[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GNOME vs KDE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 10

File: GNOME vs KDE.png (43KB, 425x220px) Image search: [Google]
GNOME vs KDE.png
43KB, 425x220px
Spring 2017 Edition
Why is one better or worse than the other?
>>
>>60126755
Gnome is better in PVP because of Escape Artist
>>
they're both shit. LXDE master race
>>
File: 1493425985247.jpg (10KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1493425985247.jpg
10KB, 250x250px
>>60126755
all DEs are bad
i3wm ftw
>>
>>60126755
GNOME has never not been shit since GNOME 3. It's absolutely horrible. KDE isn't much better, but at least I can customize it a bit.

That being said, MATE master race.
>>
This question may deserve in a new thread but
Why is xorg so bad and what alternatives do we have?
>>
Both are shit
But gnome is complete garbage
It Doesn't even support high dpi scaling except for the retarded x2 factor which is shit for basically all displays
>>
kde is bugged
kys if you recommend that shit
>>
>>60127090
I can't tell if it's KDE abandoning any sort of serious Q&A or if distros just stopped caring, but every time I've tried KDE in the past two years, I've regretted it. Gnome can be pointlessly retarded sometimes but it works and with some extensions I can't find anything missing.
>>
>>60126902
Wayland is coming up pretty fast. The few problems that remain are mostly minor X compatibility issues. Ubuntu 17.10 will actually ship with Wayland by default.
>>
>>60126884

came here to post this
>>
>>60126755
I actually like gnome :^)
>>
>>60126755
tried all DEs and settled with KDE
(i heard about multi monitor bugs in kde, but i only use 2 monitors for watching movies on tv (and i dont see any bugs))
>>
>>60127342
Currently using Unity, my next DE will be undoubtedly Plasma, Gnome devs are incompetent and pedantic hacks.
>>
I used to use KDE often, now it just breaks on every distro I use and seems buggy as shit.
Gnome on Fedora isn't great but with a couple tweaks it works and stays out of the way. And I haven't liked gnome since the gnome2 days
>>
File: unityget.png (8KB, 930x81px) Image search: [Google]
unityget.png
8KB, 930x81px
gnome a shit
>>
File: uglyjews.jpg (125KB, 1024x721px) Image search: [Google]
uglyjews.jpg
125KB, 1024x721px
>>60127586
DELET
>>
>that feeling when KDE will always be too ugly to use despite being the objectively best desktop environment
>>
>>60126755
KDE because old habits they die hard.
>>
>>60128091

KDE 4 isn't that hard
>>
Gnome 3 is the best DE ever.
>>
>>60126902
Actually Wayland is pretty usuable by now. I think both GNOME and KDE use wayland by default, and there's some wayland WMs out there (notably Sway which is basically i3 for wayland).
>>
>>60128124

*old
>>
>>60128152
>Wayland is pretty usable by now
what is xwayland
>KDE uses wayland by default
nope.

There is ONE web browser which works natively on wayland and that's fucking epiphany. Wayland is nowhere near done.
>>
>>60126840

LxQt*
>>
>>60126755
KDE is shit, I used it forever but I can't stand it anymore. The KDE devs must not do any QA or testing
because all it does now is fucking segfault. At least GNOME 'werks'

and it is not that KDE doesn't work when you first install it, it is that it slowly breaks it self and I have no idea why.
the segfaults and how heavy the Qt framework are are major turn offs and everything in KDE is dependent on everything else in KDE
you can't just use ONE part of KDE you have to pull in all 3GB of dependencies(GNOME is a fat whore as well, but Qt is way worse)
>>
>>60128189
>what is xwayland
Part of what makes a wayland session usable? I didn't say Wayland was totally ready or anything like that.

>nope.
Yeah my bad. Kwin does have support for Wayland though.

>There is ONE web browser which works natively on wayland and that's fucking epiphany. Wayland is nowhere near done.
Nigga, it's not Wayland's job to make every rewrite every single applicate. That's on the web browser developers. Plenty of things do have native wayland support though (GTK, QT and so on). It's in a usuable state.
>>
>>60128203
what distribution are you using?
>>
>>60128230
>taking Red Hat's shills seriously
>>
File: 1489068100746.gif (993KB, 368x288px) Image search: [Google]
1489068100746.gif
993KB, 368x288px
>>60128228
>usable state
>>
>>60128230
The last time I used KDE and it was good was ~2008-2010 on OpenSuse
I use Fedora or Funtoo depending on the use case now and KDE(5) sucks on both

It wasn't always this bad either, KDE4 didn't segfault as much and KDE3 was rock solid it has been down hill since KDE3
>>
>>60128280
I can shitpost on the internet in Wayland, so it's usuable to me.
>>
>>60128202
Qt is made in C++
>>
>>60128071
>that feeling when KDE will always be too ugly
Are you stuck with kde4?
>>
>>60126870
>not wmii with GNUstep (Etoile)
Pleb
>>
>>60127140
>it still takes Ubongtu to get anything standardized in the FOSS world
sad!
>>
File: 1486562857066.jpg (201KB, 1023x768px) Image search: [Google]
1486562857066.jpg
201KB, 1023x768px
>>60128288
>fedora
>>60128264
oh shit you weren't kidding, it is an red hat shill
>>
>>60128320
Have you been under a rock or something? Red Hat standardizes everything now.
>>
Plasma 5 over GNOME 3.

