>
>>60175765
It depends.
What are your grades ??
Which programming languages you know ??
>>
>>60176114
Jajajaja
>>
I'm gonna be graduating next year, what area should I look for jobs in?
Also, am I fucked if I don't have a summer internship yet?
>>
>>60193047
>Also, am I fucked if I don't have a summer internship yet?
Probably, but not definitely.
>>
>>60193179
I haven't been applying because I've been busy with exams + dissertation work since Christmas. I guess I need to throw together a CV and carpet bomb them with applications.
>>
So sysadmin career is not as shitty as everyone says it is?
>>
>>60193701
It varies wildly.

Can be extremely shitty and low-paid.

Can be extremely comfy and high-paid.
>>
>>60193744
But how do you advance in such career? What certs etc? What is the highest level sysadmin can reach?
>>
>>60172492
who is this sperm germ?
>>
>>60194034
CIO/CTO
>>
>>60194034

SysAdmin can be anything from "the IT guy" in a non-tech company to the person in control of the whole infrastructure of a big company.

Of course there's a lot of a difference in terms of knowledge, skills, tasks, responsibility and payment.
>>
>>60188929

That's the thing: the theory informs us that there's a lot of non-nuclear ML.

Linear regressions are so tame you probably learned them as a kid as a "best-fit line".

Decision trees are literally "if we want to predict a decision using if statements, use basic statistics from previous runs to make the decisions that decrease uncertainty most first, so we need fewer if statements".

Deep learning is great, but it's the nuclear option because we don't understand the weights except by guessing and checking, so if there's problems, getting past them is really hard.

The meme is theory-less ML; ML with theory is not just a recruiting tool or investor handjob
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.