[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 325
Thread images: 45

File: stupid-questions.jpg (11KB, 425x237px) Image search: [Google]
stupid-questions.jpg
11KB, 425x237px
Stupid questions thread.

OP question: is it bad (in terms of security) to encrypt the aes-encryption key that encrypts files - with a user password?

$file
$aes_encryptionkey
$userpassword

$aes_encryptionkey = aes256($aes_encryptionkey,$userpassword)
aes256($file,$aes_encryptionkey)
>>
I can't connect to my server running mpd using MPDroid. These are the iptables rules I have:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Using telnet I get the following:
On port 6600 I get connection refused.
On port 8000 I am connected before the connection is abruptly closed by foreign host.

What am I missing?
>>
I have to contact one person, which I sadly have no email to, only know their Facebook account - but I dont have one on my own.

Is it "safe" to make fake account on 10-minute email, with only initials of your name/surname? I mean, wont Assbook try to make profile out of you anyway, connecting data gathered from sites plugins and your IP?

I know it sound like paranoid but I cant help it.
>>
Why doesn't Windows boot from USB? I have a USB to SATA cable and have tried with two separate hard drives, one with 7 and one with Vista. Both of them get partially through booting before flashing a blue screen for a split second and restarting the computer. It's no big deal, but I'd like to know why.
>>
>>60160961
Facebook will probably prevent you from using just a single letter name/surname, and the tracking is not something that can be turned on or off: they probably have a shit ton of sources of information from how you use the website and you setup that will work regardless.

To give you an idea, when I make a new account from my PC, without fail, the previous account I used shows up as a recommended friend.

Not sure what they can do if they don't explicitly have your name/surname though. If your name is mentioned by your friends, facebook *might* have a deep learning algorithm to pick up on that, *regardless* of you owning a FB account.
>>
>>60160961
I recommend doing this in a VM with a browser configuration you don't normally use. FB will fingerprint your browser and continue to associate the sites you visit with your FB account even when not logged in.

Alternatively, block all FB plugins (share buttons, comments, etc) to prevent this from happening, and clear your browser history and cookies after you do what you need to do.
>>
how 2 maek win 10 legit?
wher is win 10 dez loeder??
>>
Any good reviews on the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON vs the Asus PRIME X370-PRO??

I read that the Asus board is shipping with BIOS issues? Does anyone know if this is still the case?
>>
My cursor won't work. I've tried the Fn and F5 thing but even that won't work. I have important unsaved files so I don't want to restart my computer. I'm running Win8.1 if that helps.
>>
>>60161220
Fn+F5 is meaningless to us, Fn shortcuts differ from computer to computer. You can alt-tab into the windows you have important work in and ctrl-s to save them.

If you have a mouse plugged in try a different port. Restarting your computer is your best bet.
>>
>>60161249
Thanks, my cheap dollar store mouse will have to do for now.
>>
>>60161098

Never actually setup VM before. I was planning to do this on laptop (which works as test ground of some sort anyway), with Firefox using plugins listed on privacytools.io

>>60161001

Then I might just use fake name and surname, whatever. Im worried about the whole tracking stuff anyway.

All I want is to ask for email or just drop link to files I wanted to give that person. Why it have to be so hard and problematic?
>>
I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2
>i5 2500k for $150 (i7 3770k for about $300)
>i7 3820 for $300
for motherboards
>z77 for about $250
>x79 for about $350

My main concern currently is in regards to reliability (buying used), as well as the performance benefit for having the 2500k, and maybe upgrading to 3770k in the future, or just skipping a potential future upgrade and going straight for the 3820

Also, as an aussie, is it worth it going for eBay, or would US Amazon be better (as long as it ships here)?
I'm currently a poorfag and trying not to go for an i5 7600k (example) for $350
>>
struct Base{
void ebin(){std::cout<<"Base fug\n";}
};
struct Derived:public Base{
void ebin(){std::cout<<"Derived fug";}
};
void foo(Base& p){
p.ebin();
}
int main(){
Base b1;
Derived d1;
foo(b1);
foo(d1);
return 0;
}

Why do I get to Base fug output?
Am I not passing a derived object in second call and it should call derived class function?
>>
Is the Asus GTX 1070 Dual shroud made of plastic? Because that's what it looks like
>>
>>60161419
you need to declare both functions virtual.
>>
File: 1368811163316.jpg (63KB, 480x600px)
1368811163316.jpg
63KB, 480x600px
Since Comodo has turned to shit, which free alternative should I get?
>>
>>60161350
>Why it have to be so hard and problematic?
unfortunately the world is pretty shit for tech-savvy people with even a minimum concern for privacy.

i have given up, to be honest. i have accepted that there is some probability that in a possible dystopic future everything I have posted online since internet was made might be used against me.
>>
which monitor should i get for shit posting/games? something 24" dont care about cost
>>
Is it possible/viable to run a server on a RPi and connect it to a VPN which I also use for other stuff? Or will it be better to pay for a server and a VPN separately?
>>
I have an old wacom CTL480. How is it possible that there is no link to the windows driver anywhere on the internet?

i'm fucking going to buy huion only from now on
>>
File: plugins.png (29KB, 692x460px) Image search: [Google]
plugins.png
29KB, 692x460px
>>60161581

Anyway, is Firefox with plugins listed here enough for creatign that temporary trash FB account?
>>
>>60161613
there is probably just a generic one not one for such a specific model
>>
Does using a cooling pad all day affect the port which it is connected to?
>>
File: file.png (5KB, 350x165px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
5KB, 350x165px
>>60161655
I tried. That piece of shit driver application doesn't even open. It just says pic related

>>60161628
honestly I have no idea. I don't use any privacy addon.
>>
>>60161741
why do you assume this is a driver issue? maybe your cable is fucked, or you are using a 3.0 usb port which it is too old for
>>
>>60161796
I'm not using a 3.0 usb, the cable is fine since i'm using it with my android phone and because windows makes a sound when I plug my tablet in, plus I've always had trouble with shitty wacom software.
>>
If I know the entropy of two distributions X1 and X2, how do I calculate the entropy of a distribution that's X1 with probability a and X2 with probability 1-a?
>>
>>60161613
http://www.wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers
says the latest driver still works for the ctl-480

did you restart after installing the driver?
>>
>>60161846
yep. i'll try rebooting again and googling a bit more
>>
if nes had a hard drive, could it be used as a home computer?
>>
>>60161513
AVG
>>
Is there a torrent generator that can make .torrents for files with unicode filenames? I have a bunch of files in moonrunes, but MkaeTorrent doesn't support unicode.
>>
>>60161796
oh SHIT i installed the WRONG ONE kill me now

sorry
>>
Is there an easy way to get a mini-botnet for free or cheap? I literally need like 30-100 IPs, to send a curl request every ~60 seconds. I need this for an autistic meme so I don't care about tracking/logging/whatever, but conversely I also don't want to pay for a meme unless I absolutely have to.

Are there some free VPNs I could use for this? I heard about some browser plugins that may work like this, but I don't think that could easily be integrated into a shell script, could it? I want to avoid having to manually click on every page.
>>
File: alt-text.png (8KB, 419x80px) Image search: [Google]
alt-text.png
8KB, 419x80px
How do I get alt-text to appear directly AFTER or AT THE BOTTOM of an image automatically AS THE PAGE LOADS and AS PLAINTEXT, instead of HAVING TO WAIT 2 SECONDS OF HOVERING THE CURSOR.
>>
>>60160835
Users are shitty at passwords. And passwords get dumped. If you do it this way, getting a user password, which is not very hard in most cases, will yield the encryption key, which is not good. Haven't messed with this stuff in a while, so other anons might have better ideas. If you really want password-based, maybe hashed and salted would be a better option.
>>
File: 1482869859398.png (24KB, 460x325px) Image search: [Google]
1482869859398.png
24KB, 460x325px
>>60162393
Yeah, sure. Just call 1-800-RENT-A-BOT
>>
Really dumb question....Anyone have a protip on a solid VPN?? Thanks, anons.
>>
>>60162773
Depends on what you're using it for.
>>
Trying to get a Debian Live USB working.

