[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Only 30 years behind, guys! What does Google pay Kurzweil for?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 2

File: PB8vSiu[1].png (67KB, 1137x622px) Image search: [Google]
PB8vSiu[1].png
67KB, 1137x622px
>Only 30 years behind, guys!

What does Google pay Kurzweil for?
>>
>>59949488
Advertising by broadcasting his predictions and getting a lot of code monkeys recruited
>>
>>59949903
>Implying

They could just get a marketer for that, though.

He's apparently their head of engineering.
>>
>>59949488
Pretty spot on with most of the predictions
>>
>10TB memory space in a single human brain
what
>>
>>59950083
Supercomputers do not have the processing power of a human brain AND full immersion VR did not exist in 2010.

Eyeglasses thing is a big maybe if you're counter Google Glass and it's been discontinued.

VR personal assistants aren't a thing because the eyeglasses aren't.
Cellphone-integrated clothing isn't ehter.

That advertisement thing is correct though, I saw a neat video about it a while back where they use it at grocery stores to advertise produce.

"clean a house" isn't within the capabilities of a home robot.
>>
>>59950109
That's the thing. Does he mean storage space or RAM? Because if he meant RAM he's way, way off.
>>
>>59950109
The brain has extremely efficient compression.
>>
>>59950519
That's interesting to think about.
>>
>>59950109
IDK where that comes from but a lot of Kurzweil's predictions are in terms of human brainpower. He believes once you can cheaply reach that, you've hit singularity.
>>
File: 1487954343531.png (592KB, 914x898px) Image search: [Google]
1487954343531.png
592KB, 914x898px
>anime girls becoming real literally never ever at this pace
>>
Where are they getting these specs on human brains?
>>
>>59952397
Fuck if I know. But even if the measurements being compared to a brain are inaccurate, the goals are just to reach the actual bit/byte sizes posted.
>>
>>59949488
holy fuck so many lies
>>
>>59950519
but lossy as fuck
>>
>>59949488
where is this from?
>>
>>59952591
Ray Kurzweil's predictions about the Singularity.
>>
>>59952876
thank you
>>
>>59950064
I have always felt he's one big snake oil salesmen. I remember reading he used to take 50 pills per day for longevity and stuff.

How can this meme guy be in charge of their engineering department?
>>
>>59949488
The Singularity is religion for techie atheists who are terrified of death and want to have their brains digitized before their meat bodies fail them.
>>
>>59952994
This. Not that it would matter. Your brain is your consciousness. You won't be immortal unless you can prevent that from dying.
>>
>>59953033

The brain is just a platform that your consciousness runs on. There's no feasible reason why you couldn't put it on another platform.

If you're worried about consciousness continuity, just pull a Ship of Theseus on that shit.
>>
>>59952979
I'm not sure. A lot of his prediction goalposts are extremely ambitious if not outright wrong.

>>59952994
>>59953033
It seems DOABLE but not within the lifespan of the people who worship it so hard. Eventually I wouldn't be surprised if humanity reaches a "singularity", but it would be hundreds to thousands of years in the future.

>>59953084
Hard problem of consciousness.

If there IS no hard problem and there's no "you" in the first place, >>59953033
would be incorrect. As long as you replicate the physical composition of the conscious "you" you'll resume being. From a hard materialist philosophical standpoint, anyway.

If there is a hard problem, then you'd need to SoT. If you need to SoT, you're also out of luck, because that technology is nowhere near soon.
>>
>>59952994
It's the fusion of computer science. "Muh fusion" is what a physicist says when confronted with old age and the reality that he'll die before seeing reliable cheap energy.
>>
>>59952501
>but lossy as fuck

Not necessarily. It only loses stuff that you do not practice often, ie. something you do once and then forget. Which is not unlike DRAM which needs its data periodically refreshed to retain it.
>>
>>59949488
He is a meme, just like strong AI and quantum computers.
>>
>>59953214
Actually is what they say when you propose feasible alternatives like thorium.
Nobody wants to change so they go for the most unfeasible option out there.
>>
>>59953190
>the physical composition of the conscious "you"
Everybody knows that there is no physical anything.
Consciousness is just a task iterating over the emulated beings which are objects in RAM.
>>
>>59953425
>Everybody knows that there is no physical anything.
What did he mean by this?
>>
>household robot

that's all I want.
>>
>>59953555
Roombas technically qualify.
>>
>>59953490
simulation hypothesis
>>
>>59953555
checked
>>
>>59953689
They can only do one type of cleaning, though.
There's also these guys
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16P5Rqagem8
>>
>>59953689
"Clean a house" isn't within the abilities of a Roomba. They can't clean walls/furniture
>>
Reminder that ray is a literal piano salesman and his "predictions" should be thought of as speculative fiction at best
>>
>>59953932
How could he end up as the head of engineering at google?
>>
>>59953932
Ray's always right about what will happen, but always wrong on the when.

As far as predictions go, that's not too bad.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.