[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

90's Internet/WWW

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

File: WWW.jpg (119KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
WWW.jpg
119KB, 1200x1200px
What was the Internet like in the 90's? I'm only 21-years-old so I don't remember much from the late 90's and early 2000's (although I do remember going on my father's PC and playing some games) and some stuff like dial-up and AIM.

However -- can some oldfaggots tell me what the 90's Web was like? What was like the 4chan of the 90's? YouTube? Google? Facebook? Some of the best forums of the 90's? How fast did pages load? Just redpill me on the 90's Internet.
>>
>>59941596
Slow, in terms of connection speed and also the updating of the sites themselves.

But to focus on these things is to miss the point entirely.

Much like with the increase in power of our computers isn't felt because of the massive amounts of bloat, so to is the internet not as fast as it should be because of the same reason.
>>
>>59941596

Everyone used screen names. We all were taught "Do not EVER give ANY website your personal information", so seeing this whole social media wave come in was pretty surreal

Sites were further apart and less advertised. There was no "Everyone is on $site", we just had really long Favorites lists since you couldn't really subscribe or follow anything until RSS came along

Pages were typically static blog-style content with the occasional Flash animation.
>>
>>59941596
Web rings and manual web indexes.
Lots of self-hosted blogs and research.

Mind you, my only experience was midway through it, it was apparently much different even 5~ years before I had it.
>>
>>59941723
I think the dwindling size of my Favourites has been a good representation of the change that the internet has gone through.

It's almost as if the "web" paradigm has been replaced by that of a bicycle wheel: where all paths lead to the centre.

Also, articles and journal entries were still written in the more literate and long-form manner of print media rather than the short snap of a series of Tweets that passes for a report today. But that's just the declining level of writing across the board.
>>
https://archive.org/web/
>>
>the 4chan of the 90's
BBSes. Pretty similar, now that I think about it.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.