[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Malware Hunts And Kills Poorly Secured Internet Of Things Devices

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: bricked.jpg (112KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
bricked.jpg
112KB, 500x333px
"Attack bots issue a series of commands that wipe device media, corrupt all storage, and disconnect the device from the internet."

http://archive.is/bQmeW
>>
That's way better than what was happening to them before.
>>
>>60067582
5 bucks says the authorities don't even bother going after whoever is running the attack bots.
>>
Jesus! how can i protect my juicer?
>>
>>60067620
http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/Operating-Systems/Linux-Distributions/Pear-Linux-76309.shtml
>>
>>60067000
>punishes idiocy

that's ok by me, senpai.
>>
File: ?.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
?.png
53KB, 256x256px
>>60067000
but where do the attack bots come from?
>>
>>60069235
When a mommy and daddy attack bot love eachother very much ..
>>
sounds like a public service
>>
>>60067000
These people are literally saving human society.
>>
DOES THIS MEAN MY TOASTER WILL BE HELPING THOSE COMMUNIST BASTARDS? FUCK OBAMA, GOOD THING TRUMP WILL M A K E A M E R I C A G R E A T A G A I N
>>
>>60067000
Good. Fuck IoT. My thermostat doesn't need a fucking attack surface that could render me vulnerable to viruses that could realistically freeze my fucking pipes in the winter and destroy my house.
>>
File: 1458043924416.jpg (110KB, 759x508px) Image search: [Google]
1458043924416.jpg
110KB, 759x508px
>>60072203
>Install """smart""" thermostat
>It gets bricked by attackbot
>All heating turns off
>Freeze to death

T-thanks ..
>>
So it's doing a public service? Why is this a punishable offense again?
>>
>>60069235
Software saints doing society a favoue by making IoT die.
>>
>>60067000
Interview with the guy who made the attack bots

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/brickerbot-author-claims-he-bricked-two-million-devices/
>>
>>60072259
I don't use a """smart""" thermostat at all, what I would love to happen would be for there to be a virus that killed all IoT hardware immediately making it totally unprofitable to sell so people stop fucking producing it. I don't want to ever buy a house that has a smart thermostat, and sometimes it's impossible to tell until it's too late and your property is destroyed.
>>
>>60069235

they are playing 10D fiddlesticks

"IoT" is a term coined by semiconductor companies. They all use the same terminology in application notes/advertising/datasheets. IEEE is the place where these multinational megacorp semiconductor manufacturers get together to play 5d chess.

You see standards come out of IEEE, mainly ZigBee, that deal explicitly with the security of IoT SoCs. Yet the Mirai botnet proved that they were hackable in a worst case scenario way. Also anybody who has been a scanner monkey using shodan.io knows that networking gear continues to have shit security (default passwords) even though they come from reputable companies (Cisco, etc...).

The NSA is using the multinational corps of US and allied electronics hubs like Taiwan, Singapore, Hong Kong, to get a leg up in a cyperpunk arms race against China by engineering exploits into products.

It makes sense because China has already done it in the past. They want/need to match this capability or risk getting pwned by the Chinks

https://www.extremetech.com/computing/133773-rakshasa-the-hardware-backdoor-that-china-could-embed-in-every-computer
>>
>>60072707
So according to your bullshit conspiracy theory, they're putting vunlerable IoT devices out there so whoever the fuck wants to get their hands on them can do so? And this will somehow combat China? Fucking brilliant logic there.
>>
>>60074581

Imagine if these products get used:

you could raise all kinds of hell. It would be like stuxnet.
>>
>>60072165
Have you ever noticed ur toaster getting hot? It's the chinks farming bitcoins
>>
Who fucking cares.
>>
I was waiting for someone to do this, I'm glad it's happening, this meme of connecting everything to the internet must die.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.