[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

F.C.C. Chairman Pushes Sweeping Changes to Net Neutrality Rules

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 24

File: netneutrality.jpg (86KB, 768x574px) Image search: [Google]
netneutrality.jpg
86KB, 768x574px
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/technology/net-neutrality.html?_r=0
>The plan is Mr. Pai’s most forceful action in his race to roll back rules that govern telecommunications, cable and broadcasting companies, which he says are harmful to business. But he is certain to face a contentious battle with the consumers and tech companies that rallied around the existing rules, which are meant to prevent broadband providers like AT&T and Comcast from giving special treatment to any streaming videos, news sites and other content.

>“Two years ago, I warned that we were making a serious mistake,” Mr. Pai said at the Newseum in Washington, where he laid out the plan in a speech. “It’s basic economics. The more heavily you regulate something, the less of it you’re likely to get.”

>His plan, though still vague on the details, is a sharp change from the approach taken by the last F.C.C. administration, which approved rules governing a concept known as net neutrality in 2015. The rules were intended to ensure an open internet, meaning that no content could be blocked by broadband providers and that the internet would not be divided into pay-to-play fast lanes for internet and media companies that can afford it and slow lanes for everyone else.

Is this something to be worried about?
>>
>>60117215
Yes and no.
>>
>>60117240
Could you elaborate?
>>
Yes.

S.J. Res 34 was the precursor to this. All the pieces are slowly coming together.
>>
When will poorfags learn?
>use more water
pay more
>use more electricity
pay more
>use more internet
pay more

Its not hard.
>>
>>60117319
>>use more internet
>pay more
Except that's not what it's about. You are to stupid to function, pls go
>>
File: a world without net neutrality.jpg (299KB, 636x1415px) Image search: [Google]
a world without net neutrality.jpg
299KB, 636x1415px
>>60117319
>listen at louder volume
pay more
>breathe more oxygen
pay more
>think of more stuff
pay more

I'm surprised those in the States haven't tried to charge people for oxygen yet with the way it is going. Why anyone would support this disaster is beyond me. Pic related may be old now, but it's your (imminent) future.
>>
>>60117319

>bandwidth costs the same as processing waste water and providing running water

Neck yourself, brainlet.
>>
>>60117446
>all that bullshit leftist propaganda...
kys
>>
>>60117215
>Jew York Times
into the trash
>>
>>60117273
>Yes
This is bad
>No
The net neutrality rules that Obama made were not in effect yet so it's just the same as before.
>>
>>60117519
>being pro net neutrality is leftism
You retards are even worse than SJWs.
>>
>>60117215
BA-BA-BOOEY.
>>
>>60117519
I can't wait for this to happen just so retards like you can come here and complain on /g/ about how you wish you'd known better.
>>
No.

Net Neutrality isn't even an actual thing.

Also NN doesn't apply to Mobile Providers fro some reason, yet you don't see them blocking websites.
>>
>>60117476

It does.

See fucking AWS pricing.
>>
>>60118356
People were told Trump supporters would be crying left and right if he actually won and look what's happening. He's successful af already.

This only strengthens freedom and removes existing government oppression.
>>
>>60118392
>This only strengthens freedom and removes existing government oppression.

Lol no - this is exactly what Mark Cuban and his ilk would have you believe and you have fallen for it. Have fun with your replacement cable TV internet price-plan.
>>
>>60118369
>Also NN doesn't apply to Mobile Providers fro some reason, yet you don't see them blocking websites.

It's not about "blocking websites". Try use your mobile provider to stream movies over netflix or whatever every day of the week. Yeah, good luck - hope you have deeeeeep pockets, that is if they don't cancel your subscription.
>>
>>60118435
If this is what the market demands then so be it. Better than a government mandated price limit or other bullshit like this
>>
>>60118494
>If this is what the market demands then so be it. Better than a government mandated price limit or other bullshit like this

I have been watching this from afar going on in the US and it has been fascinating watching it progress from, "don't kill a neutral internet that gave birth to all the pioneering websites we all love" to vultures that manufactured a bogeyman story of, "ebil gubmint is coming to regulate errything! be afraid! be afraid! you know regulations must be bad!".

It's laughable how easy it is to convince people of that which is against their interests.
>>
>>60118369
They do enhance services and if you are competing against them you have an unfair disadvantage. Its bad for the free market.

For example, Tmobile had a deal going where Netflix traffic wouldnt count against subscribers data cap but every other service does. Now imagine you are running Underdog Netflix Competitor Inc. You have better programming, better customer service, better technology, and cheaper rates. Your service is better in every possible way. However, you will be at a significant disadvantage with Tmobile subscribers because your service actually costs prohibitively more to them. Now imagine the same effect exploded across every ISP and every online service industry.

Eliminating net neutrality lets large companies directly pay ISPs to disadvantage their competitors WITHOUT having to actually innovate or improve their service. Its bad for consumers, bad for entrepeneurs, bad for innovators. Its good for large companies with deep pockets - they can simply pay to stay on top.
>>
File: 1445113447089.jpg (48KB, 422x422px) Image search: [Google]
1445113447089.jpg
48KB, 422x422px
>>60117215
This guy seems to be operating under the presumption that there is a cozy telco job waiting for him, his employer will be impeached sooner than later, and he can't wait for tomorrow.
>>
>>60118494
>If this is what the market demands
The "Market" isn't demanding anything, you shit-huffer. The Corporate Jews are the ones demanding things. With the death of television looming neare and nearer, these fucks are basically trying to strong arm the internet away from users and claim it as a product of theirs.
>>
>>60118599
>Eliminating net neutrality lets large companies directly pay ISPs to disadvantage their competitors WITHOUT having to actually innovate or improve their service. Its bad for consumers, bad for entrepeneurs, bad for innovators. Its good for large companies with deep pockets - they can simply pay to stay on top.

This^

Morons that still fail to grasp this will think killing neutrality is somehow good just because they were told so by those that profit from a non-free internet.
>>
>>60118392
>People were told Trump supporters would be crying left and right if he actually won and look what's happening.

I know quite a few that thought he was some kind of mastermind and they were pretty surprised to see that he really is as dumb and impulsive as he acts.

Although, I live in a populated area. If you live out in the sticks you probably wont see the effects and will believe what you want because reality wont directly impact you. Nothing anyone can do about that I guess.
>>
>>60118687
He is a clown, yes, but by and large still the better choice
>>
(((PAI AJIT)))
>>
>>60118706
What are you basing that on? So many of the bullshit arguments against his opponent are literally coming true with him. He is profiting directly from his position, members of his cabinet are under investigation for criminal behavior, he is apparently retarded (he watches TV all day and demands that his national security briefings include fewer words and more pictures), he is literally hiring his direct family members, hired more lobbyists directly into the federal government that anyone ever, the list goes on and on.

