[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Payment Technology Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: pmtls.png (40KB, 412x995px) Image search: [Google]
pmtls.png
40KB, 412x995px
>2011 + 6
>not using your smartphone or smartwatch exclusively to pay for purchases
>>
>Yes goy credit cards don't track you enough we demand more information to squeeze even more shekels out of you .
>>
Credit and debit cards have shockingly bad security, and they allow merchants to build a profile of your shopping habits. Unless you use single-use prepaid cards, they should be avoided at all costs.

Cash is still the best.

Contactless payments like Apple Pay sit somewhere in between: definitely better than cards, but still allow your bank / credit union to follow you around. My credit union still doesn't support Apple Pay so it's a moot point for me anyway.
>>
>>60032552
>use cash
>get mugged
>you're out of the value of it
>assuming you aren't mugged, no free cashback or purchase protection benefits

>use credit
>free benefits on everyday purchases plus cashback
>if mugged you just call your credit card company and they reverse the charges
>>
>>60032552
>Apple Pay sits somewhere between
what the fuck do you mean? It gets info about your purchasing habits in an even easier way. Should have stopped writing when you said cash is still the best.
>>
>>60032487
>not using your smartphone
Android is full of security holes
>>
>>60032725
>2017
>not using an Android phone that gets monthly security patches
shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>60032746
You get phone stolen/lost gets hacked and your account is empty
>>
>>60032714
With Apple Pay, the only party that actually knows about your purchases is your bank or credit card company, unlike with cards, where both the bank and merchant have that information.
>>
>>60032763
That's not how it works. The Secure Element is isolated on a per application basis, under normal usage you're not going to be able to do it. If you root the phone then that wipes the secure element clean, you'll be able to add shit to it but all of the valuable stuff (e.g. card data) is gone. The SE cleans on a hair trigger; OTA updates on phones have triggered the removal of all cards from Android Pay even when the device was not compromised.

This is why Android Pay does not work on root. If you add cards before you root they're removed upon root. If you try to use it on a rooted device, Android Pay simply doesn't permit it.
>>
>>60032763
this desu, as someone who loses their stuff all the time I'm too scared to set up NFC payments especially since my phone doesn't have a finger print sensor
>>
>>60032487
Debit cards should be in the Oh Shit tier. I use mine for withdrawing cash, paying my credit card bill, and absolutely nothing else.

I'm not a fan of passive contactless of the kind often built into cards. Active contactless (phones) is better but I only used it a couple of times out of curiosity and went back to just using a card. I don't want my payments to rely on my phone's battery, for one thing.
>>
>>60032788
good meme. made me chuckle
>>
>>60032795
So you're telling me a hacker can't get passed a locked android screen?
Are you thick?
>>
>>60032917
Assuming a secure setup (not pattern based but PIN with lockout, Google Account is secure so Android Device Manager can't be invoked to change the lockscreen code, not rooted, on a recent android release (not below 6.x), ADB not enabled) then without either knowledge of the PIN, a weak PIN, or enabled biometrics with a motivated attacker, it would be extremely hard if not impossible to bypass the lockscreen on modern releases on a modern security patch (which many vendors have committed to monthly). If you want to speak about theoretical lockscreen bypasses that haven't been substantiated yet you could say the exact same thing about apple.
>>
>>60033286
too many variables= insecure
I won't type a huge pin just to unlock muh phone, you tard
>>
Who the fuck is so insane to use android without root? Straight to the shit bin it goes.
>>
>>60033467
In the US it doesn't really matter because you can dispute the charges and easily get the money back, plus since almost all of our cards are chip and signature instead of chip and PIN having any technical barrier (lockscreen with PIN) is automatically more secure than the card itself.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.