[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There is any way to keep using online XP in safe ways? I have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 2

There is any way to keep using online XP in safe ways?

I have a 512mb ram machine I want to use as a chink cartoon/lurking/VN/2D games machine and loonix can't fill 2/4 of that tasks and 512 is too low for win 7

>inb4 how to chink cartuns with shit machine

The computer itself is one of those pre c2d dual core with some gts gpu so it CAN play 1080p video just fine

What yhe fuck is XP posready?

Can I even use a updated browser?
>>
>>60123908
Stop being a poorfag and work, better use creditcard if you cant pay it in cash.

Good PC cost around $800 anyway.
Even someone like my who didnt finish college can get that kind of money with just 2 hours of work every weekday for a month.
>>
>>60123908
install xubuntu

/thread
>>
>>60123908
This is one of the few times that you actually should just install Linux.
>>
>>60123983
this
/thread
>>
>>60123908
post more lulu
>>
>>60123983
My bad, I didn't read your whole post. Do VNs not work in wine?
>>
>>60123908
Don't store your private datas on that PC and everything would be fine.
>>
>>60124241
Manjaro User here, works fine on my Parts. Most of them dont use much of Direct X so they just work without much Tweaking.
>>
>>60123908
Install Linux. What game doesn't it support that you'd like to play? And you can definitely watch cartoons and lurk.
Linux Lite should do the trick.

If you really want XP then;
1. Enable your router and system firewall
2. Add StevenBlackHosts as your hosts file. It would be better if you could use a PiHole or import the domains into your router. This should restrict your PC from connecting to malware domains.
3. Install uBlock Origin on your Firefox (don't use IE, obviously). Make sure you add malware hosts to it and update host files every week.
4. Install XPY and XPAntiSpy. These will change some default settings and should remove some vulnerabilities (dump files, page files, remote desktops)
5. Don't use anything that comes with XP. All software there is outdated. It's better if you use anything more recent, even if it's also discontinued.
6. You may want to install DropMyRights or use a guest account after you've set up your PC. This is completely optional though.
7. If XPAntiSpy didn't already disable USB autorun, disable it.
8. Never install adobe flash or java. Flash is a HUGE security hole on any OS as it's always been very vulnerable and is now outdated when HTML5 exists. If you actually play flash games I recommend putting flash player in a sandbox.
9. And obviously, use the latest version of XP.

If you'll never enter any personal info you'll be 100% safe even with malware on your PC.
>>
>>60123908
POSReady 2009 is a version of XP just like Windows 7 Starter, Ultimate etc.
>>
>>60124374
Kay, I will mostly use it for nyaa/4chin in the online anyways

>>60123954
Kill yourself, subhuman
>>
Also the machine is for another house purposes, I will noy even use my mail there
>>
>>60123908
Unless you're a retarded normie, it's safe.
>>
>>60123908
Even with XP I would try to get some RAM upgrades if it is possible to do cheaply/from dumpster.
>>
>>60123964
>he fell for the xubuntu meme
name 1 (one) reason to use xububtu instead of arch and xfce, I'll wait
>>
>>60124905
I tried since I have a little e6700 server using DDR2 too but most of retards want 20€ for ddr2 ram and might even be AMD-only ram
>>
>>60123908
don't forward any ports, disable javascript, don't install flash/java/etc, do not connect to wifi
that's like 99% of it

>Can I even use a updated browser?
for security's sake, probably
with 512mb and the "modern web"? probably not, even phones have 4 times that now
>>
>>60124982
It just werks
>>
>>60125357
Chromium and fireshit stopped working on XP so that means no web browser
>>
>>60123908
>pre c2d dual core with some gts gpu so it CAN play 1080p video just fine
HOW?
I struggle to play 1080p with second gen Core i5?
>>
>>60124241
>Do VNs not work in wine?
Depends, sometimes it works but sometimes it won't.
Those that don't are mostly pre-patched or require certain component, which is annoying. Or simply refuse to run no matter what.
WineHQ appDB, doesn't help either.
>>60124547
Really I have issue with running a certain game on manjaro, would you mind testing it?
>>
>>60124778
>If XPAntiSpy didn't already disable USB autorun, disable it.
Yet malware still get transfered through USB flash drive.
How is that possible?
>>
>>60123908
Very interested in this.
I have an old water jet cutting machine, with drivers for only WinXP.
Many of my customers, have infected flash drives with different malware.
Are there any tips on how to secure it?
>>
>>60124982
Arch is terrible and the only reason to use it is if you're a hobbyist looking to kill time.
>>
why not just install GNU/Linux distro and use Virtualbox to virtualize the XP
>>
>>60126968
With 512 MB of RAM?
>>
>>60123908
Seamonkey and linux
Also for fucks sake just get a used thinkpad
>>
>>60127032
Yes. That should be enough. You should also look for a torrent called TinyXP which is even leaner.
>>
>>60127162
>TinyXP by eXPerince
That thing is legit?
>>
>>60127223
Yes. Tiny7 is real too if you're interested.
>>
>>60127341
This
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/4254053/MicroXP_v0.82_-_eXPerience
And this
https://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5039629/Windows_Tiny7_Unattended_Activated_CD_%28x86%29_-_eXPerience
>>
>>60123908
Artists dont understand that big tits shorten the length of visible torso so we get these wonky abnormally long torsos
>>
>>60126707
>I struggle to play 1080p with second gen Core i5?
something is seriously wrong with your setup

