[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to buy laptops with libre firmware in Argentina?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

File: 0071.jpg (48KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
0071.jpg
48KB, 600x398px
Title self explanatory. I need a laptop with libreboot and that can work with only linux-libre. If it can use GNU Hurd that will be fucking great.
>>
>>60067392
Cheapest option is buy the flashing equipment yourself (~$80). Otherwise you can buy pre-librebooted laptops on eBay.
>>
>>60067435
I was hoping to find a store nearby so I can buy more equipment in the future. But yes, doing it myself is the last option.
>>
>>60067392
Buy an used Thinkpad T420 and install Libreboot yourself.
>>
>>60067472
Maybe this what I will do at the end, but hopefully I am lucky and someone knows a store nearby.
>>
https://fsf.org/ryf

Vikings and Libiquity both sell the X200 and it looks like Vikings ships worldwide. Minifree stopped selling X200 and T400 and now just takes preorders for X220, which I think doesn't quite meet the RYF standard.
>>
>>60067589
Thanks
>>
File: white.jpg (35KB, 640x512px) Image search: [Google]
white.jpg
35KB, 640x512px
>>60067462
No it's not. It's your first option unless you get the laptop to go through customs without them ripping you a new asshole in the process.
I'm curious, why do you need a libreboot laptop? Also what model are you eyeballing?
>>
>>60067662
I meant a local store, that way I am safe from customs. I need the laptop for everything, will install a stripped down distribution (and stripped down kernel) and I need it safe to still do stuff on it.

The x200 seems like my best option so far.
>>
>that can work with only linux-libre.
Why?
>>
>>60067855
Nobody trust proprietary firmware
>>
>>60067392
I done it in the most nig-rigged way possible.
>Buy used T400
>Follow disassembly instructions
>use individual strands of cat5e cable to wrap around the relevant pins on the bios chip
>crocodile clip them onto jumper wires into the beaglebone
>read the existing bios 6 times because my method of connecting to the chip is so shit
>Flash libreboot shit
>Try to get the mangled wires off the chip
>reassemble
>Just Werks (TM)
I also compiled the libreboot for source, which was a nightmare, cause there were compile errors on some of the shit code.
I had a beaglebone black that i used for flashing the chip.

If I can get the photos, I'll post them
>>
>>60067939
I have an odroid, might look into this
>>
>>60068066
>>60067939
Can't learn without fucking shit up.
Currently trying to charge MotoG (2nd gen) which no longer has a USB port (to get the images I promised). Will keep you guys updated
>>
>>60067435
Can't you just use a USB to serial converter (which is like 5€), and flash it from a desktop.
The only other things you need are jumper wires, and a SOIC clip, and the SOIC clip is optional if you aren't averse to nigrigging.
I say you can buy the equipment for less than 10€, if you are super cheap
>>
>>60067771
>I need the laptop for everything
If you're going to rely on this machine then obviously don't use hacked-together unofficial unsupported firmware on it... that would be incredibly stupid.
>>
> Argentina
> White
>>
>>60068345
Cross my mind using a UART
>>
>>60067771
>>60068374
Freedom is worth the risk OP
>>
>>60068422
Just need to make sure it's 3.3v, and not 5v.
Well, that was the case for the chip I was flashing anyway
>>
>>60068439
This
>>
>>60067392
Libreboot sucks. I have a x200 but all the keys on the keyboard don't function in the libreboot menu. I'm now flashing older libreboot versions to see if any work.
>>
>>60068466
Only a external usb keyboad works. Also libreboot doesn't detect my usb stick when installing a distro. What libreboot version works with the x200?
>>
The best option is currently a T500/400/X200 and using a Raspberry Pi or something to flash it yourself.
Will run you a lot less than buying a pre-flashed one.
Plus if/when they figure out the T420/X220 situation you can get a used one of those and flash it yourself.
Honestly if it's not pressing I'd wait a bit and see if that situation pans out before buying anything.
>>
I now understand why thinkpads are so popular
>>
File: nig_charger.jpg (2MB, 4096x2304px) Image search: [Google]
nig_charger.jpg
2MB, 4096x2304px
>>60068523
Ah, careful using the RPI to flash it, I'm sure the RPI is 5v serial, whereas flashing the chips requires 3.3v for most.
FYI flashing T400 with Beaglebone black worked fine for me.

>>60068169
Pic related is my MotoG currently charging with the ole-reliable cat5 cable strands soldered directly onto the phones MOBO.
Ignore most of the shit on the breadboard, 5v and ground are the only things that are going to the phone

>>60068553
The unfortunate thing is Intel ME can't be disabled on more modern hardware, and neither can AMDs alternative. So they literally have a backdoor into your PC, can read directly from RAM etc, and anything they transmit/ receive is encrypted.
>>
>>60068604
True, it's not that hard to find the proper pinout though, Libreboot even provides documentation for the T60 and X200 with a Pi.
Buying something new for it, the Beaglebone is probably the better option, but I figure most of /g/ has at least one Raspberry Pi already.
>>
This thread made me consumerist
>>
>>60068553
well first two polycarbonate macbook models are 100% compatible with libreboot too
>>
>>60068604
>>60068649
To add to that, it does have a 3.3v output as well.
>>
>>60068649
Beaglebone is expensive as fuck though. If you don't already have an RPI or Beaglebone, just buy a usb-serial converter thing. If you have something that only has 5v serial, you can use a few resistors to create a voltage divider, it will probably work fine.

