[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dental Hygiene Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 15

File: h9991833_002.jpg (59KB, 460x300px) Image search: [Google]
h9991833_002.jpg
59KB, 460x300px
Sup /g/, I want to use the power of ELECTRONIC TECHNOLOGY to make sure my teeth don't rot out of my skull before 30. Sure, flossing, mouthwash, brushing, etc they're all good but they don't require electricity, so fuck that noise amirite?

Any recommendations for water picks / electronic toothbrushes?
>>
>>60075062
There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting except removing them and replacing with prosthetic.
source:I'm dentist and meet ppl that spend hour cleaning theyr teeth each day and still get issues.
>>
No electric shit. Just a stiff brush, and paste every second day.
Over polishing wears down the enamel.
Feel free to brush with plain water as much as you like.
Flossing is a meme, than can actually chip your teeth. Just use a wooden pick no more than once a day.
>>
>>60075102
>before 30

pls read ty

>>60075105
>stiff brush

don't hard bristles wear down the enamel too?

>Flossing is a meme

That's why I'm asking about water flossing.
>>
I'm going into an extraction tomorrow for a crowding wisdom tooth. What kind of painkillers should I get? Vicodins? Percocets? Do you think I can just get them to give me an oral syringe filled with morphine that I can shoot right into my asshole?
>>
>>60075105
>a stiff brush
will tear up your gums
always use a soft or extra-soft brush
>>
>>60075134
chances are they'll give you tylenol-3 and send you on your way
>>
>>60075062
hmm, how about an ultrasonic toothbrush?
or has that already been done?
>>
>>60075153
Well it's just my regular dentist. I think he made a policy change to only prescribe vicodin though some years ago because I went back a year ago for a bad filling and I asked for percocets. Dude tried pushing some muscle relaxers on me so I just took what he'd give me.
>>
>>60075128
>don't hard bristles wear down the enamel too?
Plastic V enamel. Do the math.
>>60075135
Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
>>60075128
>That's why I'm asking about water flossing.
Water flossing can lead to gum disease by forcing crud into them. The shit between your teeth will fall out naturally with enzymes, and brushing.
Sure if ya have a chunk of meat stuck get that out with a pick.
>>
File: 1493173426798.jpg (546KB, 979x832px) Image search: [Google]
1493173426798.jpg
546KB, 979x832px
>>60075105
>>
>>60075193
>Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
Are you stupid
>>
I feel like "soft" and "medium" toothbrushes are a meme to cause more people to get cavities and gingivitis because they don't clean worth a damn.

Brush ONLY with a hard bristle toothbrush and DO NOT use toothpastes with triclosan, that shit literally causes cancer.
>>
>>60075204
Fact: Our body's get stronger with case hardening.
Stop being a pussy foot.
>>
>>60075102
My teeth have been stained by years of drinking pop. I've cut back, but I really hate my smile because of it. Do those whitening things from Crest actually work?
>>
>>60075193
>Also promotes healthy gums by making them harden the fuck up.
Hard bristles can damage the gums, continued damage can cause receded gums and other issues. Stop it.
>>
>>60075247
The whitening paste by colgate worked for me. Going back 10 years ago was $30Aud for a 15ml bottle or someshit.
Try charcoal if you can't afford the stuff.
>>
I just use the cheapest electric toothbrush that my supermarket sells. All I need it to do is multiply the motion of my hand.

That's it. Everything else is manual. Floss, anti-plaque rinse (basically liquid toothpaste), brush, tongue scrape, mouthwash. I've never had a cavity.
>>
>>60075254
If you brush the fuck out of them three times a day like a OCD faggot.
Once a day is fine without abusing the gums themselves.
Moderation in all things Anon.
>>
>>60075270
Cost isn't an issue for me but I still don't wanna overpay for something that doesn't work.
>>
>>60075217
enjoy having no teeth in 10 years.
>>
>>60075134
You'll likely just get T3's. That's what I got for my wisdom teeth. For my tonsils a year later I was given liquid morphine (wasn't that great since I had a pretty decent tolerance already from being an IV drug user).
>>
>>60075271
Oh and like others are saying I use soft heads on the brush. The movement alone is what dislodges the gunk, not the force of the bristles. Debris and plaque are squishy so soft bristles are enough. The only time I'd use something hard is against something hard and the goal is to clean my teeth, not remove them.
>>
>>60075217
I almost forgot.
Do not brush every day, you will wear down your enamel.
Also, replace your brush every 2 months, toothbrushes become completely ineffective after regular use because your teeth are polishing the till they become useless and have no abrasive action.
>>
>>60075105
flossing is not a meme. floss and smell it.
>>
>>60075298
>you'll get T3s
I don't think he even prescribes T3s. When I had my bad filling replaced, he gave me Vicodins (I had also developed an abscessed by that point though).

