[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the best wm and why is it i3?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (31KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
31KB, 1280x720px
What's the best wm and why is it i3?
>>
It's XFCE retard
>>
>>59949673
easier to configure than other tiling wm
>>
>>59949692
itsa meme ya dip
>>
>>59949692
>x11 as wm
>what happened to /g/?
What the fuck? Are you stupid?
>>
>>59949680
Actually it's Xfce
>>
>>59949680
Xfce ist a DE
>>
>>59949781
>ist
spotted the stupid germanon phoneposter
>>
>>59949673
Bash :)
>>
>>59949673
>>59949682
awesome wm, because no configuration is required. Sane defaults.
>>
>>59949680
xfce is not wm
>>
>>59949927
Why would you use a tiling WM if you're not going to configure it at all?
Also, you need to know lua to configure awesome.
>>
>>59949673
Ratpoison of OpenBox
>>
>>59949953
>need to know lua
oh no... how will I ever learn something as arcane as a scripting language that looks identical to every other programming language?
>>
>>59913147
Hey boys.

How does Facebook do it such that I open a chat window at the bottom and then click on pages but the chat windows don't reload? They can't possibly send AJAX requests for the entire page besides the chat window, right? So how do they manage it?
>>
>>59950171
Motherfuckers I didn't mean to post in this shitthread. It's xmonad by the way
>>
>>59949673
Uh ah, Sway is better.

i3 + Wayland = Sway
>>
>>59950180
xmonad has 100mb of dependencies.

Really hurts muh minimalism.
>>
>>59950192
>not using Haskell on a daily basis thus making those dependencies useful
>>
>>59950183
>Sway is better
No it's not. I've actually been doing some development on sway, and I can say that it's still very flawed. There is a LOT of shit it can't do properly.
Most of its problems seem to come from WLC.
>>
>>59950198
Not gonna learn a language to use a wm.

Should work the other way around (e.g. already familiar with haskell and like the idea of xmonad).
>>
>>59949673
ratpoison is obscenely better than i3
>>
>>59950213
>not already knowing and loving haskell
Why are you even on /g/
>>
>>59949673

>not using cwm
>>
>>59949953
Tiling wms are not just for ricing and posting screenshots to /g/. I use a tiling wm because I like software managing my windows for me. Awesome comes with 8 preset configurations + floating. You can add your own configurations or import them from the web.

I don't add a bottom bar because I have a widescreen monitor and vertical space is precious. I also don't need my CPU, RAM or network usage displayed because it doesn't matter to me.

And Lua is easy.
>>
>>59950220
haasn is that you
>>
>>59949953

If does what you need it to out of the box, why bother configuring it?
>>
>>59949680

they are both bae
>>
>>59950183

>sway is better

No way to rotate monitors, even gnome manages rotation on wayland.
>>
>>59949673
Because I don't have to drag windows around or accidentally close programs.
>>
>>59949673
It's bspwm

/thread
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.