[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question for Linux users

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

File: thai4.jpg (109KB, 1004x720px) Image search: [Google]
thai4.jpg
109KB, 1004x720px
If Microsoft announced that Windows would be completely open source starting from tomorrow, how long would you take to wipe all your Linux installations?
>>
Id use linux until windows is modified to my liking.
>>
>>60034254
Doesn't stop the fact ntfs is garbage and has a file transportation limitation
>>
I wouldn't because it still wouldn't be free (libre)
>>
A U T I S T I C
>>
Undefined
>>
>>60034254
>Implying people wouldn't just use the source to make WINE and driver emulation perfect and make Windows obsolete overnight.
>>
>>60034254
is this the new trap thread?
>>
>>60034254
I wouldn't. I've done a lot of native Windows API programming, both as a hobby and for work. Believe me, Windows is fucking garbage, inside and out. I don't use Linux because it's open source. I use Linux because my sanity relies on the fact that there is a viable Windows-alternative out there. Linux has its own pain-points, but they're not as bad.

If you don't believe me, you can get a pretty good rundown of Windows' flaws from a Windows kernel developer:
http://blog.zorinaq.com/i-contribute-to-the-windows-kernel-we-are-slower-than-other-oper/
>>
>>60034379
>implying people can actually understand the source
>>
>>60034459
found the non-programmer
>>
>>60034476
Vir/g/in spotted
>>
>>60034506
At least I can code.
>>
>>60034533
From your behavior, you can kode at best.
>>
>>60034459
I've read a lot of the Wine source and some of the leaked Windows 2000 source and I definitely think it would be helpful. They're both pretty similar, but Wine would be helped a lot by knowing the exact side-effects of each API function, and you'd obviously be able to figure this out from the Windows source. Also a lot of high-level code could just be copied line-by-line.
>>
>>60034254
I'd wait a year until people fix the code and remove the bloat, then install windows as a console OS. I'd still use Linux.
>>
>>60034254
I use Linux(Ubuntu) not becasue muh open sores or what a fat commie says it's correct, I use it becasue it's the best tool for the job (CS)
>>
>>60034254
change that to macos and my answer would be instantaneous
>>
>>60034259
This. I'd wait for a non-bloated as fuck version of windowns. Maybe one running the linux kernel.

Granted literally my only use for Windowns is muh gaymen and sometimes microsoft office.
>>
I'd wait until it became usable

Open-sourcing it would actually allow people to contribute and make it good. I don't know how long it would take to get rid of everything that makes Windows shitty, though.
>Forced restarts
>Can't use your computer while it installs updates
>Can't turn down updates
>"restarting..."
>have to disable critical security updates just to make your system usable
>still need antivirus
>still need to defrag
>still need to reinstall windows every year due to windows rot
>slow launch time
>BSOD
>"restarting..."
>"couldn't complete updates, undoing changes..."
>"restarting..."

>inb4 "the above problems don't exist lol"
yes they fucking do and until they are solved I will never use Windows
>>
>>60034254

>open source

Did you mean free (libre) software? If Windows were free software, I would not stop using GNU/Linux, however I would probably procure another PC to run Windows.

Note that Windows itself being free software would not necessarily solve the problem of many of the applications and drivers being proprietary. So that is why I would not use Windows fully.
>>
>>60034254
Once Windows was forked into a version that respects privacy, and once it was made fully compatible with Xen, I might consider using it on my own systems. I'm really happy with Ubuntu though.
>>
File: 1480515889875.png (85KB, 800x201px) Image search: [Google]
1480515889875.png
85KB, 800x201px
>>60034254
>Microsoft releases source code for all versions of Windows
>developers backport all later security updates to XP, strip out unnecessary bloat, and add a package manager
What kind of sexual favors would Bill Gates require to make this a reality?
>>
Windows. So shitty not even Stallman tier freedom could save it.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.