[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

AM3+ platforms, last huzzah

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

Might we have a discussion on AM3/AM3+ motherboards & related support components ..?

I'm trying to make some decisions on the last AM3 (preferably AM3+) motherboard I'll ever buy. Would /g/ please share resources, anecdotes & experiences on 'Good Buys' that can reasonably be trusted to last at least 5 years (7-10 better) with good care & feeding with mild overclocking?

I'll share more details shortly, but basically I'm upgrading a system & have enough components leftover to immediately make a solid Phenom II Deneb Black 965 quad core build as a utility system. Want to pick a mobo with "good" but basic features, cheap, does linux well (& BSD ideally), cheap, has upgrade path to 6- or 8-core Vishera FX chip, cheap ....

Did I mention low cost..?

1 / more
>>
File: fx6350_newegg_2017-04-20_65412.jpg (199KB, 940x1060px) Image search: [Google]
fx6350_newegg_2017-04-20_65412.jpg
199KB, 940x1060px
>>59980498

So, what happened is this is currently available for $85 w/ shipping. I have a system built around an ASRock Extreme 4 970 motherboard and a Phenom II 965 plus GTX 650 GPU. It's been a champ of a basic system, but swapping in an fx6350 would be a pretty massive upgrade. I also have a GTX 760, so the GTX 650 will remain paired with the 965 CPU.

I'd like to find a mobo for the 965 that can OC slightly, but it's not of primary concern. That chip has been running at 3.8 GHz for several years now, so would be nice to keep at that, possibly hit 4 GHz, but the system doesn't need to be powerful. Light on electricity and stable are more important.

Things like lots of SATA connectors, maybe an internal USB 3 header, general rep for good lifetime, etc. much more important. ATX would be great, but willing to look at smaller boards because I'm a poorfag and $140 or $150 is a lot of investment right now. Fortunately I have SSD, HDD, DDR3 RAM

Keeping in mind, an upgrade path that might let me swap the fx6350 onto it in a couple years if I happen to score an 8350 or 8370 cheap later on.

But, there's more. I'm open to alternatives.
>>
>>59980675

Since I'm playing the poorfag, another option might be to grab one of these cheap bundles. I could drop the 8320e + GTX 760 onto my Extreme 4 970 mobo, then drop the Phenom II 965 + GTX 650 onto one of these mobos.

It would be a cheaper option, since I might be looking at $150-ish as per previous post, but maybe get away with $120-ish this route.

What I don't know:

1) Is one of these mobos "good enough" to be worth the cost & effort and

2) I don't know if the fx 8320e or the fx6530 is the better CPU?

Can anyone suggest which of these boards should be avoided or are decent? And, would the 8320e be a better chip or would the 6350 yield stronger performance?

I'd think the 6350 should OC easily to 4.2 GHz ... would that out-perform an 8320e that might o"only" OC to ~3.8 GHz?

Beyond that, I'd be happy to know if anyone can suggest places to get any of this for even cheaper. Any current promotions and dumping of AM3 platform components going on anywhere?

I don't need a cooling block, by the way. I have two unused wraith heat sinks sitting in a parts box. So, if anyone knows where I might buy a bare chip for AM3+ at reduced costs ... even used if certified reliable is acceptable. Getting a 6350 for $40 or $50 would be very attractive, or any AM3+ chip at equivalent cost/performance. I'd then be happy to fold savings into a better mobo ... maybe even jumping up to a 990fx mobo.

If I can do the whole upgrade for $100 or under I'd be very, very happy.
>>
>>59980498
Might we have a discussion on the old AMD housefire Bulldozer/Piledriver Opterons?
Literally saw nobody mention them, even if they are crap.
>>
File: fx8350_newegg_2017-04-20_65413.jpg (443KB, 1250x1450px) Image search: [Google]
fx8350_newegg_2017-04-20_65413.jpg
443KB, 1250x1450px
>>59980831

Whelp.

Just made my new CPU upgrade choice.

Holy shit.