Used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.7.7.exe with debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-kde-desktop.iso.

I am using a Medion Akoya S2218 with windows 10.

I went into the BIOS and disabled boot security. Then I changed the boot device order so the USB was first.

Still just boots to windows as normal. Help?
>>
>>60162786
onion browsing
>>
>>60162393
VPN and proxies are your best bet without hacking people.
Look around for SOCKs proxies and pipe shit through them.
Now you'll just need to write the scripts to load up all these proxies and VPNs in sequence.

Already-existing programs, extensions and plugins that manage VPNs and proxies will be difficult to work with if their IP list isn't public.
>>
>>60162848
Nord works ok. There are many options. Aside from picking one based outside of your own country, there's not much you can really learn about them. I'd take their claims of "no logging" with a grain of salt.
>>
I am writing a simulation in Java and using GridPane to visualize it. After performing a step, the pane is cleared and new nodes are added, but the pane stays the same as in the beginning until the end, when it does get redrawn. Printing the data to console works as it is supposed to. I am using sleep between the steps, does this cause the problem? How do I force the pane to get redrawn?
>>
is it true all data goes through blackberrys servers on a blackberry phone?
>>
>>60162926
>is it true all data goes through blackberrys servers on a blackberry phone?
NSA servers first.
>>
>>60161410
It really depends what you want to do and whether you think you will use the higher ceiling of performance in the i7.

I was at a similar decision a couple years back and just went the i5 route.
But I don't expect to be running multiple heavy VMs on mines, 1 intense one at the most. (GPU passthrough at that)

I don't intend upgrading for a while anyway since system requirements for things has slowed down considerably in the last 10 years, never mind the last 5 years.
My next hardware will end up probably being something wildly different to what is currently out now. (especially since virtualization in hardware has exploded in recent years)
>>
File: 1414621956282.gif (595KB, 400x398px) Image search: [Google]
1414621956282.gif
595KB, 400x398px
UNetBootIn or Rufus?
>>
>>60162957
R U F U S.
>>
Is it possible to run a home server and route it through a VPN?
>>
>>60162886
thanks, anon!
>>
>>60162954
I had video editing/rendering and 1-2 virtual machines open fairly frequently in mind, so I'll probably go for a Ryzen 1600.
Cheers anyway lad.
>>
File: ss+(2017-05-01+at+01.35.54).png (3KB, 109x166px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2017-05-01+at+01.35.54).png
3KB, 109x166px
Why does a V4 encode have this much kbps? Is this legit?
>>
>>60162881
>tfw I'm a networking brainlet
I literally have no idea where to even start. I mean, I could google some VPNs, and I know my way around scripting, but I have a lot of learning to do to properly properly "load up" and manage those things

Hm, it shouldn't be too hard to modify Mirai to do what I need instead of launching a DDoS and then finding under a hundred vulnerable devices to infect, right? :^)
>>
>>60162957
making windows boot disks only works in rufus for me
>>
>>60162957
I've used both and can literally not tell the difference

Rufus looks nicer, and the name is better.
>>
File: 1383088490258.gif (947KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1383088490258.gif
947KB, 500x500px
>>60162972
>>60163079
>>60163091
Thank you kindly.
>>
>>60163050
Look for lists of free proxies. I think there's a site that even has a REST API to get them.
>>
are the sennheiser 558's the ones with the tape over the speakers that you can take off yourself?
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (237KB, 1032x856px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
237KB, 1032x856px
I'm trying to browse wikibooks using kiwix but the only way to navigate is to use the featured topics and the limited links from those or an inconvenient search system. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>60160835
What is the best VPN for me?
I have been absent from here for the last 2 years, so don't judge me.
I need something that:
1. allows me to torrent even "illegal/copirigthed" shit, without getting any more mail from my ISP or stupid lawyers
2. allow me to anonymously brows the web
3. unblock news that are blocked in germany
>>
>>60160997
it might be trying to acces a partition that is on another disk. Are all other disks also connected to your new PC?
BTW, tried to research the error message on ddg.gg before?
>>
>>60163271
1 Most VPNs, just check if they allow P2P in their descriptions and usually use a server outside your country

2 They all let you browse sudo-anonymously

3 Any one not located in germany will work
>>
I heard CrunchBang is dead - is there an (un)official "successor"? It was the first loonix distro I tinkered with and now I'm looking for something similar.
>>
>>60162731
> Insert a span below the image with the same alt text?
>Profit??

Or you can use Javascript to inject such a span for each image at dom ready
>>
>>60163050
Wait, can I use TOR for that? Like I mentioned it's pretty low-bandwidth and latency isn't really an issue. Is it possible to connect to multiple circuits from one machine and selectively connect through them in sequence without some crazy workaround hacks?

Or, heck, I might get away with just rebuilding my circuit between every request - assuming it's random enough there shouldn't be any problems. It might take a second or two to reconnect every time but that's acceptable for my purposes.

Any particular reason this would be a bad idea before I proceed to write a script that sends my desired curl through tor, rebuilds the tor circuit to get a different identity, and repeats?
>>
>>60163148
I have HD 558s next to me right now and I don't remember ever removing any tape, and I can't see any right now.
>>
>>60163561
>Or you can use Javascript to inject such a span for each image at dom ready
How do I do this?
>>
is learncpp.com a meme?
>>
>>60163802
Life is a meme.
I'd say kill yourself, but suicide is also a meme.
>>
>>60162731
You SHOULD be able to use CSS for this.
You can use an :after pseudo selector for it.
Will check to see if they can reveal alt-text, though.

BG not well played.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/23188691/how-to-display-img-alt-text-using-css
Only alternative would be to do THAT same idea, except set your images as the background of a DIV and just add the alt-text to the DIV.

Here is a basic example I made
http://jsfiddle.net/Fs76v/77/
You can add a hover effect as well by chaining the pseudo selectors as soon in the 2nd.
From there you can prettify the ::after
>>
I have some video files that I would like to burn to DVD/BD, how would I go about learning how to do this?

How about menus?
>>
>>60163878
>tfw somebody worked THIS hard to help me and I'm too stupid to implement the solution.

>You SHOULD be able to use CSS for this.
Does that mean creating muh_autism.css as a text file will change all comics for me? Do I need a greasemonkey add-on too?
>>
File: $_57[1].jpg (280KB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
$_57[1].jpg
280KB, 1200x1600px
I'm looking to replace my PC, is this okay? I'm kind of worried that the GPU is shit but I can't find the specs anywhere.
>>
>>60163948
You can install a User Style extension to do it.
Problem is will be whether those websites use an IMG or another container to display the actual image.
If you can right click and save the images, it will be using IMG tags for it.

IMG tags just seem to not support doing this for some fucking retard reason.
For that, you would need to use a User Script in Greasemonkey or something.
I don't have much experience with that.
>>
>>60161628

Anybody else with idea if this will be safe setup for that?
>>
File: aa2.png (29KB, 886x193px) Image search: [Google]
aa2.png
29KB, 886x193px
What are these for?
>>
>>60164163
programs compiled with microsofts c++ compiler require the exact runtime version to work, otherwise stuff might have changed and the program would stop working because things aren't as they used to be.
same goes for directx, hence every game ships the exact version it was made with with it.
>>
Does a 60 fps video file generally require about twice the file size of a 30 fps one since it needs twice as many frames? (Leaving aside audio size anyway.) Or can the video compression schemes usually optimize most of that out since the extra frames will be very similar to what was already there?
>>
File: B350-PC-MATE-f_01.jpg (502KB, 960x2583px) Image search: [Google]
B350-PC-MATE-f_01.jpg
502KB, 960x2583px
In pic related, does the placement of the M.2 drive matter much? I'd imagine with the heat it puts off and an expansion card blocking most air flow, it'd get toasty.
If I load OS onto said M.2, would it put off a ton of heat?
Or would it be better finding a board where the M.2 slot is above the PCI-E slot?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
excuse the horrible photo and the filth, but what kind of connector is the black one (above the colorful ones)? i need to get a replacement cable
>>
>>60164002
Never mind, this seems to work.

http://jsfiddle.net/ahnGT/426/
Uses jQuery though.