It's not so much that the KDE development team is particularly good as it is the GNOME development team is fucking awful. Between their habit of removing popular features for cheap laughs and the hardcoded systemd(isease) dependency that only GNOME actually has, there's simply no contest - GNOME is awful, KDE (Plasma 5) wins by virtue of not being total garbage.
>>
>>60128320
Wayland was standard everywhere but Ubuntu until recently, it's just that Canonical had been completely insane up until now.
>>
>>60128343

>hardcoded systemd(isease) dependency that only GNOME actually has
wait, what?
>>
>>60128330
>can only reply with le happy merchant paranoia
>>>/pol/
>>
>>60128343
I thought you get GNOME to work with elogind.
>>
>>60128391
It's not /pol/, it's just some cancer from a foreign site who thinks he can win arguments by spamming memes.
>>
>>60128382

You can't run GNOME 3 if you use an init system other than systemd. I think the rationale was the GNOME devs were idiots who forgot init systems other than systemd and sysvinit exist. It doesn't run in OpenRC.

>>60128393
Last time I tried elogind I couldn't get it to work with anything. Then again, it's been a while, and probably a few versions since then.
>>
>>60128203
>The KDE devs must not do any QA or testing
>because all it does now is fucking segfault. At least GNOME 'werks'
5.9.5 works perfectly on my machine. I admit right now gnome is much more polished but are you guys ignoring on purpose how bad gnome 3 was up until 3.16?
>>
>>60128428

Why would it need that at all?

What does systemd do that is at all relevant to a desktop environment? I don't get why this is a dependency at all.
>>
>>60128447
It's because logind is part of systemd and DE use that to manage user sessions. GNOME devs dropped support for consolekit hence you need logind to run GNOME which means you need systemd.
>>
>>60128447
systemd has a built in system dbus and consolekit/policykit. Among other things.

It's basically the emacs of init systems, except I'll admit the init system part of systemd isn't too bad.
>>
>>60126755
Both shit. XFCE wins
>>
>>60128478
>>60128481

Christ, now I know why people hate systemd.
>>
>>60128508
You can work around it for not at least, but it's pretty annoying.
>>
>>60128481
Why can't we have nice stuff?
I just want to run OpenRC or runit with a full Wayland system.

>>60128569
How exactly do you go about working around it? I really don't want to install a bunch of stuff I won't use.
>>
>>60128928
I haven't totally finished configuring it myself, but I am fairly sure that it is possible to get it Wayland working on an OpenRC system without systemd. To be more exact, I have run weston-launch from tty as well as orbment without too many issues. Currently, I'm working on getting to Sway to work, but I'm pretty certain that it requires logind to work as a non-root user (it works as root though) despite the wiki pages suggesting otherwise.

There's a post in this gentoo thread that says he got Sway to work with elogind and sddm. So I think it should be pos
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-1039678-start-0.html

I'm not sure what distro you are using, but if you're on Arch, the Manjaro guys provide a lot of convenient packages on github. You'll mostly likely have to get rid of your consolekit stuff and run a setup with elogind unless you're satisfied with something extremely basic like orbment.
https://github.com/manjaro/packages-openrc
>>
>>60128928
Well most things are going to need dbus nowadays, and consolekit/policykit (I forget which does what) are useful for allowing users to perform certain privileged tasks (for instance, mounting USB flash drives) without entering the root password. Basically, as long as you provide the interfaces your desktop is expecting for the features you're going to use, you're fine.
>>
>>60129060
>pos
possible*

At the very list. logind appears to be working for me. loginctl lists the appropriate sessions. I'm currently compiling sddm for elogind support.
>>
>>60128353
Only Gnome an sometimes KDE have support for it.

Even then, it's rarely the default. I remeber the WAYLAND DEFAULT BY 2012 promises.
>>
>>60130190
GNOME defaults to Wayland now.
>>
>>60130417
No, it depends on the distro. It defaults on Fedora.
>>
>>60126755
Why not deepin? It looks really nice.. And DEs are about looke and customizability and deepin is good at that
>>
>>60126755
I recently switched to GNOME and I'm not going back. People were butthurt with GNOME Shell but I have quickly come to appreciate it. My workflow is still great, if not faster than with KDE. It is simply superior.
>>
>>60130463
>No, it depends on the distro.
Well obviously. On up to date distros, it defaults to Wayland.
>>
>>60126755
One is locked down and unconfigurable by design, other is buggy, unusable and slow.
I use gnome but only because vsync on nvidia GPU, if i used intel or something with normal vsync i would probably use xfce because its the last sane DE.
Still i think that looking at distros you can easily spot "working" (in gnome's retarded way of working) gnome-oriented distros and its hard to find a working kde distro.
>>
>>60130602
Right, so 1 distro so far.
>>
>>60131122
Are you just being obtuse? I don't remember which version of GNOME it was, but they switched the default session to Wayland a while ago. If you compile it, that's what you'll get by default. Obviously some distros will compile it differently to Xorg (Ubuntu GNOME is like that for now), or others are too old so you won't have that version. But the latest GNOME is on Wayland. Fedora uses it (which is basically the official GNOME distory anyway) and so does Arch.
>>
>>60131218
So 2/Distrowatch.