In either case, I'm just going to say codeine makes me feel unusually nauseous and that I really need something for the pain because I'm studying for my GREs (which is true).

>wasn't that great since I had a pretty decent tolerance already from being an IV drug user
Oh man what a bummer. That's why I can't ever do an opiate after a script. I don't want to lose the magic of the nod.
>>
>>60075306
the abrasive action is from the toothpaste not the brush you moron
>>
>>60075297
Your gums need a good vigorous rub every now and again.
Of course, if you're bloodying up your gums 3 times a day and fraying your brush you won't have any teeth in short order.
>>
>>60075311
I did several times and all is fine. What you're smelling is quantity caused by widening the gaps in your teeth. You fucked yourself over by falling for the stereotypical morning routine placed in media.
>>
>>60075330
Not that Anon but it's relative. Relative to the gunk on your teeth, the brush alone is plenty abrasive. Hell you can even wipe much of that crud off with a napkin and your finger. The toothpaste is foremost a detergent to loosen the biofilms which bond more strongly, and secondarily to introduce an abrasive which can work the enamel since brushes obviously can't.
>>
>>60075340
Flossing does two things:
Gets stuck debris out of in between and off the sides of your teeth and stimulates the gums at the base in between teeth. Even if you don't get food stuck (which I don't believe), you'll still want the stimulation on your gums.
>>
File: Fucktardia.jpg (37KB, 510x318px) Image search: [Google]
Fucktardia.jpg
37KB, 510x318px
>>60075105
>>60075193
>>60075217
>>60075238
>>60075306
>>
I didn't want to get braces when I was a kid because they wanted to pull out 2 teeth that wouldn't fit at the front of my mouth.

At least they're healthy~
>>
>>60075102
Do you rape people when sedated?
>>
>>60075399
I use a water pick when I shower. It's basically pressure washing your teeth and works as a flossing method. Tickles the shit outta the gums the first few weeks but then you get used to it. My dentist can't get over how little plaque I have since I started using it a few years ago
>>
>>60075062
Either get a Sonicare or stick with a stiff brush.
>>
File: IMG_4042.jpg (380KB, 1323x1548px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4042.jpg
380KB, 1323x1548px
> tfw used to gargle soda as a kid
> tfw parents never bothered
> tfw that eroded my teeth a little
Did that until my dentist noticed the erosion and asked if I gargled soda, damn, thanks to her I'm not without teeth, but it's pretty yellow and sometimes it hurts when I drink acid juices and shit.

How fucked am I /sci/?
> pic related
>>
>>60075422
brushing with paste every time is actually fucking retarded, it will thin the hardest part of your teeth and make them more susceptible to damage..
i mean, how do you think toothpaste makes your teeth white? It scrapes off the outer layers of enamel.
>>
>>60075102

My wisdom tooth has a decay(hole) in it. Should I just get it filled? or just extracted?
>>
>>60075591
>how do you think toothpaste makes your teeth white?
By scraping off surface depositions. No, toothpaste is not abrasive enough to remove enamel. This is also why toothpaste cannot remove stains which have penetrated into your enamel. For that you need chemical agents which can diffuse into the enamel and break up discoloring molecules therein.
>>
File: IMG_8364.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8364.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Better pic, also, what are those black points on the bottom right? Did I just get caries?
>>
ITT: /g/ argues with an Englishman
>>
>>60075102
And yet there are skeletons that are thousands of years old with all their fucking teeth.

>There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting

Lots of things are possible. They may not, however, provide the workings of a profitable industry and put your kids through college though.

Tldr. I hate know-it-all medical professionals with a authoritarian mindset and speak the beaurocratic wisdom from their topdown no-innovation industry. The whole god damned lot of you can fuck off.
>>
>>60075102
>There is not any possible way to stop from your teeth from rotting
Sure there is. Stop consuming sugary foods and especially drinks, and eat mainly whole, unrefined foods and drink water and your teeth can last a long, long time.
>>
>>60075134
i went for some teeth work recently and they gave me norcos .
>>
>>60075062
brush your teeth every day
don't drink soda drinks and acidic drinks
>>
>>60075699
Your teeth are infinitely better than mine. I'd post a pic but then I'd rather not.
>>
This thread is unsettling - brush once a day, paste is bad, and don't floss? Who the fuck raised you
>>
>>60075983
i brush with a hard brush twice a week and I haven't had any cavities since I was 5
>>
>>60075105
>flossing is a meme
Guy who was lazy on flossing for years here. Most definitely is not a meme as now I have early stages of periodontal disease. No cavities or anything mind you since I brush my teeth once to twice a day. Not flossing will certainly negatively affect your gums. Just because you take care of your teeth doesn't mean your good. Without taking care of your gums you can still lose your teeth. Supposedly that's what happens in late stage periodontitis disease.
>>
>>60076124
Hence use a stiff brush...
>>
take lots of random vitamins we haven't studied because a few trials have shown that some of them cause dentin to regrow, like K2.
>>
>>60076124
probably too much acidity in your diet
that or something's fucking with the bacteria in your mouth which is eating away at/preventing your gums from growing back.
>>
>>60075975
please do it
>>
>>60075699
No one here is a dentist but yes those are most likely carries. Many times it's nothing to worry about, but you can also have a dentist to some surface etching and layer with either composite or sealant depending on the depth.

