[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why do all consumer routers default to a class C IP? why dont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: ip-and-voip-fundamentals-7-638.jpg (74KB, 638x479px) Image search: [Google]
ip-and-voip-fundamentals-7-638.jpg
74KB, 638x479px
why do all consumer routers default to a class C IP?

why dont they use 10.0.0.0 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 which does the exact same thing but the numbers are more straight forward for novice users?
>>
>>60011602
I had a consumer router that did exactly that.
>>
>>60011743
i know what im doing so i already changed it on my router but i dont know why its not a widely adopted standard.
>>
>>60011602
'novice' users dont fuck with ip addresses

'
>>
>>60011869
>dumb ass friend/relative calls you because they need help putting password on new router
obviously i have to tell them what number to type in and i have to pray that their router defaults to that tard mode setup but im just curious.

did smaller router companies start doing it just because their main competitor was doing it?
>>
might be so some retard office user doesn't connect their home router to a corp network and fuck up dhcp advertisements or something.
>>
>>60011918
tell them to go to their network in file manager and double click the thing that looks like a router
>>
>>60011602
>why dont they use 10.0.0.0 with a mask of 255.255.255.0 which does the exact same thing but the numbers are more straight forward for novice users?
Most business use the 10.x.x.x scheme for their internal network, an external user possibly having the same network/subnet might create issues for both networks if they were to connect via VPN.
>>
>>60011602
Because there is literally no point.
No one has 254 devices on their home network. Anyone who does will know how to change their network IP. Anyone who cares will change their network IP.

Also, you shouldn't use 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 because it isn't a correct private Class C address.

Private Class addresses are those posted in your image. You use one of them properly or you aren't abiding by the standards, which might mean nothing to you but means something to companies selling products.

Also, also, Class B is underappreciated.
>>
>>60012021
nobody has 2 million subnets either.

nothing against 255.0.0.0 unless its one of those router that likes to shit out random ips instead of just giving the lowest available one out.

so why not 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 then?

my college used class B. im guessing each classroom had its own subnet that the teachers podium connected to but if it happened to be a lab class then it would make isolating shit for tests easier.
>>
>>60012021
subnet classes have been obsolete for a decade
>>
>>60012021

>Also, you shouldn't use 10.0.0.0/255.255.255.0 because it isn't a correct private Class C address.
Funny, because that's what my router defaulted to.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.