[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /g/ hate ubuntu solely because of unity? I can never find

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 15

File: ubuntu-mate-1704-beta2.png (511KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ubuntu-mate-1704-beta2.png
511KB, 1280x720px
Does /g/ hate ubuntu solely because of unity? I can never find out why no one here likes it because all I get is
>lol ubuntu
>lol ubuntu in CURRENT YEAR
I also don't understand why people run different OS's when all desktop environments are available on ubuntu.
Aside from my questions, I would like to see discussion on the pro's and cons of different OS's (Debian stuff, arch stuff, etc) and desktop environment discussion (which is the easiest to customize, what do you want out of your desktop environment?)
Sorry if non of this makes sense, Im a linux noob and I just want to gain a better understanding.
>>
>>60155463
Ubuntu is excellent for everyday using it's just /g/ trolling don't worry.
>>
Ancient packages and if you want anything newer you either have to "make install"/pip/gem/npm it or fight apt for hours
>>
>>60155463
no, they hate it because it made linux bearable for normies.
>>
>all desktop environments
all *popular* desktop environments, arch/antergos/manjaro has less popular EDE, CDE and every window manager available (because arch compiles from AUR repo, it's also possible to compile in ubuntu but it's not automatic like AUR)
also lubuntu "team" is trying to put lxqt on lubuntu for more than a year, while unofficial "ubuntu qt" already comes with lxqt
>>
I hate Linux period nowadays (although I still use it) because it's trying to become Windows.

Ubuntu also brings in more normies who never learn how to really use Linux and shit it up.
>>
>>60155463
They hate it because it's popular. That's about it.
>>
ubuntu uses apt which is shit
>>
>>60155649
So what does EDE, and CDE offer that isnt in one of the mainstream desktop environments? why is it worth switching to Arch for?
>>
>>60155762
Why is apt shit? what are its alternatives and how are they better?
>>
>>60155655
In what ways is it trying to become windows, and why is pulling some parts of your OS from windows bad? as long as they keep telemetry out of it whats the damage?
>>
>>60155636
If normal people see the value in Free (as in free) software and it grows as a result why is that a bad thing?
>>
>>60155557
I've heard macOS is a battery drainer, and if I'm looking for unix like why wouldn't I go linux? its open source, and more easily customizable. what do you personally like about macOS that you prefer it over linux?
>>
>>60155807
>>60155792
>>60155779
>>60155772
>>60155764
These are all me, OP btw, still interested in talking, thanks for participating guys.
>>
>>60155817
Op here, bumping myself cause I'm still interested in talking
>>
>>60155807
macOS is a battery drainer. The truly shitty update deployment mechanism through the App Store breaks every few seconds, older systems (less than 2 years old) getting slower with each operating system update, the fact that a good 50% of macOS functionality is useless to you if you don't buy into the Apple device cartel and get an iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch etc, no standard package manager, no freedom in choosing drivers or kernel modules if you want to customise your (very expensive) laptop, support (even just security updates) is discontinued by the only party that can support it and the community has no hope of continuing that support, so a $2000 system bought 7 years ago is now insecure and vulnerable to threats.. It's comfy...and that's honestly the only thing it has going for it.
>>
>>60155463
It's shills. Ubuntu is great.
>pros and cons of DEs
Okay

>unity
It's actually a great DE. Unlike GNOME it doesn't have oversized window menus and combines the menus with titlebars, giving you more space to work with. The problem is, it's unstable. This is especially true when you try to customize it. It's also discontinued now so you should avoid it and modify your GNOME to look like it instead.

>GNOME
Although it gets a lot of hate it's a great and beautiful DE. It's problem out of the box is explained above.

>MATE
It's probably the most stable DE. It's based on an older version and for some reason has screen tearing and window glitching on any more modern hardware.

>XFCE
A light but very powerful DE. Also has some screen tearing problems, but less than MATE. It would be a go-to DE on weak computers.

>LXDE
Slightly lighter than XFCE but with less features. I can't tell you much since I haven't used it for over a day.

>KDE Plasma
It's a very powerful DE, but it's large and has many components so it'll be unstable on anything other than KDE Neon and openSUSE.

>Pantheon
It's a MacOS UI clone. It's not bad for what it's trying to achieve, but it's not very stable at the moment since ElementaryOS is still in development. It's very dumbed down too.