There is a way to do that native JS, but I never managed it.
I never use self-invoking functions or querySelector.
>>
Thinking of switching back to Win7. People with multiple monitors, how do you typically manage windows on your other monitors? One of the few things keeping me on 10 right now is having taskbars on multiple monitors. DisplayFusion(?) has the feature but it's always been buggy and slow.

>>60164297
S-Video
>>
Something's wrong with my mouse clicks.
I can open files in one click, and clicking the URL in firefox acts like a double click. Is everything registering as a double click, or is there some setting with linux/my distro? (I switched from windows recently). I obviously don't have this issue on windows.
https://askubuntu.com/questions/321816/mouse-sometimes-doubleclicks-when-i-click-once
I don't want to believe that hardware is broken because this happens with both trackpad and mouse.
>>
is there c++ classes src / tutorial / sites for reading/writing file formats? i'd like to learn classes in c++ with a real life code
>>
The fuck is wrong with my new laptop?
It's brand new with W10 and the motherfucker can't download shit even at 10% of the full speed.
I checked if there was a windows update or store update and nothing else is downloading.
Nothing out of the ordinary is showing up on the resources monitor but in the task manager i can see my wifi going to full speed in the graph.
>>
If a HDD is at, for example, 80+ used space, does it slow down in speed?
I want to get a single 2TB drive, rather than my current setup of 3x1TB at 50% or less used space
>>
When a method is called and given arguments, is the method given a copy of these variables?
So copies of these variables would get put on the stack, and if it's a reference, then it gets a copy of the reference.
Is that how it works in Java?
>>
>>60164719
depends on the type of the parameter.
see https://docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-4.html
generally, objects are passed by reference, int, float etc by value.
>>
>>60163962
pls respond
I'm kind of in a hurry
>>
So, a MUX by itself is useless (I'm talking about basic combination logic)? The definition is that the selector picks which one goes to the output. But let's say the 4 inputs are minterms. The selector picks one of them to go to the output, but the output will always be the same (in the sense you don't know just by the output which minterm was selected, if you don't know the values of the selectors), unless you connect it to a DEMUX with the same selector values, then you can know what was selected. Am I missing something, apart from my brain.
>>
>>60163962
>>60164765
The graphics chipset in the CPU is better than that GPU. Put it that way.
>>
>>60163962
It's a decent PC, and if need be you can buy a graphics card and swap it in later
>>
I want to try manjaro and I want to experiment with i3.
Should I go for the community version i3 manjaro, or go with official manjaro xfce and install i3 myself?
Asking because it says that community builds may drop support later down the line.
>>
Will I save more memory on my SSD if I switch from Windows 10 to fedora workstation?
>>
>>60164811
>>60164819
Is it really that bad? Damn. Oh well, thanks.
Just out of curiosity, my current (dead) GPU is a Radeon 6570 2GB, how is the r5 310 compared to that?
>>
when memory is going to drop in price again?
>>
on nvidias website it says 500W minimum, should I trust this number? they don't say what their testing system used
>>
Is the EVGA SuperNova 650W Gold all that it's hyped up to be?
>>
>>60161628
make sure you block social networking in the ublock origin 3rd party filters
>>
File: IMAG0386.jpg (3MB, 3000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0386.jpg
3MB, 3000x4000px
Hooking up an ssd, forgot what this white thing is but it doesn't plug into the drive, can I forget about it? Where's it go?
>>
>>60165174
that's for fans. If you're just hooking up an ssd you don't need to plug it into anything.
>>
>>60165106
EVGA isn't the best at making PSUs. And you can probably find something cheaper. Gold rated is good though
>>
>>60165195
How bad would it be to just let the ssd dangle...? There's mounting hardware but say I'm lazy
>>
>>60165236
is silver rated fine?also, are silverstone a reliable PSU brand?
>>
>>60165248
Honestly bronze is OK. What are you doing that needs 650w? Most people overestimate, especially with modern GPUs being more power friendly
>>
>>60165246
not a big deal unless you'll be moving the computer around a lot. I usually just rest mine on something or shove it in a drive bay without mounting it.
>>
>>60165174
Yeah, don't sweat it -- that's a smaller power connector for stuff that draws less power than the standard molex. Floppy drives used them, as well as some of those multifunction panels, some GPU fans, that sort of stuff.

It's one of those connectors that's there for the few who still use it and for others to zip tie out of the way someplace.
>>
I'm new to python and I'm testing colors in opencv. If I'm using RGB, I can do
image[:,:,0] *=0
image[:,:,1] *=0
to make the image blue, now I want to test stuff in the blue channel, seeing possible states of the image between that image and absolute black. What I do is
image[:,:,2] -=1,
but since the values go between 0 and 255 it loops back, so I thought of using a for loop for the elements in the array to check if it's 0 before decreasing it, but it doesn't work.
What am I not doing right?
>>
File: pretty much this.png (29KB, 445x557px) Image search: [Google]
pretty much this.png
29KB, 445x557px
>>60165264
well, I just saw that the EVGA one was so highly rated
my system is pic related
I know 650W isn't necessary
>>
>>60164772
What do you mean by useless? Any component by itself is useless. Mux is very useful with or without a demux.
>>
>>60165334
If that's what you've already got, I wouldn't bother upgrading.
>>
>>60165377
Oh, that's the system I was looking at getting, sorry, I should've mentioned that
>>
>>60165360
Wrong choice of words. I mean if you have 4 inputs, let's say the inputs represent the numbers from 1 to 4, the output by itself doesn't carry any information about which input was picked.
>>
I fixed it before but forgot how. I have 2 versions on Windows to pick from when I boot up, how to solve?
>>
>>60165377
is cooler master a reliable PSU brand?
>>
>>60165535
Have you taken a look at msconfig->boot?
>>
The best video editing for beginner free or not I dont care
>>
File: 1492956500988.jpg (169KB, 971x945px) Image search: [Google]
1492956500988.jpg
169KB, 971x945px
>>60161628
>avast
Remove completely

>decent.
I don't know what this does

>disconnect
Remove

>RAS
I don't think useragents are worth hiding.

>https everywhere
Keep

>uBO
tick everything except the regional filters. Pick the regional ones you like. Also, get uMatrix

Get StevenBlack's hosts file and put it on your computers.

This should cover at least "basic" level security.
>>
File: 1463902293658.png (116KB, 662x533px) Image search: [Google]
1463902293658.png
116KB, 662x533px
Hi,
Sometimes I'm having really bad samba transfer speeds, I have tried pinging an IP on my LAN and pic related is the result. I don't know how to troubleshoot this, I've checked that the network isn't being used for massive downloads/uploads of files.
I have MPD configured to stream my music to http, and I've noticed that sometimes it buffers in the middle of playing a song, which is a weird thing to happen inside of my LAN.
Is there a way to fix this, or maybe something I could use to learn how and why this might happen? I really want to know why I'm getting these high pings inside my local network.
>>
Anon with ssd back again. Installed Windows to the drive and it's slow as shit, where's the improved speed? Takes a while to load up just windows Explorer with nothing but the OS installed
>>
>>60165590
Yeah. I'd search "PSU" on slickdeals.net, and just see what comes up. That's actually the best way to get most of your parts on the cheap, although it can take a while to find a really good price for some things.
>>
>>60165535
Use easyBCD to configure them however you want.
>>
>>60165788
>Anon with ssd
So half the posters here.

