[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Electron is the new Adobe Flash

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: smack-slack.png (25KB, 428x428px) Image search: [Google]
smack-slack.png
25KB, 428x428px
https://josephg.com/blog/electron-is-flash-for-the-desktop/

>And right now Slack is sitting on somewhere between 300 megs to 1 gig of my laptop's ram

>a chat client using 1 GiB of memory
>newfags will defend this
>>
>>59996295
Uhhh dude it has a /giphy command that puts a gif in the chat automatically. That's worth 1gig of memory, it's not like I don't have 7 others.
>>
Use the slack website. Why would you install it? I haven't installed a chat app since aim back in 1998
>>
I was once put on a project to finish an Electron based application.

Oh god that was my worst nightmare come to life. It was the embodiment of everything I hate about modern web development, a complete mess of angular, insane gui frameworks, endless upon endless npm dependency libraries, obscure architecture patterns, strange node.js services, could only be compiled with "make" scripts, and I could go on, jesus fuck it was a nightmare. It was made by three young hipsters fresh out of school, god knows why they were hired, and got kicked out due to contractual disputes and as the lead web dev in the company I had to finish this mess.

And it was supposed to work in a citrix environment for several big ass enterprise compananies, but it wasnt compatible because they had made some piggyback nodejs services that runs alongside the electron app (because Electron is fucking shit as it is a glorified chrome browser and therefore sandboxed) so it could PRINT PDF FILES JESUS CHRIST AND THE PROGRAM WOULDNT RUN WITHOUT IT. They did not inform us of this until after release and every customer started to complain.

>tl:dr
FUCK ELECTRON AND THIS FUCKING WEB HIPSTER MOVEMENT
>>
File: Capture.png (4KB, 553x55px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
4KB, 553x55px
>>59996295
>RAMlets
When will they learn?
>>
>>59996698
I've been working on a project for a few months that based on Electron and I just use lightweight jQuery and simple templating libraries. Pretty comfy being able to use native notification APIs and file system access desu
>>
>>59996764
same >>59996698
If that was the case it would have been much more bearable, heck almost sane even.
But this was a case of totally over-complicating a program by using every single modern hip web dev tool out there.

I convinced management to scrap the project, because it was not feasible to get it into shape within a reasonable timeframe (and it would cost way more than predicted).
We manage to create an .net mvc based web project that could do everything the electron app (and the app it was supposed to replace) and more, faster than it would have taken to mend the electron app.
>>
>>59996846
Hell yeah mf asp.net rools
>>
>open system monitor and check my memory usage
>nearing 8gb being used
>quit chrome
>back down to 3gb
>>
>>59996627
The website is also bloated. I connect to slack through the IRC bridge and every time somebody posts an image to the chat and I open it in the browser chrome has a heart attack.

Firefox just froze for several seconds.
>>
>>59996698
t. College Grad that doesn't understand front end
>>
Slack is vastly better than any other chat platform, especially in a work environment.
The benefit of using an app as versatile as Slack vastly outweighs any "bloat" complaints.

I don't own a laptop/desktop that has less than 16GB of RAM, hell I've been running 16GB since 2011.
>>
>>59996295
I like the idea of using HTML rendering to make GUI things work, because honestly HTML/CSS is pretty well developed, lots of libraries, and easy to use.
But I hate javascript more than anything
My ideal desktop framework would be something like blink or gecko with c or python bindings. No need to include V8 or any of the sandboxing / web browser shit, all I want is html rendering.

I think there's a decent chance that with all this webasm shit going on, eventually we'll end up with a nice JIT compiled target language replacing JS, which would solve half the problems I have with electron. Then all that's left is the browser bloat, which should be less hard to remove than building something new from scratch.
>>
>>59997216
I think Discord is better. The main thing slack has going for it is teams being independent from the rest of the site.
>>
Desktop applications wouldn't exist without Electron. You shouldn't complain about the ram usage.
>>
>>59997234
Discord is better for voice chat, I've entirely replaced Skype with Discord but the teams thing is pretty big for the workplace, custom emojiis, statuses, giphy intergration, pinning messages and such make it really useful.
>>
>>59996627
>>59997128

https://github.com/wee-slack/wee-slack

irssi users need not apply
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.