[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the OS the best part of owning a mac?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 147
Thread images: 13

File: weezer.png (94KB, 962x523px) Image search: [Google]
weezer.png
94KB, 962x523px
Is it true it's the best operating system?
What do you reckon? Is there anything better?
>>
>>60139929
yep windows and linux are both better
>>
it is definitely one of the better thins about them.

each OS can be great and work for the right person, I run macos and linux, I think they are subjectively just as good as each other...at least for me.
>>
>>60139929
Just make a hackingtosh. It actually works pretty well.
>>
The best part of owning a Mac is that you don't have to hide you're homosexual anymore
>>
It's the most productive programming environment.
Can't waste time with games (Windows) or excessive ricing (Linux)

Newer releases of OS X sadly don't improve on the core experience anymore, but at least they don't manage to make it worse
>>
>>60139929
mac os is animated shit for sociology girls. e
>>
File: 1485901586118.png (456KB, 696x938px) Image search: [Google]
1485901586118.png
456KB, 696x938px
>>60139929
>>
File: 1471001489236.png (227KB, 704x783px) Image search: [Google]
1471001489236.png
227KB, 704x783px
>>60139929
>mac
>>
>>60140661
>appul stole muh musik
>from muh laptop i stole
daym nigguh u 4 real?
>>
>>60139929

>got a used macair
>thought i would give osx a go
>no access to / file system
>google enable /
>5 page guide
>nope.jpg

keep your fischer price shite
>>
The quality of MacOS peaked with 10.6.8. Every version after that introduced more and more UX regressions.
>>
>>60140798
Why do you want to access to / in first place?
>>
>>60140661
but iTunes is cross platform
>>
>>60140798
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>60139929
Best part of owning a Mac isn't the OS. OS is pretty good and all, however the real meat is showing everyone else that I own a Mac. Even more so is when I own all the Apple products, I can show them to others as my own. Isn't life great with brand recognized consumer goods?
>>
>>60140129
>>>/pol/
>>
>>60139929
I have a work issued macbook pro that I've been using for a couple years now. The best part is the touchpad. The aluminum body is nice too, but that's not exclusive to macbooks. The operating system is complete garbage. I just recently installed Arch Linux and won't be looking back.
>>
>>60141637
>The operating system is complete garbage. I just recently installed Arch

what advantage does linux have over macos?
>>
>>60141700
Here's some of the things that bother me about OSX that don't seem to be an issue on Linux.
OSX requires the terminal for too many simple things such as disabling (or speeding up) animations or showing hidden files in the file manager. KDE has all those kinds of settings exposed in a GUI.

The window manager on OSX is too limited in functionality. No window pinning (so it appears on all desktops). No way to adjust transparency of window with keyboard shortcut. No way to toggle window titlebar on/off. It still doesn't have tiling when you drag windows into the sides/corners of the screen unless you pay for some third-party software. In KDE this is a feature that comes by default (and has come by default for years). Dock and top panel are coupled with the window manager and cannot be removed/replaced without hacking the system in ways that were not intended.

OSX has some major usability flaws such as cmd-q being the shortcut to instantly terminate the active application with no warning. It happens to be very easy to hit by accident since it is in the middle of several other very common shortcuts such as: cmd-a (select all), cmd-s (save), cmd-w (close tab), cmd-tab (cycle active application). To disable that shortcut must be done on a per-application basis. The bluetooth stack still runs when the laptop is asleep even when you have wake-on-bluetooth disabled. This causes it to connect to your headphones every 10 minutes or so while it is in sleep mode. Even if you disconnect before putting the laptop to sleep, it will reconnect when you wake the laptop up and pause your current audio stream if you are playing music from your phone (for example). cmd-tab to a minimized application leaves it minimized.

OSX lacks good package management. Homebrew is not anywhere near as good as any major Linux distro's software repositories. In particular, Arch Linux's official repositories + AUR are unbeatable.

There is more but I'm hitting the character limit.
>>
>>60139929
>Is the OS the best part of owning a mac?
>Is it true it's the best operating system?

Yes.

>Is there anything better?