>Zorin 2
A beautiful DE built on top of Cinnamon (unlike former which was built on GNOME). It has a theme switcher which lets you imitate windows, mac, unity or GNOME UI. It's very heavy tho. And you can't safely theme it using any external tools (which are unfortunately available on the app store), the DE will break down and return to default cinnamon if you mess something up. It's better to use it as is and not install any 3rd party themes.

>Cinnamon
A heavier DE which tries to mimic windows UI. It's kinda ugly and that's the reason I haven't stayed on it. Imo XFCE does a much better job at looking like windows, and so does Zorin which looks much better.
>>
>>60155463
>all DEs are available on Ubuntu
They are, but are not native to it (except Unity, which is now abandoned). As I explained above with KDE, it probably won't be as stable or feature rich as it would be on the distro made by KDE devs (KDE Neon) so using Kubuntu instead of KDE Neon is kinda retarded, just like using Ubuntu Cinnamon instead of Mint is (Both Mint and Neon are based on Ubuntu anyway). The reason it's stable on openSUSE is because SUSE is made by a decent team of developers.
For example, you'd want to use KDE on Neon, Budgie on Solus, Pantheon on Elementary, Cinnamon on Mint.
>>
>>60157246
Can confirm even tough i found Manjaro KDE to be pretty stable too

im gonna say something about different Distros

>Ubuntu (+ Derivatives)
Great Disto, its stable, has a good Package Manager, gets Tons of Corporate and Community Support.
Not many Reasons to use anything else if you're not an Edge case

> Arch (+ Antergos and Installers)
"Bleeding Edge" - Distro which doesnt use a lot of Ressources and as the biggest package Availability through the AUR. But because of the very nature of the AUR it is very unstable and should only be used if you dont find a stable binary anywhere.
The updater is also known to cause Many Problems
>Manjaro
Like Antergos but with it's own stable Repository and Hardware installer.
>SUSE
Very Nice Package Management.
Good Corporate Support and Package Availability almost on par with Ubuntu.
Its also Pretty Easy to configure
Very Stable
>Fedora
Same Package Management as SUSE and also has good Corporate Support.
Package Availability a bit Lacking
Very Stable
>Gentoo/Funtoo/Source Mage
Very Costumizeable Distros which make your PC super fast if you configure them right, but Packages take a long time to install due to being installed from Source
Installing these can be intimidating for New Users and I would not recommend.
Package Availabity also very good due to being installed from Source.
>Others
Mostly Experimental Distros which sometimes bring some innovation but are mostly an Unstable mess.
>>
>>60155463
I've been strongly considering Ubuntu Budgie. I gave up on Linux a few years ago after trying out Ubuntu w/ Unity, Debian and a few other flavours, But I'm seeing/reading a lot about the Budgie DE and how Ubuntu is ok for everday use, which is all I want out of it really
>>
>>60157464
manjaro and antergos take away some safety features
>>
>>60155655
So people complain about Linux desktop market share and how normies are brainwashed. The nthey make the switch to Ubuntu, most likely because its pushed as a beginner friendly distro by a lot of resources, and didn't expect a learning curve involving scripting and command line work. Their attempts at this then cause neckbeards like you to mewl "they're shitting up muh loonix". How else are you expecting YOTLD to come about if all you people do is bitch about new users and do nothing to help them?
>>
>>60155463
i dont really hate it. it has some annyoying things but it has many good things too.
>>
>>60155792
shut up google shill
>>
>>60155463
I dislike it as a server OS because the packages are so fucking old you have to carbon-date them, but I guess that's the price of using LTS to avoid systemd
>>
File: images.jpg (46KB, 637x481px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
46KB, 637x481px
>>60155764
There's a reason why they're not popular
Arch or arch based distro if you want very updated packages low stability, ubuntu or ubuntu based for balance between updates and stability, debian or cent os for servers might be outdated but stable as fuck

Just stick to ubuntu, i use it too and I'm using linux for 5 years now
>>
>>60155463
>Being trolled this hard
>>
File: 1493619511311.png (11KB, 346x291px) Image search: [Google]
1493619511311.png
11KB, 346x291px
As usual, neue/g/ is angsty and contrarian as fuck. Ubuntu actually works, and people here care about distros. Badda bing badda boom, shitposting here, shitposting at noon.
>>
I feel sorry if you had to grow up on apt-get. Truley sory for ur lots.
>>
File: Works.png (219KB, 800x774px) Image search: [Google]
Works.png
219KB, 800x774px
>>60155772
Apt isn't shit. It's actually quite good. The guy you replied to doesn't know what he's talking.
>>
/g/ hates Ubuntu because of people like me, who use it because it practically runs itself yet still lets me gloat that I use Linux. It detracts from the image of those who actually know what they're doing in the public consciousness.