>Installed Windows to the drive and it's slow as shit

Did you do a clean install? What SSD?
>>
File: 11760.jpg (55KB, 346x500px) Image search: [Google]
11760.jpg
55KB, 346x500px
How does a barcode scanner interface or connect with a database?
Can any scanner work with any database?
>>
>>60165888
Clean install, just a SanDisk 240 gig
>>
>>60165904
Well, you've narrowed it down to about 40-50 different models. Why don't you post a pic of Disk management
>>
File: c-sharp.png (5KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
c-sharp.png
5KB, 375x375px
>>60160835
How do I return an array in c# containing one string variable and a string? tried declaring it as String[] and returning {variable,"string"} but it doesn't work.
>>
>>60166015
Dictionary?
>>
I've found this:
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=214212
>Turns out that port 6600 needed to be exposed.
What the fuck is that even supposed to mean?
Also:
:~$ sudo netstat -nlp | grep mpd
tcp 0 0 0.0.0.0:8000 0.0.0.0:* LISTEN 9226/mpd

Does this look fine?
>>60160919
>>
File: Screenshot_20170501-183404.png (317KB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170501-183404.png
317KB, 1440x2560px
>>60165932
Before I go further, another stupid question: my previous setup was OS on a 90gig hdd, now on this ssd (clean install).

I had games and shit on my 1tb hdd, how do I uh, "get" to them? Or just format and start over?
>>
>>60165514
Hmm yeah maybe. It's the same as a state machine the output can't tell you about the States needed to produce it.
>>
>>60166108
Depends on the game. Steam makes it pretty easy to re-add the existing files to your library. It's slightly easier if you prep before wiping your OS, but it still shouldn't be a problem.

That SSD should be working fine. Did you create your partitions manually, or did the windows installer create them automatically?
>>
>>60166051
Thank you anon, you rescued me.
>>
>>60166055
0.0.0.0 is a local address right? Like the loopback interface.
Is the rest of the network open on those ports?
>>
>>60166108
What version of windows?
>>
>>60166210
Windows 7
>>60166196
I just let windows do it automatically. I'll just format the hdd and set steam and chrome to download to the hdd of nothing else works, I'm not gonna lose anything important, just a few saves on games I beat.
>>
>>60165894
I don't know a lot about this but a lot of companies get point of sale integration systems from companies like ibm and shit.
>>
>>60166238
How old is the computer? Windows should be working at least as fast as it did on the HDD. You could try benchmarking the SSD to make sure everything is working as it should. Crystaldiskmark works well. I'd also run crystaldiskinfo and make sure the drive comes up as "good"
>>
>>60166209
Even if I set all policies on iptables to ACCEPT it doesn't change anything. I've played around with changing the bind_address of the httpd audio_output function, the bind_address near the top of the configuration, uncommenting the port setting, etc.

It doesn't just werk.
>>
File: specs.png (133KB, 824x655px) Image search: [Google]
specs.png
133KB, 824x655px
My PC completely freezes and locks up when I play games.

It either does it in loading screen for League, or if I somehow manage to get past that part it either freezes after a while or when I Alt+Tab.

It also froze when I Alt+Tabbed out of Dark Souls and Binding of Isaac, so it's not just a League problem.

What the fuck do I do?
>>
>>60166568
BTW I already tried reinstalling my GPU drivers twice.
>>
>>60166504
netcat localhost and netcat ip-address gives me "OK" on port 6600, but nothing on 8000 (seems to just close connection).
>>
What limits Jdownloader's grabbing speed? Is it my computer, or is it just my download speed?
>>
i hope senpais will notice my question today...

i have a big tarball splitted in parts with extensions aa, ab, ac, ad...
what program could merge them together?
>>
>>60167138
download speed
>>
What RX 580s does /g/ recommend for vidya?

I really fucking love my XFX R9 390, are there like, particular 580s that are significantly better than the others? Ones that perform more efficiently, stay cooler under stress?

I like to play games at 1080 at 60fps and in windows at 144fps, the better my card can handle that without surpassing 60 degrees celsius the better for me, since watercooling is not currently an option for me.
>>
So I just installed Debian on my X220 and I can't seem to figure out how to connect it to my wifi network. Clicking the network button on the bottom right only lists the wired (saying cable unplugged).Clicking network connections only lists my ethernet. I click add and select wi-fi, enter my SSID for the networks, and password. I hit save and then it just adds it to the list and doesn't actually connect. Please help me, /g/
>>
what the hell is going on with a bunch of torrent sites right now? They don't seemed like they are seized by any governments so why are a lot of them having issues?
>>
File: 1361076052230.jpg (154KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
1361076052230.jpg
154KB, 1024x687px
my usb mouse is hanging pretty frequently. is there any disadvantage to getting a usb to PS/2 adapter?
>>
>>60167559
Is this why my nyaa RSS feeds all have a hvite X inside a red circle on them?
>>
File: 1464461979118.png (210KB, 1866x449px) Image search: [Google]
1464461979118.png
210KB, 1866x449px
1. How do I remove the line in the address bar?

2. Why is the text on the tab not in the middle and how do I fix it?

Fucking thing gets broken every update
>>
>>60167604
i dunno maybe.

>>60167605
>he doesn't use Tomorrow
>>
>>60160835
depends how you do it,
so lets say you want to encrypt it with some key, because you don't want a compromised system to yield unencrypted files. so you can't store the key on the system, and ideally you want the key to be different between users.
so as long as you ask the user for the password every time you need it, hash and compare to verify, absolutely do not store it in clear, use it to generate encryption key perhaps for the session and then immediately throw it away then what is the problem?
if you store the password in clear you are retarded, if you store the key then what was the point of the exercise in the first place?

i guess you should add a salt in there too
>>
>>60167618
it's worse. he uses photon
>>
>>60167711
Tomorrow theme is the only acceptable theme
>>
>>60167663
Hash+salt ≠ Good way to store passwords
>>
Thinking about getting this

http://www.gearbest.com/laptops/pp_602696.html

Is it just a simple usb charger? Sale is only on the EU plug one.
>>
>>60167490
From a few quick searches, the 390 is about 5-10% slower than 580
Best 580's are probably Asus Strix, Aorus XTR, or XFX GTR-S
>>
Does a higher wattage PSU use more power than a lower wattage one, assuming all the same parts connected to it?
>>
So I'm aware that BTC mining degrades graphics cards, but does it also degrade motherboards?
>>
What's a good PDF Reader for Windows?
I just want to read a few study books and I need to be able to zoom in, navigate chapters and it should save where I left last time when closed.
It is s pretty long course, 400mb over 1000 pages, following schedule it should take close to 6 months to finish properly.
>>
is it a bad idea to major in CS if I failed a python course? my excuse is that i never bothered to do the assignments and labs, and never studied enough for exams

I also barely passed a discrete math course and got a D. i did bad on the exams
>>
>>60168043
Depends on why you failed, if you didn't put any effort in then I wouldn't say that's a good indicator that you can't handle computer science.

Also even if things seem totally over your head at first it's not that unheard of for it to "click" once you get some important concept and then be fairly easy from then on so I'd say stick with it if you have any interest in the field.
>>
>>60167957
Generally no. May be a few percent more or less depending on the efficiency curves of the different models you're looking at.

>>60167974
No. On video cards the main degradation is the fans since miners typically run 100% fan all the time, the card/GPU itself doesn't degrade noticeably.

>>60167587
Mouser briefly not responding is usually caused by a bad cable. PS/2 isn't hot pluggable, so if it loses connection you have to reboot to get your mouse back, so worse than what you're getting now.

