[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Phone FM Radio

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

File: FMRadio.png (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
FMRadio.png
15KB, 300x300px
I've been looking for a recent phone with FM radio. I used to have one in the Alcatel OneTouch Icon but it was 3G. In my search I came across this
theverge.com/2017/2/16/14636508/ajit-pai-smartphone-fm-radio-activation
>Though it’s not well known, most smartphones include an FM radio that would be capable of receiving and streaming local stations. In the United States, the majority of these are disabled — Pai says that as of last fall, only 44 percent of the “top-selling smartphones” in the US had activated FM radios, compared to 80 percent in Mexico.
It goes on to say that the choice to disable the FM chips is because it would cut into carrier data profits and other sales like iTunes.
Does /g/ have an FM enabled phone and use it?
It's pretty much the deciding factor in my next phone purchase.
>>
>>60151820
https://www.slashgear.com/does-my-phone-have-fm-radio-inside-09471304/
Has a list of some recent phones with enabled FM. I tried the NextRadio app that's suggested and it seems that while my phone has an FM chip, it is disabled. It then led me to
http://freeradioonmyphone.org/
where it encourages people to contact carriers, Congress and the FCC.
>>
My unlocked OnePlus X has great FM radio
>>
>>60151820
I use the Sony Xperia Z5 Compact which I got second hand off Amazon. I don't regret it. The only thing that pisses me off about is it that the back button is on the left. I like using my phone in my right hand and that's a stretch for my thumb. Whatever. It has a metal shell, FM radio and it's still getting updates.
>>
File: owj8mGw.jpg (57KB, 800x682px) Image search: [Google]
owj8mGw.jpg
57KB, 800x682px
>>60151885
>mfw the free market is supposed to fix everything and keep consumers satisfied but I have to ask the government to pass a law just to get FM radio back on my fucking phone
>>
>>60152617
I think more an awareness thing. Since iphones are usually locked down, users aren't really aware that those phones have a disabled radio. Since Apple doesn't have it and that userbase doesn't talk about it, most other smartphone users are also unaware of it. Carriers then get to disable it, for some kickback from app devs, without any negative attention.
I'm sure many would ask what's the point of FM radio on an internet connected device. Not having to use data, that's almost always capped, to listen to weather, news, sports and music for nothing but the use of the battery is a damn good deal.
>>
>>60153119
Also, I don't know about getting the FCC to regulate something like this, but another way might be to appeal to radio broadcasters. It's their market that phone carriers are denying. Leveraging potential audience/profit to pit the two markets might stir the pot.
>>
I might use it if I find a good Foss app, it would be great while I work.
>>
Turns out the stock music app on BB10OS has a radio mode and that my last two phones have had FM radios
>>
>>60155189
>>60155402
My Alcatel OneTouch had a native app for FM radio. It worked pretty well considering it uses the head phones for an antenna. I had thought about making a telescopic antenna that would plug into the headphone jack and then just use it in speaker mode when I got the best signal.
>>
File: appleFM.png (171KB, 300x279px) Image search: [Google]
appleFM.png
171KB, 300x279px
Apparently the Apple watch also has FM capabilities. Probably disabled as well.
>>
File: TIWiLink.jpg (132KB, 628x400px) Image search: [Google]
TIWiLink.jpg
132KB, 628x400px
Besides Broadcom, TI also has an "all in one" TX/RX chip as well.
>>
>>60151820
I have a Xiaomi Redmi 3 Pro, and it does have FM Radio (And an IR blaster)

I believe the 4 has them too, if you're looking to get into the chink market
>>
>>60152580
The z5 compact is plastic and glass. If your are struggling to reach across it, you must have tiny hands. The phone is as small as they come these days.
>>
Moto g lte has unlocked FM. I use it all the time.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170501-102007.png (84KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170501-102007.png
84KB, 1080x1920px
>>60151820
Zenfone 3 has one right out of the box
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.