[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which CPU?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: ryzen-new-100700919-orig.jpg (370KB, 1200x799px) Image search: [Google]
ryzen-new-100700919-orig.jpg
370KB, 1200x799px
i7-7700k or Ryzen 1800X for gaming only? Is the £150 more worth it for the Ryzen
>>
>>59960894
Get 1800 if you want to game + have other apps going on in the background,movies browser,discord,brodcasting

1800 overclocker like a 1800x you are paying for factory OC
>>
File: 1484857165b9Q0qmS6fl_1_6.png (13KB, 620x336px) Image search: [Google]
1484857165b9Q0qmS6fl_1_6.png
13KB, 620x336px
>delidlake
Why even consider this horse shit in the first place?
>>
>>59960894
no. Every review out there showed that the 1600 is the sweet spot for gaming on Ryzen. If the 1600 is within your budget and you're strictly gaming, you'd be a moron to buy one of the octacores. That said, every review around has shown that the 7700k is the current gaming king. It's unclear how long that's going to last, though, as frametime analyses are showing that a quadcore is no longer ideal for gaming and the 7700k only gets by because of its four extra threads, which provide a 20-25% boost to its performance and mitigate stuttering when background tasks need time on one of the cores.

If you're asking which I'd buy, a 1600X since I have a good cooler already and I'm unwilling to pay so much more for a 7700k, the performance gains aren't large enough for me, and I believe the 1600X and AM4 will have more longevity than the 7700k and 1151.

But if you're considering an 1800X, your budget is probably much larger than mine and you can probably afford to chuck money at a 7700k and upgrade your entire system 18 months from now if you need to.
>>
>>59961050
This. As long as it is within budget, there is no reason to buy anything other than 1600/1600x.
>>
>>59960894
OP here - probably should've mentioned that this will all be at 1440p if that makes any difference
>>
>>59960894
get a 1700 and overclock it
>>
>>59960894
Oy vey goy, 8 threads? What do you need 4 threads for? 2 cores is enough for everyone
>>
>>59961096
It does somewhat. Everyone always shows 1080p benchmarks. At lower resolution, you're more CPU bound, so Ryzen has a tendency to lose to Intel. As soon as you get up to 1440/4k the gap closes tremendously. So long as you're paired with a decent card, you should easily see 60fps at 1440p in most titles. AMD CPUs are no longer a huge hindrance for gaming.

Not OP, but I'm going to piggyback on this thread. Are Asus motherboards good for the new AM4 line? I was looking at pairing a 1600X with the Asus X370 prime. I also already have 4x8GB sticks of low latency ddr4-2400mhz. I know Ryzen benefits from high speed ram, but that's not an option unless I miraculously find a buyer for my existing ram. In real world performance/gaming, how much of a performance hit would I see due to my low speed ram?
>>
>>59961178
last I heard the ASRock Taichi X370 was the best board for Ryzen, but things have been changing so quickly that I have no idea.
>>
>>59961178
Last I hear is Asus x370 skimped out and cheapskates really bad trash board.

ASRock is King then MSI one,also best of B board is the gigabyte
>>
>>59960894
7700k doesn't make any sense unless you play at 144hz
>>
>>59961222
>taichi

Yup. One of the absolute best boards and sold out absolutely everywhere. I'm only considering X370 over a B350 board because of amount of SATA ports as well as m.2 location. Asus seems to be the only brand that isn't hell bent on making sure you cook your m.2 SSD by placing it right above or below the first pcie slot. My Samsung 960 wasn't cheap and I'd like for it to not die of heatstroke.
>>
>>59961292
you could get a pci to m.2 adapter to alleviate this issue, perhaps
>>
>>59961178
X370 prime pro suffered some issues at launch but has since recovered. When the R7 line dropped I paired one with a 1700, things have been peachy for awhile now.
>>
>>59961686
Awesome. It's like the only board other than the taichi board from asrock (which is still sold out EVERYWHERE) That has more than 6 SATA ports. I've been with Asus forever. I figured they'd have any problems figured out by now. Is your 1700 overclocked? What ram configuration you running? Did you have to BIOS flash?

And I just noticed the m.2 is right above the first pcie slot. Just like I didn't want. Fuck. Well if it presents any problems, I can always get an adapter like the one anon said.
>>
>>59961178
Stay away from Asus this gen.
>>
>>59961751
Haven't used the m.2 port so I can't help you much there. You could always just use one of the lower PCIE slots and keep the top one free.

Currently I'm running my 1700 at 3.7ghz/1.25v on the stock cooler without any issues. I should probably mention that my stable OC's and voltages have changed as new BIOS updates have come out, sometimes for better and sometimes for worse. Last BIOS it was a pain to reach 3.7... but I was able to reach 3.6 at 1.166v... go figure.

I've flashed my bios in the form of updates, but nothing else. The procedure is straightforward: download the latest BIOS, unzip it onto a flash drive, and then go into BIOS and tell the utility where the file is located.

As for RAM, I am running 32gb of some shitty gskill 2133hz ram. Nothing spectacular, but I have it overclocked to 2400hz. 2666 was on-and-off stable (haven't had time to test with this latest update).

If I had to guess, there are still some more optimizations to come. Asus was initially slow to release updates, but in the past month or so we've seen a new BIOS every two weeks.

>>59961772
Not true anymore for reasons mentioned above. Also, most reviewers who had Asus boards and reported issues were using the crosshair. The x370-pro has had better luck and worse reporting.
>>
>>59961268
which everyone who plays games does
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.