[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there legitimate reasons to be using Gentoo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Gentoo.jpg (19KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
Gentoo.jpg
19KB, 400x400px
Are there legitimate reasons to be using Gentoo?
>>
File: richard-stallman.jpg (18KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
richard-stallman.jpg
18KB, 500x375px
Gentoo is amazing. I can have multiple conflicting versions of packages, or 64 and 32 bit libraries at once. And it's all fine because the programs that depend on specific architectures or specific versions of programs are compiled from source, so portage just links them with the version it knows it depends on.

See https://devmanual.gentoo.org/general-concepts/slotting/ and https://www.gentoo.org/support/news-items/2015-03-28-true-multilib.html

If you've ever had to deal with dependency issues with packages you'll know why this is awesome.

Also being able to manually include (or exclude) certain features from any package or your kernel is extremely useful. For example, I was able to simply remove the SSL heartbeat extension and recompile my packages when the heartbleed vuln came out.

Did I even mention Portage?
>Portage works without any external repo.
>Portage supports using llvm icc etc to build with.
>Portage supports distcc.
>Portage supports slotting of dependencies.(multiple versions of python, ruby, gtk etc)
>Portage supports multiple kernels BSD Fedora debian etc.
>Portage can thread package installs and downloads

Meanwhile, with Arch
>overzealous autistic fan boys
>"you'll learn how Linux REALLY works!" When it's literally just configuring a package manager and letting scripts do the rest
>offers nothing that minimal net installs already offered for other distros don't.
>muh bleeding edge packages!! when you can just install directly from the upstream source in any distro.
>only reason to use it is the aur, which is full of broken and unmaintained packages and isn't monitored at all, most "packages" are just a bash script to download the package and it's install script from GitHub.
>aur is far worse than Open Build Service, which actually lets you package binaries and programs for multiple distros.

there's nothing it offers that makes it worth using over any other distros and it has the worst fucking user base.
>>
compiling shit specifically to your hardware, and custom you install to your own needs.

what kind of stupid fucking question is this
>>
no, macOS exists
>>
>>60043832
I'd like to clear up some erroneous information about where I stand that is circulating on 4chan and perhaps elsewhere.

I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.

More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
>>
USE="-gtk3 -pulseaudio"

i love it
>>
>>60043832
>overzealous autistic fan boys
This is true, but not a reflection of the operating system itself. I think it says something about Arch when it is able to attract idiots like that, but still make them feel like they're smarter.

It's because Arch is "hard" in all the RIGHT ways. It's perfect for Linux beginners. Everything that should be automated or taken care of already is; no need for tedious configuring. The only time the system requires you to learn how to do something is when it is something that you can actually benefit from learning. So you get to become familiar with editing config files, and you become familiar with command tools like vim/nano/cat/less. You learn about formatting and mounting partitions, and what that means. You develop a habit of reading the man pages for programs, as well as reading well-organized documentation. You become familiar with your system without having to dig deeper than the essentials, but you can if you want. It's "hard" in a good way and simple at the same time.

Now, I've installed gentoo and ran it for a couple weeks. I didn't really like it. Everything is so tedious. Compiling everything "specific to your hardware" is especially tedious, especially when the performance boost isn't even noticeable. And I know that you can install binary packages, but that just defeats the purpose of using gentoo in the first place.
>>
>>60043920
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -GPL-3"
I love it
>>
Not many updated distros support i386 nowdays. Gentoo does.
>>
File: 1431618877693.png (999KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1431618877693.png
999KB, 1024x768px
>>60044085
>>
File: 1350495215001.png (4KB, 222x211px) Image search: [Google]
1350495215001.png
4KB, 222x211px
How to compile chromium with emoji support?
>>
>>60043832
I love Gentoo. The things portage can do, like Use flags, are so amazing.
I wish that the other distros had this. I see that someone created ebaulds for the kernel to match the same thats found in other major distros, would it be possible to do something like that and apply portage's features to not just the kernel but all the packages in debian and centos? Like create a portage tree with a rewrite of all the ebuilds to where they match the versions in debian stable, and then do the another tree to match centos?

Unfortunately it seems that Gentoo really needs mare manpower.
I wish more people worked on different things in Gentoo. Some of the ebuilds look like they dont get very much love.

I used to use Gentoo back in the day but it took an excessive amount of time so I switched to Ubuntu LTS for stability. I've been back on Gentoo for awhile now and on a modern compile times are no longer an issue. And since I know more than I did back then I realize also a lot of time I waste because really I was doing stupid things like unfiltering compiler flags I didnt understand.
>>
File: smugIndex.jpg (18KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
smugIndex.jpg
18KB, 249x249px
>>60044222
>he doesn't purely use chrome on iPhone with automated emojis by enabling location tracking
>>
>>60043810
PowerPC
>>
>>60044381
>that hardware
>that compile time
I refuse to believe that people do this
>>
>>60044271
>Unfortunately it seems that Gentoo really needs more manpower

If you're a developer, you can contribute. Open-source :^)
>>
>>60044085
Why is this allowed?
>>
>>60043810
https://iwf1.com/5-reasons-use-gentoo-linux/
>>
chromium and webkit-gtk are reasons to hate gentoo. Fuck that shitty un-optimized garbage. It literally takes six fucking hours to compile chromium for fucks sake. even libreoffice and firefox combined don't take this long.
>>
Is it possible for a Linux noob to install and use Gentoo?
>>
>>60045024
>Open-source
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! IT'S FREE SOFTWARE.
>>
>>60044085
kek
>>
(You)s on /g/. Communist LARPing.
>>
>>60048366
Of course. If you are good enough at reading directions and have the persistence to see it through, there's no reason why you wouldn't be able to.

I don't know if Gentoo has an install script, but I'm sure you could find something online to streamline the process if you didn't want to go through everything manually.
>>
>>60050031
Thanks. I am not bad at reading instructions, or understanding them. An install script would be very nice, make it a bit quicker. I think eventually I think after a while of using Gentoo I would start understanding it, and getting the hang of.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.