[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is go kill?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: crystal.png (129KB, 1038x1085px) Image search: [Google]
crystal.png
129KB, 1038x1085px
is go kill?
>>
>>59994721
More relevant Go software has already been written than software from every single meme /g/ language put together.

Ruby developers are not going to feel at home without a do-it-for-me framework like Rails, anyway. The main reason to use Ruby for web dev in the first place.
>>
oh great. another shitty language.
>>
>>59994721
The syntax of Crystal is EXACTLY the same as Ruby, it has the same OO with the @ prepended instance variables, it has the same method blocks. Why didnt they just make a faster implementation of Ruby instead of making a new language with the same syntax as Ruby?
>>
>>59994801
Ruby 3.0 is supposed to be faster. Dunno compared to Go / Crystal. I think Matz had some talk about Ruby 3. Sadly its going to be a while till we see this come...
>>
>>59994801
>The syntax of Crystal is EXACTLY the same as Ruby

Ruby honestly has the best syntax of any language.

I shudder to think of how much engineering productivity was lost to Go's ancient and archaic syntax, just because they wanted to pander to C developers and pretend that Go was going to take off as a system's language.

>Why didnt they just make a faster implementation of Ruby instead of making a new language with the same syntax as Ruby?

Ruby has some fundamental problems with its underlying models that any major changes would probably break some level of compatibility. One of the weakest aspects of Ruby is that you are going to be running on a single Core, and that scaling to multi-cores and strong concurrency models is simply not possible.

Crystal adopts Go's concurrency model with a shared pool of memory for all concurrent routines and single keyword to run a function concurrently. Plus they implemented a simple queue-based non-blocking channel type to pass information between routines.

>>59994833
>Ruby 3.0 is supposed to be faster

Unless it has a good solution for concurrency it will always be a weak language going forward. Every major company that adopted Ruby from Twitter to Linkdln dropped Ruby eventually, because they could not scale to their many-core servers effectively.
>>
>>59994920
>Ruby honestly has the best syntax of any language.
No.
>>
>>59994920
>Unless it has a good solution for concurrency it will always be a weak language going forward.
Thankfully, it does. Look into the Guilds proposal.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.