Everyone uses X11 unless they have the two you listed.
>>
>>60131266
If you compile GNOME right now, you'll get wayland.
>>
File: 1368571408518.png (972KB, 641x4513px)
1368571408518.png
972KB, 641x4513px
>>60131290
Wayland is not part of GNOME's sorucecode. I run Gnome on Gentoo and unless you explicity include it, it's not a hard dependency by any means.

Same if you use BSD or other *NIX. You sound like Arch kiddie who never compiled Gnome on his own and is just talking out of his ass. Gnome does not require or come with wayland included on 99% of systems nor in the source.
>>
>>60131347
>Wayland is not part of GNOME's sorucecode.
That's not what I said. I said that compiling the GNOME DE will default to a Wayland session.
>>
File: krunner.png (49KB, 534x427px) Image search: [Google]
krunner.png
49KB, 534x427px
Gnome doesn't have krunner, which means it is shit and I won't use it.
>>
>>60130651
>One is locked down and unconfigurable by design
If anything this is a good thing. All GNOME desktops look the same and work consistently. In a professional environment you don't want to have to deal with riced desktops, you want to be able to sit down at any GNOME workstation and know your way around.
>>
>>60131605

the normal Gnome Shell do almost the same stuff
>>
>>60131638
Some sane customization does not hurt. for example changing title bars, disabling them or things like that would be useful for many people with laptop screens. Cinnamon, mate and xfce have done this much better, and they still look consistent around other distros.
>>
>>60131638
Being locked down is not a good thing if you break compatibility with themes every release. Its nice if you stay sane but gnome devs are not since the release of 3.XX
>>
can someone list short opinions on all the DE's they've tried
don't know which to choose
>>
KDE since I am an furry.
>>
I'm on KDE myself. I know GNOME is supposed to be better but you know what they say: old habits die hard.
>>
File: 1492789933307.png (89KB, 363x475px) Image search: [Google]
1492789933307.png
89KB, 363x475px
If both are trash, what to use?
>>
>>60133135
gnome: pretty good out of the box, looks clean enough, used to be missing a lot of features but the new versions have everything i could want in a de

everything else: typical fragmented glued together buggy hobby garbage
>>
File: screenFetch-2017-04-29_20-29-44.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
screenFetch-2017-04-29_20-29-44.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>60126755
Plasma 5 is fantastic
all the comfy of MATE with the features of a modern DE
>>
>>60134745

xfce
>>
>>60126785
fpbp
>>
>>60126755
KDE is superior in terms of productivity
>runner
>global shortcuts
>kwin shortcuts
>custom shortcuts
>kate-sessions
>widgets like quicklaunch, notes
>best wacom support

KDE is superior in terms of ricing
>svg icons and hi-dpi
>font faces can easily be customized
>font-hinting
>qtcurve and gtk2 qtcurve
>complete customization
>can even write your very own themes
>kde-look, hot stuff, customization at your fingertips

misc
>dolphin>all
>kde-connect
>kmix
>free of ((red hat)) shilling
>good community
>cute mascots (not even furry)

cons
>C++
>qt-quick

Gnome cons
>fat buttons for fat people
>foot logo, probably made by footfag/fetishist
>wayland session is unusable with xf86-wacom
>touchpad feels like waltzing on ice, no amount of configuration can fix it
>unproductive requires mouseclick and touch for anything
>laggy gnome shell
>does gnome community even exist? more like red hat decides for anything
>so many red hat shills

>>>60128288
>using fedora
>expecting fedora/kde to not segfault
enjoying your telemetry testing distro yet?
I tested fedora kde spin once and guess what? it broke after a fresh install that I couldn't even shut it down. Guess what happened next? It broke, even fallback kernel is broken

>>60130190
KDE supported wayland even before they Gnome/wayland was released.
KaOS did it first and it was great although it's terrible because you can't drag-and-drop from an X programs to Wayland programs (that's wayland's problem though not KaOS). That was back when kde was still buggy as hell. I think KaOS is much more better now.
>>
>>60131638

> If anything this is a good thing. All GNOME desktops look the same and work consistently

why do lincucks shit on Apple again?
>>
>>60134745
Cinnamon, it just werks
>>
>>60139320
Is it worth using in other distros?
>>
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha.
>>
Plasma 5 is for me the best DE. It begins by Okular, the PDF reader and stops by Dolphin, which is in my eyes the best file manager available on linux. I used Gnome for years but for some reason i didn't like it that much as Plasma, even though Gnome is a amazing DE.

The only annoying parts about Plasma are the GTK-only applications like Thunderbird and Firefox.

The best part of all DEs is that we have a choice :)!
Thread posts: 88
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.