[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Work at google

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 3

File: google.jpg (26KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
google.jpg
26KB, 900x900px
Is it possible for a self taught programmer to work for a such company like google?

Is it possible to learn on your own without autism?

What do you have to know?
Python + Java + C# + JS/HTMl5 + algorithms + discrete math.

Is it enough?

From what I know they hire people with phd in physic, I am quite sure that physic phd is not going to have such wide knowledge about computers as cs graduate.

So

whats the secret?
>>
>>59940317
no.
>>
>>59940317
You need a portfolio
>>
>>59940317
Graduate from MIT/Ivy or Waterloo in a CS or CS related program with internship.
>>
>>59940317
why u need to work at one of the big 4?
>>
>>59940317
you could clean the toilets or work in the food court
>>
I work at Google, what do you want to know?
>>
>>59940317
>whats the secret?
Be number one in cock sucking?
>>
>>59940317
it is.

have a good portfolio, know your algorithms/data structures and have a degree in ~something~. having no degree + mediocre portfolio is a no-go.

remember, google was started by PhD dropouts. game recognize game. that being said, they were Stanford PhD dropouts -- so they're a cut above the rest in general.

you can list shit out like it's no big deal, but their algorithm questions are no fucking joke. some are downright graduate level tier depending on what you're going for.

it's possible, just really hard. your portfolio has to be rock solid. it can't be filled with just tons of personal projects and shit; it has to include some decent work that companies actively use today, to show that your software engineering skills have longevity and you write maintainable code. scaling is also important.
>>
>>59940317
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2423689/google-is-hiring-programmers-using-a-secret-search-test

in short: yes.

>>59940575
>t. golden boy
>>
In short: You need to get their attention and impress them.

Most commenly with a great portfolio or you could make something outstanding that changed technology or the internet.

Keep in mind that moot got a job at google after he quit 4chan.
>>
By aspiring to work for Google you're already selling yourself short. Why work for cucks when you can have your own startup and sell it to Google after?
>>
>>59940317
>is it possible to learn on your own without autism

well if you can't figure shit out on your own there's no fucking chance you're getting hired by any decent company you fucking autist
>>
>>59940527
>Waterloo
water
loo
nice try, Abhishek
>>
>>59940317
You need to be a state approved shillbot with the elitist preferred credentials to work at Google. If you're a special snowflake and willing they'll higher you, probably. The employment process is basically 50% hard work and 50% indoctrination without question, for most people. They don't tolerate outsiders, hackers and rebels, but once you belong to the company, you're basically apart of a techno-communist cult that supplies you with everything you need in practicality, so that you never leave untill you're sucked dry.
>>
>>59940629
>that being said, they were Stanford dropouts -- so they're a cut above the rest in general.
Kill yourself. I can't think of anything better to say that expresses my opinion of that statement.

I fucking hate you American "intellectuals".
>>
>>59941418
>Keep in mind that moot got a job at google after he quit 4chan.

only because he's a feminist cuck
>>
>>59942317
Whats wrong with his opinion?

Plenty of EU univ and low tier murrica uni produce cs graduates unable to tell difference between html and js in source page.

But unis like stanford nad harvard are pretty good.
>>
>>59944253
No they aren't, you fucking nitwit. Your American brain has grown up with this kind fuckwad mentality. There's minimal difference in quality of education because most of what's taught in college is text book shit. The only thing that separates it, is it's ability to hire smarter people to teach things that you aren't already able to get from the internet. Ivy league is there for the sole purpose of elitist autophilia. MIT exists as a covert CIA groupthink and any other uni is a trash heap full of self important belligerents who's childhood has deluded them into thinking they're important.
>>
>>59940317
I just had a coding interview on Thursday, so we'll find out soon.
>>
>>59940600
Do you deal a lot with affirmative action and general SJW faggotry?
>>
>>59944674
I am from europe and there is big difference between Mit/Zurich Eth and some shitty uni from eu or murrica.

People makes the difference. Not professors, but students.

