[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GPU Temps ranging from 35c idle all the way up to 93c under full load!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: idle.gif (15KB, 400x494px) Image search: [Google]
idle.gif
15KB, 400x494px
What's going on here? I notice the heat is coming out from the back of the GPU instead of the front I did clean the circuit board with isopropyl alcohol before putting it into the new system? (it was very dusty - stuck on)

Would that really be causing this weirdness?

The GPU isn't throttling either, even at 93c.
>>
File: load.gif (16KB, 400x494px) Image search: [Google]
load.gif
16KB, 400x494px
Under load..
>>
Use a proper fan curve you fuckin retard
>>
>>60112271
Temps are still ramping up even when the RPM is at max.
>>
>>60111710
>hurr thing is not right
>doesnt say what the thing is

Stop using a fucking laptop to run crysis
>>
download msi afterburner and increase the core voltage to the max. this will help the fan spin way faster, which is sometimes necessary when dealing with overheating GPUs.
>>
>>60112208
900mhz, 1.1v, 95c
accomplishment
>>
>>60112376
I don't want my system to sound like a housefire at load.

Wonder if I can still RMA this thing..
>>
>>60112491
>I don't want my system to sound
In case you took it seriously, I was joking and confident you already knew what I was talking about. Don't do it, increasing the voltage does absolutely nothing to the fan and will raise considerably the temperature.
>>
>>60111710
>>60112396
What is this thing?
Fermi?
Even my leaf blower RX480 stays below 85C
>>
>>60111710
>>60112208
>Whats going on here?

You bought AMD
>>
Don't worry guys I fixed the issue by taking it out the case and adding a desk fan in front of my GPU.

Thanks amd.
>>
>>60112282
>did clean the circuit board
>it was very dusty - stuck on
Did you apply new thermal paste?
>>
File: IMG_20170428_154538.jpg (4MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170428_154538.jpg
4MB, 4160x3120px
perfect
>>
>>60112938
Don't leave it on for too long. You'll get cancer
>>
>>60111710
90ish C isn't uncharted territory if that's an R9 280 or 290 (Tahiti/Hawaii) series, but obviously isn't ideal.

What you want to do is take apart the fan/heatsink and reapply thermal paste to the GPU since it might be dry/defective at this point, especially if temps are increasing with fan at max leafblower rpm.

That's step one and the most obvious source of problems. Step two is using AMD's wattman program (in the driver suite) or MSI afterburner to undervolt the chip so it runs cooler. Obviously this could introduce instability that can cause crashes/artifacts if you overdo it but if heat is a concern it's worth the time and effort to see what the lowest voltage you can stably run the card at is.

>>60112938
JUST
>>
>>60113201
It's the lower powered Tonga (R9 285) I'm getting about 20c higher than I should be I think.
>>
>>60113201
definitely this. My gtx 660 had this issue after a few years recently and I had to disassemble it and reapply the paste. temps still aren't ideal at 80c at full load, but for changing only one variable I'm happy.
>>
>>60113376
1) Did you remove thermal compound from the GPU die? Did you reapply thermal compound?

2) If yes to above, if no disregard: Did you put ENOUGH thermal compound? GPUs typically need a lot more thermal compound than the small pea sized drop that CPUs use. CPUs have an integrated heatspreader (the silver thing that sits on the top of the CPU) rather than exposing the bare CPU die. GPUs these days typically expose the bare die when the heatsink-fan shroud is removed for intensive cleaning (ie: anything more than canned air, which in your case involved PCB cleaning using isopropyl alcohol)

It's possible you don't have enough thermal compound. Else, you may have power leakage on the die, but that isn't something that would suddenly appear after cleaning the GPU.

https://youtu.be/rAid5G30-WM

Your temps will suffer on GPUs if you don't put enough thermal compound, but they're fine even if you put what might look to be a bit too much.

CPUs, which have that integrated heatspreader are more sensitive to overapplication of thermal compound leading to worse temperatures.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.