As much as people just generally hate Hillary Clintons ugly face, she was legitimately qualified for the position and would never have come close to the level of profiteering and bullshit we are currently seeing.
>>
>>60118741
He's like /g/'s nemesis par excellence
>>
>>60118794
they are both corrupt
>>
>>60117875
Spotted the SJW
>>
>>60118706
There was a choice before the election. He didn't have to be the republican candidate.
>>
>>60119037
This.
Only retards believe in MUH GOD EMPEROR unironically, but he was the better choice by far if only for the fact that he's being held accountable (arguably more so than he deserves by certain factions) and given Shillary's history do you really think she'd ever be held accountable for anything?
>>
>>60118794
>this is what the anti white left actually believes
You people are so stupid
>>
>>60118599
>For example, Tmobile had a deal going where Netflix traffic wouldnt count against subscribers data cap but every other service does
Europe's net neutrality rules are so fucked, this is still possible. "All packets need to be treated equal". The only thing they have to do is slow down Netflix as well if the user has reached their data cap. But they can let Netflix traffic not count towards the data cap. Giving them a significant advantage over potential new competitors; exactly what net neutrality was supposed to prevent.
>>
This is actually a good thing.

>Number one there was no problem to solve, the internet wasn’t broken in 2015. In that situation, it doesn’t seem me that preemptive market-wide regulation is necessary. Number two, even if there was a problem, this wasn’t the right solution to adopt. These Title II regulations were inspired during the Great Depression to regulate Ma Bell which was a telephone monopoly. And the broadband market we have is very different from the telephone market of 1934. So, it seems to me that if you have 4,462 internet service providers and if a few of them are behaving in a way that is anticompetitive or otherwise bad for consumer welfare then you take targeted action to deal with that. You don’t declare the entire market anticompetitive and treat everyone as if they are a monopolist.

>Going forward we are going to propose eliminating that Title II classification and figure out the right way forward. The bottom line is, everyone agrees on the principles of a free and open internet what we disagree with is how many regulations are needed to preserve the internet.

This is bad why?
>>
The reason the monopolies liked net neutrality is that the regulatory compliance killed upstart disruptive competitors. It's the same reason Amazon supports the internet sales tax.
>>
>>60117875
Bbbut muh team
>>
>>60118456
I live in Canada and I literally do this all the time.
>>
>a pajeet ruins America's internet
Pure Pottery
>>
>>60118794
>t. cuck
>>
Just deregulate local monopolies for fuck sakes.

Why is it taking so long to allow this to happen?

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/we-need-to-stop-focusing-on-just-cable-companies-and-blame-local-government-for-dismal-broadband-competition/
>>
>>60119606
because there are some people who unironically believe shit like >>60117446
>>
>>60119630
He's going to fix the internet.

There's going to be more options and more ISPs in the next few years.
>>
Internet speeds are going to dramatically increase in the next 20 years.

Who gives a shit about any of this stuff now?

Also deregulate local monopolies.
DO IT NOW
>>
>>60118741
Well Trump is a Zionist
>>
>>60119645
>free market
Well, with Ashit Pai in place, this is where we will end up sooner than later, and if the zero rating antics mean nothing to you, then you are just being willfully blind.
>>
>>60119757
I guess, maybe if you keep up the baseless fear mongering eventually I'll open my eyes!
>>
>>60119757
>this is where we will end up sooner than later
We didn't have net neutrality for decades and internet speeds and access increased ginormously.

what in the world are you talking about? why would they magically restrict access and slow down speeds now?
>>
>>60119789
I bet you will argue that ISPs run in a free market environment as well, right?

>>60119813
Mainly because of gov't subsidizes like UFT or do you want to sit there and pretend gov't money doesn't count?
>>
>>60119829
>Mainly because of gov't subsidizes
Not really.
ISPs built the infrastructure through the profits they got from providing internet/cable connections.

They got a little money from the government, yes.
You know what would have helped them far better than a few government subsidies?

Giving them gigantic tax cuts and cutting government spending so the price of capital goods decreases. They would have been able to provide more infrastructure if copper and fiber was cheaper.

I mean look at this shit, this is the price of copper, in a free market, the price would constantly come down. Thanks to government/federal reserve/government spending the price has stagnated and then increased like crazy.
>>
File: 1471734181272.jpg (81KB, 419x480px) Image search: [Google]
1471734181272.jpg
81KB, 419x480px
>>60119653
>There's going to be more options and more ISPs in the next few years
>>
>>60119907
>mad at facts
ayy lmao
>>
>>60119829

Your fear mongering picture is like 9 years old.

Also you don't seem to understand that TV packages exist because the media companies charge the cable companies a ton of money to provide their channels. Or did you actually believe the media companies provided content for free?
>>
File: 1479520521949.jpg (417KB, 1438x2072px) Image search: [Google]
1479520521949.jpg
417KB, 1438x2072px
>PAJEETED
>>
>>60119896
>rollouts have been so ambitious they had to fight municipal rollouts tooth and nail
If it wasn't for cities bullying ISPs to do proper rollouts, they would only service the rich areas and leave everyone else to rot

>>60119930
They don't have to pay up.
>>
File: copper.png (40KB, 914x424px) Image search: [Google]
copper.png
40KB, 914x424px
>>60119896
>>60119829
Forgot picture.
>>
>>60119958
>If it wasn't for cities bullying ISPs to do proper rollouts, they would only service the rich areas and leave everyone else to rot
Then deregulate local monopolies.
That seems to be the main problem here.

>>60119936
They're right though.
Why do you want mercury filled lightbulbs that make everything look like shit?
>>
>>60117446
You know, with or without net neutrality this would have been attempted. Even if NN was passed, they would have websites they don't approve of just not connect.
>>
>>60119990
>they would have websites they don't approve of just not connect.
>people actually think this

Why haven't they done it already?
>>
I live in Canada and there are actually plenty of ISPs to choose from.

I pay 45 a month from teksavvy for high speed internet and have no problems.
>>
>>60119958
>They don't have to pay up.

And when they don't they lose a ton of subscribers. See Dish.

Also your fear mongering image makes no sense and I'm still trying to find out why leftist keep posting it.
>>
>>60120002
There was a controversy of comcast a while back of concast intentionally slowing down and blocking rival sites.
>>
>>60120010

USA has better internet than Canada.

Does any ISP in Canada even provide Gigabit Internet?? We have a ton here in the US.
>>
>>60120016
FUD started by fake news to get clicks.
>>
>>60119971
>Then deregulate local monopolies.
>>just let anyone fuck with the poles
I know you mean well anon, but that isn't going to happen in a realistic case. Modern infrastructure deployment doesn't happen without municipal gov't standards and oversight.
>>
>>60117319
>use 700 gallons of water
>pay for 700 gallons of water
>use 800 gallons of water
>pay for 800 gallons of water

>use 5000kw/h
>pay for 5000kw/h
>use 6000kw/h
>pay for 6000kw/h

>use 3gb
>pay for 150gb
>use 151gb
>pay for 300gb
something doesn't add up
>>
>>60120031
>Does any ISP in Canada even provide Gigabit Internet?
Yes plenty.

All from FREE MARKET providers.
http://business.financialpost.com/fp-tech-desk/1-billion-fibre-optic-investment-will-make-edmonton-canadas-first-gigabit-society-telus-corp-says

I'm pretty sure our country has more a free market in ISPs.

We don't even have net neutrality either.
>>
>>60120046
>>>just let anyone fuck with the poles
Yes.
What's the fucking problem?
At long as you're a qualified company that knows what you're doing. It's not like they're going to let any average joe do it.