Good uni is full of people with high gpa, usually it means such people were doing good in school, they know how to learn on their own, usually they are motivated and systematic.

High gpa from school, means that they were able to study and learn fast from different subject.

Now

You have good uni with group of 100 people that know why they are on cs, even if professor is shit it does not matter, because they will learn on their own. There is high chance that many of students are going to work on some side cs related project or join programming/algo clubs which will make them better at cs.

Now in compare, shitty uni with few people that want to learn and majority of people that do not know what they want but they spend most of youth staring on pc so they study CS. Most of them will try just to pass, they do not want to understand anything or learn anything new, they do not have plans for future, zero motivation. Majority of then just play video games in free time.

btw. smart but lazy is a meme
>>
What are the interview questions like for a Google SRE? I have no interest in algorithm games, but I love systems engineering.
>>
>>59945058
People are not special. High GPA isn't special. Expensive college isn't special. If you believe people who go to Ivy league/aristocratic college are smarter than average, kill yourself. They figured out how to bend the fuck over more than others. Living a life like that isn't a life, you're being conditioned into a useful tool. If you have convinced yourself that this is what success is, keep going. It's what you're probably only worth living for.
>>
>>59945058
Wasn't there a study that Stanford students were no less successful than public college students? Lmao. Stop being insecure because you've wasted your life working for something that's a facade.
>>
>>59940317
The reason math grade get jobs is because they can write real complex algorithms which are well beyond most comp sci fags.
>>
>>59941993
>when meme starts to interfere with your cognitive ability

It's the top Canadian CS university. The admission requirement is really high.
>>
>>59946281
source?
>>
>>59946238
Anon, you sound a little upset there. Had a bad time in college?
>>
>>59940317
They actual monitor your searches and will present you with programming questions as an application if your search history indicates you're a good programmer.
>>
>>59940317
A portfolio with some good projects is what you're judged upon.
>>
>>59940317
Have a decent resume and being able to answer the questions will get you far. Essentially when they give you a programming problem they have expected solutions that determine how well you'll fit (Or so I'm told by my friends that work at Google). You'll need to be able to first come up with a solution and then from there make your solution more efficient in both memory usage and run time performance.

Generally a good idea is to not stop talking while you're writing your code on the white board. They want to hear your thought process and see how you come to your conclusion.

I can't say that this is guaranteed to work, I did all possible interviews but didn't get considered (and for obvious reasons as I had a few mediocre and rushed solutions). Overall it seemed like a pretty fair process, but I'm personally not interested in going through it again (or at least not for a couple more years).
>>
>>59947978
Oh and one last thing, I remember my recruiter told me that generally people don't get hired the first time around, it's usually the second or third try.
>>
>>59940317
Ivy League + jerk off to data structures you wont use 90% of the time + invert a binary tree + sum the prime below 7 million + C++ + Linear/Discrete/calc for machine learning + than invert a quadtree + eat a textbook on graph theory + pray to your google overlords

congratulation! welcome to google
>>
>>59940317
Google interviews everybody but their interviews are incredibly hard. They don't give a fuck your background, they just want to see if you can pass the interview.

Really, they're looking for IQ. That's what the big 4 are really looking for and if you can prove it to them you get the status that they share with you.

Based on the question you asked and the way you framed it I don't think you're getting there. Sorry. Not to be a smartass like many google employees are, but you're not even close on your guess of what you need to know. Why don't you learn programming and then see if you want to work there?
>>
>>59940635
that guy was fired last year lmao
>>
>>59948154
No Ivy league necessary. I went to UW and they interviewed me. The rest of your post is completely accurate though, lol
>>
The irony of it is, you usually need to come form a target school yet lot of the founders never fucking graduated college.
>>
>>59945058
This guy gets it.
This is what makes up the cost difference between a university like Stanford and some no-name state university.