No sense worrying anon, what's done is done. Just do your best to continue with good habits.
>>
You can always try that European toothpaste with NovaMin that's supposed to really re-mineralize your teeth, it definitely works better than Sensodyne for me at making my teeth less cold sensitive.
>>
>>60075102
I have a crown it's weird as fuck lat year I got it and at times I feel like my crown is going to pop off or something sometimes. I meant we this to the dentist and he felt around and said that it wasn't moving. Yet to this day when I wake up sometimes I feel like the thing is going to come off or move. I don't get it.
>>
>>60075102
Do dentists drill little holes in the enamal of a heatlthy tooth, for future revenue stream?
>>
>>60075062
water picks don't work.. flossing builds callus like digging a ditch does without gloves on a shovel.. it'll strengthen your fucking gums nerd
>>
>>60075558
>> tfw used to gargle soda as a kid
What.
>>
>>60075102
The only way to win is to not play this game.
Im almost 40 and i rarely brush my teeth. I have no cavities, just tartar buildup i clean once 3 months.

What fuck your teeth is the ((tooth paste)) and the brush jews invented.
>>
>>60076406
residual pain from the original removal
your body is trying to oust the fake teeth knowing it's fake
the bloodflow around the fakes are causing the pressure you're feeling
hmm so many ways
>>
>>60076420
assholes tell other assholes that arm n hammer soda or whatever the fuck
will whiten your teeth if you rinse with it.

really it damages your teeth and just isn't worth vanity.
>>
>>60075270
Yes charcoal is a god send for whitening.
>>
>>60075134
Take two aspirins (600mg salicyl, 600mg ibuprofen), refresh every 6 hours as needed, knockouts are for faggots and tend to make it worse anyway (as you won't notice that your dentist fucked up)

If they give you antibiotics they are a fraud, pain and swollenness is pretty natural after hammering, drilling and forcibly removing a tooth

t. Living in a household with oral/maxillofacial surgeons
>>
>>60075217
Enjoy fucking up your gum
>>
File: 1452906351180.png (77KB, 252x340px) Image search: [Google]
1452906351180.png
77KB, 252x340px
>>60076482
>Im almost 40 and i rarely brush my teeth.
Your breath must be so bad. Bet you could choke a moose with it.
>>
>>60075062
Electric toothbrush. I use Oral B Braun but haven't used other ones so I can't say it's the best. But it is WAY better than a normal non electric toothbrush. It does more in 2 minutes than I can with a conventional brush in 5. It's a difference between the dentist saying I need to brush better, and asking how I hardly have anything to scrape even in the hard to reach places everybody has plaque.

Use a SOFT brush head. My dentist always emphasizes this. Stiff brushes tend to damage the teeth more.

Floss. I use plain old store brand waxed floss. I've tried Glide, Reach and unwaxed. It ultimately doesn't seem to make much difference. Use whatever feels better for you. There's also those flosser pick things if you hate regular floss off a spool.

Flossing technique. Be careful to get around both sides of each tooth, not just into and out of the gap between them. It's like get the floss into the gap, then push your fingers back and down to the gum, then up again, forward and back down to the gum. This cleans the narrow pockets between tooth and gum, so they don't grow and you won't need to have a dentist stitch them up later.

Fluoride rinse. My dentist suggested I get some of this stuff when I had a questionable cavity they were going to monitor. Previous to this, I had a cavity that needed filling approximately every two 6-month visits. I've been using it for about 4 years now and haven't had one filling since, not even that pre-cavity they were monitoring.

Grind your teeth at night? Get a night guard. The professional ones are expensive but you can get something almost as good from Amazon for cheap. They come as trays you put in boiling water to soften and then mold around your teeth.