>baww I don't want competition.
Man you people are luddites.
>>
>>60120046

https://www.wired.com/2013/07/we-need-to-stop-focusing-on-just-cable-companies-and-blame-local-government-for-dismal-broadband-competition/
>>
File: IMG_0626.jpg (103KB, 475x372px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0626.jpg
103KB, 475x372px
Net neutrality is a meme.
There is Microsoft and AT&T.

Outside of that in the us there is no other choice. They are already buying up ALL of your "free market" choices.

Any change to this already monolithic system is very welcome at this point.
>>
>>60120101
>At long as you're a qualified company that knows what you're doing
Tell me how well that went for Google and their last rollout.

Fuck with a local power or gas company's infrastructure and they will murder you, your family, and your doggo in your sleep before you even realize what you did wrong.
>>
File: Nye.png (659KB, 900x672px) Image search: [Google]
Nye.png
659KB, 900x672px
>>60120153

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rayxew89NyE
>>
>>60120193
Nye, what the fuck happened to you? I thought you were cool in the 90s and now look at you.
>>
>>60120177
>Fuck with a local power or gas company's infrastructure and they will murder you, your family, and your doggo in your sleep before you even realize what you did wrong.
Then that's a problem and not the free market.
We want a free market where companies like google can compete with these companies.

Fuck local monopolies.
>>
>>60120203
>Fuck local monopolies.
And how do you get rid of local monopolies when some cities make laws that only one ISP is allowed?
>>
>>60120203

>We want a free market where companies like google can compete with these companies.

They already tried and failed.

They didn't even have to bother with free market:

In Kansas City and Austin, local governments wanted Google Fiber more than they wanted kickbacks. So they expedited the permitting process, gave Google rights-of-way access for little to no cost, and allowed Google to build-out selectively — i.e., in neighborhoods where consumers actually expressed demand.
>>
>>60120251

Whereas free market Comcast, TWC, ATT, etc have to pay big costs for rights of way, and had to provide ALL neighborhoods, not just the rich ones.
>>
>>60120217
>And how do you get rid of local monopolies when some cities make laws that only one ISP is allowed?
That's exactly what I'm saying
CHANGE THE LAWS

That's basically the main reason why there is stagnation.

>>60120251
>They already tried and failed.
Because of government control and regulation.
I said I want a free market where these companies are allowed to come in and compete.

>>60120274
Then it should be a level playing field with no special rules.
>>
>>60120202
I've spent some time analyzing him/his career so far and stories of people who interacted with him

I'm pretty sure he absolutely doesn't agree about the gender shit, what he cares about is the paycheck and the reputation, he's pissed he only got known as the kids show guy and he's been sorta happy he's gotten more publicity as of late, but he's still an angry guy who just wants more. Not a fucking single drop of morality in that fuck.
>>
>>60120285
>Because of government control and regulation.
>I said I want a free market where these companies are allowed to come in and compete.

Google Fiber was given a red carpet and still failed.
>>
>>60120472
That wasn't because of the free market.
>>
>>60120472
how did they fail?
they're successful in many markets and they are growing
>>
Tired of winning yet, boys?
>>
>>60120529
Go away comcast shill.
>>
>>60120539
how do you know comcast wants this?
>>
>>60117319

We already pay for Internet, shill. Greater bandwidth = higher fees. It's how it has always been.

Why don't you explain why we should pay twice for less service?
>>
>>60120750

You're the one who wants to classify the internet as a utility. With utilities you pay as you use.

I don't want to pay per GB as you are are suggesting.
>>
I'm OK with giving telecoms unlimited power over my connection to the internet. Yes, I'm okay with tiered internet service. To be honest, the huge gripe I have with net neutrality is that I can't kick the poorshits out of the areas I browse. I think to myself, "wow /g/ would be great if poorshits couldn't make a dozen threads espousing the virtues of buying used Thinkpads". I mean, what the actual fuck, buying something USED? My gated community evicts people from their homes, and forces them to sell if they try to pull some shit like a GARAGE SALE. Anyone else disturbed by the amount of poorshits bringing us all down? There would be superior threads on this board because all the poorshits wouldn't be able to plague us with their poorthink.
>>
>>60120917

Furthermore, I think the internet should become a gated community. A credit check, or, no, even better! I think an income verification process should gatekeep people out of the internet. I don't think poorshits really need the internet for their job at McDonalds, right? They're slowing it down for everyone else by endlessly downloading terabytes of child porn/"anime".
>>
>>60118389

>Implying AWS rental servers are the same as raw end users bandwidth

I rent a VPS for $80/Year with 5tb/mo which is more than most people would ever use
>>
>>60121245
If bandwidth was really free then you wouldn't have a 5tb/mo limit.
>>
>>60120917
>>60120952
>>
>>60121334

5TB is a arbitrary number the company pays for a Teir 1 connection in the neighborhood of 10Gig and it dosent matter how much they ram though that pipe it could be 10Gig all day all the time it costs the same they just put a cap at a generous 5tb to prevent abuse
>>
>>60121395
There would be no need to prevent abuse if transit was truly free.
>>
Whats preventing end users from buying a device that mesh networks to their neighbors and everyone shares their shitty connections in a pool
>>
>Is this something to be worried about?
It's just another step towards Oligarchal Collectivism. Nothing substantial sadly.
>>
>>60121406

If one asshole is saturating their entire up or downlink the other customers using their VPS's for legitimate site hosting or file storage are going to get the shaft

This was simply a example of how $80 can buy 60tb/year of data transfer which at 10gbs speeds is cheap as dirt considering im paying for a dedicated processor and 4gb of ram and 500gb of ssd disk space along with it
>>
>>60121480

Price out 60tb of transfer on AWS at 10gbe symmetrical
>>
>>60118392
>People were told Trump supporters would be crying left and right if he actually won and look what's happening

There is literally a thread in where a trump supporter is crying about his stance on net neutrality.
>>
>>60121480
The VPS host should just lay down more cables then.
>>
File: 1492471891964.jpg (86KB, 548x644px) Image search: [Google]
1492471891964.jpg
86KB, 548x644px
>>60121515

Do you even understand how backhaul providers like Level 3 Communications, Cogent and Hurricane Electric work.

They lay fiber between large data centers and massive businesses and sell their connections in number of ports at a speed. A buyer would contract for many Gbps symmetrical fiber in (x) amount of connections that's then subdivided though the data center there is no cost for data amounts transferred its only how much bandwidth required to support their customers
>>
>>6011751
>All of this neoliberalism propaganda

When will we you retard understand that deregulation isn't inherently a good thing. What universe should a company have the exact same powers of a public government, but no checks and balances?
>>
>>60121632
Neoliberals love regulation.
>>
>>60121626
Then what would you suppose be a better pricing model?
>>
>>60121650
Barney Frank.
>>
>>60118392
Bullshit. I've been seeing lots of trump supporters change their opinion on him. Lots. They don't condone his shit anymore.
>>
>>60121693
Only portion of /pol/ that still worships him like a god is /president trump general/
>>
>>60119924
The ISPs are already blocking municipal fiber from being installed because they know they can't compete with it
>>
>>60121662

Unlimited unrestricted amount of transfer no caps you only pay for the speed of the connection you need

You sink into the entire argument of the last mile and who controls it and then who monopolizes is infrastructure does cost money and that should be part of the price the end consumer is paying but we already paid for these network upgrades in the 1996 Telecommunication Act with massive tax incentives for ISP's to upgrade their infrastructure and last mile. You know what they did with it? They took the money and just bought each other.