Easy way to tell if your university is good: Go to a student and ask them "Do you enjoy group projects?"
>>
>>59940317
Major is physics.
Dennis Ritchie majored in Physics.
If you go into Physics, everyone will want to hire you, from Google, to financial companies, etc.
Physicsists are the master race.
>>
if u can get that point by ur self why don't u make ur own google idiot.
>>
>>59945058
How do I stop being the student you've described in the latter part?
>>
>>59940317
youtube.com/watch?v=FKfSq5cQWRs
>>
>>59948193
Nails it.

OP, if you want to work for google or similar company then you should take a discrete math course, a data structures course, an algorithms course and if you want to extra "it" factor a follow up algorithms course.

Then go through EPI and CTCI. Review your CLRS / problem sets from CLRS aaa necessary.

Congrats now you have more than enough to understand / solve / optimize solutions on top coder, leet code, hacker rank and similar sites.

Get to the point of completing medium and hard leetcode problems. Tons and tons of practice until you nail just about every medium - hard problem you did

Congrats now it is likely you'll see the same leet code problem variant in your interview.

Next apply to google and get noticed. I'lol let you figure out the "get noticed" part on your own.

Congrats now you got an interview and your chances of being hired minus any stupid social malfunctions / panic attacks and/or random factors are very good!
>>
>>59951387
On mobile. Not correcting any of that.
>>
>>59946238
>People are not special. High GPA isn't special.
You are right here, high gpa is not special yet so many people struggle to pass, What does it tell us about such people?

Dumb people with low gpa usually lack basic like:
>motivation
>self discipline
>systematic study
Sound very simple, but for majority of humans its too hard to study few hours everyday.

>If you believe people who go to Ivy league/aristocratic college are smarter than average, kill yourself. They figured out how to bend the fuck over more than others.

I believe that being in group of people who love to math problems and programming, who loves to code in free time, people who participate in programming competitions will force you to study harder just to being able to compete with such people.

On the other hand in some shitty uni with low avg gpa you will see people mad every time they are asked to do some exercise that require programming and every math formula.

I think the biggest problem you have with ivy league is fact that there are people form old money. Thats why you refer to it with "aristocracy", but if you look at ivy league student statistic it turns out that very big group of people are poorfags from third world country on scholarship.

>Living a life like that isn't a life, you're being conditioned into a useful tool. If you have convinced yourself that this is what success is, keep going.

t. first world citizen. You have no idea how real life looks like for 80% of humans.

Its comfy 10/10 to be rebel against system in first world, with hot current water, cheap food, medical care and high salary (40k $/year is a lot). Thats why such thing like depression and other memes are popular in first world.
>>
>>59940317
Yes. There are employees without college degrees and I think there are employees who didn't even go to college.
I member that guy barnacles didn't attend a single day of college and he used to work at Microsoft. I know, different company but still it's proof of concept.
>>
>>59940548
Answer this.
>>
>>59952001
Because in majority of big IT companies you are going to code webaplets in java or maintain some shitty legacy code.

Working in big four gives you small chances to work on interesting projects + high salary.

Its especially true outside of USA, when you live in country where majority of companies are outsourcing because they can pay few times lower salary for same shitty job, google/fb/m$ looks like miracle.
>>
>>59952109
Why are these crossed-out?
>>
>>59952098
If you want to do interesting work, you apply for interesting jobs. The vast majority of which do not happen to be at a couple of advertising companies which employ >1% of all programmers. If you think Google does any less CRUD on a per-capita basis, it's time to lay off the kool-aid.
>>
File: sadPaypay.jpg (26KB, 500x366px) Image search: [Google]
sadPaypay.jpg
26KB, 500x366px
When I was 19yo no one told me
>anon, do not go on some meme uni with alot of software engineering subject
>go on cs degree where majority of subject are math or math related, focus on math and algos.
>if you are good at math it means, you are able to use logic and thin analytically,
>it means you can learn anything cs related pretty fast and deep math knowledge will let you understand most CS problems on deep level because CS itself derived from math.
>thats why there is plenty of math/physic phd in big four, they are smar in general

JUST
>>
>>59951893
>t.wise old man in college
>>
>>59949752
see
>>59951387
>>
>>59951387
>>59948154

thx
>>
>>59951893
You're just saying the same shit which is all conjecture.