Whitening strips are a maybe. They're really more cosmetic than anything related to actual health. I tried them once and they left my gums kind of sore for a week. I just use the whitening toothpaste.
>>
>>60076656 again
Also brush your tongue. It doesn't have to be anything other than a quick go-over. It helps with bad breath and stops it getting gross.
>>
>>60076406
Sideeffects from the NSA tracking device they planted in your cavity
>>
>>60076654
The yummy smell of cum will override that easily
>>
>>60076482
this
your breath is always going to smell bad no matter what regardless
>>
>>60076573
I see thanks
>>
>>60076665
Wouldn't surprise me.
>>
>>60076664
brushing my tongue causes me to vomit

what do
>>
>>60078061
Get a spare brush for your tongue and don't use toothpaste on it
>>
>>60078061
Don't brush so far back then.
>>
>>60078082
Then I can't brush at all because anything past the very tip causes that
>>
>>60078085
Then don't. It's not vital to your dental health. If you have bad breath, use other methods to combat it like Listerine.
>>
This is the worst fucking thread on 4chan, I checked.
>>
>>60076656
>Flossing
Take your pick from flossing, using toothpicks/softpicks, or interdental brushes. They serve the same purpose, and some people can do better with one tool than the other.

I've been using softpicks for a while now to keep tartar buildup in check, which normally gets quite out of hand. Ever since those picks though I've barely had any tartar buildup.
>>
>>60075105
Dentist larp confirmed
>>
>not brushing with charcoal
>>
>>60075105
>paste every second day

Gross.
>>
>>60075062
DONT LISTEN TO DENTISTS

ITS A SERVICE BASED INDUSTRY

THEY DONT WANT YOU TO KNOW ABOUT NOVAMIN AND RECALDENT FUCK THE DENTISTRY CABAL
>>
>>60075134
Morphine
>>
>>60076015
This.
I used to know a guy who brushed three fucking times a day. His teeth were so fucking weak he chipped the front teeth by biting a towel. Not only that but his teeth were already yellow from rubbing off the enamel.
>>
>>60076586
That's baking soda though, it's not even acidic or sweet.
>>
I found Chinese mint makes plaque fall off your teeth.
Just munch on a leaf or two.
>>
Fuuuuck I just removed my first non-wisdom teeth and it sucked, I am 26, feel retarded as fuck.

Sugar is literally cancer
>>
>>60078493
it's very rough stuff
imagine taking sandpaper against your teeth.
>>
Bros please help. When I was younger I had terrible oral hygiene, I didn't brush for days, and did it poorly when I did. This has caused me to have bad breath my whole life.
This was many years ago and the past few years I've been trying really hard to get rid of bad breath. I use expensive Crest Pro Health paste, and alcohol free Pro Health mouthwash. I brush twice in the morning, scrape my tongue, and use the mouthwash. I do the same at night but only one brush instead of two.
I also chew gum through the whole day.
It's gotten much better but I am not there yet. Probably is still relevant.
>>
>>60078396
What did he mean by this?
>>
>>60075062
I've never learned the nitty gritty about how teeth operate and how things affect them. Does enamel grow back? I see certain mouthwashes being advertised as strengthening enamel. Does that mean enamel regenerates?

What about calcification? If there's a way to get rid of that it would be nice.

And what's all this about fluoride? What does it actually do? I know it helps teeth and whatnot, but I'd like to know by what mechanism this is accomplished.

Lastly, what's the name of the strain of bacteria in our mouths? Where does it even come from?

Oh yeah, I lightly chipped my front tooth today and now it hurts a bit when I bite things. I ask all who have experienced such a thing to share their solution.
>>
>>60075062
The problem is when the PH of the saliva gets very low or acidic which corrodes the tooth enamel.
Cum has high PH.
So suck some cock you faggot OP in order to balance PH in your mouth, you fag.
>>
Amazing (ly bollocks) thread
Phillips vibrating sonic card toothbrush pretty good
Humans are supposed to spend their lives chewing tough materials but as we instead live on baby-food and cake our gums contract and teeth crowd, chew plastic bottle caps or get braces in later life to adjust for this modern change in our lifestyle, giving space between your teeth with vastly lower the likelihood of inter-dental cavities.
Flossing is fine, there's little evidence to support its use.
Mouthwash and bad breath were literally invented by Listerine to scare people and sell trash, yes people still have bad breath due to a mixture of bad food, bacteria (some of which can't be changed)
Brush your teeth with non-fluoride at night because consumption of this heavy metal poison causes brain, bone and unborn-developmental defects.
Brush with a flouride toothpaste in the morning but rinse thoroughly and don't swallow anything. Our modern lifestyle teeth need the hardening assisted by flourification, it binds with calcium.
Metal fillings are full of mercury which is still poisonous. If you must have fillings then try to maximize composite and ceramic.
Get dental x-rays at-most one pair per decade. I don't need to tell you the effects of ionizing radiation.
The overpolishing meme has some basis. There are various toothbrushes for various purposes. Research it.
Teeth can repair themselves. If you teeth are carefully cleaned and no brutalised by shit food and thrice-daily brushing then they work to repairs themselves.
Many pre-refined-sugar civilisations spent their whole lives with perfect teeth, especially Romans. They lived on whole-grains (NOT cereal), fruit, vegetables, some meat. Grow the fuck up, you don't need candy or sugar water.
Drink smoothies through a straw.