If we would have regulate these entities like a utility from the beginning we would all at minimum fiber to the POP box on the street and everyone would have so much bandwidth the only fight would be what service are you going to run over your fiber much like the cord cutting going on now
>>
>>60121699
Probably just Russian bots left.
>>
>>60121725
Ok, now all 1000 of your customers try to saturate the 100Mb/s connection you promised them 24/7, but you did not provision that much bandwidth with the ISP. Now what do you do?
>>
>>60121736
Go check it out for yourself, it's just spamming memes.
>>
>>60120917
LARPing this hard. I actually live in a gated community and they don't care about a yard sale as long as you don't try and bring in vagrants from the nigger neighborhoods. Shit, my friend Alex is richer than me and they let him have a yard sale in his 12,000 square foot house in the country club.
>>
>>60121736
Russians never shilled for Trump, Russia probably hates Trump for bombing Assad now, he literally has no supporters left except Israel lmao
>>
>>60121792
>Russia wouldn't shill a destabilizing force for their nemesis
>>
>>60121762

You fucked up, you failed to meet your contracted data throughput you need to buy more throughput and you reimburse the end users for the throughput you were not able to provide that caused them either a business loss or violated your contract

In my business we laser cut metal, when the power goes out the Public Utility is held liable to a SLA as to how fast they get the power back on or they pay you for the down time. We received a $10k check for 6 hours of lost productivity
>>
>>60121862
Now the costs rise for everyone because the host has to pay for more bandwidth, which would not have been used if the customers were under a cap model. Sounds like a great plan!
>>
>>60121983

Do you even understand how to run a business

So every time they build a new apartment complex your power bill goes up?
>>
File: 1491688973529.png (463KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1491688973529.png
463KB, 512x512px
>>60117215
The internet yearns to be free, if ISP's start instituting things like upgrading to the youtube package I am confident people will find a way around it.
>>
>>60122033
If I use more power, then my power bill goes up. There is an incentive for me to conserve my energy use. There is no incentive for customers to conserve their data transfer in your scenario. You'll have a bunch of retards who run their seedbox 24/7 forcing you to purchase more bandwidth and passing on the cost to every customer.
>>
>>60121983

You have insurance and a profit margin for when shit hits the fan your insurance helps cover the expenses as you add more customers you buy more throughput. You make additional profit installing customers infrastructure 1 time connection and build out fees offering but not requiring hardware leases. Its still a fucking business you don't just provide internet in a vacuum. Running in this business model still results in the end user paying substantially less for their internet requirements
>>
>>60122089
No you don't. There is no incentive for users to limit their usage. Many will max it out for no reason, giving little value but increasing your costs.
>>
>>60122059
>>60122108

Network bandwidth is not something with a physical generation cost your cost centers are the hardware and cabling. Bandwidth is not finite hardware and cabling is if you have a single fiber strand running into your house it can provide more bandwidth than you could possibly use. Comparing bandwidth to power or water or packages is only a loose analogy
>>
>>60122147
Then why don't hosts offer unlimited bandwidth then?
>>
>>60122177

Because that would require a infrastructure upgrade of either technology or physical cabling to fiber they received over $200 Billion in tax breaks to upgrade their network to be able to provide this and they never did

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=7709556
>>
>>60119936
>Obama light bulbs
This can't be real.
Also LED bulbs are brighter and cheaper, fucking breitbart retards.
>>
>>60121693
>t. shill
>>
File: Ed Edd and Eddie terrorists.jpg (104KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
Ed Edd and Eddie terrorists.jpg
104KB, 500x375px
>>60117215
>Basic economics
>More regulation means less quantity
>>
>>60118644
>implying corporate kikes aren't major supporters of ((((net neutrality))))
>>
>>60118638
Hah, you're living in a fantasy if u still believe the impeachment nonsense.
>>
>>60122490
text book delusion
>>
>>60118794
Wrong on all counts.
He is not profiting off his positions a probe has already concluded that.
The FBI probe on Russia is not about Trump no matter how many de kcrats say it is.

Hillary was a leftists, her idoekgy is dangerous she enables blacklivesmatter and other far left policies. Defeating her and keeping her out of office was Trump's biggest accomplishment.
>>
>>60117319
>gotta go down to the internet store and buy a few barrels of internet to fill up my internet tanks at home.
>>
>>60119680
Everyone should be.
>>
>>60120917
I've never seen someone pretend this hard before
>>
>>60120529
More
>>
>>60117215
This is what happens when you let a literal Pajeet run things.
>>
>>60121504
There is literally a poll that came out two days ago that shows 96% of trump voters would still vote for him and that if the election were held again Trump would still win.
>>
>>60121693
Not according to polls.
>>
>>60121699
>>60121736
Trump still as almost all his support from election day. He still beast Hilary
>>
>>60121504
SOMEONE SAID IT ON THE INTERNET IT MUST BE TRUE

this message brought to you from the biggest troll factory on the entire net
>>
>>60122386
Actually they are right. The democrats killed them just like large tank toilets and the sensor on your car that's says your tires are always too low pressure.
>>
>>60122490
It's not exactly nonsense if he keeps breaking the law. Improbable, since most of congress keeps sucking his gilded microbenis, sure, but it's not exactly without grounds.
>>
>>60122593
cite one single instance where Donald Trump broke a law
>>
>>60122593
He hasn't broken the law.
>>
>>60119675
>Internet speeds are going to dramatically increase in the next 20 years.
Not when there's 0 incentive for companies to actually upgrade their infrastructure. Laying down fiber is expensive, why do that when they could make more money by just not? All they have to do is make an under-the-table deal with other companies not to compete in large geographical areas and they're set.
>>
>>60122607
He doesn't like his politics, that's impeachable.
>>
>>60122634
They already do this.
>>
>>60122607
Unconstitutional Muslim ban. Unauthorized missile strikes against the Syrian government. And while I'm not sure if it's codified, his hair really should be illegal.
>>
File: 1432562006183.webm (445KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1432562006183.webm
445KB, 1280x720px
>>60117215
>Is this something to be worried about?

Not if you own an ISP.
>>
>>60122710
Isn't the ban only applied to non-citizens? How is constitution involved?

How are missile strikes unauthorized when they are issued by the commander in chief? Who is supposed to authorize them?
>>
>>60117215
I can't wait for America to collapse. Less cancer in the world.
>>
>>60122788
nice edge there

careful now

dont cut yourself on it
>>
>>60122593
>most of congress keeps sucking his gilded microbenis

lol, is that why they haven't been supporting his healthcare and tax plans?
>>
Why are people for net neutrality which is the neutralization of accessible internet speeds, so slowing it down for everyone.