>>60167339
on unix like, cat. On windows, type.
>>
Memes aside, what is actually wrong with Java?
>>
not sure if its a stupid question:
which password program should you use?
>>
>>60168067
>I'd say stick with it if you have any interest in the field.
I'm interested in the money, desu.
>>
>>60168146
the high paying positions will go to the people interested in the content who put in the effort
>>
>>60168160
well, shit.

i guess i need to put in the effort.

i already switched majors once from chemistry even though i liked it in high school, because the labs were dreadful. can't imagine spending my life in a lab being a chemist
>>
What 2fa app does gentoo recc? I've already checked the wiki.
>>
if I know nothing really about websites and the internet in general, where do I learn to eventually make a website on zeronet or something similar for copyrighted content?
>>
Trying to figure out why this java program isn't compiling. I'm getting the following error:

DelaunayTest.java:21: error: ';' expected
testDelaunayData outDel DelaunayBuilder(inDel);
^
1 error

I didn't write this code, but I know that the line in question is a native library call:

testDelaunayData outDel DelaunayBuilder(inDel);

Anyone have any ideas what the issue is?
>>
File: tfw.gif (427KB, 857x994px) Image search: [Google]
tfw.gif
427KB, 857x994px
I have 2 different sources connected to my monitor through an HDMI cable (PS3 and PC). Is there a way to listen to the audio from the PS3 from my PC's "audio channel"? I ask because I want to listen to my PS3 with my headphones, but I'd rather not buy any AV cable adapters. What's the best way to do this?
>>
If I could time travel being born in 1981 what would be the best way to learn everything about computers so that in this day and age I'd be super nerdy about computers and everything? Just get a computer and mess around? Where would I get news? How would I get into those secret clubs like private trackers? What should I seek to become a master?
>>
What's the best practical weather resistant design to mounting a television to a brickwall of an outdoor patio? There is no roof covering the television.
>>
Overwatch and Witcher 3 have randomly crashed a few times recently. Could this be a driver thing (nvidia 381.89) or would that cause the screens to crash as well? Could it be an OC thing, I have a i5-6600k at 4.2 GHz but it seems stable in P95. I also recently updated my ASUS Z270i BIOS to the latest version 0704, could it be due to that? Both games were completely stable prior to 2 days ago.
>>
I know that computer components often drop off in price as they age, so what would be a rough price be for something that was $900 a year ago?
I'm thinking $650 or nearest offer, but a minimum of about half what I paid.
Thanks for any suggestions
>>
>>60168888
>Could it be an OC thing, I have a i5-6600k at 4.2 GHz but it seems stable in P95

disregard this, it's lies
>>
>>60168924
Price changes depending on how much better the new things that replaced it are.

What is this something?
>>
>>60169046
A computer that my son wants me to sell, but he's given me no price he wants it sold for, and all I know is I paid $900 for it a year ago
>>
>>60169069
Specs?

Condition?
>>
>>60168924
I'm thinking you should post the model if he purchased a pre-assembled computer.
>>
Does a website that has its articles stored in a database load faster than a website with articles stored as files? Would the filesystem lookup the articles faster than a database lookup?
>>
>>60168080
thank you, senpai
>>
>>60169096
Stored in database is faster presumably. The database will have everything in memory, provided the default configuration does this.

Database lookup would also be faster. This is because information is in memory, whereas a disk request would be needed to do a lookup.

I'm sure there are some database implementations which would be slower, but generally this is the truth right now.
>>
>>60168649
Does the PS3 have an aux port? If so, feed a cable from the aux port to your microphone jack on your PC and then redirect the microphone input to speaker output.
>>
>>60168111
Don't. It is a security risk imo.

>>60168099
It's just slower. It attempts to mitigate this by using bytecode instead of pure interpretation though. Look at benchmarks.

It takes a lot more effort to setup code. It enforces OOP which a lot of people don't like.
>>
>>60169096
Depends how the database is stored and what gets to sit in RAM cache for both.

A filesystem effectively is a database, just without the full relational functionality.
>>
hi anons, hope you're well tonight. I'm having issues with microphone, never used it before. My OS is Manjaro and I'm using a laptop with a single port for earphone/microphone. I'm a complete idiot so is there just a program I can get for configuring it? If not how can I do this with the pre-installed programs?
>>
>>60168080
>Mouser briefly not responding...

happened after i changed my cpu cooler out. usb headphones started dropping audio but that has since been fixed (not by my hand just sorted itself out). i'm worried i may have done some damage to the mobo itself
>>
File: cancer.png (127KB, 1923x1080px) Image search: [Google]
cancer.png
127KB, 1923x1080px
I haven't installed any Windows 7 updated since September, and I turn my computer off every night when I'm done. Today it popped up with this. What the hell happened?
>>
File: testmode.png (3KB, 70x55px) Image search: [Google]
testmode.png
3KB, 70x55px
How do I make this watermark at the bottom right of my screen go away without actually disabling test mode since I need it for drivers?
>>
>>60169223
>>60168099
Also, Java gained a bad rep with respect to security over the past decade. A lot of this has subsided since the introduction of signed applets in browsers.

>>60168043
You won't be able to pass anything if you don't study..
>>
>>60169246
>You won't be able to pass anything if you don't study..
i know, but i'm wondering if it's a bad idea to continue in CS just in general.
>>
>>60168649
You need the PS3 analogue out cable, then a dual RCA to 3.5mm cable. Plug em together, plug the 3.5mm into line in on the PC.
>>
>>60169240
Could be a number of things anon, but you can roll back a lot of updates iirc.

>>60169255
????
If you don't study, you won't pass jack shit. If you don't plan to do this, drop out. If you get your shit together, you can do it. If you are a fuckin' bitch and don't get with the program, you will be stuck with a lot of debt or a 2.4gpa that no one will want to hire.
>>
>>60169276
>If you get your shit together, you can do it.
I am trying to. I'm also seeing a psychiatrist and a therapist

>If you are a fuckin' bitch and don't get with the program, you will be stuck with a lot of debt or a 2.4gpa that no one will want to hire.
that's my biggest worries. I need to get all A's in the rest of my years because I had 1.8 and 1.3 my first years.
>>
I bought a couple things my credit card this month and last month, for some reason though, it's going through as debit despite being a fucking credit card. One was through ebay, another was through a normal store, it's happened before, but I have no idea why. What's the deal?
>>
why does my monitor's display go completely black if i touch the displayport cable it's connected to my video card with even slightly?
>>
>>60169408
dodgy connector most likely.
>>
>>60169242
Shit, nobody knows?
>>
File: 1481420991888.jpg (492KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
1481420991888.jpg
492KB, 1400x1050px
>>60160835
What is the term when memory cannot complete any work because of overhead activities?

Is this just buffering?
>>
>>60169478
>memory cannot complete any work
Um, memory isn't moving anything so it doesn't do work. This is basic physics, come on.
>>
so what's the /g/ approved search engine? duckduckgo is botnet right?
>>
I want to build a NAS. Been reading up on raidz. Not being able to add more drives after the fact seems like a pretty bad thing. Are the pluses worth it?
>>
File: IMG_2568.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2568.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Just built this and it won't turn on. When take out the PSU and slightly put it in the machine starts for a split second but doesn't fully come on
>>
>>60169478
It's probably not the memory, it's more than likely the CPU. In that case, it's just being overworked.

If it is a limitation of memory speed [unlkely in this day and age,] it's a probably bus bottleneck.

>>60169652
I'm pretty sure you can, you'll just have to copy everything over to a temporary set of drives.
>>
>>60169652
I think the pluses are worth it. You can add more drives, but it has to be the same number of drives you have in a new pool or something. Can't remember the details.