Ask me anything. I might answer.
>>
>>60080470
>chew plastic bottle caps
so i'm not the only one who does this
>>
>>60080490
Yeah but plastic heats up when you chew it and many plastics release their chemicals when deformed and or heated.
>>
>>60075155
already available but fucking expensive.

I use philipps sonicare around 35 buck on amazon, best shit ever
>>
>>60075134
my dentist only give me Anti-inflammatory drugs
>>
>>60080137
In 7th grade I chipped my bottom front tooth then I got it bonded. After 9 years the bond fell off and eventually the tooth got infected which causes an abscessed which fucking hurts like a mother fucker and Suboxone did nothing for the pain(Relative to 10mg Morphine Subonxone is 40x stronger).

If you get to this point you'll have to get a Cap put in which is like 3 visits to the dentist and it's a bit painful when they are pulling your gums down to make sure the cap goes into the gum where the "hollow" tooth is. But you'll get a script of Hydrocodone.

I would go in and have them look at the tooth you chipped because it WILL get worse.
>>
I light a cherry bomb in my mouth for full cleaning power .
>>
>>60080955
(2)
I've also never had a cavity or any problems with my teeth besides the chipped tooth. Now you can't even tell the tooth was ever chipped.
>>
>>60075062
Fucking floss your goddamn teeth

t.someone posting from a dental office right now
>>
How about those tongue scrappers?
>>
>>60081040
Most manual toothbrushes have ridges on the back of the head for that purpose.

I got a $10 cleaning kit from a pharmacy chain which included a wider scraping tool, so I just use that instead. It's good if you drink stuff like coffee which discolors your tongue. Comes right off with scraping.

There's also nothing stopping you from gently brushing your tongue either. Just don't go too far back and end up swallowing.
>>
>>60075062

It's genetic, I have partial dentures and missing 6 teeth and I'm early 20's. I have an auto-immune disorder and all my teeth are expected to fall out or be pulled out by my mid-30's and early 40's.
Brushing just keeps it from progressing as quickly but it doesn't prevent it from happening. Some people grow old and never need their teeth replaced just because they have better genetics.
>>
I wasn't expecting /g/ of all places to go Full Orgone on us
>>
>>60081040
Brushing your tongue is a very good thing. Do it every day but not too rough, like any surface biological you can reduce its function with abuse.
>>
>>60080137
>Does enamel grow back?
We're still not there yet
http://www.dentistryiq.com/articles/2015/11/researchers-create-gel-that-regrows-tooth-enamel-eliminates-pain-associated-with-tooth-decay.html
>>
>>60075102
>I'm dentist
I had a tooth decay between two teeth, I went to the dentist and he did his thing.
However the gum between the two teeth still bleed, especially when I floss it.
Any idea?
>>
Dentist here, so much wrong information in this thread.

Dont bother with electric toothbrushes, manual is the best way to brush teeth. Electric toothbrushes are only recommended for people with serious dexterity problems (after stroke etc).

Use soft brush twice a day. Plaque is soft, you dont need to brush hard at all to remove it. Hard brushing can damage gums and possibly enamel. When in doubt, it is much better to brush longer than harder. Make sure you dont miss any surface. Especially evening brushing must be thorough.

Floss at least once every few days (I have no illusions about people doing it every day, lol). Get a floss handle, it is a lot easier and quicker to use especially between distal teeth.

Water flossing is fine but it wont save you if you ignore basic hygiene.

Use fluoride gels (Elmex) once a week if you have problems with cavities. Put on all teeth after thoroughly cleaning them and dont rinse, then go to sleep.

The amount of people who come to my office with teeth half-covered in plaque and then ask me why they have so many cavities is too damn high. If you cant clean your teeth even before coming to a dentist, then what do you expect?

Honestly the worst thing people do is that they dont care about their teeth throughout the day and then expect one brushing to do it. You need to ensure that your teeth are reasonably clean most of the time. That means eating at certain times and not all the time throughout the day, a thorough rinse with warm water after every meal, try to eat veggies after every meal, not only is it healthy in general but it helps to clean teeth from sticky food.. you get the idea.