Besides, the concept is socialism and ALL forms of socialism must be wiped out. Which is why I do not use android, since it uses a "linux" kernal which is "open source" ie "communist."

All my machines run windows 10 or MacOS.
>>
>>60117215
I'm getting tired of this pajeet, he's the embodiment of everything /g/ hates. I don't mean freetard /g/ but decent human being /g/.

>throttles Internet
>allowed isp to spy and sell user data (although now revoked)
>stopped nationwide fiber rollout
>stopped goverment subsided home Internet and 4g
>>
>>60122710
none of those are illegal you stupid fuck
>>
>>60122710
So you have none. Ok.
>>
File: 1492248878313.gif (1MB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492248878313.gif
1MB, 200x200px
>>60122857
>throttles Internet

This is good for competition.

>allowed isp to spy and sell user data (although now revoked)

Why can the likes of Google and Facebook sell user data but not ISPs?

>stopped nationwide fiber rollout

Nobody has to use the Internet.

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2017/04/dont-like-privacy-violations-dont-use-the-internet-gop-lawmaker-says/

>stopped goverment subsided home Internet and 4g

Get a real job.
>>
>>60122710
Because a judge calls for a restraining order that doesnt mean he committed a crime you idiot. Also the order is going to the supreme Court. Once these cases get out of the liberal left coast they will be upheld.

And war Powers act gives the president the right to launch strikes. He doesn't need permission.
>>
>>60118369
Because mobile providers have competition
>>
>/g/ complains about freedom and privacy in the internet
>people in here believe we should kill the freedom to visit any website we want
>>
>>60122896
>Nobody has to use the Internet.
>Get a real job.
Haven't applied to too many jobs recently, have you?
>>
>>60122896
ebin shitpost
>>
File: 1484649044848.jpg (133KB, 494x500px) Image search: [Google]
1484649044848.jpg
133KB, 494x500px
>>60123001
Welcome to the reality of how our government thinks about the internet.
>>
>>60122978
I'm 100% sure his post is satire
>>
>>60122978
He's parroting GOP talking pointd
>>
>>60123030
You never know when they post with Putin. Could be an actual /pol/tard.
>>
>>60120217
>And how do you get rid of local monopolies when some cities make laws that only one ISP is allowed?
They do that because that ISP pays that city, and there's no regulation in place to say cities can't just pick whoever gives them money.
>>
>>60121424
>Whats preventing end users from buying a device that mesh networks to their neighbors and everyone shares their shitty connections in a pool
Normies are retarded and would rather pay comcast 80/month, despite them fucking them in the ass.
>>
>>60122549
>Not according to polls.
>>lowest popularity president in history
What polls are you reading senpai?
>>
>>60122710
>Unconstitutional Muslim ban.
1) Only citizens have constitutional rights.
2) There is nothing muslim about ban. If you admit that terrorism is islamic thing, you have a problem.
3) There is an explicit wording which allows him to do what he did.
>>
>>60118392
>He's successful af already.
nice alternative reality you got there. I bet it makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, like someone who is severely brain damaged might feel.
>>
this turns the internet from renting an fm radio that you can tune to any station to one of those satellite radios that you need a cable like package for. except without the theoretical increase in quality.

Guarantee their doing this so they can put off infrastructure investment by manipulating traffic. >>60123096
>>60121424
the isps can just cut you off for not being in the club
>>
>>60124427
Constitutional rights extend to all persons in us or state jurisdiction, because they say persons instead of citizen. 2 is special. Theoretical they apply to anyone a federal or state agent interacts with regardless of location but the cia are scumbags. Please actually learn to read before shitposting.
>>
>>60122386
they are the nu-citizens of America. Brace yourself.

"I love the uneducated." - Donald J. Trump
>>
>>60126581
>sand nigger and coon countries
>us jurisdiction
kys retard
>>
>>60126549
No they can't you fucking idiot because that is already ILLEGAL.
>>
>>60119936
Those are parody accounts right?
>>
>>60122710
>Unconstitutional Muslim ban
This meme again. Trump is only banning those from countries they cannot verify security and will allow christians as an exemption because obama didn't allow christians to be refugees. If you're a muslim from a non banned country, you're not banned.
>>
>>60122634
>Laying down fiber is expensive, why do that when they could make more money by just not? All they have to do is make an under-the-table deal with other companies not to compete in large geographical areas and they're set.

Yep, then the startup starts laying cable.

Whooooooops.

Shit like this only works when there is no real clear advantage of emerging tech, like the light bulb industry.

Clearly not the case where.
>>
File: 1475262652719.jpg (12KB, 258x245px) Image search: [Google]
1475262652719.jpg
12KB, 258x245px
>/g/ is ignoring he is a poo in loo
>/g/ is unironically supporting a poo in loo

Nice double standard faggots
>>
>>60118638
impeachment =/= being removed from presidency

You could be impeached by the House for stepping on a man's cat and not apologizing if the majority deemed it necessary. Impeachment is a formal legal accusation of having committed a crime, nothing more and nothing less.
>>
>>60128632
>Yep, then the startup starts laying cable.
It costs millions to lay cable.
Go ahead, lay your million dollars of cable, and then realise that you didn't get the proper ISP permits from the local government since the Telecoms wrote the permit requirments.
>>
>>60128927
>Republican president being impeached by a Republican house
>>
File: 1280px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png (31KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
1280px-Flag_of_Europe.svg.png
31KB, 1280x853px
>>60117215
We don't have this problem in Europe :^)
>>
>>60129044
correct, your problems are much worse
>>
>>60129044
Yes. The government does the censoring there.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_censorship_in_the_United_Kingdom
>>
>>60120876
The companies don't want you to pay per GB because then people will see what it really costs and start asking questions.

God forbid the mobile data scam ever gets flipped over. I was told I was a "heavy data user" at my local store in front of a crowd of people to which I responded "It costs roughly 3 cents per GB and my account is still 60% profitable, I don't care"
Half the people in that store started asking why they get charged $10 for going a gigabyte over.

Types like you that don't want the boat rocked are holding back better models of operation. The average person doesn't give a flying fuck about corporate profits and profits don't help the average person in any real way.
>>
>>60129067
>UK
>EU
>>
>>60117215
Pajeet, my son, you must destroy the internet.
>>
>>60129067
That floating island is not Europe.
>>
>>60129079
>avoided unnecessary regulations is destroying the internet
>>
>>60129079
The internet will be freerer wtih no regulation.
>>
>>60129108

it's been that way since the internet's inception, why do libtards want to change that?
>>
>>60122896
>but not ISPs

Double dipping.
>>
>>60122451
I think he means Comcast and the other large ISP's are looking to grab control of the internet before the demise of television. It makes great sense. TV is dying and they won't be able to justify cable tv subscription prices soon. It's a great way to recoup the inevitable lost revenue from those who cancel their cable tv.
>>
>>60129146
the same reason they want to give every retard free college and every nigger free abortions -- MUH EQUALITY
>>
>>60129200
no, they just want to pipe their video content over IP based infrastructure now and not have that count against the rest of your data use
>>
>>60129200

They don't lost much revenue though.

