[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An indestructible floppy disk; does it exist? Not counting on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_3966.jpg (119KB, 600x636px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3966.jpg
119KB, 600x636px
An indestructible floppy disk; does it exist?

Not counting on it, but the idea just popped into my head and now I want one badly for no logical reason at all.
>>
File: MiniDisc.jpg (39KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
MiniDisc.jpg
39KB, 500x479px
Floppy? No, not possible.

But MiniDiscs could have been the replacement if not for Sony being fucking stupid yet again with a fantastic product and just screwing everything up.

Damned things were close to indestructible within reason, and it's a damned shame Sony fucked it all up so badly.
>>
>>60064829
Damn, I remember those things when I had a PSP.
>>
>>60064797
Anything can be destroyed with the right tools OP.
>>
>>60064829
MO-Disks were also pretty nice.
>>60064861
You're thinking of UMDs.
>>
File: UMD.jpg (161KB, 495x492px) Image search: [Google]
UMD.jpg
161KB, 495x492px
>>60064861

PSP didn't use MiniDiscs, it used yet another Sony fuckup (they could have used MiniDiscs but no, Sony had to develop yet another proprietary format).

Hence, this came into existence, the Universal Media Disc - the name alone is utterly ridiculous considering there's absolutely nothing universal about it. MiniDiscs could have been the true universal format but Sony pooched it, didn't make an affordable data drive (they did make one but it was $1500+ just for the drive), and because they fucked up Iomega introduced the Zip drive a few months later and that was the ball game.

Sony, you fucking idiots.
>>
>>60064892

MiniDiscs are MO (Magneto-Optical) by design, they weren't the first however, that was the T.H.O.R. media concept hardware about a decade before even MiniDiscs came into existence.
>>
>>60064907
>Sony, you fucking idiots.
the common 3.5" microfloppy design that lasted so long (pictured in OP) was extended from a sony design
at least that got that right
>>
File: 21293.jpg (39KB, 600x603px) Image search: [Google]
21293.jpg
39KB, 600x603px
>>60064797
Hi
>>
>>60064907
>the name alone is utterly ridiculous considering there's absolutely nothing universal about it.
i'm assuming they're referring to the fact it was designed with multiple media types in mind
that is, it's not "just audio", "just video" or "just software"

CD and DVD, while obviously capable of those, weren't initially designed for all of them

just my guess, i can't imagine sony would seriously have imagined UMD taking hold as a home video format, just being smaller than DVD wouldn't have done anything, it's still just DVD-resolution video (AVC, instead of MPEG2, though considering the smaller capacity, that just makes things more even, rather than an advantage)
>>
>>60064797
>indestructible

Define "indestructible." In the literal sense, of course not. For practical purposes ... describe what you are thinking of.

I recommend quality SDHC or micrSDHC cards. Write once, you never have to erase or rewrite if you don't want to, and the data will remain exceptionally secure by all removable media standards available to civilians. Military gear is something else.
>>
>>60065507
Practically indestructible, of course.
>>
>>60065507
This; I heard that you SD and microSD cards can handle a ton of abuse and come out readable.
>>
>>60065400
The disk maybe, but the drive is another story.
>>
>>60065809
OP didn't ask for the drive. Just the diskette.
>>
>>60065770
Especially if you put them in some sort of protective case.
>>
>>60065507
In the literal sense, a system of black holes would be pretty indestructible.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.