[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sup /g/, for a while now my neighbor in my apartment building

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 5

File: 1493167466997.jpg (2MB, 2634x3873px) Image search: [Google]
1493167466997.jpg
2MB, 2634x3873px
Sup /g/, for a while now my neighbor in my apartment building and I have been splitting the internet bill, with me connecting to his wireless router. However, someone recently moved in to a unit closer to me than the neighbor I'm sharing with, and ever since then my internet has slowed to a crawl (<1Mbps). I'm guessing the new neighbor's wireless router is causing interference. I've tried all the 2.4GHz channels, even the in-between ones but it makes no difference.

Unfortunately 5GHz doesn't work, at least with the stock antennas. I'm just out of range by maybe 20 feet or so (and a couple concrete walls).

Unless someone has had good luck with a high gain 5GHz antenna extending coverage through walls, and can share their experience here... it would seem my only two options are

>powerline ethernet
>MoCA

Powerline ethernet seems like sort of a crappy solution, and I live in an old building and my neighbor and I are on totally different meters, so I'm not even sure it would work well. I also fear that it might trip other peoples' circuit breakers if they have the new ARC type installed.

Then there's MoCA, but from what I understand, a POE filter needs to be installed to prevent interference with other customers. Outside there is a cable box where there is a split from the main drop to each different unit. Given that, I'm not sure how I'd install a POE filter so that the MoCA wouldn't interfere with others, but also so the signals wouldn't be blocked between myself and my neighbor (who are connected to different cables at the main box).

Any suggestions? Am I underestimating the effectiveness of a high (24+) gain 5GHz antenna's effectiveness through walls? Or the performance of powerline ethernet (or likelihood of it tripping breakers)? Or is there an easy way to install a POE filter between my neighbor and I? Something else?
>>
pay for your own internet you cheap fuck
>>
>>60082583
t. someone whose parents pays their $500-1000+ annual internet bill
>>
>>60082614
>500 bucks annually for internet
that's reality in murica?
>>
>>60082614
I've been self sustaining since age 18 because I'm not a worthless NEET faggot
>>
>>60082673
Unless you live in a third world shit hole that's pretty much the standard.
>>
>>60082709
As have I, but unlike you, I don't toss $500-1000 into the trash every year just so I can feel like a big boy for having my own account with the internet company
>>
>>60082564
do you happen to share a wall with windows?
that is, is there line-of-sight if you both leaned out of a window?
if so, put an antenna out the window, so they have a clear path
>>
>>60082729
There are no third world countries in Europe and the average price for 160 Mbps internet is around 20€ a month (That's 260 USD annually) .
>>
>>60082777
stay poor faggot
>>
>>60082781
>There are no third world countries in Europe
Bullshit.
>the average price for 160 Mbps internet is around 20€ a month
Show me a Western country where that is the case because quite frankly, I don't believe you.
>>
>>60082794
stay wasteful, faggot

if two people get what they need by sharing a resource, why not split the cost? both pay half and are satisfied, there's no downside
>>
>>60082673
>>60082781
>comparing internet prices on a tiny island compared to the geographically diverse and extremely large united states
ok
>>
File: third_world_map.jpg (38KB, 550x321px) Image search: [Google]
third_world_map.jpg
38KB, 550x321px
>>60082799
>Bullshit.
>t. I know nothing of history or geography
>>
>>60082781
>There are no third world countries in Europe
Albania, Moldova, Ukraine
>>
>>60082799
Glad you didn't say "First World", so i'll suggest Romania.
If you were to go with First World, you'd have to look at modern nations instead of Western shitholes. Our stuff is outdated, they have the privilege of coming late to the party and building it all from scratch with more recent tech.
>>
>>60082805
>there's no downside
But OP just posted one

>>60082836
>third world
keep using that world, I don't think you know what it means
>>
>>60082780
Unfortunately not, they are a floor down and on the other side of the building.

Ideally I would just plug a wifi extender into one of the outlets in the walkways, which would work great, but undoubtedly someone will either unplug it or bitch about it
>>
Get a wireless bridge or extender.

https://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Mode
>>
>>60082845
>keep using that world, I don't think you know what it means
We can use the old definition and you would still be wrong.
>>
One thing I considered: one of my neighbors has a router from the ISP (Xfinity) and these routers broadcast a secondary wireless network, and you can log in with any Xfinity username/password.

I was thinking about doing this and using my neighbor's (that I share internet with) username and password. But I think this might be too risky, Xfinity would probably notice the constant bandwidth coming from that connection and investigate or something.
>>
>>60082799
romania and hungary has gigabit net for 20€.