You also have the option to upgrade to higher capacity drives and then selling your old drives.
>>
>>60169699
Do you even have a power button?
>>
File: 502.jpg (19KB, 351x359px) Image search: [Google]
502.jpg
19KB, 351x359px
What just happened.
I put all my music and some porn onto a microSD and inserted it into an old Android. Then I hid and excluded the porn so it wouldn't show some album art anywhere or porn in my gallery easily.
But when I opened BlackPlayer, it had new album art and it was all random. There was no internet connection, and yet it somehow gave a bunch of folders a Pitbull album cover. I changed it manually, but is this normal for BlackPlayer?
I haven't listened to Pitbull in years, or ever had BlackPlayer see a single one of hhis songs.
>>
File: 8bpc.jpg (30KB, 605x416px) Image search: [Google]
8bpc.jpg
30KB, 605x416px
My TV supports 12 bit color(dolby vision) yet my video card software shows 8bpc and I can't change it. I got a 390X and it supports HDR
>>
>>60170040
>buying an LG TV
>ever
enjoy your brick in 2.5 years
>>
>>60169514
Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.
>>
>>60170067
I have 2 LG TVs and the oldest one is over 4 years old and no brick. They're not smart tho.

maybe you mean smart TVs?
>>
>>60170098
yeah

i got a free 42" Smart LED TV back in 2012 as part of my 3 year contract deal

the LED backlights stopped working after 2.5 years, which could be caused by me turning up the backlight to 100

the one you have right now must be a 4K smart tv though right?
>>
>>60170106
yeah it's the 4K with dolby vision and regular HDR10 support UH7700 I believe
>>
I'm trying to RMA stuff I bought for my friend. Can I use my friend's address instead of mine?
>>
best android (stored on device) music app?
needs
>good ui
>good album art rendering
wants
>edit metadata
>automatically fetch album art/song info
>>
File: 1295894314208.jpg (22KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
1295894314208.jpg
22KB, 333x500px
Using Xfinity streaming on my PC. Can I use my phone to change the channels? The official app only seems to be for TV.
>>
>>60170414
have you tried?
>>
>>60170460
The app? Yeah. Only sees my TV and not much in the way of options.
>>
Does accessing your mail using IMAP or POP count as logging in for services that delete your account after a while?
>>
I need a program for Windows 7 that can compress a large mp4 file to a smaller size and burn it to a DVD. Does anyone have any recommendations for a program? It would help me if it has DVD-DL support.
>>
>>60170534
You can't "compress" media files. You can convert them to lower quality to save space.
>>
>>60170584
That's what I meant, yeah. Forgive my terminology. Any recommendation for programs to accomplish this?
>>
>>60170534
>>60170584
>>60170610
I forgot to specify that it needs to be playable in a DVD player.
>>
>>60170615
https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/32323/how-to-make-your-own-dvds-from-almost-any-video-file/
>>
>>60170630
Sorry to make you look for it. Thank you.
>>
>>60170487
Probably not, unless they have a good grip on programming. I would login through the web panel. There's a good chance that the punjabi who programmed it didn't give a fuck to think about it.

>>60170177
Idk but doesn't sound like a good idea.
>>
Even after looking it up I am confused what the X server is.
Is it a tool that's basically higher in priority than the desktop environment or windows manager?
>>
what's currently the best 4chan extension? I stopped using any a while ago but I need an expand all button and I figure I might as well just get the one with the most features
>>
Does a flexible coax cable exist? The few I've tried have been stiff as a wedding prick, and it's a pain to manage the cables for my modem. What's the best way to manage coax cable?

>>60171002
There's still a 4chan-X script for Greasemonkey. On mobile, so I don't have the link.
>>
If I have a PCIE 16x graphics card, and those 16 are the only lanes I have, would the graphics card hop down to 8x to make room for a 1x wifi card?
>>
File: 20170502_000034[1].jpg (1006KB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20170502_000034[1].jpg
1006KB, 2560x1536px
Hey there /g/, I am currently building my first gaymen PC. To save some money, I went through old HDDs I had from other used systems, and found pic related. I can't remember which computer it came from or how it was mounted.

I tried removing the screws but they are in there, both hand and power screwheads haven't done anything.

Is there any way to install it into a case some other way? The one I was looking at had dell/corsair esque tool less bays but this won't fit that. The other side of the drive is normal.
>>
Since I am going to be beginning my professional life soon, what is the best way to get rid of most of my internet presence thus far? I am talking about thinks like social media, old forum posts, etc.

Moreover, what is the best way to set things up so that I can partition work and play accounts?
>>
>>60170693
Thank you.
>>
>>60171101
Anon get a Phillips #1 or #0 and remove those screws.
>>
Are PCIe powered videocards bad for your motherboard?
In what way they are bad?

75w sounds like a lot.
>>
File: 71b1bt4DjBL._SY355_.jpg (11KB, 355x355px) Image search: [Google]
71b1bt4DjBL._SY355_.jpg
11KB, 355x355px
My TV recently shit the bed and I don't have anywhere to plug my PS3. I also have no money so no new TV for the foreseeable future. I might be able to get my old one fixed but I can't be arsed to take it for a diagnosis. If anyone knows about that, I basically dropped it and now the blacks look green. All other colors look perfectly fine, it's just the blacks that take a green tint.
Anyways, I was thinking of getting an HDMI to VGA adapter to plug it into my 720p PC monitor.
Would something like this work for me?
https://www.amazon.com/Rankie-Gold-Plated-Active-Adapter-Converter/dp/B00ZMV7RL2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1493708665&sr=1-5&keywords=hdmi+to+vga
It has a 3,5mm port, so does that mean I can plug in my headphones directly and get stereo sound from it?
>>
what program should i use to open an .sqlite file
>>
What's a good YT app for android that lets me play songs in the background even when the screen is off? Im still on jelly bean btw
>>
>>60171663
NewPipe
Not the Android App Store version, that's a pajeet that stole the code and put ads on it. Get it on F-Droid.
It doesn't support signing in but you can use the official Youtube app and share the video to Newpipe using the share button. There it will allow you to listen in the background or use picture in picture mode that also plays in the background.
It's not perfect but it's the best solution I've found so far.
>>
I want to open youtube always with US region, please tell me how to do it.
>>
File: 1446013417003.png (374KB, 717x698px) Image search: [Google]
1446013417003.png
374KB, 717x698px
>>60171693
Works perfectly, thanks anon.
>>
I asked this over at /sci/, but that board moves more slowl than this one. Hoping I can get some quick help on this problem.

I need some help understanding the sign convention on this optics problem.

So i have a person with bad eyesight 2cm from a lens, this person can see 300cm with relaxed eye and 150cm with strained eye.

I'm supposed to find the focal point for both, but I'm not sure if I just use the lens equation 1/f = 1/p + 1/q.

My p is 2cm, but what about my q for either one? Is the q negative for strained eye and positive for relaxed eye?
>>
So, I was running clamscan on the pdfs I downloaded and turns out I have something like these

Html.Trojan.XSSShell-1 FOUND
Html.Exploit.MHTRedir-7 FOUND

I'm on linux and I don't use adobe's reader, but the thing I'm worried about is that I opened these pdfs from the browser which used the adobe addon. What can I do to get rid of the "infection"? Should I just clear my cache and change my passwords?
>>
>>60171855
p is constant, q is 150 or 300cm, both same sign, f changes.
>>
>>60171512
sqlite. Or if you want something graphical, sqlitestudio.
>>
>>60171451
>Would something like this work for me?

Yes.

>It has a 3,5mm port, so does that mean I can plug in my headphones directly and get stereo sound from it?

Yes.
>>
>>60171434
No. 75W isn't that much when it's at 12V and spread over 5 pins.
>>
>>60171915
okay, so q is always positive then right? just for clarification...
>>
I have a pretty basic portfolio website made in Webflow that I'd like to copy and self-host so I don't have to pay $12 a month + domain for a single static page - how do I go about doing this?

