[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FSF-Free GNU/Linux Distros

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: heckert_gnu.small.png (5KB, 145x140px) Image search: [Google]
heckert_gnu.small.png
5KB, 145x140px
Has anyone used any of the distros in this list:
https://www.gnu.org/distros/free-distros.en.html

Are they autistic, or do they just werk?
Thinking of doing some light browsing, etc ...
>>
>>59941910

to be recommended by fsf you can't have any nonfree software available and as a technicality you can't officially provide help documentation to people that want to install nonfree software, this isn't a problem if you know your shit but it is a problem if you're using, say, trisquel, and just want something from some ubuntu ppa but you don't use ubuntu normally and it isn't working for some obscure reason and want to ask for help on the forums, nobody will help you: 'why would you want that?!'

this alone makes most of the choices pretty autistic

I'll try to summarise some of the distros on the list:

blag: based on an ANCIENT version of fedora, with the 'beta' version of blag being based on an ANCIENT version of fedora, has fuck all development
gnewsense: an okay distro if we were in 2006, even stallman stopped using it in favour of trisquel, has fuck all development
guix: probably reasonable and is fairly new but I can't say
parabola: based on arch, one of two distros on this list you'll likely end up using (if you go this route)
trisquel: based on ubuntu, the second on the list you'll likely end up using
ututo xs: based on gentoo, documentation is only in spanish, has fuck all development

if you just want a fully foss distro you can roll your own fedora media with linux-libre fairly easily, or you can use debian which is actually foss out of the box (as it uses the linux-libre kernel) and only has nonfree software in the nonfree repos, otherwise you're basically limited to parabola (based on arch) or trisquel (based on ubuntu), the choice is yours
>>
thx alot for the info, and gr8 answer

it is always a pleasure to get an answer like this !!!

i am using debian, among others, right now, so might stick with that ...

(or maybe give Trisquel a try)
>>
>>59941910
Trisquel is a very nice out-of-the-box distro. Parabola is basically Arch without non-free packages. Can't comment on the other ones as I haven't used them.
>>
File: 1383011334380.jpg (21KB, 673x625px) Image search: [Google]
1383011334380.jpg
21KB, 673x625px
Why would you ever want to go full freetard?
>>
>>59941910
Trisquel and Parabola are very nice.

Trisquel for apt.
Parabola for pacman.
>>
>>59944150
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/open-source-misses-the-point.en.html
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.