No.
>>
>>60139929
Yes because the OS is only bad but the hardware is downright horrible abomination
>>
>>60141637
Didn;t your battery life suffer since Macos drivers is optimized to run longer on a mac hardware?
>>
>>60142087
Maybe a little bit, but I haven't really noticed. Since I mostly use it at work, it tends to stay plugged in a lot of the time while it sits on a stand connected to 2 external monitors.
>>
>>60140798
Wut?
Just access it/its sub directories via terminal
If you absolutely need access to /, then you should be able to use a Unix terminal to do whatever you want
Or better yet, just 'open /[directory]' to get it in Finder
Yet another "macOS is dumbed down because I'm too stupid to get passed the idiot-proofing"
>>
File: Screenshot_20170424_195038.png (3MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170424_195038.png
3MB, 1920x1200px
KDE > Aqua
>>
>>60141413
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>60142131
Still.. i'd feel dirty replacing a genuine copy of Macos for a neckbeard os like arch. Granted if you have an install script for arch and know what you need, it can be very barebones yet useful.
>>
>>60142087
I've actually noticed in recent times that a properly configured Linux system (TLP and PowerTop) is equitable to macOS on my rMBP 2015 for all purposes outside of idle/sleep or macOS specific application use.
Firefox will eat up just as much battery on both systems, as will thing like GIMP or LibreOffice.
That said I still primarily use macOS on it since I need Adobe programs/MS Office.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170430_070517.png (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170430_070517.png
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>60142208
>>
>>60142309
How to type to search?
>>
>>60142259

Macos is superior for media design not because Adobe and Ms Office since Ms is respectable enough to have builds for billions of of dewices.

Rolling your own OS is way better for tasks like private notetaking, safe banking using a chrooted web folders, encrypted disk etc
>>
>>60142324
You can type to search from that screen, or you can hit alt-space from the desktop to bring up krunner, which is more configurable and can also search things other than applications if you want it to (it has plugin support, so people have added all kinds of functionality to it).
>>
>>60139929
its a good OS for laptops and it works well with the touch pad and has a lot of good built in features to help cope with not having a large display but for a desktop OS just get windows.

i do a lot of /prod/ shit and i notice that DAWs are a bit more stable on my mac than on my desktop.

i like how the applications menu bar is always at the top of the screen. one pet peeve is the dock, in windows i use the classic taskbar which gives you nice wide tabs for all your running applications and the ability to ungroup multiple application windows is not there on osx. another annoying thing about the dock is its easy to click on the wrong application if you are not paying attention.

tldr my mac has been more reliable in terms of shit not crashing or abruptly quitting.
>>
>>60142324
>>60142374
I also just found out that if you are on the desktop with no active application you can just start typing to search without hitting alt-space
>>
The only reason I'd consider a Mac is for the resale value. You can sell a MacBook Pro for over 75% of its original price after two years. If I wanted to stick with one device and one device only, I'd get an MBP so I could just spend £3-400 every few years to upgrade to the newer model.
>>
>>60142423
Also, that nifty network recovery feature that will download and install the OS without the need for installation media on a blank drive. That's a really nice thing to have though I'd likely never use it.
>>
>>60141413
/pol/ is full of closet faggots.
>>
It is, mainly because of the fact that Apple builds the software on it's own hardware. It's a meme, but it's true.
Case in point: if you would get a Hackintosh, upgrading it is a major pain in the ass whereas it is automatic on an Apple computer.

There are some things that are really annoying since Sierra came out though.
>dialog box comes up that you can't close every time you start up your Mac saying you should upgrade your iCloud space (if you run out)
>iTunes is fucking ridden with BUY APPLE MUSIC TODAY

Other than that, it's okay.
>>
>>60140654
Hmm...
>>
>>60139929
> Is the OS the best part of owning a mac?
Nah, personally I think the delightful feeling of tim cuck, steve jobs and NSA penises in your asshole is much more important
>>
The only reason I'm on macOS is due to xcode being locked into the platform. I would drop it in a heartbeat for literally anything else.
>>
>>60141340
his memory
>>
Yes, Fedora is a better operating system.
>>
>>60140153
>can't waste time with ricing (linux)
Then... Don't do it? What a fucking idiotic argument.

>>60142601
Does not prompt for each individual conflict, just a global prompt.

>>60141301
>b-but why would you want to do that
You fags are insufferable.