I have the HTML/CSS but how do I put them up elsewhere, that is, does anyone have a resource that will handhold me step by step? Also, where to buy hosting and domain recommended by /g/?
>>
Is there anyway to change the text "app" or "apps" in windows explorer and in the menus to program in windows 10?
I'm stuck with a laptop with windows 10 and this is preventing me from using it.
>>
>>60172127
You should probably focus on curing your autism first dog
>>
>>60171878
>Virus total shows 1/53
>16:11 bad-good scale
>Probably harmless!

What the fuck? How does clamav scan for malware?
>>
what does /g/ use for png compression?
are most tools as good as any others or will there be noticeable differences?
>>
What's the best and most reliable external HDD brand for 4TB and above? I have a 1TB WD My Passport as a gift and it still works wonderfully after so many years.
>>
I have a question. I'm participating at a contest in a forum and now there is a voting process where every member can vote once. How can I make myself win this? I guess that creating 100 accounts and voting would lead me to be banned, right?
>>
What's a good adobe alternative browser based pdf reader?

I know there's Evince, but how do you make it read the pdf files on the browser instead of opening a new window/downloading?
>>
File: aqua!.jpg (129KB, 1272x718px) Image search: [Google]
aqua!.jpg
129KB, 1272x718px
opusenc input.mp3 output.opus
gives an error "parsing the input file" does opusenc only work with wav or something?
>>
>>60165327
I solved it by myself, posting in case anyone besides myself is interested.
for a in image[:,:,2]:
a[:] = [max(x-1,0) for x in a]
>>
Whats a good big computer case that has filters in it?
>>
File: 1440.jpg (22KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
1440.jpg
22KB, 512x384px
My PC has been freezing lately at random. It completely freezes, yet if I'm playing a song or video in the background, audio still plays, although lagged as fuck as if playing at 10% speed. Still, the system remains frozen and I must hard reset.

I'm thinking it might be an SSD or CPU failure. Any ideas?
>>
>>60172613
Slowdowns might be hard-drive related, but also check if your fan is outputting unusual heat, check if your computer is experiencing heat.

Have you tried booting from a Live CD and checking if you are having the same slowdown? If not, then it's a software problem or it's just your hard drive. Try installing a ganoo/loonix OS next to your other OS and see if it works well or not. If it does not work well, then it's hard drive. If it i does, then you have a virus in your other OS. If the problem persists in the live CD, then it's a hardware performance issue.
>>
>>60172642
Problem is that the freezes are really random. I don't have a way to predict them or anything. I don't think heat is an issue, given it always idles at around the same temperature, and the freezes don't happen even if I'm stressing the CPU to high temps.
They've been happening like once a day for the past few days, though. Maybe I could try another disk for some days or so? If the freezes still happen, then something else must be causing them.
>>
>>60172466
Check if it has flags for format specific.

>>60172375
Create good content?

Most of the time, forums are updated and have good counter measures anyway, so try playing it fair unless you don't really give a shit about what everyone will think.

>>60172125
Well, at least your provider makes it seem legit. You can use a free domain name and a free web hosting service, they do exist, but your URL would look weird.

You can alternatively host it from your home computer, but then, you have to give your IP address instead of a clean URL, unless you use no-ip.

You can also go for a very cheap VPS, but you will still need to buy a domain name.

Unless, you have the domain name and want to use a file hosting service? Try 000webhost.com I used to use them before google nuked the *.co.cc domains but if you already pay for a domain name but want to have the files hosted for free, this might do the trick.

>>60171778
I think there exists a firefox addon for youtube proxy somewhere. I don't use it hence I don't know/remember the name, but try looking for it.

>>60171127
Use two different computers/laptops? Get a cheap thinkpad for work and if you really want to play, use your other computer and never EVER merge your professional life into the other computer.

>>60172752
Check your hard drive's health. There's that anime program that does it, can't remember the name. Keywords may be S.M.A.R.T. and Crystal?
>>
File: ss (2017-05-02 at 05.04.25).png (519KB, 1016x835px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2017-05-02 at 05.04.25).png
519KB, 1016x835px
>>60172769
I tried, but it says it's all good.
>>
>>60170923
I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that X may be a graphical representation/emulation of a ground-up program from the terminal.

Hence why it's that old. I guess the "server" keeps running to maintain the basic visuals up like the mouse cursor and very low level CLI to GUI transitions.

I can be wrong, I'm just speculating.
>>
>>60172780
Hmm, have you tried doing a system restore from before when it started happening? What did you install that might have caused it? Did you run a virus scan? Maybe with avast's boot scan? Or perhaps with clamav if you are very paranoid?

I mean, getting a new hard drive just to test if it works or not is good either way, since having a backup drive is highly a good idea, but if the problem is something else and you don't have the budget then it might be awkward.

Though, do a RAM test when you boot. I doubt it may be a ram issue, but do it anyway just to be sure. I have to physically see the issue to see what to do.

Have you dusted your computer recently? If not, do so.

The thing is, if you think it might be a graphics card issue, try taking it out and run it without a graphics card for a week and see if it freezes or not.

Most hardware diagnostics are that, remove one part -> see the problem still persists.

I have to sleep soon, but good luck, maybe someone else can help?
>>
I run a plex server for about 50 people. What's the best way to send out a newsletter to 50 people from an outlook email without it getting flagged as spam?
>>
I've got some .ovpn files and I got a (headless) debian sid server.

What do I use in order to... use these .ovpn files?
>>
>>60172840
Either have them whitelist your email, or try your best to mimic a legit sender.

But if you're the host, wouldn't it work regardless? Have you tested it?
>>
>>60172845
Learn how to use openvpn.
>>
>>60163815
top kek
this should pop up any time somebody types 'is [wildcard] a meme?'
>>
Does something like sci-hub/libgen.io exist for paywalled newspapers?
>>
File: isXameme?.png (29KB, 710x138px) Image search: [Google]
isXameme?.png
29KB, 710x138px
>>60172886
>>
How do I write a windows iso that I have to a USB, from windows?
>>
>>60172850
Host of my plex server yeah, but basically everyone I've invited has their personal associated email visible to me and what I've been doing is just copying these into a list and emailing them all. 75% of the time it winds up in their spam folder.
>>
>>60172918
Rufus
>>
>>60172882
Nah, fuck that.
>>
>>60172940
Then what do you want to do with ovpn files? how did you get them?
>>
What's a good keybroad for android?
>>
Which is the best OS for longer battery life?
>>
What's the best IDE for javascript?
>>
>>60172946
I want to use VPNs, but I'm not motivated enough to expend much effort doing so.
>>
Lenovo ThinkPad E470 vs Dell Vostro 14/15?
>>
I got an e-cig, it's the best thing I have ever fucking bought. I liked the nicotine and the smoke but HATED the fucking awful smell of cancer sticks. Now I can smoke and get a nice flavor in my mouth too. Even inside the house, it just smells like dodgy perfume and nowhere near as potent as a cigarette.

Question is, is it safe to use around my machines? (PC, consoles etc). I know cigarettes leave that fucking buildup of shit on PCs and stuff of heavy smokers.
>>
I have one monitor that I game on, how can I add a vertical monitor to my setup to simultaneously browse 4chan and the web while I game? Is it possible?

I've never tried a dual monitor setup
>>
I'm looking for an external storage setup with redundancy and often see NAS mentioned as the primary choice, but have no clue how these things work.

Is there any way to access NAS not through the network, but rather through direct connection? Are there alternative setups apart from NAS that allow this? If it is not possible, how is the NAS connection secured so that only the owner can access it? SSH?