>>60075699

it is very hard to tell from that pic but Id say it may be pigment and not caries
>>
File: 1480597718136.jpg (168KB, 1600x1456px) Image search: [Google]
1480597718136.jpg
168KB, 1600x1456px
>>60081108
>tfw my family also all have issues with teeths
>My Dad is 50 and is missing all his top front ones
>>
File: 678af84cddb75d5e839529d57034f52.jpg (233KB, 850x1210px) Image search: [Google]
678af84cddb75d5e839529d57034f52.jpg
233KB, 850x1210px
>>60081720
>brush twice a day
I always read it's better to brush before meal than brush after meal.
Is that true?
And can you answer this?>>60081439
>>
>>60081720
On my far back lower molar, whenever I bite down on some small bit of hard food, I get extreme pain, but when the dentist pokes or presses down on it with the thin needle instrument, I can barely feel it. He's put a filling over but that didn't help. I actually had no problems until a filling was put there. What's my problem?
>>
>>60081720
Please read this dentist bro >>60079926
>>
>>60075791
Generally skeletons don't keep their teeth in a warm, wet environment with a constant supply of nutrition to keep the bacterial colonies going.
>>
>>60081760
Not that anon, but you should brush after meals to unclog the bits of food that can break down into sugars or acidic substances that will wear away at your teeth or generate harmful bacteria.

The catch is, you should rinse and wait a bit after eating to do so, because if you brush right after drinking coffee for instance, you will be brushing while the teeth are already weak from acid and maybe affecting your enamel.

>>60081763
Again, not dentist-kun, but is it a composite filling? Sometimes they prep the area where they are going to lay the composite down with some sensitivity thing and then place the composite. He may be able to scrape down the composite so your bite doesn't trigger it, but your jaw is probably providing much more force than the dental instrument.
>>
>>60079926
maybe the only thing worse than chewing gum is chewing ice
if you must chew gum, chew the sugarless kind sweetened with sorbitol
it may still pull your fillings out, but at least it won't contribute to decay
>>
>>60081760

>I always read it's better to brush before meal than brush after meal.

Not true. However it is not recommended to brush right after a meal if the food was acidic, because then the enamel is softened up. Best way is to rinse after a meal, wait 20 minutes until the teeth remineralize, and then brush. This is also where your misconception comes from.

>>60081439

hard to say just based on a post but bleeding is a sign of inflammation often from food debris remaining somewhere in between. Ask your dentist about it.
>>
>>60081842
I chew 5 gum, they don't have sugar I think. It says that at least.
>>
>>60081805
>composite filling

Yeah. I can feel a tinge if I scrap the top of the tooth with my fingernail too. Is it really just a bite issue?
>>
File: 36a9ba786bbb23123e36808ddd78effc.jpg (172KB, 715x1000px) Image search: [Google]
36a9ba786bbb23123e36808ddd78effc.jpg
172KB, 715x1000px
>>60081805
>>60081846
I drink a lot of Soft drinks, what's best way to protect my teeth from decay?
Do I treat it the same as coffee? rinse my teeth then drink another one?

Also is it true that chewing gum very helpful for the health of the teeth?

>tfw there's no cute big breasted dentist to fix your teeth
>>
>>60081763

pain on biting can have many causes - caries, bad filling, filling too high, dying/dead tooth, cracked tooth.. impossible to tell just based on a text post
>>
Phillios sonicsre essence is 20 bucks on amazon
>>
>>60081904

>I drink a lot of Soft drinks, what's best way to protect my teeth from decay?
>Do I treat it the same as coffee? rinse my teeth then drink another one?

yes, rinse after every soft drink, use water or fluoride mouthwash without alcohol, the goal is simply to make sure enivironment in mouth is not acidic for as long as possible

>Also is it true that chewing gum very helpful for the health of the teeth?

Chewing gum may help a bit with keeping teeth clean but it is also bad for temporomandibular joint and wears down teeth over time. Overall it is not recommended or recommended only ocassionally.

Human teeth are not supposed to chew for more than half an hour a day.
>>
>>60081846
>food debris remaining somewhere in between
i forgot to mention that there's a gap between the two teeth, after the filling.
Is this normal? it collect some foods and makes cleaning it very difficult.
Could that be the cause?
>>
>>60079926
floss. the bits food that get stuck under the gum line that brushing cant get out stinks up your breath. go to dentist and get a deep cleaning to get started.
>>
>>60078061
try a tongue scraper
>>
>>60082037
Thanks friend. Hopefully I can get a deep cleaning this weekend, also going to buy floss. Any other recommendations?
>>
>>60082024

hard to clean gap is almost certainly the cause
>>
File: 1431183294540.jpg (110KB, 552x364px) Image search: [Google]
1431183294540.jpg
110KB, 552x364px
>>60075062
>Any recommendations for water picks / electronic toothbrushes?
As far as electric toothbrushes go, just about every dentist will have their own special snowflake recommendation. They will push something hard if they actually selling the things as a service.

