[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Raspberry Pi

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: RPi.png (292KB, 503x513px) Image search: [Google]
RPi.png
292KB, 503x513px
What does /g/ think about this?
IMO:
>good way to learn basics of computer hardware
>entry level work in Linux
>extremely versatile
>low price
Did I miss anything?
Also general RPi thread, share your projects, achievements or ideas.
>>
>>59958098
>Did I miss anything?
Yeah, you missed the key point where you play with it for a week and then put it in the drawer and never look at it again.
>>
>>59958098
>share your projects
Home server
>>
>>59958116
This
>>
>>good way to learn basics of computer hardware
>most stuff is integrated into CPU
Wow, it's fucking nothing, grab some PC from the thrash if you want to do that
>entry level work in Linux
Which can be done faster on any PC
>extremely versatile
>low price
It's pretty expensive when you can get old routers for free and mod them as you please

>>59958121
>ethernet over usb
And it's shit at it
>>
I have 2. The one in my room has all my external hard drives plugged in and I use OSMC for watching stuff and it has server shit built in. The one in the basement I switch between OSMC and Retropi.
>>
Tried to run a Jenkins/Git system off a pi, took 5 minutes to load the Jenkins interface because
> java

It's a toy
Anything worth doing past a low performance hobby project needs more power.
>>
>>59958323

>And it's shit at it
Since it's a home server, it doesn't need to have really good specs, it just needs to be usable. But incidentally, it has a really cheap electricity cost, and a really small form factor. You can shove it on a desk somewhere and forget about it.
>>
>>59958098
Used one recently to unlock some business laptop BIOS chips following the process detailed here: https://ghostlyhaks.com/blog/hacking/27-microsoft-windows/36-how-to-reset-bios-admin-password-on-hp-probook-elitebook. Before that I had only used it briefly as an in-home streaming machine with OpenELEC, but even overclocked the first gen model B was just too slow and the interface became quite sluggish when watching anything.
>>
I have two. One is a znc server, the other is an htpc.
>>
>>59959661
>>59958178
>>59958116

Picking up a pi got me in to embedded development. Sure it's not the target of choice, but a surprising amount of my customers prefer them because they can bring a heterogeneous mix of vendors to the game and have them build toward a well documented target for prototyping.

Just because you weren't interested in using it as a vehicle to learn cross compiling, gpio control, i2c comms, etc doesn't mean it's worthless. Those skills are one of the reasons my salary is 30% above the dev average for my locale... Java/web dev/PHP whatever are a dime a dozen, but entry level embedded folks are next to impossible to find in my market, let alone seasoned ones.
>>
>>59958098
>>good way to learn basics of computer hardware
Use your PC for that.
>>entry level work in Linux
Use your PC for that.
>>extremely versatile
Use your PC for that. Unless you need embedded low power shit.
>>low price
Use your PC. You already have one
>>
I run OpenELEC on mine.
>>
>>59958098
It's a nice retro console and also good for just fucking around, but it basically comes down to what >>59959661 said.
>It's a toy
>Anything worth doing past a low performance hobby project needs more power.
>>
>>59958098
another poorly documented cheap micro pc
also those broadcom blobs make it almost useless
>>
the first one i got was helpful learning linux from a windows background, sshing into devices and the idea of maintaining a computer and it's use as a "headless server" with making some small scripts with interoptability between the two

i messed around with it, put that retrogame package on it and thought hey, why not get another one, one for web services and another for camera projects and whatever, i put ubuntu on it and havent used either since

if you want a good taste of the endless debugging linux experience it's good
>>
I got one, but then couldn't figure out anything fun to do with it. It's collecting dust next to my arduino.

Maybe one day I'll find some fun and useful project to use it for. But I doubt it. ;_;
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.