[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SSD free space wipe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: INTEL SSD.png (317KB, 750x546px) Image search: [Google]
INTEL SSD.png
317KB, 750x546px
Has any SSD manufacturer found a way to implement this?

What does /g/ do or recommend to effectively wipe the free space on a SSD?

Is the only way to image the drive, factory wipe it, then restore the image? Pretty damn shitty.
>>
>>60024183
CCleaner
>>
>>60024195
only works with HDD not SSD unless something changed. Since part of a SSD is rotated out or something.
>>
>>60024249
What? Free Space wipe has worked fine for me on my SSDs before with CCleaner. Even gained back space sometimes.
>>
wahts wrong with CCleaner or the dd if=/dev/null thingy
>>
>>60024249
It doesnt even work with hard drives due to bad blocks being unmapped. The only way to really do this is with SED/ISE drives.
>>
fstrim
>>
Get a Parted Magic ISO, burn it to optical media or use Rufus to make a bootable USB stick, boot from it, choose the Erase Disk option, it'll detect you have an SSD in the system and offer the Enhanced ATA Secure Wipe for SSDs which is different from traditional wipes - this Enhanced method causes the SSD controller to send a pulse through every cell in the SSD at one time (usually takes 4-6 seconds) that refreshes every cell back to factory state (but doesn't affect the wear level since that can't be reversed).

Again, this is not a traditional "zero" wipe or format, this is something specifically designed for use with SSDs and all of them support it, it's fast, it's as secure as it gets (without destroying the actual physical SSD), and it's 100% reliable in every case when it's complete, all the data is wiped utterly with zero - that means none, kids - chance of any recovery.
>>
>>60024195
>>60024270
>>60024307
>>60024350

All these people are tech illiterate and don't belong on /g/.

>>60024344

>bad blocks being unmapped

Irrelevant. You are almost tech literate enough to browse /g/.

>>60024981

This is the answer the SSD manufacturers want you to believe. That is if you're willing to suspend your disbelief and accept that:

>the SSD controller resets all its storage cells as empty (releasing stored electrons)

You're too naive to browse /g/. Go to /pol/ instead.

>>60024183

The only safe way is to use full disk encryption and to throw away the key and start writing stuff again from 0 with a different one every time you'd like to wipe. Feel free to mix this method with any of the snake oil mentioned above if you want to be a good goy.
>>
I just write zeros all over it like any other drive. Come at me.
>>
>>60027004

First of all, writing 0s makes it trivial to recover the data because former 1s will be higher than former 0s when measured analogically. You need to write random values not all 0s, so basically you're a fucking imbecile that has been doing it wrong all his life because you couldn't take five minutes to look it up. Then there's the fact that with SSDs you're not actually writing anything to it even though your computer thinks you are.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.