>>60142147
>having to use the terminal to open a directory
This has to be a joke.
>>
>>60142423
>>60142448
Finally someone that knows.
>>
>>60141700
>what advantage does linux have over macos?
System-wide package management.
>>
>>60142824
It's no joke you little cunt, now go back to Facebook if you can't stand the scary text-box looking thing. You don't need access to /.
>>
>>60142848
>you don't need access to your own operating system because apple said so
Cry harder.
Linux does not have this problem.
>>
>>60142889
No, one does need access, and can easily do so.
You don't because you're too much of an idiot to use a terminal, yet suggest using a GNU/Linux system.
At this point I have to assume you're just pretending to be retarded.
>>
>>60142912
Of course I suggest Linux, it's easier. You don't need the terminal for basic shit like opening a directory.
>>
>>60142601
Poor people have entire folder of lies they dump any time a mac thread gets made. They're always at least a decade old and totally false. It's fun for the autistic kids though, makes them feel superior for their consumption.
>>
>>60143166
Again: the merge behaviour is primitive. It has no prompt for each individual file, just a "replace all" and "skip all".
>>
>>60142824
>stop trying to understand me ;_;
Fucking special snowflakes.
>>
>>60142824
>he can't access / with finder
Found the moron.
>>
>>60143246
Show me how to do it using only Finder.
>>
>>60142928
No, but you need terminal for everything else, including things that even haiku has solved in GUI.
>>
>>60143260
>No, but you need terminal for everything else
Such as?
>>
>>60143275
>install applications
>delete applications
>configure boot time options
>configure the GUI
>manage systemctl
>manage color calibration
>make your graphics card work
>install third party software
And a bunch of etc.
>>
>>60143259
>in terminal type defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
>access from Macintosh HD
Enjoy it.
>>
>>60142844
That still can't differenciate between user applications and system applications.
>>
>>60143325
He's already established he's too stupid to even comprehend what a terminal is, apparently, so this won't help him destroy his root directory any more effectively.
>>
>>60143353
But somehow finds linux easier.
>>
>>60139929
Looks nice but it's not particulary good for anything
>>
>>60143312
>install applications
>delete applications
Software app.
>configure boot time options
Grub Customizer.
>configure the GUI
What does this mean? Which GUI?
>manage systemctl
Systemd-ui.
>manage color calibration
Color profiles can be changed with the Display settings menu.
>install third party software
Either Software app if you have a package, or through the package's GUI installer (for example Jetbrain IDE's have that).
>And a bunch of etc.
Continue, because you were wrong on every single one here.

>>60143325
>using only Finder
>"in terminal"
Kek.

>>60143353
>h-he is dumb
Holy shit someone's angry.

>>60143368
I'm sorry you're too stupid for Linux.
>>
>>60143403
>software app
Can't solve the issues with package management.
>grub customizer
Broken.
>What does this mean? Which GUI?
Options of that horrible shit called X.org. For example, X.org doesn't restore gamma automatically.
>Systemd-ui.
Third party only in KDE and still hasn't all the shit.
>Color profiles can be changed with the Display settings menu.
You can't calibrate a screen in linux with that menu, and also, is basic as fuck.
>Either Software app if you have a package or through the package's GUI installer (for example Jetbrain IDE's have that).
I'm precisely talking about software that isn't packaged. Usually these are a pain in the butt to deal.
>Kek.
What do you spec? configure the defaults plist via finder?
>I'm sorry you're too stupid for Linux.
Says the moron that can't use the terminal on a Mac.
>>
File: failed.gif (3MB, 400x224px) Image search: [Google]
failed.gif
3MB, 400x224px
>>60143403
I'm not mad
I'm just impressed
Either by your dedication to this troll
Or your ability to learn to use a keyboard with your learning disability if you're actually serious
>>
>>60143512
>Can't solve the issues with package management.
What issues? What are you talking about? It works fine for me.
>Broken.
Proof? Works fine for me.
>Third party only in KDE and still hasn't all the shit.
What does "third party" even mean here, and how is it a problem? And what options are missing that you can do on the terminal?
>You can't calibrate a screen in linux with that menu, and also, is basic as fuck.
You can make a color profile and use it with that menu, but sure, fair point.
>Options of that horrible shit called X.org. For example, X.org doesn't restore gamma automatically.
Ah, right. Can you calibrate the macOS Window Server through a GUI?
>I'm precisely talking about software that isn't packaged. Usually these are a pain in the butt to deal.
Ok, then go bitch to the developer, what does GNU/Linux have to do with it? It's entirely possible to create packages, some idiots decide not to.
>What do you spec? configure the defaults plist via finder?
Try again in English.
>Says the moron that can't use the terminal on a Mac.
Proof? I probably use the Mac terminal more than you, I work with macOS. I just don't think something as simple as opening a folder should require it.

