[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hardware repairs/troubleshooting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: dsa321.png (1MB, 1500x991px) Image search: [Google]
dsa321.png
1MB, 1500x991px
One of the programmable buttons on my mx518 v2 has become completely unresponsive no matter what I try, so I'm pretty sure it's a hardware malfunction.
Else than this, the mouse has worked flawlessly since 2010.
No improvement after a good dusting and alcohol rub on the circuits+connectors, which is about how far my expertise goes.

So how do I even begin to troubleshoot this?
I do realize it's game over if the PCB itself is bust, but if it's a simple soldering job I'll just swing by the EE students' workshop at my uni.

Also didn't realize it was discontinued until last night when I started googling, but I'm a poorfag anyway so would much rather put some effort into fixing it instead of replacing.
>>
Take mouse apart and use drop of contact cleaner on switches
>>
File: 1491437138499.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1491437138499.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>tfw you realize your mx518 will die someday
>>
File: 1200px-Electrical-tape_black[1].jpg (114KB, 1200x900px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-Electrical-tape_black[1].jpg
114KB, 1200x900px
Fixed it!
Didn't find the error at first since I initially didn't wanna plug it in with the hood popped but figured wth, for science.
Somehow the distance between the plastic button and the actual switch had gotten too big over the years (wear?) and a tiny piece of electrical tape on top of it was enough to close the gap.

Fingers crossed for 7 more years with this absolute madman.
>>
my 2006 mx518 is still going strong
>>
>>60014667
Yeah it was probably wear
I had the same problem with the right mouse button of my razer mamba. The plastic that presses on the switch had a notch in it. I filed it flat so that the notch was gone and it worked perfectly fine again.
>>
>>60013003
I've already allowed mine to retire and moved it to reserves. I'm planning to do the same to my G400 this year.
>>
>>60014667
Could be plastic worn away, could be the spring inside the switch needs stretching to help decompress after years of use.
>>
File: 1200px-HP_LaserJet_4[1].jpg (128KB, 1200x1180px) Image search: [Google]
1200px-HP_LaserJet_4[1].jpg
128KB, 1200x1180px
>>60014688
>build quality lasting the average /g/entooman over a decade
not hard to understand why they replaced it with the shitty g400

pic kinda sorta related: my dad bought this beast for his company back in 1993 and except for a few jammed papers it's been going strong almost daily ever since
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.