Personally I don't think it's some kind of accomplishment to know how to use a tool. That's only a basic skill in a given field. If I'm to be impressed, show me what you've made with those tools. Kudos if it's more than a bowl of rice.
>>
>>60157246
What about Budgie?
>>
>get ubuntu mini "no bloat"
>install nvidia drivers from package manager
>reboot
>boot up to lightdm log in screen
I never installed that crap wtf?
>>
>>60155772
What kind of apt? APT or apt-get or apittude? Well the three are shit.
>>
>>60158485
It was either there already or came as a dependency for something you installed. (Both of those sound highly unlikely but there you go.) Just purge it and make sure to run autoremove afterward. Reserve panic for only if it somehow comes back on its own again.
>>
>>60155463
i like the aur
>>
I hate it because of apt and it's repos.
>>
>>60158537
AUR is like the ppa with less problems.
>>
>>60158468
>not installing Gentoo
>>
>>60158588
>kevin
You are the false kevin.
>>
File: 1438228554545.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1438228554545.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>60155463

*Some* people on /g/ are hating on Ubuntu because it's a normie distro. Plug and play for people who are more Mac-oriented and just want to click on shit and pretend they are programming. The idea that someone can install Ubuntu and get cred for doing linux without bleeding buckets of code in autistic pain just sets some people off.

Personally, I've no fucks to give. Everyone needs to start somewhere, Ubuntu is one good option for that. If you just need 'mostly basic' linux to get work done and not care about config 4evah, it's also a good general workhorse. If your needs are more specialized, hopefully you learn enough on Ubuntu to find your own personal linux nirvana.

tl;dr -- it ain't hate, it's bantz. Grow a skin and lern to difference.
>>
>>60155463
Clunky, have a bunch of docking stations and other peripherals which Ubuntu sometimes does/doesn't support.

As Fedora is "bleeding edge" all the drivers seem to work seamless. All research is conducted on a guest Ubuntu 17.04 system using QEMU.
>>
>>60155792
'cause "normies REEEEEEEE" and muh sekrit club
>>
>>60158468
You forget that most people on /g/ are mongs that haven't left school/college. No offence to you...I was equally retarded those days. I quickly realised that my passion was vuln. research...I don't like to spend very long sys-admin'ing a box when I could be doing something better with my time.

Kudos to all you nerds faffing and building Gentoo...it's how you learn. I just learned how to do it and choose not to any longer.
>>
>>60158613
Wrong.
>>
>>60158613
I can also confirm that you are wrong.
>>
>>60158613
I am the real Kevin.
>>
>>60158588
>oh my zsh
my nigga
>reddit
nigger
>>
>>60158450
fuck off kevin
>>
File: Wrong.gif (1MB, 480x287px) Image search: [Google]
Wrong.gif
1MB, 480x287px
>>60158613
>>
>>60155463
Try something that is not Ubuntu, or even Debian-based, for three months. Make it your system, don't just boot a liveCD and try it for 10 minutes. Really try something that is actually different from Ubuntu, and you will see that choosing a distro is not about choosing a DE.
>>
>>60158713
Why?
>>60158710
I do really enjoy this new oh-my-zsh theme. Also changed my term colors.
>>
>>60158739
I spent hours cycling through themes just to go back to $user:$pwd $prompt>
>>
>>60158728
the first time you have to install something that isnt in the default repos is a learning experience..

I find that 100x easier on arch than ubuntu.

Real talk, I consider myself a power user and I still fail building shit like 50% of the time, AUR does it first go if its updated.
>>
>>60158774
I was starting to feel the same, but I'm really liking the one I'm using now. It's not too flashy but isn't too bland either. If I decide to stop using it I'll probably just do what you did.
>>
>>60158798
it's the most comfy.
I fail to believe that people want to sit and look at those obnoxious term-width color bars all day. and of your using double line prompts you just cut you buffer length in half.
>>
>>60155463
I don't know about /g/, but my reason is that Ubuntu is built on Debian, and Debian already has all that I want. All Ubuntu adds on Debian is so-called "intuitiveness" that makes the system harder to use precisely.
>>
>>60155463
>what do you want out of your desktop environment?
I want it to stay away as much as possible and just let me use the programs I run in it. Which is why I use StumpWM.
>>
>>60157607
You're addressing a very small group of people with that generalization, which makes it along with the indignation you charge it with pointless.
>>
>>60155779
The reason I want a Unix-based system is because they're simple, transparent and understandable. Making them more Windows-like makes them more complex, more opaque and less understandable.
>>
File: le image.png (274KB, 495x665px) Image search: [Google]
le image.png
274KB, 495x665px
>>60155463
those who whinge always make so much noise that it seems next to noone uses ubuntu whereas the silent majority is just that, silent, and they get on with what they have to do
>>
They hate it because of Amazon botnet.
A lot of /g/entlemen here use Mint.
>>
No, I love Ubuntu, it's great. I don't use it because I prefer a different package manager, newer packages, and a rolling-release model, but that's just preference.