>>60143535
>I'm not mad
>>
>>60143667
Messing with the root directory of your OS drive is not something 'simple', macOS is designed for mainstream use, the barriers to things such as the installation of unsigned programs, disabling rootless, and showing hidden directories in Finder are there to keep typical users from breaking things (see; older people constantly breaking Windows due to the defaults allowing too much).
If you need to access the root directory, you should be able to use a terminal. The functionality to see and modify it is not missing, it's simply not apparent. In fact, I wish Linux distributions did this, things like accessing / and adding 3rd party repositories are far too easy on Ubuntu and the like, leading to an incredible ease with which uninformed users fuck things up.
Just don't use macOS if you hate it so much, I don't care, but don't pretend like you don't understand why Apple would prefer your Grandma doesn't have access to / by default or why this is more user friendly not less.
>>
>>60143897
>Finder are there to keep typical users from breaking things
Good thing it requires root permissions then, huh?
Stop trying to excuse this kind of retarded design, I shouldn't have to use the Terminal to have basic functionality. And this is from someone whose job is 80% done in a SSH session.
>>
I use OSX at work because my boss is an Applefag.
Is there a way to quickly snap windows like in Windows?
Everyday I get to work and have to manually drag every window I use to size, it's annoying.
>>
>>60144011
Spectacle can do hotkey-based tiling, it's what I use.
>>
>>60144011
There's a keyboard shortcut I think.
>>
>>60143667
>What issues? What are you talking about? It works fine for me.
Yeah, because you're accostumed to the way of Linux.
Linux can't separate properly user and system applications, can't handle multiple versions of same library, needs root permisions every time to install any application because all of them are lumped to the same root owned folder, etc.
>Proof? Works fine for me.
Grub customizer stopped working in manjaro and arch derived distros. It doesn't work for me.
>What does "third party" even mean here, and how is it a problem?
It's managed by the systemd project, I fucked it there, but still doesn't integrate with other DE's. Also it has incomplete options. Oh, and it's maintained by only one person.
And what options are missing that you can do on the terminal?
Searching on it. I don't remember all details tought.
>Ah, right. Can you calibrate the macOS Window Server through a GUI?
In fact yes, I have it done all the time. If you're in graphic design and use a calibrator they also distribute software that uses the services built-in quartz.
>Ok, then go bitch to the developer, what does GNU/Linux have to do with it?
They decided to continue the tradition of not make it easy to literally have every application restricted to their folder and their libraries. It's a problem that others have talked about it countless times. Thanks to the muh tradition.
Even MacOS has the problem somewhat solved.
>Try again in English.
Do you want to configure the defaults plist that controls finder via Finder? Why?
That's the equivalent of configuring sudoers without visudo.
>Proof?
This thread. You're bitching because a thing that I can do, and in fact Idid, in less than 30 seconds.
>>
>>60143972
Since when in Mac OS view the root directory showing all the Unix (That most people don't need to see because for that is Cocoa, Carbon and all that APIs) shit is "basic functionality"?
>>
>>60144123
>Linux can't separate properly user and system applications
I'm pretty sure package managers have local installations. Not through the GUI, but well neither does the App Store.
>can't handle multiple versions of same library
This one's just false.
>needs root permisions every time to install any application because all of them are lumped to the same root owned folder, etc.
So does the app store.

>Grub customizer stopped working in manjaro and arch derived distros. It doesn't work for me.
Then stop using bleeding edge stuff, Christ sake's. I've had shit brake in Arch occasionally, but no one forced me to pick an unstable distro.

>It's managed by the systemd project, I fucked it there, but still doesn't integrate with other DE's. Also it has incomplete options.
Name actual problems, like "this doesn't work" or "this option is in systemctl and not on the GUI".
>Oh, and it's maintained by only one person.
So is the launchctl frontend, and that's fine.

>In fact yes, I have it done all the time. If you're in graphic design and use a calibrator they also distribute software that uses the services built-in quartz.
Ah ok, good point then.

>They decided to continue the tradition of not make it easy to literally have every application restricted to their folder and their libraries. It's a problem that others have talked about it countless times. Thanks to the muh tradition.
I don't understand how this can be true. I have a ton of programs accessing libc in Linux for example.

>Do you want to configure the defaults plist that controls finder via Finder? Why?
No, I want access to my root folder.

>This thread. You're bitching because a thing that I can do, and in fact Idid, in less than 30 seconds.
Again, not wanting to use the terminal for basic shit != not knowing how. I could tell you to configure Xorg through the terminal, but wanting a GUI is reasonable. I actually like this discussion, don't ruin it with "people who disagree with me are dumb".
>>
>>60144411
>This one's just false.
itvision dot altervista dot org why.linux.is.not.ready.for.the.desktop.current.html
There's a list of issues derived from package management. He has better explained the issues with linux application development and deployment that OSX doesn't have.
>No, I want access to my root folder.
By default your root folder has most files hidden. You still can access to them via a shortcut to the main drive.
If you want to see all the hidden shit, the you configure the finder.
Windows have some protections like that too.
>>
>>60144649
Yes, and I have posted a bunch of counter-points to that article a bunch of times. This discussion was about things you can do in a macOS GUI that you can't do with a Linux GUI, but if you want to turn it into a package management discussion fine: Linux wins by a huge margin simply because macOS has no actual package management.

There's the App Store that consolidates a bunch of things into apps. For example, you don't install gcc, you install XCode that installs that and 500 other CLI tools. You don't update the kernel, you update the OS. And you can't add repositories like with any package manager, so third-party software has to be installed through a .dmg like I'm a winfag using the browser to install stuff.

Next you'll say "well use homebrew" and to be fair homebrew is much better except it doesn't have a GUI (that I know of) and that it now has to handle a bunch of links because that's how it install stuff, it's constantly fighting against XCode. Every time macOS updates, brew breaks a bunch of links. And it's still not a system-wide package manager, brew isn't going to update quartz or the kernel obviously. Updating my system at work actually puts fear into me because I know I'm going to spend the next few hours fixing issues on an OS that "just werks".

