[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I got a free 2011 computer with no hard drive, what should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: serveimage.jpg (67KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
67KB, 1280x960px
So I got a free 2011 computer with no hard drive, what should I do with it?

>Put a hard drive in it
>Cannibalize the RAM into my existing computer and sell the rest
>Other
>>
donate to a kid
>>
>>60109460
Specs? You could probably use it as a fileserver or something.
>>
FreeNAS the fucker after you get a new drive. Have some RAIDs and shit.
>>
>>60109526
Pavilion P7

>Athlon II X4
>6 GB
>integrated graphics
>new hard disk would have to be installed

>>60109550
Only 4 SATA ports on a proprietary motherboard, don't know if I want to do that
>>
>>60109460
Server
>>
>>60109558
Physical RAID cards have their SATA ports. That means you porbably have enough space.
>>
>>60109599
So then it becomes an issue of the hard drive box and the fact that I can't find upgrades for it, and whether I can stick hard drives in the disc drive slots, etc....

The whole thing seems impractical with an off-the-shelf computer
>>
>cannibalize the ram

Its probably not even compatable with your current build
>>
>>60109616
Just drill holes into the side of the case and zip-tie hard drives on it.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (31KB, 376x429px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
31KB, 376x429px
>>60109683
Both it and my current build are DDR3. I don't know if speed differences would matter, but this the current speccy on my current build
>>
>>60109701
Memory controllers always run at the speed of the slowest devices, on something that old it's probably DDR3-1333 CL9 or even 1066. It's going to noticeably cut into your memory performance and 16 GB is plenty anyway, so you're actually better off not installing the extra 4 GB you're getting off the old rig.
>>
>>60109558
plex server, the case looks like a mess though good luck m8
>>
>>60109460
Install pfsense and use it as a router
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ledv33t6SNE
>>
>>60109460
Looks better than mine, the 2007 model.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.