Ubuntu's great and I appreciate everything Mark Shuttleworth has done to provide an alternative operating system that's usable for average people.
>>
File: 1481497509942.png (176KB, 300x360px) Image search: [Google]
1481497509942.png
176KB, 300x360px
>>60155463
>>60155636
>>60155655
>>60155807
>>60157565
>>60157607
>>60158197
>>60158468
>>60158624
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60159617
moar pls
>>
AMD Bullshit
>>
>>60155463
>ubuntu
I dont want Botnentu to give all my data to Amazon in real-time
>>
>>60160790
you have to opt in for that amazon shit
>>
Because it is a fucking Botnet OP

>>60157464
You forget Debian
>>
>>60158636
Basically this.
>>
>>60155463
/g/ hates ubuntu because it's easy and easy things don't make them feel cool so they use broken piles of shit like Arch because it's a pain in the ass without requiring you to be intelligent.
>>
Linux is a piece of shit. Basic things to get working you must compile and make a long script. Open source software will always be worse than proprietary. Because proprietary software has more ppls working on it. The normal user can't contribute due the lack of skills.
>>
>>60160876
>you have to opt in

I don't know now because I uninstalled that unstable piece of shit when the Amazon botnet blow up but back then it was OPT OUT.

We Linux Mint now fucko
>>
>>60155463
Honestly, Linux is very fragmented, in comparison to Mac OS and Windows. Every distribution is different but it all runs on the same kernel anyways. (Not entirely, because version differences, but it's still the same fucking kernel.)

Let's be real for a second here. If Ubuntu/OpenSuse or Ubuntu/CentOS (Desktop/Server) were the only distributions, how much more marketshare would Linux be holding? I'm talking about OOBE btw.
>>
>>60162136
>Linux Mint
>>
File: wayland-screenshot.png (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
wayland-screenshot.png
2MB, 3840x2160px
>>60155463
>>
>>60155463
Becouse it's shitty version of Debian GNU/Linux.
>>
>>60162233
nice dub dubs
ah linux mint, ubuntu's fatter and uglier cousin with twice as many bugs
>>
>>60157587
I don't know about Manjaro, but Antergos is quite literally Arch with an installer. It still expects you to be a half decent linux user to optimize your own experience with it.
>>
File: 1390065941402.gif (2MB, 250x195px) Image search: [Google]
1390065941402.gif
2MB, 250x195px
>>60155762
>muh pacman with obscure argument naming scheme
>>
>>60157246
Plasma has been stable since this summer you faggot
Even on arch it hasn't had a single crash since august when it got the stability updates
>>
>>60155463
>Unity
>zeitgeist-daemon
>spyware literally called zeitgeist.

Does /g/ hate ubuntu solely because of unity?

fucking retards.
>>
>>60157464
Fedora is testing for RedHat Enterprise, not really stable whatsoever.
Also, Fedora and SUSE both use RPM package format, but neither actually uses the package manager itself called RPM. SUSE used Zypper and Fedora used to use YUM but now uses DNF which is an improvement of YUM.
Similarly, Mandriva-based systems like Rosa or Mageia, those also have RPM format but use URPMI to actually manage the packages.

APT sucks because it's literally stupid, it really isn't as featured or protected as any of the above managers. It likes to break complicated dependency situations and so on.
One of the reasons Fedora SEEMS so stable is that DNF is very good at what it does, which is manage dependencies et c
>>
File: IMG_1714.jpg (196KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1714.jpg
196KB, 768x1024px
>>60160774
Not poster but here.
I'm trying out antergos after feeling ubuntu is kinda heavy. Also wanted to try out kde
>>
>>60162454
It's not stable. I'm a KDE Neon user.
Thread posts: 85
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.