[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we all agree that L4 is superior to every other kernel family?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Monolithic kernels are bloatware by design.
>>
>>60123654
Microkernels are lower performance by design.
>>
>>60123654
All a microkernel does is unnecessarily move kernel subsystems to userspace and add extra context switch overhead and complexity.

Microkernels are garbage and offer no advantage at all. Monolithic is simpler and superior.
>>
>>60123696
> For L4Linux, the AIM benchmarks report a maximum throughput which is only 5% lower than that of native Linux.

Also, if you're running X11, you can't talk shit about performance.

And for all computers except supercomputers and perhaps some severely limited embedded systems, reliability is more important than performance.

>>60123722
> Unnecessarily
Have you ever written a project over 10 kloc?

Over 50% of Linux crashes are bugs in the drivers. In a microkernel, that wouldn't happen.
>>
>>60123746
>In a microkernel, that wouldn't happen.
Yeah instead the device driver server would crash and fuck the system anyway because lol can't access disk/gpu/whatever anymore.
Microkernels solve nothing.

>inb4 it'll just restart the server
Yeah, and then it'll crash again because restarting it doesn't magically fix the source of the problem.
Why the FUCK would you want to keep the system running after such a thing?
Fuck off. Crashing the whole system is the correct way to go about it, since it is a fatal error; moving it to userspace doesn't make it any less fatal when it's still just as important to the system as in a monolithic kernel.
>>
>>60123786
>Yeah instead the device driver server would crash and fuck the system anyway because lol can't access disk/gpu/whatever anymore.
I'd expect it to be able to do something more like this. Windows even does it with a kernel mode driver, though it's less reliable in doing it than it could with a properly isolated graphics driver.

Then again, putting the GPU driver in a user process would nerf performance, probably a good deal more than the 5% >>60123746 claims for L4Linux.
>>
>>60123786
>Crashing the whole system is the correct way to go about it, since it is a fatal error; moving it to userspace doesn't make it any less fatal when it's still just as important to the system as in a monolithic kernel.

> Plugin camera
> OS crashes
> This is how it should be!

Also, what is server?
>>
>microkernel is the best! it has never worked and every implementation of it is shitty but it's just so great
>>
>>60123879
That's what a Windows user would say about Linux.
>>
>>60123829
>I'd expect it to be able to do something more like this
Read the rest of my post. That's a shitty way of handling it.

>>60123855
Because degrading performance and increasing complexity for the entire system just for a webcam is a great idea isn't it?
Webcams are simple enough that their drivers would be trivial enough for them to not have many bugs at all. Not fatal bugs anyway.
Simply not worth it.
>>
>>60123910
> Increasing complexity

False. Microkernel is all about simplicity and modularity, one tool does one job and does it good (like description of functions in Linux style guide).

It reduces the complexity, increases maintainability and reliability.

Any performance issues could be mitigated by modern hardware and excellent code (and it's possible to write excellent code for microkernels, because they're so small).
>>
>Read the rest of my post. That's a shitty way of handling it.
The best would be for it not to crash. But if it's going to crash, I'd much rather it at least recover for long enough to save work and reboot.

>Because degrading performance and increasing complexity for the entire system just for a webcam is a great idea isn't it?
>Webcams are simple enough that their drivers would be trivial enough for them to not have many bugs at all. Not fatal bugs anyway.
>Simply not worth it.
I don't like the performance hit and am inclined to stick with better performance. Crashes are rare. But couldn't a hybrid implementation be done? Like, put things that are vital, need performance, or basically never crash -- like the filesystem, GPU or kernel crypto functions -- in kernel mode for performance and simplicity. Then isolate crap like USB webcam drivers in processes.
>>
>>60123952
I think what you want is called a Hybrid kernel.

Linus doesn't like the term and calls it marketing.
>>
>>60123937
Microkernels in PythonScript when?
>>
>>60124240
My microkernel will be in C, and scripting will be in Lua, and I will take all the drivers from Linux, just like they took them from BSD
>>
>>60124281
>I will take all the drivers from Linux,
The linux/*BSD drivers (except from NetBSD in some occasions) don't run in the userspace. Good luck with that
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.