Media companies kept most of the money you paid for your TV plans.
>>
>>60129351
this. which is why all the smart companies are developing alternative venues to watch their content
>>
File: homer.jpg (7KB, 185x273px) Image search: [Google]
homer.jpg
7KB, 185x273px
>>60129204
>complaining about niggers getting free abortions.
Just fucking leave.
>>
>>60129397
I'm not complaining, just pointing out the glaring hypocrisy of these leftist retards WHO DEFINITELY AREN'T RACIST
>>
ITT: people who have never lived in Atlanta.

Comcast has a stranglehold on the entire city and whatever bullshit policy they implement, you have to deal with. They can, and have, told me to "go sign up with their competitor" knowing full well they've locked anyone else out of the area.

>muh free market
This only works if ISPs haven't created a monopoly on your entire area. Fuck that stupid ass company and fuck this currynigger giving kickbacks to them.
>>
>>60129647
hmm
http://broadbandnow.com/Georgia/Atlanta
>>
I really hate the current right, it's full absolute imbeciles like all the kids here with their goy drumpf.
What a shitshow of candidates we had to choose from
>>
>>60129681
>only other option is DSL

He's right, then.
>>
>>60129681
He's right you stupid retard, where I live it's att or comcast, there is no real free market with ISPs
This is what I mean, you people are complete imbeciles
>>
>>60129801
and you somehow think letting the government babysit these companies will somehow improve things? toplel

>>60129800
oh, so there is an alternative then? weird
>>
>>60129819
The government is the reason they have these monopolies, they gave them millions to increase infrastructure and provide low cost options, which these companies took. Now they're giving them even more power.
It's a garbage system, only the paying public can change it and that won't happen because you don't care as long as you can keep downloading tranny porn
And your reply to the other guy just adds more proof you know fuck all about anything, you're just one of these stupid kids who chose a side and shitposts with general statements about what each party is meant to stand for.
Both sides are absolute cancer, you faggots are just as bad as sjws and just as stupid
>>
>>60117319
we already do this, you retard. I pay for a certain amount of gigabytes/month, not for an additional bunch of bullshit about which sites i can and cannot access or to have my traffic with specific sites throttled.

you idiots crying "regulation is bad, stop nn" are the ones making up new rules and mechanisms that arent based on anything
>>
>>60130121
now that you've found the real problem here, maybe you should concentrate your efforts on that rather than this retarded net neutrality bullshit that will never happen
>>
>>60129647
>This only works if ISPs haven't created a monopoly on your entire area. Fuck that stupid ass company and fuck this currynigger giving kickbacks to them.
ISPs have local monopolies because of your local government. Elect better politicians or run yourself.
>>
>>60130157
Daily reminder that comcast datacap limits are 100% arbitrary, made up and only exist to charge you more money and have NOTHING to do with their inability to provide a service nor does the internet need to be rationed AT ALL
>>
>>60130206
they even admitted it themselves
>>
>>60130206
daily reminder that passing a 1TB cap is pretty much impossible for general consumer needs and if you require more than that you can always get business class service for way less money than the overage fees
>>
>>60130231
This is why datacaps should be banned
>>
>>60130238
Fuck off corporate cuck. The datacaps are made up, fictitious. I should be able to download and run as much as I want without penalty.

I shouldn't have to pay more money for arbitrage and made up crap
>>
>>60130244
No. The free market will fix it.
>>
>>60130261
>I want free shit
>government please give me free shit
>>
>>60130238
>you probably aren't going to go near 1tb but incase you do pay me a 5 dollars per gig overage

>>60130264
obviously not when comcast has a strict monopoly over 17 states
>>
File: 1472018815321.jpg (26KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1472018815321.jpg
26KB, 500x281px
>>60130277
>>
>>60130277
>the corporation should be able to fuck you over thats so much better than having consumer protections
>>
>>60130284
how many overage fees have you paid lately? post pics
>>
>>60130298
it's their network. how have you been fucked over exactly?
>>
>>60130301
>post pics of your private information

I easily do 1.5tb worth of torrents and shit every month for streaming, downloading games and movies and shit

and I don't have a datacap because verizon doesn't cuck my Fios
>>
>>60130244
it makes logical sense too
They never data capped on relatively shit residential network infrastructure in the past. All the sudden it becomes a thing because they realized they can make more money from their subscribers

Even if they wanted to blame their infrastructure for the non existent strain customers put on it then it is not the consumer's fault it's total shit. It's embarrassing, the speeds and service you get in large US cities these days all because there is no incentive to bring infrastructure into the modern age. It's much easier to just sit on trash copper networks and up the cost while inventing new tricks on how to charge even more
>>
>>60130317
>being charged arbitrarily against fees you can't do anything about for the soul purpose of making more money
>>
>>60130298
consumer protections exist under FTC jurisdiction, idiot. you guys make it out like it's some wild west scenario, and it's not

>>60130337
>I go over my cap by illegally downloading copyrighted content
I'm sure you'll find a lot of support for that from the goverment
>>
>>60130264
monopolies and oligopolies are examples of market failure but I suppose you didn't get to that part of your community college econ intro textbook
>>
>>60130362
>consumer protections exist under FTC jurisdiction, idiot.
obviously not enough to protect consumers against monopolies that charge out the ass for garbage ass service from 20 fuckin years ago.

>>60130362
>I'm sure you'll find a lot of support for that from the goverment
I didn't say this, streaming and downloading games and movies is not illegal. Pirating is illegal, nothing I have downloaded is illegally sourced
>>
>>60130383
nobody is forcing you to pay them
>>
>>60130362
>torrenting is the same as pirating
I suggest leaving this board
>>
>>60130399
>want to have internet?
>fuck you theres only one ISP and you have to pay their exorbitant costs for garbage DSL
>you don't NEED the internet, just neuter your social out reach and ability to interact
>no totally ignore all those paper-less features that are mandated today to save paper.

Yea because living without electricity is totally fine because I can just start a fire to cook
>>
>>60130412
glad you realize that internet connectivity is a luxury at least
>>
>>60130399
>keeps back pedaling
>stops with "well you don't NEED the internet"
yea good luck trying to perform even minimally in today's society without the internet. The internet is an integral part of daily life

>>60130426
You're a fucking retard. Living without internet is like living without daily necesities.

I'd like to see you try and keep up in today's society without it. Hell theres tons of government programs that have NO paper filing anymore
>>
>>60130337
While I dislike these retards talking about the free market will fix it, I have no sympathy for you with your usage, 1tb is plenty and you're paying for FiOS so of course there's no cap
Comcast changed to a 300gb limit early last year that they had to change to one 1tb. I couldn't even enjoy Netflix with 300gb
btw you're watching tv shows etc, you're clearly pirating fagbreath
>>
PAI AJIT
A
I

A
J
I
T
>>
>>60130448
>The internet is an integral part of daily life
no it's not, it's just all you're accustomed to being a NEET
>>
File: 1469560850833.jpg (31KB, 630x405px) Image search: [Google]
1469560850833.jpg
31KB, 630x405px
We didn't listen.
>>
>>60130458
>its plenty because I said so
>I don't need to use it that means all your shit doesn't count.