Meanwhile in Fedora I can update my entire system with just dnf, I never have conflicts, updates are heavily optimized in size thanks to delta RPM's (which no other package manager has). If I want some obscure software that doesn't exist on the Fedora repos, I just add a repo and now it's handled by dnf. We can argue that macOS is better at some things than Linux, but package management is by no means one of them.
>>
>>60144963
No, package management isn't the strong point of macOS, (In fact it has, but is very primitive one) but also has permited acomplish things that Linux or other unices can't do.
But yes, Apple should implement some strong form of package management that solves the issues of other unices and also brings the stability to the system.
>>
>>(60141874)
heres a (You)
>>
>>60143339
You're right, hey what's the option to do a user install on the App Store called again?
>>
>>60145201
>missing the point
>>
>>60145238
No, I'm not. You're pointing out that Linux has a flaw, I'm pointing out that so does macOS.

Glass roofs.
>>
Sort of.

The best things about owning a mac:

-A very common system build, less conflicting shit, it's always Apple's fault if there's something wrong with it
-The system, pretty stable, has plenty of software for production
-A few things like the trackpad

The worst things:
-Hardware that's mostly soldered and not easy to repair
-Also pretty shitty hardware, most of that money goes to things like the display/storage while everything else is pretty crappy

I will always say, like many other people, Apple is selling an experience. The experience of (mostly, because we know how fucked up things have been in the last years) having a setup that just works, doesn't update constantly, doesn't get a lot of different bugs because it doesn't try to experiment a lot and everytime they put a new product out they don't really change things drastically, just add or (more usually now) remove features. For some people this is important.

For me, there's one thing that I always wanted from electronics ever since I was a child: For them to just work, be robust and have a specific set of features. I don't want random extra shit, I don't want lack of stability in favor of support for something new I may not give a shit about. I just want something that works as I expect it to work. I wanted my gameboy to play games. I wanted my digital camera to take fucking pictures. I'd rather have a device do 3 or 4 things for 5 years straight without ever changing, as long as it does those well. Nowadays I buy a laptop and suddenly the drivers on the thing are making the touchpad use 100% CPU for some reason, but there's no alternatives. Or I buy a smartphone and I have to root it just so the perfectly good LED it has can be used for notifications, with the added risk that at some point some update will make some random application stop working. That pisses me off more than anything else.
>>
>>60145475
>I just want something that works as I expect it to work.
Definitely do not use macOS.
>>
>>60145506
>t. lincuck
>>
>>60145506
After distro hopping for several years, and going through every Windows version since 98SE I can say that macOS so far didn't exactly give me as many problems. If you're talking about adaptability with things like closing and resizing windows for instance, I didn't expect macOS to behave like Windows and I think neither should anyone else. However I expected it to have no problems with things that I had some trouble with on Linux (setting up VNC, google drive or getting some /gd/ software to work) and I fail to see any trouble at all on macOS.

The issue with Apple is hardware, more than software.
>>
>>60140798
There's a shortcut to / on the fucking desktop.
>>
>>60146069
Uh no there isn't, Macintosh HD doesn't go there unless you first google how to enable /. Stop lying to your fellow anons.
>>
>>60146090
Uh since when do you need to enable /?
>>
>>60146107
Since ever? It's not visible in Finder by default.
>>
>>60146126
Uh, you're still in the proper directory, it's just not showing hidden files.
>>
as someone that used a Macbook Air for about 5 years, it could definitely be better, but if you can get it through college/university or even school, while not having to pay it back or return it when you finish the course or finish school, it's not entirely bad.
spec-wise they're pretty shit, especially any that have 2GB memory
>>
File: mCT4J00.png (425KB, 480x1146px) Image search: [Google]
mCT4J00.png
425KB, 480x1146px
>>60146069
>>60146107
>>60146145
I had to enable the Macintosh HD icon and also the shortcuts in Finder manually.
>>
>>60146173
No you didn't.
>>
>>60146145
How is that the fucking same?

>>60146183
>i-it's a lie
>>
>>60142147
>just use the terminal!!!
Same faggots who complain about the Linux terminal, lmao.
>>
>>60146221
>How is that the fucking same?
He said he couldn't access /, which is wrong. Whether or not he could see all the files in / is another story, Finder hides files. Only specifically Finder though. So if I were to use ls in a terminal emulator or file:/// in a browser I'd still see everything in /.
>>i-it's a lie
It's a blatant lie.
>>
>>60146239
If Apple does it, it's fine.
Using the Terminal to configure Finder, a graphical app? Fine.
Using the Terminal to configure EFI variables? Blasphemy.