Getting into college proves very little in terms of character and greater in terms of bootlicking.

You want to the best bootlicker. Go ahead and keep trying to convince of something I don't care for.
>>
>>59955029
>>59953830
>>
>>59940317
why would you want to work at Google?
>>
Sophomore in University, any example or outline as to how to make a good portfolio?
> don't wanna google shit rn
>>
>>59946532
McGill is, actually. But Waterloo is definitely close second.
>>
>>59955107
>“Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars.”
>>
>>59940317
>Is it possible for a self taught programmer to work for a such company like google?

Yes. I was contacted by Google recruiting and asked to come and my programming skills are mostly self taught.

>Is it possible to learn on your own without autism?

This is the wrong place to ask about autism. I have never been diagnosed with autism.

>What do you have to know?

My strength was inventive thinking and prototyping in all sorts of languages.

>Python + Java + C# + JS/HTMl5 + algorithms + discrete math.

I never did a line Python, Java or C#. Algorithms, and developing new ones is my field.

>Is it enough?

You need one thing to stand out from the thousands that apply every day.

>From what I know they hire people with phd in physic, I am quite sure that physic phd is not going to have such wide knowledge about computers as cs graduate.

As it happens I have a BSc and PhD in Physics.

>So
>whats the secret?

Same as with most employer: you need to tel them why they should chose you and not the thousands of other well qualified people out there.
>>
>>59957746
>>
>>59940600
Not op but, with some high theoretical knowledge of logic+maths and a decent but-not-great programming skills, can one do something at Google?
>>
>>59958941
>high theoretical knowledge of logic+maths
What does high mean?
>>
>>59948571
Phd in Mathematics > Phd in Physics
>>
>>59940317
yes. You wouldn't even be the first. Although you have to be really good at what you do and if they have to choose between you and someone with a CS degree, they'll most likely choose the other person, UNLESS you have some really awesome portfolio or track record.
Tl;dr: don't expect to get hired just because you're a programmer. They have them in abundance and Google can afford to be picky.

And if you have to go to college, math is your best bet.
>>
>>59959188
It is worth noticing that no examples were offered. The wr0ks of a mathematician?
>>
>>59958997
Masters level
>>
>>59959232
Indeed. What I can tell from my experience is that despite in physics there's a lot of maths involved, they're merely used as a tool, and quite often not deeply understood. So in this "understand better than just use" game, the mathematical mind is more used to both use and conceive the foundations of what's being used.
>>
>>59951893
not the guy you replied to, but

>high GPA is not special, yet many struggle to pass
Many are downright retarded and you wouldn't believe how many dumbasses make it into elite schools. Especially in the west, where you can get in with just shelling out the cash.

>for the majority it's too hard to study few hours every day.
If you can allocate the time it's not hard. Question is if you want to since not everything you learn in college is going to be useful.

>being surrounded by high GPA math-tards and codemonkeys
You don't find many of those in any school. Period. If you go to a decent school, chances are there is a group of nerds like that.

>t. First World Citizen
Pajeet confirmed. You know, our parents just shell out the money and we make it into Ivy league. Because mom and dad attended that school and our grandparents and it's basically a family tradition. We get connections and have a good time and still pass our tests. Because there are very few places that care about your college GPA if you graduate from Ivy League.
That doesn't make hard work obsolete, but if you think elite universities produce the smartest people, you're dead wrong. They produce elitism and conter-selection.

tl;dr: poo in the loo
>>
>>59940317
yes, google hires people without degrees.
I have a relative that worked on google glass and is still there and he didn't even finish a year of college.
>>
>>59940317
see
>>59960208
>>
>>59959313
At my university, the Physicists know more math than the Mathematicians.
>that despite in physics there's a lot of maths involved, they're merely used as a tool, and quite often not deeply understood
In my experience this describes engineers, not physicists.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.