[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Exoskeletons and the future of manual labor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: Big-Arm-1.2b-2048x1366.jpg (150KB, 2048x1366px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Arm-1.2b-2048x1366.jpg
150KB, 2048x1366px
Let us discuss in a civilized and in true /g/entleman fashion, the future of manual labor and the possible rise of exoskeletons.

Recently a company called Sarcos came up with a Work In Progress exoskeleton for manual work "http://www.sarcos.com/products/guardian-xo/", it made me wonder about the future of hard manual workers like ship builders, heavy industry, steel carpenters, oil drillers, are companies once the price becomes affordable buy into these exoskeletons and see a rise in productivity thus eliminating part of the workforce or will they just leave it as is?

At first i didn't even know about this company but then i remembered a video from back in 2013 about one of their big toys called "Guardian™ GT" seems like it could have some practical applications, but i also think companies are gonna make the workers 100% responsible for any scratch the suit is gonna have at the end of the year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpsEFUQngeU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ukdulC3yo_0

what are your thoughts /g/??

i am lonely please talk to me
>>
File: Big-Arm-3-2048x1152.jpg (280KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Arm-3-2048x1152.jpg
280KB, 2048x1152px
>>60054610
Really?

Nobody??
>>
>>60054610
With extreme heavy lifting yes, with typical object lifting no.
>>
>>60054610
buying isn't the only issue here.

They need a lot of really good maintenance for security reasons, because they are basically robots in direct contact with people.

Also manufacturers have a lot of liability on their part. I would personally think the insurance/liability pressure on it will be too high to be more than a niche product for quite some time.
>>
>>60054890
You probably could have the controls be much further away and use a VR headset to minimize risk.
Strap one of these monsters with a lidar system and some computer vision and you have a autonomous killing machine.
>>
File: Detail2-2048x1152.jpg (174KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Detail2-2048x1152.jpg
174KB, 2048x1152px
>>60054890
i completely overlooked the maintenance and risk aspect, i was under the impression that when this shit gets made, it has to be the toughest most durable top shelf tip top quality materials and labor.

but i guess you are right.

>>60054719
i mean my dad had a team of construction workers and it would take them quite a lot of time to build the Scaffolding around the building, and exoskeleton would have helped them greatly.
>>
File: Detail3-2048x1152.jpg (230KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Detail3-2048x1152.jpg
230KB, 2048x1152px
>>60055039
Bot open bay door

I'm sorry,anon. I'm afraid I can't do that.

fug
>>
>>60054890
For this kind of things leasing is a good deal, you basically rent the machine to avoid the high price and the aftermarket maintenance, the company will pay its costs by putting on yearly contracts and this will guarantee stable incomes for both sides. As I like this kind of freedom they could even decide to sell the product (maybe cheaper versions) to smaller clients.
I think the software here is more of a problem, and yes it would need a lot of maintenance but not for security problems, just put on it a series of sensors, once one fail it blocks in its position
>>
File: Big-Arm-4-2048x1152.jpg (182KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
Big-Arm-4-2048x1152.jpg
182KB, 2048x1152px
so that's how it's gonna be

rise of exoskeletons, tons of low skill job people are put out of work

half a century goes with improvements every year

rise of complete automation, company that sold the exoskeletons now sell the full skeleton to fill in the machine so they don't have to make a new machine

it's fucking genius
>>
cousin business is a boomin'

http://exoskeletonreport.com/2015/02/businesses-that-have-or-are-exploring-exoskeleton-products-in-alphabetical-order/
>>
>>60054610
so all the costs pf automation without any benefits?
>>
>>60055379
basically yes.

since automation still can't do what a human can do , YET
>>
>>60054610
I would love a completely insulated mechanical hand. Working with rubber gloves sucks ass getting shit off sucks so bad and dropping things when your 45ft off the ground isn't any fun either.
>>
>>60054610
By the time the battery tech catches up to these things we probably could have full on robots. I do see a use for these in disaster relief zones and such.
>>
>>60057172
> I do see a use for these in disaster relief zones and such.

yeah they were talking about fukushima, they also have a smaller dildo like bot that can sneak inbetween small openings, and does a 3d scan of the road is seeing
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.