>>60146261
Christ dude, whatever. You can access /, you just can't see any of the standard Unix / directories unless you run some obscure command. There.
>It's a blatant lie.
I had to add Macintosh HD to the sidebar as well, I know there's a dropdown somewhere, but that takes longer.
>>
>>60146261
Wow, being hidden/having to add them into Finder is still having them disabled. You're being semantic. Of course you're able to use a fucking terminal and go to root. Anyone who's even remotely Unix savvy would know this.

You still have to take time and go out of your way to add something that used to be default in OS X.
>>
>>60146321
Oh no, the defaults aren't set exactly the way you'd like? Just like every other operating system in existence.
>>
>>60146313
ayo hol up

ls / is an obscure command? The what now?
>>
>>60146347
That's like hiding the root of C:\ on Windows and having to go through 7-8 submenus to activate it again. It's not some small nitpick setting that was disabled.
>>
>>60146404
>having to go through 7-8 submenus to activate it again. It's not some small nitpick setting that was disabled
It is when 95% of the users remain unaffected, especially when the solution involves a mere 5 seconds in the terminal.
>>
>>60146347
It's fine that the defaults aren't prefect.
It's bad that KDE lets you change this default by clicking a checkbox or Ctrl+H while darlingOS makes you run "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE" in the Terminal. Let's forget for a second how much of a unintuitive clusterfuck of a command that is, you're using one app to configure another. That's always bad.

>>60146354
>I am going to pretend to be confused now
>>
>>60141637
I don't understand why people only use the touchpads when they're at the office. On the go, okay. But why at the office as well? Touchpads would never be as fast as a mouse.
>>
File: Thinkpadding.png (16KB, 108x112px) Image search: [Google]
Thinkpadding.png
16KB, 108x112px
>>60142601
>>
>>60146451
>you're using one app to configure another. That's always bad.
Using the terminal to configure shit is the way to go. I have many settings set to values that the GUI simply does not allow me to use.
>>
File: 1488844299153.jpg (102KB, 640x638px) Image search: [Google]
1488844299153.jpg
102KB, 640x638px
>>60146430
>having to bust out a terminal any time you want to mess with something below your home directories

This is what real autism looks like. Apple's decision to remove access to anything below the user's home is retarded. Removing the icon off the desktop is one thing, but completely removing it as a shortcut on the sidebar from Finder is another.
>>
>>60146451
Have you never edited a config file before?
>>
>>60146430
The solution involves googling. I essentially can't toggle hidden file visibility without an internet connection first.
>b-but 95% aren't affected
They wouldn't be affected by a fucking checkbox either. This benefits no one.

>>60146478
>I have many settings set to values that the GUI simply does not allow me to use.
This is not the case. It's a checkbox. A boolean. Macfags shit on Linux constantly for not being able to do the most remote usecase conceivable through a GUI, but the moment your toy requires a CLI train to do something as basic as toggle visibility suddenly the Terminal is man's best friend.
>>
It's actually the entry to the so-called Culture of Mac that's the real boon
>>
>>60146515
Yes, for shit you can re-run like mpv. However since Finder is somehow the File Manager and the Shell (amazing design decision there) this would make no sense.
>>
>>60146404
First of all, that's 2 submenus

Second, the root on Windows has very little to do with the root on unix and most likely the average macOS user will need to access a hidden folder within maybe twice if that

Third you're complaining about something that takes a few seconds to do, but you don't even explain why would you even need to do it at all. You're supposedly so much of a power user or some sort of sysadmin yet a few submenus and a single keyboard shortcut just hinder your entire experience. Just take a moment and think about it.
>>
>>60146549
Let's try this again, this time try not pretending not to see it:
>>60146517
>The solution involves googling. I essentially can't toggle hidden file visibility without an internet connection first.
>They wouldn't be affected by a fucking checkbox either. This benefits no one.

Being a power user is about doing hard things in a simple way, not doing simple things in a convoluted way (i.e. running a fuckhuge command just to toggle visibility).

We all know if the tables reverted, if Finder had Ctrl+H to toggle visibility and Gnome had that clusterfuck command, you'd all be crying about how bad Linux was. But since it's Apple, the damage control comes out.
>>
>>60146457
Depends.

Without gestures it's definitely slower. You have to rely on dragging shit and such.