>they changed it from 300gb to 1tb
doesn't fucking matter its all 100% arbitrary. They only do it to make more money off of you, none of that money goes towards making your service better or faster
>>
>under Obama NN was something nearly universally agreed upon to be a good thing here
>now that the meme president is pushing against it, people actually think it is anti-consumer

Holy fuck people honestly are retards.
>>
>>60130472
>no its not
it absolutely is, go ahead. Find a business that doesn't have an internet ANYTHING. Find me a business that handles hundreds of customers without any kind of credit card reader, VOIP phones, or anything.
>>
>>60130486
how much additional money have they made off of you?
>>
>>60130499
>you can't have empathy for people who suffer under arbitrage
>unless you're a victim of it, it doesn't matter what you say that means its ok
>>
>>60130497
I'm talking about you as an individual, dumb fuck. You'll be just fine without it, and public resources are available if Comcast is so demanding it puts you into poverty
>>
>>60130491
I agree, you're a retard
>>
>>60130517
so $0? that's what I thought. cry me a river
>>
>>60130519
>I'm talking about you as an individual
it doesn't fucking matter you retard. The internet is integral in literally everything now adays

You couldn't function without some access to the internet at all, you're a fucking luddite if you think its some kind of luxury like it was in the 90's.
>>
>>60130529
>you can't talk about how bad these made up arbitrary fees are unless you pay for them
you're fucking delusional. No other country has these arbitrary limits. Its fueled by raw greed and gets you nothing

but go ahead, stick up for made up garbage
>>
>>60130536
seems like you're a little over-invested famalam
>>
>>60130558
I thought you couldn't shift and back pedal any harder but you did
>>
>>60130556
made up garbage that barely affects anyone at all? real scary stuff, be sure to write your congressman
>>
>>60130558
>can't rebute
>y-y-you're over invested!

wow thats great you can't name a single business that doesn't rely on the internet of things in some way.
>>
>>60130576
internet access is not, and never will be, a basic human right. keep crying though
>>
>>60130590
>business
>individual
pick one retard
>>
>>60130577
So if you're ok with made up datacaps for the sole purpose of making more money off you you must also think that the made up shit they told congress that the Internet was like a resource that needed to be rationed was also true?

how much does comcast pay you?

>>60130593
No one said that you dense fuck, you can't read you are so fucking retarded when you can't read enough to come up with a real response so you shoe horn some dumb garbage no one said.
>>
>>60130611
>you don't need it because I said so even though I can't name a single thing that is fully functioning without the internet today

do you turn on your TV? guess how your ISP runs your TV subscription.
>>
>>60130615
fine by me, as previously mentioned I use the internet a fuck ton and I've never even used 50% of my allotted amount. this entire pro-NN outrage brigade is fighting made up hypothetical scenarios that don't exist in daily life

>>60130628
OTA antenna gets me all the tv I need
>>
>>60130634
>its fine for me it must be fine for everyone else
keep sucking that corporate dick.

>OTA antenna gets me all the tv I need
hahaha wow you're fucking hilarious, this is the level of delusion

>yea I don't need TV I have my HAM radio!

The water company doesn't even check my meter anymore, the meter has access to the internet and they check it remotely. Same thing with my gas and electric, no one shows up any more to check the meter they automatically know because they use the internet to run their shit.

Hell I can't even sign up for a news paper without going to the website and filling out their online form. I can't even submit a paper resume for many jobs anymore I have to go online. You can't even fill out SNAP benefits in my state anymore you have to sign up online.
>>
>>60130615
Why tf are we discussing data caps? That's not the issue here. Data caps are perfectly acceptable with or without net neutrality. What net neutrality prevents is having to pay more to access some sites than others, or being throttled to piss poor speed on some sites while letting other (paying) sites use the actual bandwidth you bought.

This is all just a big money grab for the ISPs. They want us to pay for bandwidth we can only use with some sites. Then they want those sites to pay them to let you use the bandwidth you pay for. They also want to make more people use their own shitty streaming services by making the competition slower, rather than by making their own services good enough to compete.
>>
>>60130666
t. Netflix shill
>>
>>60130672
most of these faggots crying about lack of NN are probably paying Youtube $10/month to listen to music in the background
>>
>>60130672
>Data caps are perfectly acceptable with or without net neutrality.

>its perfectly acceptable for an ISP monopoly to make up things to charge you more money akin to price gauging and price fixing.
>>
>>60130491
Every dictator to exist was a leftist, not a single right wing dictator has existed. Net neutrality is a symbol of government tyranny, pai represents freedom.
>>
>>60117215
>The plan is Mr. Pai’s most forceful action in his race to roll back rules that govern telecommunications
>The rules were intended to ensure an open internet, meaning that no content could be blocked by broadband providers and that the internet would not be divided into pay-to-play fast lanes for internet and media companies that can afford it and slow lanes for everyone else.
Is this something to be worried about?
Yes.
>>
>>60121662
It's hard to take anything you type seriously when you don't include punctuation. It makes reading your arguments painful.

If you want to convince people of something, at least don't type like a complete fucking retard.
>>
>>60130695
maybe you should call everyone you disagree with racist for the next 4 years. that'll surely work this time
>>
>>60130628
Cable companies have to pay to be able to provide certain channels. They do not have to pay extra to get a link to a certain website
>>
>the internet NEEDS to be rationed guys
>its like water!

This is what retards say when they don't know anything about how internet infrastructure works
>>
>>60130718
>internet NEEDS to be free
>it's like college
libtards actually believe this
>>
>>60118356
they'll never say that. Instead it's gonna be, "y-you guys didn't explain it properly"
>>
>>60130688
Strawman. And it doesn't matter what services I choose to purchase or not purchase. If I want to pay $10 a month for Youtube Music, it should work if my connection has enough bandwidth.

Without net neutrality, my ISP could make Youtube Music so laggy as to be unusable, to force me to pay them $15/month for their shittier streaming service with less selection.
>>
>>60130718
No. You want to oppress us with more big government. True freedom is the freedom from government.
>>
>>60130752
no they can't because that is anti-competitive behavior THAT IS ALREADY ILLEGAL
>>
>>60117597
>The net neutrality rules that Obama made were not in effect yet so it's just the same as before.

They've been in effect for almost two years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality_in_the_United_States#cite_ref-116
>>
>>60130694
Freedom for who? Not you, that's for sure. This is about protecting large ISPs' freedom to fuck you over.

>>60130715
And without net neutrality, they now have no incentive not to charge you extra for access to certain websites. Even if it costs them nothing more to give you access, why wouldn't they want to charge you extra?
>>
>>60130752
More leftist lies.
>>
>>60130780
and it's been enforced exactly zero times
>>
>>60130790
>they now have no incentive not to charge you extra for access to certain websites
already illegal you dumb fuck
>>
>>60130798
Where wasn't it enforced where it should have been?
>>
Invisible hand of free market.

