[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1491163669199.gif (669KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1491163669199.gif
669KB, 480x480px
I've been told ASM and Haskell are only used in legacy code and irrelevant

Is it true I've been wasting my time with meme languages?
>>
Haskell legacy?
>>
>>60014722
I think so, but i will learn C, don't see the point in learning ASM at this point.
>>
ASM is legacy code, but legacy code is about the only thing that powers the low level backend of the entire finance world, and the original programmers are either dying or retiring, so new blood is needed.
>>
No. ASM is often used when you have to do vectorised stuff that compilers don't handle well, and haskell is used in big production systems, onew of the biggest examples being facebook's whole anti spam infrasteucture
>>
>>60014722
Haskell legacy doesn't exist, since it's barely used outside esoterics.
>>
>>60014722
asm is useful if you want to understand C better / want to use a debuggerc
>>
>>60015011
debugger* that isn't as good the VS one
>>
>>60014975
interesting, never knew FB used haskell

what exactly is vectorised stuff
>>
>>60014722
Not true. Haskell isn't used at all.
>>
>>60015011
This. Not sure about Haskell, although it's useful in the field of maths from what I've heard about it.
>>
>>60016898
This
>>
>>60019057
It's good for learning the functional paradigm
>>
>>60014722
>Haskell are only used in legacy code
lolno hasklel is only used in FP course assignments
>>
>>60014722
Windows 10 is what you get when you stray away from the "legacy code".
Non-"legacy code" is always supported by layers of abstraction. When those fail, nobody knows what to do anymore.

tl;dr If you want to be a coder, just learn high level languages. If you want to be a programmer you will have to bother with C or ASM eventually.
>>
>>60019117
>If you want to be a programmer you will have to bother with C or ASM eventually.

I am bothering with both now, but my soul appears to be disintegrating

why those two btw? How does it help with being a better programmer?
>>
>>60019376
>why does learning more programming help with learning more programming?
ASM because it's a family of languages that will teach you what a CPU actually does.

C because it ties high-level programming concepts with very simple implementations that makes it easy to see how those high-level concepts typically map to low-level ASM, and simply because it's so widely used that you will inevitably interact with it, either directly through reading/writing C code or indirectly through interfacing with libraries/programs written in C.
>>
>>60019611
seems reasonable, whats are good books for those two?

I've got Kernighans C book and Irvine's ASM textbook
>>
>>60019647
not that poster, but I wouldn't bother with a book, most interesting way in my opinion would be to write C programs and then disassemble them. personally I think starting by searching for some buffer overflow attack challenges online would be cool
>>
>>60019694
I need to know how to use C first, even if I know C++ already
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.