With gestures it's a whole different deal. It's faster to swipe right with 3 fingers to snap a window to the right side of the screen than to grab it with the mouse over the corner of the screen and release it. It's faster to swipe up, instead of pressing the maximize button with the mouse. That's the thing, it's not the cursor, it's the other functions. If your mouse has dedicated buttons, it could do these actions faster. Scrolling is also quite faster, as there's acceleration involved and you can scroll a really long thread in one swipe rather than 3-4 really fast wheel scrolls. Going backwards/forward through pages though, most mice have side buttons, so the trackpad is at disadvantage.
>>
>>60146501
>not having a terminal permanently busted out

>>60146517
>I essentially can't toggle hidden file visibility without an internet connection first.
You could easily write a script to negate the issue.
>They wouldn't be affected by a fucking checkbox either. This benefits no one.
I never said otherwise, I'm just pointing out that it's irrelevant for most and for the ones that do need the option, it's fucking easy. You're just looking for things to bitch and moan about.
>This is not the case.
I never said otherwise.
>Macfags shit on Linux constantly for not being able to do the most remote usecase conceivable through a GUI, but the moment your toy requires a CLI train to do something as basic as toggle visibility suddenly the Terminal is man's best friend.
Just because I use OS X doesn't make me one of those hypocritical morons, I use the terminal as much in OS X as I do in Linux.
>>
>>60146549
>Second, the root on Windows has very little to do with the root on unix and most likely the average macOS user will need to access a hidden folder within maybe twice if that

You're generalizing and comparing those that want to use a Mac as an illiterate braindead facebook-machine user. I use a Mac to get away from the tedious bullshit I have to go through with Linux in an Enterprise environment.

>Third you're complaining about something that takes a few seconds to do, but you don't even explain why would you even need to do it at all. You're supposedly so much of a power user or some sort of sysadmin yet a few submenus and a single keyboard shortcut just hinder your entire experience. Just take a moment and think about it.

I totally want to be copying/removing SSH keys, config files for software from other machines and whatnot with a terminal all the time. Why would I just drag and drop this shit?

If you had to go through a tedious process over and over again, would you not want to make your life a little simpler by condensing the process? Yes, even as a sysadmin, if I don't have to bust out a terminal any time I want to do something and just click on something, the developers of that software are doing it right.

The point is to work smarter, not harder.
>>
>>60146736
>You could easily write a script to negate the issue.
Are you joking? Do you think this is a reasonable solution in 2017?

>You're just looking for things to bitch and moan about.
I could just as easily say you're trying to minimize the issue.

I'm someone who's on /g/ a lot and I'm sick of seeing threads saying how this piece of trash is humanity's pinnacle of OS design, how it has the best user experience. However, whenever someone makes a valid point, like "why do I have to use google and the terminal to toggle visibility", the Apple Internet Defense Squad gets deployed, and we get all sorts of damage control. All of a sudden it doesn't matter, it's actually better this way, you should the terminal anyway, etc.

Whatever dude, enjoy having to program scripts just to be able to see /etc.
>>
>>60140661
>Be a music pirate
>Use an OS from a company that makes a huge amount of money selling music
>Act surprised when they enforce the law on your sleazy ass

He's lucky they didn't arrest him.
>>
>>60139929
religiously hating Apple is just as bad if not worse than Apple fanboyism. Why does anyone care what computer someone else uses?
>>
>>60146919
>Are you joking? Do you think this is a reasonable solution in 2017?
Sure it's not the best but in the time you've spent bitching about it you could already have written like 10 of them.
>I could just as easily say you're trying to minimize the issue.
More like I'm trying to contain your outrageous exaggerations. You're acting like OS X is requiring the blood of your firstborn child or something.
>OS X is humanity's pinnacle of OS design, how it has the best user experience
They're all opinions.
>However, whenever someone makes a valid point, like "why do I have to use google and the terminal to toggle visibility", the Apple Internet Defense Squad gets deployed, and we get all sorts of damage control. All of a sudden it doesn't matter, it's actually better this way, you should the terminal anyway, etc.
It's almost as if you've encountered multiple individuals with differing views or something. What an odd fucking concept to grasp!
>>
>>60147026
No, it's not worse. Yes, it's as bad. Apple has shit products and good products. Not being able to see which are decent and which aren't is a sign of stupidity similar to that of the random slut on the street who just heard of that iPhone 14 with a different design and wants it as soon as it's being sold. I wouldn't say it's worse though, some apple fanboys can be really, really mentally challenged.
>>
>>60147026
>stop discussing technology in a technology board!

>>60147032
>More like I'm trying to contain your outrageous exaggerations. You're acting like OS X is requiring the blood of your firstborn child or something.
Read this sentence over and over until you notice the obvious irony.
>It's almost as if you've encountered multiple individuals with differing views or something. What an odd fucking concept to grasp!
Yes, it's totally a giant coincidence. A few replies above in this thread someone is complaining about how you can't change color profiles in Linux through a GUI, didn't notice you posting a reply with your just-use-the-terminal attitude. Another coincidence, right? Funny how these differing groups work, terminal people are never ever around when a thread is made mocking Linux.