Looks like I'm also raising my budget for the upgrade. No sense putting an 8350 into anything other than a 990fx chipset.
>>
I think an 8350 would be nice for a cheap ESXi box.
>>
File: fx9370_newegg_2017-04-20_65414.png (68KB, 300x530px) Image search: [Google]
fx9370_newegg_2017-04-20_65414.png
68KB, 300x530px
>>59983348

Crap. Also this just became available in this morning's promo newsletter.

I don't really want to spend that much ... was already trying to spend under $85 for the CPU & am now (probably) going $108 for the 8350.

But, is the 9370 worth the extra money compared to the 8350? And, at 220 watts, how brutal is that on motherboards? Not excited about the extra electric bill, but that's relatively trivial & I can ignore that.

Not trying to build a gaming rig; if I do that, I'll be speccing one out toward end of 2018/early 2019.

However, if I invest the cash for a major upgrade today on the premise that it will become a long-term secondary system, is the extra computing capacity of a 9370 really that significant over an 8350? I've not considered an 8-core before now, so I'm a bit lost on how to evaluate real-world, pragmatic gains vs. stability, wear & tear, and cost.

I was considering GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 R5 ($130) for an 8350 mobo; I had good luck with the rev 4 board building a system for a friend. Not sure how that board would handle the massive power draw of a 9370, but I like it's feature set.

- https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA85V4M11476

Also an open box for $100. Are open box mobos generally worth the risk?

Anybody know of better prices currently, or are these pretty much as good as it gets right now?
>>
>>59983660
Don't get a 9370, pretty sure it's just an overclocked 8350.

I am currently using a motherboard that was originally open box, still working fine after about a year. What're you planning on using the desktop for, anyways?
>>
Wtf dude, fx CPUs were garbage.
Buy a used i5 or i7 or get ryzen.
t. Ex 8350 owner
>>
>>59983676

Maybe (you) should read the thread before posting.

>>59983675

Yep. Thanks. As I'm reading reviews and other specs ... just not seeing the 9370 as for me. I'd probably have to buy at least a $150 mobo to support it (the GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 looks like a poor match for the 9370), probably water cooling to really exploit its power while preserving the system.

Oh, AND I'd have to buy a new PSU.

Just, nope. The whole point of trying this upgrade is to utilize all the extra parts I have and not spend money.

I've not had good luck with open box in the past on items less complex than a mobo. Gonna mull that over in my head all afternoon. I don't mind going an extra $20 from the 6350 to the 8350, but I'd hoped to get a mobo for the Phenom 965 for maybe $50-$60, and now I'm looking at not even taking the old Phenom system apart at all and just assembling a whole new system around the 8350 / 990FXA-UD3.

Fuck, I hate being poor. It was a stretch to justify a ~$140 CPU/mobo, and now I have to scrape hardcore if I want to drop $240.

As far as use goes, general all-around workstation. Graphics, VM self-training in several OSs, some video encoding, audio editing, if I ever have free time some occasional gaming (Civ IV & V, various Total War .. nothing hardcore).

The intention is to retire it to a secondary system in two years or so. Until then, the Phenom would be a linux box for lighter duty then I'd get rid of it when I can afford a modern system. Two boxes is plenty for me, especially once I get VM skillz. I got shitloads of DDR3 RAM, so that's covered.
>>
>>59980831
8320e is much better choice, i have it with gtx 760, can play bf1 on med 60-70fps, bf4 maxed out, and some new games with no problem
>>
>>59984018

Any thoughts on mobo? What do you use? Happy with it? Would move to a different one if you could?

Do you OC the 8320e at all? How much?

The 8 cores seem like better than the 6 cores ... and, as the thread developed during the night, I'm probably going 8350 anyway.

But, those 8320e-mobo combos look interesting ... just a lot of reviews to look up & wade through to see which mobo would be best. Trying to convince myself the 970 chipset is all I ever really will need. But, the 990fx chipset features make me hungry for one of those boards.

My greed is fighting my poorfag budget.

Of these: >>59980831

Would anyone recommend the ASRock or the ASUS? Those two seem my choice if I go with that bundle. Don't need a gaming/M2 board (esp. for $160), and the 760 chipsets just look too anemic for something I'd like to have a round for years with upgrade capacity.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.