[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Uploading Your Mind

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 2013-06-19-Pork-Futures.jpg (247KB, 900x578px) Image search: [Google]
2013-06-19-Pork-Futures.jpg
247KB, 900x578px
When I first heard about this concept I was excited of the possibilites, but soon I realized it would probably be like in pic related. Anyway, how far in the future you think it would be possible to upload your mind to a computer?
>>
>>60081898
As soon as you can grab all your brain electrons and chemical states and place them 1:1 into a computer and then continue to move them in a way that works.
So, never.
>>
>>60081898
What? You literally only need "drivers" to the brain stem "bus". Then you control all the senses and can provide a virtual reality.

Duplicating consciousness is way way after.
>>
>>60082066
thats just like really good vr then
>>
>>60081898
The mind and soul are very different. You can't upload things from a higher dimension because all we can comprehend is what's in the 3rd dimension and lower not higher.
Time and Space is 4th and we have zero controll over that and we all are from a dimension wayyy above the 4th.

From a science view >>60081922
is right it'll never work. Plus it goes against the life and death cycle.
>>
>>60082286
Geat a load of this hippie.
>>
just write the code and data for your mind on a piece of paper, and hire some pajeets to do the calculations
>>
>Today, citizens have access to special clinics in which their biological brains can be literally discarded in favour of artificial ones. Rather than simply "duplicating" a mind, the machine physically shifts the consciousness, like a sponge soaking up water. The brain is gradually replaced – piece by piece – so the original personality remains intact during the transition. This vital aspect of the procedure assuages the fear which many have of losing their identity.
>>
>>60082351
>data
Boobs, anime and self-deprication.
>>
>>60082260
reality is just really good vr
we only interact with the world through limited IO channels to our brain... as far as we can tell, from interpreting the information gathered via the limited IO channels to our brain
>>
>>60082286
Your argument isn't even self consistent. Which one is it? Are we "way above the 4th dimension"? Or only able to comprehend 3 dimensions and lower? As you put it, since we can't comprehend anything above 3 dimensions we can't be "way above 4 dimensional".
>>
>>60082390
>self-deprication

Good spelling, nigger
>>
>>60082286
even the third dimention is only interpolated, we have no sensors capable of directly observing the third dimention

>bullshit
tell me, can you see all 5 exposed sides of a cube at once without moving or using mirrors/cameras as aids?
you cannot, because you are only seeing a 2D image of the cube at one specific angle, which doesn't allow you to see the entire cube at once
two eyes allows for depth perception, but that's just brain-interpolated information attained from using two 2D images at slightly different angles, you aren't directly sensing depth
>>
>>60083132
-- to add to that
you only know it's a cube, and not a flat shape, by piecing together multiple clues, depth perception through the use of two eyes helps, but can be fooled
moving around the cube is better

if you closed one eye, and looked at a photo of a cube alongside a real cube, they would look identical
as would using both eyes and looking at a stereoscopic photo (which is comprised of only two static 2D images) vs. a real cube
>>
>Moravec Transfer

/thread
>>
Not if you replace your brain gradually with electronic parts yep, mind blowing
>>
File: hippocamp_prosthesis.jpg (191KB, 966x661px) Image search: [Google]
hippocamp_prosthesis.jpg
191KB, 966x661px
>>60081898
Afaik we don't even have a basis for how this might be realistically done and because bio/medical research takes a long time to do, we're probably looking at a minimum of 20 years if the research was started today.

If you want an idea of how it could be done, then the most sane approach is the Ship of Theseus approach where you replace the brain over time with an artificial one until it's essentially just another computer... but I don't know of anyone doing anything remotely close to that. The closest research to that is probably the hippocampal prosthesis where a BCI replaces a damaged section of the hippocampus (pic related). The technology is kind of rough, but if you could replace more brain systems in a similar manner, then maybe in the future you could see large portions of the brain replaceable with machines. But again, bio/medical research takes a long time, so even if that's a likely future, it will probably be decades away.

The good news is that there is alot of resources flooding into neuroscience research over the past 10-15 years along with some cool new concepts for BCIs/electrophysiology.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.