[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Building a NAS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: 4L_UdsyjUCM.png (115KB, 500x522px) Image search: [Google]
4L_UdsyjUCM.png
115KB, 500x522px
Hey /g/, I am going to build a NAS and wanted some recommendations for what to use. I am only going to be using it for storage, seeding, and some moderate media playback maybe
I will be purchasing 3tb drives over time and adding them, the drives are refurb HGST Ultrastars. It is my first time doing this so any advice pertaining to building and using a NAS is appreciated.
>>
i built my server using the fractal design node 804 case, which is a micro atx case. it has a really weird shape and layout but it fits under the desk i wanted to fit it under and it has a lot of space for hard drives. you can most likely find a better solution for a case for less money but I'm in love with this weird motherfucker. i learned some harsh, harsh lessons in the past from going cheap on cases in pc builds so i would advise to spend a little more for something better if you can.

its keeps 6 2tb drives (you guessed it, HGST) spinning all day long in a raid 10, and there is a ssd for the os and stuff. theoretically that case can fit 8 3.5" drives in the hard drive bay but i struggled with my own incompetence to feed those 6 drives the power and data cables they need.

i primarily use samba to access files on it because i have a lolwindoze desktop. it's incredibly shit but it gets the job done. the box is internet facing (scary!) and i use transmission-daemon to use it as a seedbox. sometimes i give my friends sftp credentials to a user with read-only permissions to where the raid is mounted so they can grab things they like.

i don't know if any of this helps you or is even relevant to how you were planning on setting up your raid but that is basically how i do it. if you have any specific questions for me i have fucking nothing going on so feel free to ask.
>>
>>59991588
why not throw ownCloud on it?
>>
>>59992718
it doesn't look useful to me but there is absolutely no reason why someone can't install a piece of software on their machine
>>
>>59991008
My first NAS was a NetGear ReadyNAS V2 Duo and it was pretty good for backups. I run a limited number of VM disks off it using NFS (no iSCSI) but it can't keep up with my expanding needs.

My second NAS was an old gateway Q6600 retrofit that worked well for about a year until the mobo cooked. Currently back to just the readyNAS :(

My third NAS will be a JBOD 8 disk 16GB FreeNAS deployment because frankly I want the dedupe and ZFS. I will likely spec room for 10 disks. I'm still picking hardware.

My suggestions:
- know what you're willing to administer / target OS before looking at hardware. If you're 100% windows don't learn *nix on NAS. You will likely lose data.
- Know how much I/O you need roughly (how many concurrent users? do you need 1Gbps wired or 10Gbps wired between NAS and switch/wireless). This tripped me up.
>>
>>59991008
HP micro servers can be nice - depending on how many disks
>>
>>59993118
>don't learn *nix on a NAS
i did and i turned out just fine. i was a complete windows baby until i installed debian on a machine with no screen and had to learn how to even communicate with it. if you're scared just make backups. you're supposed to have backups anyway!
>>
>>59991588
Thanks, like I said I am new to this so any help on anything is appreciated.

>>59993118
I am only going to be using it for the things I described and it will only be myself using it.
I lied a bit in saying that I was completely new because I already built one using an old XPS with a PERC 6i and 4 300gb 15k HGST drives in raid 5. Like I said though I have no idea what I am doing, I installed FreeNAS on it and it sort of works but it's not doing exactly what I described.

>>59993161
I will be buying disks over time so as much as I can cram in one before I build a new one.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.