[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Audio formats, Converting and Decompressing Audio Files

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

File: music.png (23KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
music.png
23KB, 256x256px
Hello!
How do audio formats compare to CD sound quality? Which is best?
I am wondering: is Apple Lossless the same sound quality as a audio CD you'd buy in the stores?
Also: When decompressing flac files, can you truly get the sound quality of the original recording? Say you're burning a CD. What would be the best format to use, WAV?
Can anybody help?
Thanks....
>>
Just use Opus

512 vbr for archival quality

192 vbr for audible transparency

The only other format to use is WAV if you're into music production or video editing but everything else is a meme.
>>
>this thread
>in 2017
>>
Lossless formats are, as one should deduce, the exact same audio data as on an audio CD.

If you mean original recording as in the unmastered, raw output from in the studio before it reached the sound engineers, then no, you cannot. If by original recording, you mean the release as if you bought it from an official source, then yes, regardless of compression level, the audio will be exactly the same.
>>
bumping this so I have time to type before it 404s
>>
File: eigen-cd-maken-minidisco.png (329KB, 725x720px) Image search: [Google]
eigen-cd-maken-minidisco.png
329KB, 725x720px
CD quality is "Lossless" (as is anything higher, like "High-Resolution" audio but that's irrelevant for our current discussion as all you really need to worry about is CD quality audio and everything lower for consumer usage.)

Lossless audio formats, like FLAC, ALAC, WAV, etc. should, in theory, be equivalent to CD audio quality and never lose fidelity when converted between each other. You can have compressed lossless files as well (i.e. FLAC compression levels) and you will never lose audio fidelity (you just won't ever be able to get the file size nearly as low as a lossy file, but still.)

WAV shouldn't really ever be used unless you're producing audio and need to work with raw/lossless audio. It's not compressed at all and serves no benefit in listening (not to mention it doesn't really support metadata so you can't properly tag WAV files.)

ALAC is fine, it's what I use for archiving because I use iTunes a lot (thanks iPhone) but my actual listening library is a mirror of my ALAC archive but in 256kbps AAC / iTunes Plus format for size reasons (also 256kbps AAC is transparent, meaning it's not discernible from lossless to the human ear. I only keep the lossless archive if I ever need to convert to a different format [b/c converting from one lossy format to another lossy format is highly degrading to the quality] or if I ever need to alter any songs in a program like Premiere or Audacity, since lossless files are inherently better suited for manipulation because there's literally more information there to work with, hence the much larger file size.)

One more thing, converting a lossy file (i.e. mp3) to an ALAC or FLAC file doesn't magically increase the fidelity, all you're doing here is making a "fake" lossless file (needlessly inflated filesize but the quality is still the same as the original lossy file. When you make a lossy file like an mp3 or AAC file, you literally -lose- information that can't ever be recovered,)

Hope I could help!
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.