>>60068676
Hm, was unaware, that's pretty handy actually
>>
File: white_eggs.jpg (457KB, 1600x1065px) Image search: [Google]
white_eggs.jpg
457KB, 1600x1065px
>>60067771
I seriously hope you don't have a facebook account and a smartphone or think you will be safe if you start doing shady shit on this machine but on a fibertel connection.
>>
>>60067392
do it yourself
there is a good guide floating around for the X200 that goes in depth for people that have never done the process

as for GNU Turd I would recommend to stay away unless you're using it for academic/research purposes and don't care about stability. Even Stallman doesn't use it
>>
>>60067589
>, which I think doesn't quite meet the RYF standard
I don't think that we will see any newer hardware conforming to that standard in a very long time

We will need a hardware revolution for it
>>
>>60069484
RISC-V is looking good
>>
>>60068604
No there is a 3.3v pin. I just flashed mine last night! The problem is some of my x200 keyboard keys aren't working in the libreboot menu. Also usb boot doesn't work. I hate it and can't find any help. I'm about to restore my old factory bios.
>>
>>60069543
Ya, some guy corrected me already, pretty cool that they have both.
Stay at it, if it's not worth the 'freedom', it's still worth it for the learning opportunity.
>>
>>60069541
I mean, there are architectures that fit the bill
but getting things ported, encouraging development on the platform, getting market ready hardware

These are large mountains to climb afaik
>>
>>60069574
I flashed coolstar bios on my other chromebook laptop.

I don't know what else to do to the x200. It takes 40minutes to flash because i run flashrom at 128 for stability reasons. The flash isn't corrupted but the built in keyboard isn't working in the libreboot menu. I can't even install a os!
>>
>>60069596
Sure, but it looks like it's gaining a bunch of traction because some of the big companies are getting sick of pissing away their money on paying license fees to the disgusting tranny (ARM)
>>
I know this isn't directly related to the thread but I was hoping that someone with knowledge of electronics could provide input as it's related to firmware flashing.

I have an ipod I'm trying to liberate with Rockbox
I also added a high capacity battery and a msata ssd (using a ZIF to msata adapter)

The ipod works fine with all these additions until I plug in the sync cord to restore the stock OS (so I can flash Rockbox). However, it starts bootlooping when connected to the cord.

This doesn't happen when I have the original HDD with the OS on it connected. The bootlooping also doesn't happen with the new msata installed as long as no cord is connected.

Is this a power problem with my adapter / msata combo? A software problem (does the SSD need a certain formatting scheme)?
>>
>>60069626
USB keyboard?
Didn't some guy above mention it
>>
>>60069657
it's a sad truth that we have to depend on corps to bring any good arch to light
>>
>>60069626
>The flash isn't corrupted but the built in keyboard isn't working in the libreboot menu. I can't even install a os!
I never had this happen to me. IIrc I was running Trisquel off a USB on my first successful flash to verify the integrity of the ROM
>>
>>60069731
O_O - Sorry bud
The libreboot IRC is fairly active, they might be able to suggest something, if you haven't already tried that.
>>
>>60069701
Ya, it's shitty, but it's better than having no alternative.
>>
>>60069883
K I'll check it out after work. Thx anon.

On freenode?
>>
>>60069906
true, the worst thing that sucks is that we have to wait so long to even get our hands on a board to work with since there is no business interest in making them available for general use

the market is fixing that with Chinese putting out the Loongson and others but it's not really latching on because most people don't value freedom and will sit on X86 despite the clear red flags
>>
>>60069916
Yup :) Leah is a Britbong AFAIK, so you might miss her if you are a burger. There is a web client if you don't mind it showing your work IP when you login
>>
>>60069995
Never heard of Loongson before, will read up.
Ya, it's crazy that the things like Intel ME and AMD TEE aren't even newsworthy. There are people who have RISC-V running on FPGAs, which is cool AF, especially if you have an FPGA to try it on, though I'm sure it's almost unusable.
Some of the Sunxi boards are pretty good though, and EOMA68 seems ok, even though there are no open source GPU drivers for the Mali GPU on it.
The ARM Mali source was leaked last week though, so I guess someone could use that, if they aren't worried about getting sued
>>
>>60067392
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1K5jo9gk9LQ

Get a Thinkpad x60?
>>
File: rigged.jpg (49KB, 472x744px) Image search: [Google]
rigged.jpg
49KB, 472x744px
>>60068169
>>60067939

As promised
>>
File: likeanig.jpg (55KB, 472x744px) Image search: [Google]
likeanig.jpg
55KB, 472x744px
>>60070912
This one has better lighting, was taken after a single pin was connected
>>
Don't know about Argentina but here in Chile thinkpads are cheap and plentiful.
>>
>>60069685
Have you searched around? that sounds like a problem with the msata adapter. I guess you should try to put the rockbox image on the ssd before putting that on the ipod.
>>
>>60070912
>>60070972
>>60068604
Thanks anon for posting the pics.
>>
>>60071135
No problem buddy. I'm heading off, have a good night
>>
>>60070972
looks like that would take the SOIC16 clip
it's painful enough flashing with a good clip
I admire your patience
>>
>>60067392
hello white brother
>>
>>60071121
I did but I am having problems finding similar issues because there are so many generic problems populating search results

Maybe I should ask on the IRC

Thanks for your suggestion though. Getting rockbox on the msata beforehand might allow me to further narrow down whether it's software or hardware (most likely the adapter like you said)

That's what I get for buying the first Chink adapter I saw instead of researching what has worked for others in the past
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.