Korea and Japan may have it too, as well as the nordic countries (finland, sweden).
>>
>>60082845
>But OP just posted one
that's a solvable issue with his current, specific setup
not a downside with sharing resources in general

>>60082852
another idea is to use directional antennas, just pointing at each other through the walls
going through walls in general isn't ideal, but directional antennas still help concentrate the signal between two points, as well as attentuate signals /not/ directly in the path, aka, interfering APs
>>
>>60082805
are you fucking each other?
>>
>>60082880
There is no "old" or "new" definition, "third world" has nothing to do with poverty just what side a country was at the end of WW2/beginning of cold war.
>>
>>60082892
worth noting you may need separate APs to your current ones for this, if you use wifi for more than just connecting between the buildings, as the directional nature means you won't get much of a signal elsewhere in either building
>>
>>60082916
>playing the semantics game instead of admitting you were wrong
See you on the boards, kiddo.
>>
>>60082729
>america
>not third world
>not 57%
kek
>>
>>60082880
wrong and also that map is a depiction of a far later date and bullshit political, first/second/third world was divided up upon the end of world war 2, you magically can't change the definition of the country because of political views, fuck americans are ignorant
>>
>>60082947
>playing the semantics game
>I'm right because I say so!!!!
Nice one, made me reply.
>>
>>60082729
>standard
holy shit end yourself
>>
>>60082799
>>60082836
>>60082880
>"The term "Third World" arose during the Cold War to define countries that remained non-aligned with either NATO, or the Communist Bloc. The United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Western European nations and their allies represented the First World, while the Soviet Union, China, Cuba, and their allies represented the Second World. This terminology provided a way of broadly categorizing the nations of the Earth into three groups based on political and economic divisions."
>>
>>60082890
Estonia here, same here, I pay 16€ because I'm a long term customer, usually it's 20€ too for 20 MB/s internet.
>>
>>60083022
According to your paragraph, Sweden is a 3rd world country.
>>
>>60083072
That's why the First/Second/Third world analogy is bullshit.
>>
>>60083072
>implying it's not
>>
>>60082777
Sharing internet with strangers is just asking for trouble. Get a job or fuck off
>>
>>60083089
That's just because americans think that third world means shithole, when in truth they would be far down the list before so many other countries they consider shitholes in so many aspects
>>
>>60082729
>>60082799
>I live in the first world so it's okay for things to cost ridiculously much!!! doesn't matter that you make as much as I do but your living expenses are way cheaper, I'm still better then you!
I fucking love seeing shit like that on /g/
>>
>>60083167
>I don't know what exchange rate and monetary policy are
>>
>>60083202
>implying that USD and EUR aren't equal
>>
File: 1492421807363.gif (142KB, 1221x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1492421807363.gif
142KB, 1221x1007px
>>60083202
>I have no idea about the state of currency in the world.
>>
>>60082564
delet this you can see nipples
>>
>>60083254
muh safespace
>>
>>60082564
You could just ask the other neighbor to share with him.
>>
>>60083232
>hurr durr what is cost of living
>>
File: 1466192884258.jpg (44KB, 329x399px) Image search: [Google]
1466192884258.jpg
44KB, 329x399px
>>60083254
>>>/lgbt/
>>>/vip/
>>
>>60083327
see
>>60083167
exactly the point
>>
>>60083357
>$50/month
>ridiculously much
>>
>>60082890
>romania and hungary has gigabit net for 20€.
i'd want cheap internet too if i had to live on $500 a month while working full-time

t. new world
>>
Any other suggestions?
>>
>>60082614
t. someone who posts nips on a blue board
>>
>>60082564
run ethernet you giant retard
>inb4 can't knock holes in walls
run a exterior grade cable through a window or something
>>
>>60082835
That map is objectively wrong because East Germany was by definition a Second World country. Only West Germany was First World.
>>
Do you have a good password? Someone might be stealing your internet.
>>
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003CFATNS/
>>
>>60082614
>$500-1000 p.a
>for internet
Seeing posts like this on /g/ reminds me just how fucked Americans are by their ISP
>>
>>60084289
No, it's not that. Immediately after the Comcast guy showed up to hook them up, my internet speeds tanked. It's definitely the interference because I remember before when someone else lived there (it's been unoccupied for months) I had a similar problem although not as bad.

>>60084460
I think my only hope is using the 5GHz range; 2.4GHz is coming in fairly strong, it's just super slow. Anyone here have good luck with a high gain 5GHz antenna?
>>
>>60082889
I do this all the time from my neighbor, the only problem is that the speed can be kinda shit. If you can't figure anything else out this would work, but I would use it as a last resort.
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.