Another thing is reading/writing files. How does it work with NAS? Do I need to download files off the NAS to access them? What about writing to the NAS, is the writing speed as fast as the Ethernet connection allows it?
>>
>>60160835
I tried /spg/ but the people there are just unbelievably retarded.
I got a really cheap Samsung and to my surprise there is no audio player. I asked and got a retarded reply and a list of apps that all cost money. I tried vanilla player but the album art ruined it an it got annoying. What's a free useable audio app
>>
I just bought an old PC for $70
>Intel Core 2 Duo E8400
>2Gb of Ram
>250Gb of HDD
>a chink 19" monitor
Is this a good deal or not?
>>
>>60160835
I'm decent at my job as a tier 3, but lately the pressure and red tape of corporate bullshit are starting to get to me.
Is it employment suicide to take a tier 2 job for more money and less work? Will I have to explain in future interviews why I went backwards, and is "better pay" an acceptable response?
>>
Could anyone tell me the difference between the DOS boot record and master boot record?
>>
>>60174239
It's decent. More than I'd have paid, but drop in a small SSD and make something fun with it.
>>
>>60174182
>download paid apk from outside the play store
>allow installs from third-party locations
>>
>>60172918
diskpart + winrar
>>
My laptop charger came apart and I superglued it back together, is this an absolutely retarded idea?
>>
File: https.png (15KB, 800x400px) Image search: [Google]
https.png
15KB, 800x400px
Is there a way to "validate" or "timestamp" a web page if it uses HTTPS? Can I use HTTPS/TLS for non-repudiation of a webpage that documents a financial transaction?

I'm dealing with a large, well-known corporation, submitting documents for a rebate. I've looked into it, and they're prone to blatantly denying submissions of documents and changing webpage, according to others who have submitted documents.

I don't think a screenshot of a webpage holds up as evidence. Can I use HTTPS (or something else) to get a digital reciept of a webpage when they show me a confirmation? So if they change it later I can say "Hey i have hash X and your public key, either you're lying or verisign is lying. go fuck yourselves and gimme my money."

Obviously they won't give me the money, but nonetheless, I'd transaction proof just on principle.
>>
File: make randconfig.jpg (41KB, 456x320px)
make randconfig.jpg
41KB, 456x320px
just installed ubuntu, when I try to visit certain websites i get ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
for example 4chan.org/g doesn't work but boards.4chan.org/g works
how to fix this?
>>
Stupid question,
Is safari for windows worth trying or is it too old to be usable? Just curious
>>
>>60169844
Not in frame but yeah
>>
how do i access my mpd library from android
>>
>>60163884
i've used dvdlab pro for dvd authoring before, you can make menus in it
no idea about bluray, never used them before
>>
>>60164689
it can
the start of the drive is faster than the end, and very full filesystems are more prone to fragmentation, so things are more likely to become fragmented when there's little space left, which slows things down as well
>>
>>60174332
You could try to frame it positively. Say you took the job because you felt you could do more to help your customers or something, but it really boils down to who asks.
>>
>>60160835
What are some things to look out for/consider when purchasing a refurbished computer?

My parent's PC is about to die - it's about 14 years old, on a pentium II, etc. The only good thing about it is that there is one HDD for the OS and another one for files, so transferring data won't be a hassle.

I have a spare PSU (purchased two when I made my build a few months ago) so I'm not worried about the integrity on the refurb'd machine.

Anything specific I should look out for/try to avoid? Or would it be more practical to just build them a machine? Mostly asking because my local microcenter has used computers with i5 processors for ~250 usd.
>>
>>60175572
see what their return policy is, and run mem/stress tests before sinking a bunch of time installing & updating

are they first gen i5's? later generations may be worth 250, but an i5-760 in an old build may not be worthwhile.
>>
Best notepad app?

Need something I can type a lot in with not a lot of limits, good interface and organization.
>>
Could anyone point me the right way to figuring out how to region unlock a phone please? I'm having a really hard time and I'm not even sure if it's just me fucking something up.

it's a samsung galaxy s4 gt-i9505
>>
>>60175777
QuickEdit?
>>
>>60175835
Sell it then buy a new phone.
A $150 chink phone in 2017 is just good as a S4, or even better.
>>
>>60175641
the two I'm considering right now have an i5 2400 for 230 usd, or an i5 3470 for 250 usd
>>
>>60175874
I would, but it's not an option that I have, unfortunately.
>>
File: qh2E21n.jpg (127KB, 955x951px) Image search: [Google]
qh2E21n.jpg
127KB, 955x951px
Can anyone please help me figure out whats wrong with my conky config? Trying to spawn a horizontal config on i3; the section before TEXT I copied from another working config, however the new horizontal one spawns for a second with fucked up font rendering, then disappears leaving behind weird glyphs on arbitrary desktop positions.
>>
Made an interesting observation:

My screen kept blacking out for less than a second every few minutes. No loose cables, no fucked graphics card and I assumed the screen was the problem.
Today I looked at my cable management again and noticed that I rolled up the (rather long) power cable leading to the the screen's PSU in a coil of 6 winds and 5cm diameter.

after unwinding this coil the problem disappeared.
Are those 6 winds at 5cm diameter on a regular 220V AC current enough to cause a resonance catastrophe and cause my screen to panic shutdown?
>>
g-guys im sorry for being ignorant weaboos but into to private trackers, gnunet, torrent, magnet and shits plase?
>>
im using the 4x2chan api to get posts, but all of the posts are missing their newlines

4chan is the same thing and the posts come with their newlines just fine, but the 4x2chan api seems to be fucking it up
>>
how do I ask my GP to prescribe me my adderall and wellbutrin?
I'm not a druggy and take them responsibly but my new insurance doesn't cover my old psychiatrist and I really need these meds to be able to function well in life
and since it's new insurance, I've never met my GP before and there's no rapport between her and I so I feel like it's gonna be real awkward asking for controlled substances the first time I see her
>>
>>60177019
Bring your bottles with you and tell them the current situation.I had to do exactly this when my insurance changed to a network plan.They had no problem giving me another month to figure my psych out.
>>
File: Untitled.png (169KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
169KB, 1600x900px
I'm wanting an upgrade on my graphics card because the 200 series I have is pretty shit. I was looking at a 570x, but I'm not too sure what would be the best as I don't want to end up bottlenecking a new card too bad.
>>
Someone helped me solve my issue with my phone.

A new battery helped that Lg g3 to not crash at lower percentages of the battery.

>>60145479

I want to thank you very much for helping me resolve this issue, now I don't have to go out and get a new phone.

It also made me question the backup battery I had, it's seriously questionable (I can squeeze the top) and I could've ended up with exploding pants.
>>
>>60162786
What about one where you can torrent?

>>60162811
For one I don't know that program, I use Rufus mostly, it can use both legacy and UEFI boots.

Have you tried putting your bios in Legacy if it uses the newer UEFI?

Disabled fast boot? Enabled booting from external devices?

Also, try Rufus

>>60163021
What is it used for? Audio?

>>60164163
Some programs need it to run

>>60164209
Depends on how you render it

>>60164256
I doubt that the temperatures would matter that much for what you're going to be using it for, it's not going to be extreme temperatures, so It shouldn't matter that much to you, though it's a dumb design choice because it could shorten the lifespan somewhat. Plus there's a lot of "static noise".

>>60164297
Could be the plug leading to your controls, or to the base. I don't think you'll find that one that easy. are you sure the plug is broken and not the cable? if it's the cable it's an easy fix.

>>60164511
Keep in mind wifi is slower then ethernet, however.. what are the standards of the wifi signal your router is sending? How far away are you from your router? Have you tried running a speedtest in edge? or linux? I don't have enough information to know what's going on.
>>
Is it possible to delegate different browsers to be the default for specific domains in windows?
Specifically, I want chromium to open all twitch.tv links, but firefox everything else.
Thread posts: 325
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.