You're trying to divert the issue, so let's keep this simple: can you stop pretending not to notice how I've explained 3 times that you need an internet connection to google this command? Because you keep making this about the size of the command itself, which is moronic, that's obviously not the problem, it's the fact that I need to use the internet to be able to know how to do a basic operation that every other OS does through a checkbox.
>>
>>60147032
>Sure it's not the best
That's a very odd way of saying it's the worst.
>>
>>60147164
>can you stop pretending not to notice how I've explained 3 times that you need an internet connection to google this command?
I've already pointed out that once you google it once you can throw it in a shell script.
>>
>>60147164
it's not that I want people to stop discussing technology, it's just that I hate it that there can't be one thread where someone mentions a mac without the same autist spamming "t. mactoddler" or that stupid fucking edit of the sticky. I actually want to talk about tech, not have an autistic religious war with an underage kid who thinks macs suck because they can't play every video game.
>>
>>60147032
I have to agree at least with the "having to google how to show hidden files" argument. There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't at the very least tell the user how to do this with the keyboard shortcut. It is not documented and it's an important function. The shortcut doesn't really hint at it either, it's way easier to assume Ctrl+H "hides" files while CMD+Shift+dot.... I guess the dot represents the hidden files? How is the average joe supposed to know that?

That said all OSes have their different annoyances. I found VNC to be a pain in the butt to set up on Ubuntu, and on macOS it's just going into System Preferences > Sharing and literally just checking a box. Priorities I guess. Even has drag and drop and clipboard sharing support.
>>
>>60147229
How does this solve the problem that without an internet connection you wouldn't know how to do it? Are you still pretending not to understand the problem?

>>60147274
>the same autist spamming "t. mactoddler"
Ctrl+F "mactoddler" only shows your post.
>that stupid fucking edit of the sticky.
Nowhere in this thread.

You're angry at things in your head.
>>
>>60147066
Yeah, but I feel like a HUGE majority of the Mac hate is coming from people who have never even used one. I used to hate Apple and thought that they're products were adult toys until I picked up a 2013 MBP for cheap from a friend. I surely wouldn't pay thousands of dollars for it because it's not in my budget, but god damn I felt like I have been lied to for so long. Windows fags are the sour grapes brigade, BIG TIME.
>>
>>60147276
Forget the command, there's an honest-to-God checkbox in every file manager. Except Finder, of course.
>>
>>60147307
It doesn't, you fucking moron. It's an issue when you don't have Internet, but once you do, it's no longer ever an issue again.
>>
>>60147312
My hatred of macOS comes from using daily at work.

>>60147340
>It's an issue when you don't have Internet
Glad we can agree macOS is shit.
>>
>>60147332
I have to say that "every" is wrong. I do recall having to use the keyboard shortcut on nautilus on Ubuntu, because there was a featureless version which didn't have that, or the ability to open a terminal in a specific folder.
>>
File: 1459275073606.jpg (67KB, 812x960px) Image search: [Google]
1459275073606.jpg
67KB, 812x960px
>>60139929
>>
>>60147307
I see that shit every day on this board, so it's not just in my head. I'm glad this thread has an actual discussion though, I'm surprised. It won't stay this way for long tho
>>
>>60147383
>>
>>60147386
>I'm glad this thread has an actual discussion though
Then go be mad at those other threads.

>>60147382
Nautilus definitely has it, pic relacionada.
>>
>>60147356
We never came to that agreement though.
>>
>>60147448
Yeah, I'm talking about a point in time at which it did not have that android menu.
>>
>>60147356
what do you use it for at work that you feel another OS could do better?
>>
>>60147478
>android menu
The hamburger menu's been around for decades, don't give Android credit for it.
>>
>>60147467
>I can't change basic stuff in my OS without an internet connection
>this is totally fine though
Sure. I don't care anymore, you're just doing damage control at this point.

>>60147485
Actually I use it for the thing it's worst at: backups. We do backups of a Google Drive account into 2 4TB HFS+ encrypted drives. I don't feel like typing out all the problems I've had, but it's atrocious for serious storage. We'll hopefully be moving to Linux+ext4 soon for this.
Also programming, since I get brew issues constantly.
>>
>>60147555
I can change it without an Internet connection though, I just initially needed an Internet connection to know what to change.
>damage control
No, you just don't like what I'm saying.
>>
>>60147605
>No, you just don't like what I'm saying.
This is very true: I don't like needing an internet connection to change basic things in my OS. See, we found some common ground.
>>
>>60147639
You act like OS X is unusable without the Internet when in reality it's one specific thing AND AGAIN, SINCE WRITING IT NORMALLY DIDN'T SEEM TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE, ONCE YOU LOOK IT UP YOU'RE SET AND NO LONGER NEED INTERNET TO DO IT.
>>
>>60147555
ext4 is much better, but are you seriously going to use google drive on loonix? I haven't managed to get it working fast and without showing every file that has been shared with my account instead of just my own files. I had to go look for (ironically enough) a paid application.
Thread posts: 147
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.