Oral irrigators are a mixed bag. The most common one is the Waterpik followed by the SonicFloss. They don't do a great job. Your best best is to get used to flossing or find floss picks that work for you. Your dentist will poopoo picks, but eventually acquiesce if you say regular flossing doesn't work well for you.

You can't avoid dental problems outright, only mitigate it. The best bang for the buck is proper technique and brushing twice a day. More is a waste, less will leave you with small cavities on your semi-annual checkup.
>>
>>60081439
>the gum between the two teeth still bleed, especially when I floss it.
gently see-saw the floss in between your teeth snapping it in hurts your gums
scrape teeth clean; avoid scraping gums
see-saw the floss out from between your teeth
>>
>>60075791
>skeletons that are thousands of years old with all their fucking teeth
back then, maximum life expectancy was 35 to 40 years at best
comparing to modern life span of 70 to 80 years is faulty
>>
I eat a lot of pic related and it stick to the surface of my teeth.
Even if I try to brush it, it stay there.
Is this a sign of cavity? or it's normal?
>>
>>60082210
>gently see-saw the floss in between your teeth
With pressure to the teeth surface?
Also what do I do if it snap on it's own? since my teeth are so packed up.
>>
>>60076629
Antibiotics for teeth work is just in case. You really don't want an infection in your mouth.
>>
>>60075062
aliexpress has cheap electric toothbrushes and tooth brush heads. Work better than brand name OralB too, they spin like 3x faster.

Never checked them for water picks.
>>
This is an odd question for dentistfags.
Are there certain contra-indications for dental procedures?
Such as if a patient is hypertensive? Diabetic? assuming both are uncontrolled?
Or if he have certain diseases such as HIV or Hepatitis B/C?
>>
>>60081874
It could be.

>>60081904
Stop drinking soda is the only way really. Once you go some time without it you won't really want it anymore anon.

Diogenes said something along the lines of hunger providing a cheap and tasty seasoning and thirst making water taste better. If you abstain, you will learn to again appreciate the simplicity of water.
>>
I've been saying for years that we need a /med/ board, instead we got another /d/, another /lit/, another /pol/ and an exclusive pay only board.
>>
>>60075102
I'm a dentist also and this statement is generally bullshit. Aging does affect teeth and gums but to say that it's impossible to keep your own teeth is ridiculous.

>>60082520
To answer your question; it depends. Uncontrolled hypertension would probably be a contraindication for any dental treatment depending on what the patient's blood pressure was and what medications they are on, if any. Uncontrolled diabetes would probably be a contraindication for any surgical treatment. HIV and Hep C are infection control concerns but if the patients are medically stable otherwise and proper infection control standards are observed then there generally wouldn't be any reason they couldn't receive treatment.
>>
>>60082948
Thanks.
What would be the cut out ranges, for uncontrolled hypertension and diabetics?
160/100 for hypertension and 250 mg/dl for diabetes?
>>
>>60082520
not really
the dentist will tailor procedures to fit special conditions
some drugs, (e.g.aspirin therapy, fosamax) may have to be discontinued for a while before dental work
>>
>>60075062
get enough calcium
no matter what you do.
>>
>always get gag effect from toothpaste
>brush teeth with water daily
>floss every 2-3 days
>scrape tongue daily
>chew bubblegum that's supposed to be good for your teeth daily
>drink 1-3 cans of coke every day
>20+ years of this
>only 2 holes in teeth

If I had a partner I'd brush like a normal person just to keep fresh for kisses~
>>
>>60082990
It varies depending on who you ask and what the situation is (how much of a dental emergency) but most dentists would be uncomfortable treating a patient with a diastolic pressure over 100. 100 is generally the cut-off point for any elective treatment but like I said, there's no hard and fast number that would tell the dentist that someone should/shouldn't be treated. Stress from being in pain from a tooth, fear of being at the dentist, rushing to make it to the appointment in time -- these are all reasons that could cause a spike in blood pressure, so all of that stuff has to be weighed out.

Usually if someone is on the borderline of full blown uncontrolled hypertension (160/100) then you'd ask the patient to get clearance from their physician or speak to the physician yourself and tell them the situation, ask if they're fit for treatment, any special precautions needed, etc. A lot of times a dentist is the first person to even catch hypertension because many people don't get their blood pressure checked and don't experience any symptoms.