Give large corporations breaks and they will give returns to the poor.
>>
>>60130406
Are you trying to say people torrent 1.5 TB of Linux ISOs?
>>
>>60130825
it hasn't been enforced because it's not needed. these pro-NN shills are just making up bullshit hypothetical scenarios
>>
>>60130797
Tell your shill wrangler to give you better arguments. That was piss poor.
>>
>>60130830
Exactly, the wealth trickles down from the job creators to the poor.
>>
>>60130852
/g/ always hated NN you lying communist.
>>
>>60130815
Really? How do they get away with it on cable TV? How is it more illegal to offer a basic cable package with only some channels, than to offer a basic internet package with only some sites?
>>
>>60130890
those aren't the same thing you idiot
>>
>>60130852
My shill playbook tells me when a thread goes this long I'm just supposed to call people names.
>>
>>60130900
How? On one hand we have a cable company offering a basic package that contains a limited selection. On the other, we have an ISP offering a basic package that contains a limited selection.
>>
>>60130830
>>60130857
Lol, suuuure. Nice religion you got there boys!
>>
ISPs are your friends, government isn't.
>>
>>60130874
>we have always been at war with east eurasia
>>
>>60130932
individual websites don't have contractual obligations with the provider like tv channels do. these are two completely different arenas, and until you're able to understand that you're not doing your side any help you ignorant moron
>>
>>60130830
Yes. Take the bank crisis for instance. We gave the banks more freedom and less regulation. In return they gave us loans we couldn't afford and then came begging to congress when they had so much bad debt they were about to collapse.
>>
>>60130987
>diversity is our strength
>islam is a religion of peace
>black lives matter

>>60131003
you taking out a lot of debt for your ISP bill?
>>
>>60131003
That's their fault and it's the government's fault for bailing them out.
>>
>>60129010
>implying those corrupt neocon puppets don't hate the living shit out of Trump
>>
>>60130992
How does that affect the legality of offering a basic package that gives unlimited access to some sites -- ones that sign a contract and pay money -- and slow limited access to others?

Of course it won't start off like this. It'll start with prioritizing streaming data from Netflix and Youtube, and charging those sites for that prioritization. Then they can fail to upgrade their network quickly as usage of those sites grows. Slowly their inaction will result in more prioritized paid data going through, and de-prioritized data being choked to a crawl. If you want to start a new streaming site at that point, you'll have to pay the ISPs or have potato quality streams.
>>
>>60131023
And what would have happened if the government hadn't bailed them out? They are truly big enough that it would have likely caused a depression.

The regulations we removed prevented these sorts of abuses. And after the crisis we put regulations in place to prevent it from happening again -- regulations that are now being repealed.

Think about who controls what these banks did, and their incentives. Executives did, and it looked damn good to the shareholders. It made for huge quarterly gains. Then when the shit hit the fan, the execs took their bonuses and ran. Those responsible for doing things like this have every incentive to do them if allowed to, so long as it results in short term gains. They'll be leaving if they're not already long gone when the bad long term consequences come.
>>
>>60117215
The way the (((leftists))) explained it to me before it sounded like big government was going to make it so big (((ISP))) was going to ruin my internet. Now I see they lied and they were trying to make the internet socialist.
This man is in Trumps Government.
If Trump says it's good for us then it's good for us!
#MAGA
>>
>>60119960
JESUS FUCK.

What the actual fuck. Fuck Obama!
>>
>>60131209
This, if trump likes it only a communist cuck would be against it. Praise kek and kekistan.
>>
File: qo6TUY2RPEk.jpg (23KB, 450x220px) Image search: [Google]
qo6TUY2RPEk.jpg
23KB, 450x220px
Lol do the alt-righters think the ISP's are run by White Anglo-Saxon Protestants or something?
Haha god I love what Trumps alt-right reactionary movement to SJW's has done.
Net Neutrality has become a leftist jewish plot!

fucking idiots anti-net neutrality is literally a neocon plot
>>
>>60131285
It is a communist plot you cuck.
>>
>>60131209
>>60131273
Ok Larpers
>>
>>60131285
It was always a corporate plot, it's just coming to completion now. Trump has bigger things to worry about than ISP nonsense. Should just dismantle the FCC.
>>
>>60131330
Ok cuck
>>
>>60120010
>Bell
>Rogers
>smattering of small, shitty companies that rent lines from Bell

Great options. Much choice.

>m-muh teksavy, they're good people
$100/mo for DSL is garbage, fuck them.
>>
>>60131356
Back to r/The_Donald pls
>>
>>60131410
Back to the cuck shed, Tyrone is waiting for you.
>>
>>60131392
Lucky to even have 2 options in the boonies.
>>
>>60131273
Beware, Trump does not speak for all of Kekistan. He only has the interest of rich Kekistanis and Jews in mind.
>>
>>60131335
>Should just dismantle the FCC.
True freedom at last! I'll be able to broadcast on any frequency I like at any power I like. Fuck your mobile phone, I'll be blasting out memes 24/7 on 1900 MHz from now on. You wanted to watch some TV? Sorry, I'm busy testing high power random noise generators on those frequencies.
>>
>>60130748
pretty sure they'll just blame jewish people again even though they're blaming jewish people now for net-neutrality in the first place
>>
>>60131740
Cops and criminals are already spoofing cell towers, don't see why I shouldn't get in on the act.
>>
>>60131755
If they spoof the cell tower, can they see my shitposts?
>>
File: Computer_bomb[1].jpg (236KB, 1006x850px) Image search: [Google]
Computer_bomb[1].jpg
236KB, 1006x850px
>>60131771
Worse, they can hack into your phone a turn it into a bomb.
>>
Who fucking cares.
>>
>>60131840
>fuck freedom and democracy rite guise? XD
>>
>>60117319
You already pay for your internet usage, this is about data discrimination you fucking retarded /pol/fag
>>
>>60132548
And it never applied to mobile internet stuff anyway, all these phoneposters don't see any difference.
>>
>>60132599
Many phoneposters are on wifi and will see a difference. And many of us are on desktops.
>>
>>60132548
Data discrimination is illegal you mentally defective libcuck.
>>
>>60132884
Net neutrality is what makes it illegal. Paijeet is trying to make it legal.
>>
>>60132944
No, FTC jurisdiction already makes illegal you idiot
>>
>>60132944
It's already illegal because it's anti competition you lying libcuck.
>>
>>60132956
>>60132957
Okay, redpill me. What exactly does this allow ISPs to do? I thought it would let companies like Netflix pay ISPs to prioritize their data.
>>
>>60133055
>Antitrust would get involved if ISPs diluted the competitive process that prevents them from, in Professor Wu’s examples, fa- voring one set of speakers, news sources, and sports teams. Were ISPs to agree to boycott certain political content, to allocate vari- ous forms of content exclusively between them, or otherwise to col- lude with anticompetitive effect, for example, antitrust would hold them liable.
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/documents/public_statements/1054963/ohlhausen_cotechjournal.pdf
>>
>>60133264
What about if they merely allowed sites to pay them to prioritize traffic for their site?
>>
>>60133334
that would probly "dilute competitive process" since it would compete less, now if a bunch of "competing" video serving companies joined together to buy a fast track then that wouldn't be anticompetitive, just anticompetitive against upstarts and secure for themselves a cabal.
>>
>>60133334
>>60133362
The fallacy the NN proponents often make is that a "fast track" or prioritization does not inherently slow all other traffic. The idea that without NN ISPs can throttle and slow any service they dislike or compete directly against is patently false.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.