[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Windows Subsystem for Linux (a.k.a. Ubuntu bash on Windows 10)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: windows-subsystem-for-linux.png (6KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
windows-subsystem-for-linux.png
6KB, 600x600px
>you can't access the Ubuntu subsystem's file system from Windows shell
>thus, you can't use a text editor running in Windows to edit the files inside the Ubuntu subsystem

You can't work on Unix-y shit from a text editor running in Windows. You have to work on it from a text console-based editor like Vim running inside the WSL bash shell.

What's the point then?
>>
autistic winbabies gloating about how they have linux on Windows 10 i guess
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (1MB, 2196x1327px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
1MB, 2196x1327px
yes you can - by default all your windows drives are mounted under /mnt/<windows drive letter> and you can find the root directory on your windows drive3 under users\<user name>\appdata\local\lxss\rootfs\

you wont find network shares or be able to mount any network resources tho, which is a majopr downside for me
>>
>>60135523
>What's the point then?
Damage control, after the project astoria. Also this replaces the SFU. At least some people will use their *nix compatibility layer.
>>
>>60135672
I'm talking about the reverse.

There is a special hidden directory that stores all the files the Ubuntu image uses, but you can't access those from Windows explorer (or any Windows program) because they have special UNIX-y permission layer that Windows applications can't understand and will fuck up the Ubuntu image if you try to edit them directly.

Storing your UNIX-y project on a Windows partition and accessing them from /mnt inside Ubuntu shell is also a problem because Ubuntu shell assumes everything on an Windows partition has +x permission.
>>
>>60135523
>You have to work on it from a text console-based editor like Vim running inside the WSL bash shell.

You say that like it's a bad thing.
>>
>>60135803
It's a problem when you're a webshit and you really need a specific lint plugin that's available for Sublime but not Vim.
>>
>>60135853
then edit it in sublime and sort the permissions

its not fucking hard

hell I use sublime to edit shit over sshfs from windows all the time
>>
>>60135723
If you're using bash why would you need to access it from the windows command prompt/explorer
>>
>>60136159
Because you want to edit the files inside the Ubuntu subsystem from a Windows application like Sublime Text or VSCode.
>>
>>60135723
>Storing your UNIX-y project on a Windows partition and accessing them from /mnt inside Ubuntu shell is also a problem because Ubuntu shell assumes everything on an Windows partition has +x permission.
So, basically what happens when you mount an NTFS partition under Linux.
It's like that under Cygwin, too.

there's no particularly nice solution to this since Windows programs aren't Unix permission aware and neither is NTFS
in practice, I've just done everything on the NTFS side if I've needed Windows-side access at all and accepted the lack of permissions

this would be less of an issue if it supported X, so you could just use your favorite Linux GUI editor
>>
>>60135523
You can do gui stuff with WSL. It's a bit tricky but it can be done.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.