[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

System76 announces "Phase 3": In-house designs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 32e3372.png (175KB, 646x220px) Image search: [Google]
32e3372.png
175KB, 646x220px
http://blog.system76.com/post/159767214983/entering-phase-three

>Up to this point we’ve developed every capability, capital wise, that an organically grown hardware company can. We can make careful and deliberate choices about hardware and our product line. We can customize all parts of the software stack from the firmware level to the Ubuntu experience. We can deliver bleeding edge hardware and guarantee System76 computers will work with future Ubuntu releases.

>Today, we can’t design and manufacture our products. We outsource this work. It’s similar to how Tesla used a Lotus chassis for their first car. (Like their Roadster, the outside of our computers might look similar to others but it’s the inside that counts.) The strategy was cash efficient and allowed us to focus on developing high value areas of the company. However, knowing what we wanted to build but without the means to do so left us constantly yearning for more.

>Phase three moves product design and manufacturing in house. We’re about to build the Model S of computers. Something so brilliant and beautiful that reviewers will have to add an 11 to their scores. Being that we’re System76 and we do things the System76 way, our design principles are polar opposite of the rest of the industry.

>Our CAD work will be Open Source and our design will pay tribute to computer science.

>We’re starting with desktops. There’s a lot to learn and the form factor is easiest to work with. Both design and CAD work are well along their way. We’re prototyping with acrylic and moving to metal soon. Our first in-house designed and manufactured desktops will ship next year. Laptops are more complex and will follow much later.

>It’s going to take some years, but by the end of phase three, we’ll be able to create anything. We’ll apply our unique computers for creators perspective to every aspect of our products.
>>
Call me when it's cheaper than buying a WC and putting Linux on it myself.
>>
>>60049624
>being poor
>>
>>60049584
>Laptops are more complex and will follow much later.

Let me know when you get there m80's
>>
>>60049584

Nobody cares about desktops. I want open source laptop.
>>
>>60053051
You can't get jets until they figure out how to build props.
>>
>>60049584
While I'm not the market for prebuilts I'm interested in where they might end up. Particularly about them making their own laptops. Their most recent one actually looks pretty appealing even though it's still a clevo so if they can continue improving from there I can see them becoming pretty popular.
>>
>>60049584
inb4 they go bust making the system76 phone.
>>
>>60054195
>I'm interested in where they might end up.
Same here. I can definitely see myself replacing my current case if I like what they're doing though.
>>
Christ, their website is horrible.
>>
>>60054649
The case market seems to be pretty cut throat though. Other than aesthetics and niche cases there isn't much room to innovate.
>>
>>60055045
True, but having the cad files public under a copyleft license would be nice.
Of course getting "updates" isn't as simple as with software and I doubt that they sell single parts you can order and exchange without having to buy the whole case.

Still, I would love to see development going in that direction.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.