>>60126802
setup a second machine to act as a filter
for example, setup an sbc so you plug a flash drive into that, then have a script do something like;
. mount and identify files relevant to the jet cutter
2. scan those for viruses
3. pass them on to the jet cutter machine, via a network share

or perhaps run XP in a VM with linux as the host, checking files before handing then over to the VM. you can use windows drivers within VM's, of course, just pass through the hardware used to connect to the jet cutting hardware (non-vga passthrough is pretty easy)
>>
>>60128237
>something is seriously wrong with your setup
No external GPU, so I use Intel 3000HD.
It's predictable to get high temps when running 1080p BD files.
>>
>>60123908
I found 4GB or DDR2 for $20 in the internet the other week with more available too. Step it up OP.
>>
>>60128237
>setup a second machine to act as a filter
I do that with my phone since it support OTG.
However yesterday I discovered that some of the files that were hidden on the USB flash drive by the malware didn't appear when browsing the USB flash drive.

>you can use windows drivers within VM's
How is that possible?
I thought it would need the host to recognize the hardware.
>>
>>60128294
the HD3000 is from 2011
my old athlon 64 box i got in 2006, with a 2005 chipset, had an integrated nvidia 6150, capable of hardware decoding 1080p video
>>
>>60128333
>I thought it would need the host to recognize the hardware.
not if you pass through the device, the method depends on what kind of interface it is (pci? usb? serial?) but one way or another, you should be able to pass it through, such that the windows in the VM has access to the hardware as if it was running out of the VM, and you can use the same driver
>>
>>60128294
I had T420 with shit-tier i5 and HD 3000, and it barely broke 20% CPU usage even on retardedly bloated use cases like Twitch with video quality at source. With MPC-HC, CPU usage was around 5%. Your setup is fucked.
>>
File: f5f6c70ccaef91139a9d33e0614a58a7.jpg (493KB, 780x1040px) Image search: [Google]
f5f6c70ccaef91139a9d33e0614a58a7.jpg
493KB, 780x1040px
How do malware infect your machine through USB flash drive in the first place if you disable autorun?
>>
>>60128596
i'd imagine other vectors not specific to usb drives are used, that is, some file on the drive is infected, and the user opens it (or does whatever to it that triggers the malware)
there are also some things can can cause files to be read without the user manually "opening" them, like virus scanners, thumbnailers, backup tools, etc
>>
>>60128333
another nice thing about a VM, come to think of it, is snapshots
i'd imagine it's likely the configuration of the machine as a whole doesn't change much, if at all, and so it'd be little trouble to snapshot the VM once it's setup, and when it changes, so if something goes wrong, you can restore it in minutes
>>
>>60128596
Just like >>60128789 said.
The common method nowadays is something like this...
This the content of the un-infected USB flash drive
foo.jpg
/bar

What the malware do is hide those files and change it to system and create shortcuts for those files with the same icons.
foo.jpg.lnk
bar.lnk
/bar [hidden]
foo.jpg [hidden]
malware.vbs [hidden]

When you try to open what you assume are the files in fact you're running the malware then it would open your files.
>>
>>60128940
So if you run with known file extensions visible, you're safe, presuming you have the knowledge and stability to not click on things as soon as possible.
>>
>>60128940
Fuck all you foobar example fags. Sick of seeing it on every stack overflow answer.
>>
>>60126491
There's a version of Palemoon from last year that runs on XP. Development was discontinued but that's the best thing to get.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.