[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Removing stripped screw

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 4

File: remove mac superdrive.jpg (926KB, 2231x1673px) Image search: [Google]
remove mac superdrive.jpg
926KB, 2231x1673px
I'm trying to remove the optical drive of my MacBook Pro to replace with a hard drive but i'm having trouble removing three 2.7 mm Phillips screws to remove the optical drive.
What is the best way to remove stripped screws?
I've tried the rubber band and superglue trick but still can't remove them, is there any other way without using rotary tool?

A lot of people had the same problem trying to remove them:

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+13-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Dual+Hard+Drive/13787#s23120

https://youtu.be/SEZyUzt8xys
>>
>>60170856
I've had this happen to my snes controller because they were rusted over with age and couldn't hold when I tried unscrewing them.
I ended up dremmeling them out with a very fine bit and brushing out the scraps left over, but I imagine doing the same on a Mac isn't going to be safe.
>>
>>60170856
Solder some wire or something to the top of the screw, twist it out.
>>
File: fucking_macfags.png (126KB, 680x502px) Image search: [Google]
fucking_macfags.png
126KB, 680x502px
Install Gentoo
>>
give her the old college try and push that shit as hard as you can and it really should come out if there is ANY threading left.
>>
Christ, /g/ and /do/ should mesh better.

Left handed drill bit OP.
>>
File: ScrewExtractorDwgs[1].jpg (16KB, 260x307px) Image search: [Google]
ScrewExtractorDwgs[1].jpg
16KB, 260x307px
Use a screw extractor. It'll dig out the metal in the screw to make a foothold and slowly torque it out.

Next time, use the proper size screwdriver you fucking mong.
>>
Just drill off the head, remove the ODD, grab remaining screw with some pliers and rotate until removed.
>>
>>60170955
>>60171049
>>60171087

I don't have a drill, rotary tool or a screw extractor and i don't think it's worth buying one just for this.
I might just have to take it to a computer repair store to get the screws out in 5 minutes, i think it might be cheaper than actually buying the tools.
>>
>>60171236
Seriously, try >>60170964

It worked when I was taking apart a Nexus 5
>>
File: cuck cable.png (29KB, 449x146px) Image search: [Google]
cuck cable.png
29KB, 449x146px
>>60170856

Throw it away and buy a chinkpad.

Also install gentoo
>>
If you're using removable bits superglue the best fitting one and let it set for 30 minutes to an hour, then carefully try
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.