[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dvorak even worth my time?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: Dvorak.jpg (2MB, 2100x2600px) Image search: [Google]
Dvorak.jpg
2MB, 2100x2600px
I already type crappily.
>35-40 WPM
>Looks at keyboard occasionally.
>Improper typing method.
So, I thought maybe learning an new, more efficient layout would be great to become a better typist and lower my risk of arthritis or at least delay arthritis later in my life. And do you think 19 is too late for learning a new layout? So for about a week now, I have been practicing Dvorak. And I keep reverting back to QWERTY so, my typing in Dvorak is inconsistent. What are your suggestions? Should I just relearn QWERTY?
>>
It's going to take a month or three to re-train that muscle memory, ano n

Give Colemak a look too, it's designed for Qwerty transitioners

Carpalx has a few slightly more modern layouts as well, with minimizing RSI as their goal
>>
>>59948773
Thanks Anon!
>>
>>59948650
I learned Dvorak and it's great for typing, but if you do a lot of coding or use keyboard shortcuts it's kind of crappy.
>>
I use colemak, but i don't think it makes much of a difference in terms of raw speed, some people can type ridiculously fast on qwerty
>>
>>59948773
I learned Dvorak in a little over two weeks. I didn't use qwerty that entire time I was learning and just kept an onscreen keyboard up the first few days so I wasn't stupid slow to start.

I would recommend colemak over Dvorak, would have learned it over Dvorak if I knew about it.
>>
>>59948650
it's worth listening to.
>>
How the fuck do you guys deal with going to work or working on laptops etc?
>>
>>59948650
I type at ~110 on qwerty. But I'm a professional typist so I'm outside the norm
Arthritis is a meme, stretch your hands every 15 minutes and you'll be fine.
>>
>>59949577
>Arthritis is a meme
arthritis isn't cts or rsi
>>
>>59948868
yeah, when i was getting into it i realized that i was going to have to rebind fucking everything in every program i use (or live with stretching my fingers to really awkward places)
>>
>>59949550
Work on your own laptop.
>>
Dvorak - probably not, unless you're writing tons of literature in a typewriter fashion.
For computers, there is colemak, which is basically an optimized qwerty with most used shortcuts in the same place. I use it and I'm very happy about it. Transition took about a week or so.
>>
>>59948650
Learn vim bindings instead
>>
File: typing-3.jpg (117KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
typing-3.jpg
117KB, 640x480px
>>59948650
>DVORAK
>In a QWERTY world.

It's like replacing your arms with legs because then you'd be more efficient at running.

Just learn proper finger placement and download the Typing of the the dead and have fun.
>>
>>59949548
this. musical genius.
>>
is wpm that important? I'm a neet and i do 110+wpm, having never worked
>>
>>59949945
I always find impressive the number of modern music that are from the 9th. Even if they aren't obvious like jaws, you can clearly hear his impact on music a little bit everywhere.

>>59948650
azerty is all you need
>>
I use Dvork, speed-wise the difference is negligible, but it's certainly more comfortable which makes typing for long periods much easier.

I don't really understand the shortcut argument, it's not like it's hard to relearn them. That said, I don't often use the CUA shortcuts anyway since 90% of my worktime is spent in Emacs.
>>
>>59948650
Most people are familiar with the themes from his 9th symphony ("From a New World"), and it is a great piece, but I also recommend getting familiar with the lesser-known, but equally-good 8th.
His symphonic poems are also a worthwhile listen. They offer a unique musical interpretation of traditional slavic legeneds.
>>
File: 1491215703422.jpg (42KB, 728x522px) Image search: [Google]
1491215703422.jpg
42KB, 728x522px
>>59950286
Nice shitposting
>>
>>59948650
>dvorshak
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.