250mg/dl is high. 200 mg/dl is the generally accepted cutoff for elective surgery. The concern here is post-surgical wound healing. If blood sugar is constantly in the 250-300 range then infection from even a routine dental extraction becomes a huge concern.
>>
>>60075134
make sure they suture that shit closed
i hear anon stories where you just have a gaping hole and it gets infected
>>
Like 70% of my brushing time is spent on the tongue.
>>
>>60075699
not a dentist but if you get some black lines or spots on your molars and such its probably an arrested cavity. basically a cavity that has stopped being cavitous
>>
Fact: 70% of cavities dentists say need filled don't really need filled.
>>
>>60083426
>arrested cavity
Is that a real thing?
>>
>>60083518
Yeah cops pull up and jump into your mouth to arrest the bad guys, the cavities.
>>
>>60082412
Potato starch is the worst shit you can eat. It's high in sugar and very adhesive. It's pretty normal for it to stick to your teeth but you should probably brush after eating.
>>
>>60083551
They call it cavity searches.
>>
File: you....jpg (312KB, 817x660px) Image search: [Google]
you....jpg
312KB, 817x660px
>>60083592
>>
>>60083518
basically your tooth's enamel naturally defends the tooth and the dentin that is underneath the enamel (the actual tooth) bulks up and thickens to defend itselt
>>
I don't take very good good care of my teeth and it's so embarassing.

I'll probably need dentures by 35.
>>
>>60083148
Brushing teeth gives chills down my spine. Also, when i hear others brushing IRL or on TV I get the chills down my spine.
>>
I just use some oral B brush.

It is more important to brush on the regular then spending money on an expensive shit and not using it enough.

I also have a waterpik (picked one up at costco) it is pretty gud.
I fucking hate flossing with dental floss so fucking much, the waterpik is a life saver in that regard makes shit so much easier.

dental pain is the worst, but cavities and say root canals are not the end of the world.
I had to get a root canal because of some random infection in my root :/
>>
>>60075062
buy some interdental brushes and use it every day
>>
>>60083752
This and stop drinking fucking sugary drinks
>>
Dear retards,
The reason you have fucked up teeth is because you drink acidic sugary drinks that don't allow your natural protective saliva to coat and protect your teeth.

If you have problems with bleeding gums/food stuck in between teeth use an interdental brush daily and visit the dentist every 6 months. Brush your teeth correctly daily and don't buy into memes like waterpik.
>>
>>60082936
moot didn't want people taking harmful medical advice from 4chan users

hiro might not care, go bug him
>>
>>60083461
Fact: You don't know what you're talking about.

>>60083674
Change your ways anon.

>>60083871
Waterpiks are actually pretty cool for people that have a lot of difficult to clean prosthetic implants, bridges etc, but normal, healthy people shouldn't really need them.
>>
>>60082388
>back then, maximum life expectancy was 35 to 40 years at best
Because of infant mortality you fucking retard
>>
>>60084300
i said maximum, shitwit, not average
infant mortality has nothing to do with that
>>
>>60083871
What do you drink when browsing /g/ then?
>>
>>60084361
Well then that's absolutely fucking wrong
>>
>>60084253
>moot didn't want people taking harmful medical advice from 4chan users
Yet we still have several medical advices floating around and several guides for various kinds of activities.
While a complete board for it might be too much, a thread on /sci/ should do.
Janitors delete those though.
Knowledge should be free.
>>
>>60084704
every thread will be a goddamn general for every unhealthy meme perpetuated on this site, steroids, starving yourself to fit in girl clothes, etc.
>>
>>60084787
Those meme are already on /fit/ and /lgbt/
There are some threads that would be decent.
>medfags stories
>med techniques/skills
>differential diagnosis
>med resources and career choices
>>
File: All-On-4-DIAGRAM_medium.jpg (117KB, 1200x894px) Image search: [Google]
All-On-4-DIAGRAM_medium.jpg
117KB, 1200x894px
>>60083674
me too.
40 now and my front teeth are about to start falling out.

need to spend $30k+ on implants
>>
>the horrors of growing old
>>
learn about dental tubule flow and saliva production. each affect oral health that dentists may or may not know. most dentists only know what school teaches and how to profit
>>
>>60075062
The round rotary head ones like oral b or the knockoffs of it is the type that is proven to remove more plaque than a regular brush. Also they won't make your gums recede as you age as much as vigorous brushing with a regular brush. Water piks aren't as good as floss but I overheard my dentist recommending using a waterpik to blast gumline with (regular brown old school) listerine for gingivitis.
>>
What's your age and how many filling you have?
>27 yo
>3 fillings
For some reason all my teeth get broken, nit enough calcium I guess.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.