[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I buy a Pi or an Arduino and why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

File: arduino_pi.jpg (123KB, 1337x621px) Image search: [Google]
arduino_pi.jpg
123KB, 1337x621px
I'm totally new to these boards. I suppose some general questions would include:
-Any reasons why a newbie would choose one or the other?
-What's the difference in the programming behind these?
-What sort of flexibility does each one provide?
>>
retards will buy a pi
>>
if you have to ask, no, you don't need either one
>>
>>60158063
>-Any reasons why a newbie would choose one or the other?
Arduino if you are just using sensors to drive things. Low power, fast response, hardware interrupts, etc
Pi if you need to do some relatively heavy computational lifting.
>-What's the difference in the programming behind these?
Arduino you are stuck with C/C++.
Pi you can use many languages.
>-What sort of flexibility does each one provide?
Arduino, shit all.
Pi, lots.

>Should I buy a Pi or an Arduino and why?
Neither, because you're a faggot.
>>
>>60158063
Arduino = Microcontroller
Pi = Mini PC
>>
>>60158063
Neither; you'd buy either one of them, eagerly wait for it to arrive, dick around with it for 2 maybe 3 days trying to get it to do - something - and get frustrated when you can't. At this point it will go on to somewhere in your room yet conveniently out of sight to collect dust as a forgotten project. Just like all of the other forgotten projects.
>>
>>60158063
wew, this post reeks with cluelessness
don't buy either if you can't even be bothered to look shit up
>>
>>60158063
Is there any specific project you have in mind?
>>
>>60158063
With the Pi you can program on it, compile and run those programs and then use the io pins, whereas you have to flash an arduino from a separate system.

It's one thing.
>>
>>60158063
Pi is computer
Arduino is Microcontroller
>>
File: ulisp.jpg (350KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
ulisp.jpg
350KB, 768x1024px
>>60158063
I have a few different boards, including both of these. the Pi is a small computer. you can run a full operating system on it. the atmega328 (arduino) is a microcontroller. you can compile C on it to define the nature of the chip's function.

if you're new to boards. get a Pi. you can program on it with any language you like, and there are libraries out there for interfacing with the GPIO pins.

once you feel more comfortable, try looking at some arduino projects and pick up an Uno.

or, why not just get both? they're pretty cheap :)
>>
>>60158192
This guy understands the pain...
>>
Get a Pi knockoff for 1/3rd of the price.
>>
>>60158063
Arduino os for automation
Pi is for servers or things that need a computer
>>
>>60158063
you should fuckoff and pay to advertise here rather than relentless shillfag shitposting.
>>
What the Fuck is wrong with you? Use Google. /g/ isn't your personal tech support.
>>
>>60158192
fuck
>>
>>60158063

duino is better for newbies

>>60158192

Just get a shitload of random components and start using it as an advanced LEGO. Chinese ones from ebay are better for prototyping in thee beginning.

t. guy building his temperature/humidity/air pressure monitoring device for his peppergarden
>>
File: 1483719952253.jpg (52KB, 517x524px) Image search: [Google]
1483719952253.jpg
52KB, 517x524px
>>60161691
>peppergarden

uh huh
>>
>>60158063
Buy an rpi3 for experimenting and testing.
Get 5$ rpi zero's or 10$ rpi zero w's for permanent projects.

Rpi zero is a lot cheaper than an arduino and can do so much more things. You can program it in Python which is really sweet.
If you want to go into µC's, Arduino might be a good start but for anything else get an rpi.
Mostly its shooting sparrows with cannons but the rpi is cheap enough to do that.
Make sure you have good literature on it. Shits complicated.
>>
>>60158063
both of them are just toys for hobbyists tbqh
they have very developed libraries to let you do lots of stuff without knowing what the hell is actually going on
Pi at least has a GPU and a faster processor, you'll be able to do more with it.

if you actually want to guarantee you gain a deep understanding of how shit actually works, get a STM32 microcontroller or evn better something like Digilent Zybo. but be prepared to work hard.
>>
>>60158192
eh, if he has no idea what to do with it, he can install pihole and leave it running blocking all ads in the network
>>
>>60162437
the spice must flow
>>
>>60163741
>if you actually want to guarantee you gain a deep understanding of how shit actually works, get a STM32 microcontroller or evn better something like Digilent Zybo. but be prepared to work hard.

The pi is powerful enough to don't care what is "actually going on" so you can focus on more important things.
A programmer that constantly re-invents the wheel by not using existing libriaries is not a good programmer.
If you know where you want to go you can still specialize but for general messing around the rpi is hard to beat.
>>
>>60158063
Arduino can take analog signals as inputs by default.
Pi can't because its a PC and can handle only digital signals without extra converter.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.