[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

thermostat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: nest.jpg (40KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
nest.jpg
40KB, 1200x630px
does a non-botnet "smart" thermostat (like Nest) exist? Or do I just need to stick with a normal thermostat to not be botnetted upon?

I want those features like changing temp from phone and the (supposed) power savings.
>>
raspberry pi
>>
i'm not touching anything IoT for at least another 5-10 years
>>
>>59993284
You realize the new digital divide is between those who don't accept the botnet and those who do, right?
You realize that fearing ubiquitous networking and connectivity in 2017 makes you tech illiterate, right?
>>
>>59993284
I wouldn't touch one unless there's some kind of hard limit of ~12 degrees requiring you to physically turn it higher or lower
>>
File: photo_2016-11-12_20-18-42.jpg (102KB, 720x1280px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2016-11-12_20-18-42.jpg
102KB, 720x1280px
>>59993284
It's easy enough to make yourself.

Sorry for the potato quality pic
>>
There's probably a plugin for openwrt to do it.
>>
Why do you need to control it remotely?

I have 5 delta server fans that I can control the speed of, as well as a low temperature cutoff to keep my bedroom a nice cool temp all night long. The temp cutoff is really nice because I can just set it to 65, and it can be freezing outside, so the fans only kick on once in a while.
>>
>>59993284
>Changing temp from the phone

Botnet-only feature. Also kind of stupid.

>Power savings

Get a seven day programmable thermostat. It'll cost you $30.
>>
>>59993284
I think you mean you want an open sourced one :)
>>
>>59995330
Basically going to do this.

>>59995603
>>59993842
I don't know why the fuck Nest can only be communicated with through the website/app. There is no reason there could not be a direct interface to the thermostat via WiFi. Obviously they want to force botnet and to use the app and lock in to their shit ecosystem.
>>
>>59993284
>I want those features like changing temp from phone
People like you are what's wrong with the world and why the botnet exists in the first place
>>
>>59995715
Changing temp from phone is the least interesting reason to have a smart thermostat.

>have multiple temperature sensors throughout the house feeding data to thermostat
>logging temperature by the hour/min
>using logged data to maintain a perfect temperature at all times
>using weather reports to predict ac/heater use

During the summer or winter, I usually keep the ac/heater on as it is far cheaper to maintain a temperature than to continually turn on/off. Standard thermostats fucking suck at this because there is only one temp sensor and it's in the thermostat which is usually the coolest place in a multi-story house.
>>
>>59993284
Make your own
Running free software only

Should be easy as fuck, my thermostat just has two wires that tell the furnace to turn on or off
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.