[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Linux will make your old computer run like a new one! >check

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

>Linux will make your old computer run like a new one!
>check system requirements
>they are on par with Windows 8/10 requirements
What happened?
Why Linux doesn't have one of the most sought features anymore?
>>
>>59938999
Linux actually uses more RAM than Windows 10 now.
So does my phone.
>>
>>59938999
Depends on the Distro
>>
>>59938999
windows 10 can run on 32mb ram ?
>>
>>59938999
"I don't know puppy Linux nor Lubuntu"
-the thread
>>
>>59938999
depends on the distro and the hardware you are using.
>>
Linux doesn't use more RAM.

Boot linux and windows - windows has less ram used than Linux and see that windows uses less ram.

Now check swap - Linux = 0kb vs Windows 6GB taken at boot lmao.

Windows just swaps better than linoox.
>>
>>59939496
>swaps better
You mean worse?
>>
>>59939021
Unused ram is wasted ram
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (34KB, 1282x723px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
34KB, 1282x723px
>>59938999
>Boot toughbook, linux mint XFCE edition
>400MB on startup and launch chromium with SSD swap
>It's actually really responsive and shitpost capable.

>Put Antergos with ZFS on laptop with 2GB of RAM and a core 2 T7XXX CPU
>Turn on LZ4 compression for root during install
>Reboot into OS and it works fine, swapping quickly and reasonably with standard sync
>>
File: Screenshot_63.png (28KB, 473x549px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_63.png
28KB, 473x549px
Ubuntu requires something like a 700mhz processor, 512mb of ram, 5gb of space. Thats their recommended minimum though it can run on lower, just very poorly.

Meanwhile, DSL is capable of running with a GUI on my Thinkpad 380ED from 1997
pic related
>>
>>59939691
ZFS on a laptop with motherfucking 2GB
>heh
>>
>>59939564
So that's why everyone is using electron now.
>>
>>59939724
>Muh RAM usage
is really just a meme. You choose how much you want to foist into memory.
Most people turn on gzip, dedup, and stick everything into a single damned vdev and wonder why it's slow without fuckloads of RAM and a warmup period.
Caching 70GB of associated metadata costs almost nothing.
The added free RAM of actual primary caching sped it up, interestingly enough.

Six fucking gigs on root install, beat that.
Plus it automatically short strokes the disk for better swap sequential.
It's heavier on CPU overall by the way of lz4, but that's it.
>>
>>59939564
Unused ram is ram that can start being used at a moments notice during a later point in time.
>>
>>59939858
not that i care about ram but i guess you're either don't get or simply ignore for what/when ZFS should be used in the first place.
But if you like it, roll with it.
>>
When people get more powerful hardware, all that performance goes into easier-to-make and less efficient software.
>>
File: 1491193386284.jpg (72KB, 800x534px) Image search: [Google]
1491193386284.jpg
72KB, 800x534px
>>59939986
I have quite the heavy duty server setup already running it.
I realize the risks of running without ECC memory as well. Due to how caching works I run the risk of data loss without ECC.
But compared to how many mistakes spinning disks make it's got some gains. Far better than any other file system that would just as soon make the mistake of writing bad data to disk.
I run another laptop with an actual mirror of SSDs going and it did save my junk from a sudden loss of 150MBs of sectors.

Being able, for the most part, to tell what system files are damaged, even without being able to regenerate them, is a godsend for having something that just works.
The feature set is the cherry on top and I think a lot of people dis it on smaller systems where it can generally work extremely well, because it's not approved by the FS gurus.
>>
>>59939908
Well I can have all my RAM used to cache stuff and according to you it's unused.
>>
File: sjwdetected.png (228KB, 630x314px) Image search: [Google]
sjwdetected.png
228KB, 630x314px
>>59938999
>they are on par with Windows 8/10 requirements

mfw you b8 this hard
>>
>>59938999
This is true though, on Windows 7 with 8gb of memory I can't have 30 tabs open all at the same time as well as multiple 1mb+ images and a video playing without my usage being at 99% and grinding everything to a halt for 30 minutes, but on Linux not even half of my ram is being used with double the amount of tabs.
>>
File: Untitled.png (95KB, 2097x474px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
95KB, 2097x474px
>>59940672
>>
>>59940790
Do you think Unity is the only DE/WM?
>also
Recommended != minimum. Unlike Ubuntu, W10 is unusable on 1GB.
>>
>>59940790
Picking most fully featured and RAM hungry distribution there is. Tiny Core Linux can run on system with 42MB of ram and i486DX. If you go full DIY you can run Linux on ATmega1284p.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm0POwEtiqE
Can Windows do that?
>>
>>59938999
It is a bit rubbish, my old Pentium III still runs Debian 8 fine on 512MB SDRAM

Yes, I still use it with my OS on RAID-0
>>
>>59939496
>>59939496

64 bit Linux is usable with 2GB and better with 4GB (in my case CentOS7)
Win7-64 is barely usable with 2GB, you need 4GB to be able to do anything above opening Wordpad.
Win8-10-64bit is completely unusable with 2GB, and doesn't get any better until you have at least 8GB.
>>
>>59941006
No, my Android phone is probably worse.
Linux still isn't even at Windows 98 levels of functionality and it's quickly growing more bloated than Windows 10.
>>
>>59941006
>Tiny Core Linux can run on system with 42MB of ram and i486DX. If you go full DIY you can run Linux on ATmega1284p.
You can use an embedded windows and do the same.
>Can Windows do that?
I'm reasonably sure you could, if one could tinker with the source.
>>59941078
>and doesn't get any better until you have at least 8GB.
Nigga, what are you smoking?
>>
>>59941124
>Linux still isn't even at Windows 98 levels of functionality
???

>>59941201
>You can use an embedded windows
No thanks.
>>
>>59941201
>Nigga, what are you smoking?

My wife and two of my kids updated to Win 10 from Win7. Everyone complained of performance issues but they all had 4GB of RAM, which was fine under Win7 for the stuff they were doing. I ended up upgrading all of them to 8GB and they're happy now.

The flip of that is I installed Win10 on my netbook with 2GB of RAM on it. It took 5-10 minutes from login to the thing being responsive enough to use, and doing something trivial like opening up Firefox would cause it to bog down so badly I would walk away, grab a drink, flip some channels, and come back before I could attempt to open any website. I nuked it after a few days and went back to Win7.
>>
OP is dumb but he has kind of a point.

Gnome 3 is a common default DE and it is kind of heavy.

But... it is trivial to pick another DE even if you're a newbie. The major distros have XFCE or LXDE versions, or you can just install something like that yourself.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.