[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on small terminal-based text editor called micro? Or

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: micro.png (36KB, 657x418px) Image search: [Google]
micro.png
36KB, 657x418px
Thoughts on small terminal-based text editor called micro?

Or the communities of emacs and vim are too strong?
>>
>>60046279
>Thoughts on small terminal-based text editor called micro?
>Or the communities of emacs and vim are too strong?
Vim community is too strong
>>
Forgot the link: https://micro-editor.github.io/
>>
>>60046279
It's just another text editor that a handful of people use. Right up there with ne, Joe, nano and so on.
>>
>>60046759
>nano
>handful of people

You realize it is the most used terminal editor, bar none, right?
>>
>>60046759
>nano
nano is the most popular editor, asshole.
literally everyone uses it when they ssh to another machine, besides the vim autists.
>>
>>60046279
Why would anyone use a terminal-based editor over a GUI-based editor?
>>
>>60046279
Why? I mean if there's a way to create a minimal vim-like editor in the config that might be a decent alternative. Looks like probly not.

>>60046906
because GUIs aren't universal and if there's any features to learn you're going to have to learn them in two places rather than one.

Of course most editors have a perfectly good gui mode too.
>>
>>60046906
me? -- only when I have to work with files remotely and I can't or don't want to SFTP
>>
>>60046279
Just use mg

>>60046906
Why would I use a GUI editor over X11 forwarding or scp a file to my desktop/laptop/ edit it, and transfer it back, when I could use a terminal based editor? Plus I don't really see any advantages for a GUI based editor overediting text on the same machine.
>>
>>60046949
>Why would I use a GUI editor over X11 forwarding or scp a file to my desktop/laptop/ edit it, and transfer it back, when I could use a terminal based editor?
What are you exactly complaining about? Do you notice a startup time difference? Does software bloat bother you while using a monolithic kernel?

>Plus I don't really see any advantages for a GUI based editor overediting text on the same machine.
A cursor.
>>
>>60046949
Also, is it true that to this day there are people who develop in emacs? Like how do they integrate gdb, set up breakpoints, watches, organize project files, use code completion and syntax highlighting, search in multiple files and so on? Do they memorize a shortcut for everything?
>>
>>60046996
>What are you exactly complaining about? Do you notice a startup time difference? Does software bloat bother you while using a monolithic kernel?
Reread what I said, maybe you'll figure it out the second time.
>A cursor
I have a cursor in the terminal as well.
>>
>>60046890
>>60046783
I get that more than 'a handful of people' use nano. But what planet are you living on where 'everyone uses it when they ssh to another machine'? The fucking thing doesn't even ship with RHEL/CentOS/EL. Let alone the other countless UNIX and UNIX-like solutions that are in production around the world like Synology DSM and Busybox systems.

If the entire world is contained in the Ubuntu forums and Debian mailing list, then sure. By all means.
>>
>>60047146
Only pajeets use redhat Spyware and Debian ubuntu is standard for rest of the servers. Pajeet.
>>
>>60046279
Badly programmed. It feels very slow and doesn't even have many features.
>>
>>60046949
>just use mg
thank you
>>
>>60046949
>mg
How does it differ from GNU Zile?
>>
>>60048237
there are many different emacsen
>how does it differ from x
http://texteditors.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?EmacsFamily

read about it
>>
>>60047019
that's some weak ass trolling m8
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.